nopy.to discussion & feedback

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
First I really like nopy. Usually decent speed, no throttling. Yesterday I try to download Harem Hotel and many of the custer speed were around 1 Mb/s or even slower. Often the time for the download were around 3 hours (for 5-6GB). I tried a few time and then I was able to download it with arround 200 MB/s.
I live in central Europe and have a symmetric 1 GB/s connection. The only two factor who usually let the speed drop are my own PC and the server who supplied the datastream.

So is this normal or not? And if you want I could help you with e.g. speed measurement.

Other than that, for the same game I do update patchs and would like if I could use your service to make them available to the others.

And last but not least, thank you and the nopy team for your awesome servers that let us download without a hassle.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
First I really like nopy. Usually decent speed, no throttling. Yesterday I try to download Harem Hotel and many of the custer speed were around 1 Mb/s or even slower. Often the time for the download were around 3 hours (for 5-6GB). I tried a few time and then I was able to download it with arround 200 MB/s.
I live in central Europe and have a symmetric 1 GB/s connection. The only two factor who usually let the speed drop are my own PC and the server who supplied the datastream.

So is this normal or not? And if you want I could help you with e.g. speed measurement.

Other than that, for the same game I do update patchs and would like if I could use your service to make them available to the others.

And last but not least, thank you and the nopy team for your awesome servers that let us download without a hassle.
The most probably reason for the slowdown yesterday was bandwidth; think how many hundreds, maybe thousands of people all trying to download Harem Hotel at the same time; not to mention all the other files people are requesting. :)

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
The most probably reason for the slowdown yesterday was bandwidth; think how many hundreds, maybe thousands of people all trying to download Harem Hotel at the same time; not to mention all the other files people are requesting. :)
Sure, one possibility. Yet what was suprising that some cluster could "deliver".

Last edited:

Deadpool76

Dec 29, 2017
Sure, one possibility. Yet what was suprising that some cluster was could "deliver".
I've been experiencing slowdowns on Nopy for the last few days also. Some sub 1Mb/S. :cautious:
Can't be on my connection, since MEGA is running as fast a I've ever seen.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I've been experiencing slowdowns on Nopy for the last few days also. Some sub 1Mb/S. :cautious:
Can't be on my connection, since MEGA is running as fast a I've ever seen.
There have been a lot of big files released on Nopy in the past few days, these are eating at the bandwidth available for the service; you can see all the info here -

wildride

Jul 5, 2017
Not getting slow downloads, but keeps failing at around 100mb downloaded. I thought it was my broadband or wifi as I just changed provider, still could be, wired or wireless doesnt matter it behaves the same. The files will download from other mirrors which makes me think its something particular with Nopy. They appear to have had similar issues a couple of years ago and fixed it, might be a re-occurance of the same thing.

Hopefully they sort it out as they were the most reliable and fastest imo.

eric78

Jun 16, 2019
Not getting slow downloads, but keeps failing at around 100mb downloaded. I thought it was my broadband or wifi as I just changed provider, still could be, wired or wireless doesnt matter it behaves the same. The files will download from other mirrors which makes me think its something particular with Nopy. They appear to have had similar issues a couple of years ago and fixed it, might be a re-occurance of the same thing.

Hopefully they sort it out as they were the most reliable and fastest imo.
Yes this what I'm getting as well, usually it fails with some games which are under 1GB amd some larger games as well, didn't have any issues previously

HarryHill99

Dec 29, 2019
Actually F95 turned me on to nopy and became a patron to help out in a small way. Though also in the last couple days also noticed some really lower performance from the N.A. clusters. Used to get >1MiB/s but now am seeing ~120KiB/s so about 1/8th the performance. From the stats link it appears that there are no cache servers online for N.A.? though didn't look before so don't know if that's different or not.

Just hoping that it will improve. :)

Feb 9, 2019
Will be ever any git repo for your project? Cuz sometimes it's very interesting to check some hints & things working pattern and their code implementation.

nopy

nopy.to
Respected User
Jan 4, 2019
Apologies for the slow down for the past few days, a number of large files were uploaded and shared at once which caused significant strain on the servers. We saw ~2.5x our usual peak traffic, additionally as the files were rather large, it caused issues with memory caching on the servers leading to IO bottlenecks, even with SSDs.

I've made some changes to help try to mitigate the traffic we're seeing, but as things are calming down anyway, hopefully everyone should see things returning to normal.

We're hoping to make some further upgrades in November to better deal with these kind of "perfect storm" traffic spikes, but as a free service, even with the support we get from our fantastic userbase, it is inevitable that we will sometimes have slowdowns like this, and unfortunately shows why we don't have account registration open at the moment.

nopy

nopy.to
Respected User
Jan 4, 2019
Will be ever any git repo for your project? Cuz sometimes it's very interesting to check some hints & things working pattern and their code implementation.
There's no plans to open source at the moment, the codebase would require some changes before it would be ready for that. Perhaps in the future, we'll see :)

Reactions: JianYang-69

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
After activating https-only, a new feature in Firefox 83, downloads from nopy stop working. However, the generated download comes from an https-connection. I tried looking into it with the console, but my proficiency isn't high enough to find out what's going on. Not sure if it's really an issue, but other downloadsites work just fine. Can you shed some light on that please?

Steps to reproduce:
Install Firefox 83, configure https for all windows (settings, privacy and security, near the bottom) and click on download in a nopy link.

nopy

nopy.to
Respected User
Jan 4, 2019
Install Firefox 83, configure https for all windows (settings, privacy and security, near the bottom) and click on download in a nopy link.
I can't seem to reproduce it, are you seeing an error or anything like that? Please can you try pressing F12 and going to the network tab when you click the download button and taking a screenshot? Also any errors in the console tab?

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
I can't seem to reproduce it, are you seeing an error or anything like that?
After clicking in the link the dialog where to save the target pops up, and that's followed by an error. I assume because Firefox starts the download before I choose a target location. I've never seen the problem before, it only started after activating HTTPS only, and disappeared after I deactivated it. But perhaps there's more to it, see below.
2020-11-18 13_54_50-nopy.to - free high speed file hosting.png
Oddly enough, when I tried to take a second screenshot of the network section of the console, the download would work. This one points to cache1.files.nopy.to, so perhaps the error is host specific?
2020-11-18 14_01_07-nopy.to - free high speed file hosting.png

DanMachiFan

Jan 22, 2018
FallenLondon
Leaving aside the weird fact that the download started by itself, do you usually save in that folder?
If no, then it's possible that the error is due to a lack of privileges, as I've just tried to download from nopy the same game in the same folder and I haven't had any problems (both with HTTPS Everywhere and with the built-in function in firefox).
In case you haven't already, try saving another file in that folder to see if it gives you the same error.

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
FallenLondon
Leaving aside the weird fact that the download started by itself, do you usually save in that folder?
You misunderstand, I don't automatically download and I don't save in that folder. The error pops up before I can choose the location I want to save the file in. I assume FF starts downloading in the background on clicking a link, perfectly reasonable behaviour to speed up the user experience, and using the temp-folder for storage for that background is also reasonable, although slightly unexpected (cache-folder in the FF-profile would seem more logical to me, but I didn't program the beast so what do I know :) )

Anyway, the problem seems to be (largely?) gone. I did a couple of trial downloads and they all behaved perfectly fine.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
nopy
I've encountered this error message. It only happens one specific servers, this time on the file server cache 14 and 10 (2020-11-22T09:18+01:00).
For this file:
1606033063590.png

Edit: Happen's with another game too, also file server cache 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: cooldude33