nopy.to discussion & feedback

nopy

nopy.to
Respected User
Jan 4, 2019
nopy
I've encountered this error message. It only happens one specific servers, this time on the file server cache 14 and 10 (2020-11-22T09:18+01:00).
For this file:
View attachment 910810

Edit: Happen's with another game too, also file server cache 10.
I've removed cache10 from the cluster for the time being. All of the EU cache cluster is going to be replaced over the next week or 2, hopefully fixing the issues we've been seeing with IO and memory limits.

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
I've removed cache10 from the cluster for the time being. All of the EU cache cluster is going to be replaced over the next week or 2, hopefully fixing the issues we've been seeing with IO and memory limits.
Server cache14 borked on me just now, just like it happened to c3po. If I find more servers I'll report them here.

fakersama

May 11, 2017
Been downloading from Nopy since early 2019 and besides the usual slowdowns due to peak times i've never had any real issues with the site. But, since a couple days ago i've been unable to download at a decent rate. I've tried all the eu servers and cache i could but the speed fluctuates between 500kB/s and 1400-1500kB/s when last time i downloaded something on the 22th i had no issues in downloading them at 4500/5000kB/s. Tried to flushdns, restart pc and modem, check the routing vpn/no vpn but can't get any higher than that. Tried to download via mega/steam and i do get my maximum speed off of them

nopy

nopy.to
Respected User
Jan 4, 2019
Server cache14 borked on me just now, just like it happened to c3po. If I find more servers I'll report them here.
Removed from the pool as well.

Been downloading from Nopy since early 2019 and besides the usual slowdowns due to peak times i've never had any real issues with the site. But, since a couple days ago i've been unable to download at a decent rate. I've tried all the eu servers and cache i could but the speed fluctuates between 500kB/s and 1400-1500kB/s when last time i downloaded something on the 22th i had no issues in downloading them at 4500/5000kB/s. Tried to flushdns, restart pc and modem, check the routing vpn/no vpn but can't get any higher than that. Tried to download via mega/steam and i do get my maximum speed off of them
Some of the older servers in the EU cache cluster have been having some problems, we have 5x10Gbps servers replacing the legacy EU cache servers which should be online in the coming days.

MakinWaves

Love & Vice
Game Developer
Nov 25, 2020
Keep up the great work. nopy has become my preferred upload link for the games found here. Very smooth experience. Hope to see account registration open up at some point.

• Red Heart
Reactions: nopy

nopy

nopy.to
Respected User
Jan 4, 2019

As I'm sure many of you noticed, November was a turbulent time for nopy. Not only did we hit a new record with 9.3 petabytes transferred, in mid November a series of very large files were uploaded which also proved incredibly popular. This resulted in almost triple our normal traffic, although the big issue was the sheer size of the files, slowing nopy to a crawl and even crashing a few servers in both the EU and NA cache cluster.

The Problem

The way the cache cluster works is to offload very popular files to a dedicated cluster, thereby improving speeds for popular files whilst also reducing load on the normal file servers. The cache cluster featured servers with 1 or 2 SSDs and 32GB RAM, and until now this setup worked reasonably well, whilst we did see some occasional issues hitting the memory limit, these were rare and temporary. Additionally, many of the SSDs on these servers were older models, due to our budget limits.

Unfortunately the perfect storm in mid November completely overwhelmed these servers. We very quickly hit the memory limit, and the legacy SSD storage couldn't keep up with demand, resulting in incomplete transfers for users. Servers with 2 SSDs favoured much better, but still eventually had issues with lack of RAM and legacy SSD speeds.

The Solution

Thankfully, over "Black Friday" we have been able to secure some good deals with a new provider to replace the entire EU and NA cache clusters. All servers in both clusters now have double the RAM (64GB) and 2x Samsung 850/860 Pro SSDs. Additionally, we've been able to secure 10Gbps dedicated ports for these 10 new servers, bringing our total theoretical network capacity to well above 100Gbps. We're also in talks with another provider about the US file cluster, which we'll hopefully have news about soon.

As a non profit service with a finite amount of resources, it's unfortunately inevitable that there will be turbulent periods where our capacity is maxed. Thankfully due to the incredibly generous support of our community, we're able to stay ahead of most of these issues, and upgrade before any real problems hit. Sadly that wasn't the case this time, and we suffered severe impacts to our service. However, the changes and upgrades we've made over the past week should put nopy in a much more stable position to weather the next storm :)

As always, thank you for your support, without which nopy wouldn't exist <3

0Markz0

Donor
Mar 31, 2018
Your server setup looks to have a very good setup for file sharing after the latest updates and i hope it gets donation support to stay in good health. Well done. :giggle: (y)

Edit: Maybe you should run at least google ads just in case as C19 has made it harder for people to work and spend money.

Last edited:

jnexil.to

Sep 1, 2020
You did a great job with nopy. I'm definitely going to do a little donations from time to time as it turns out to be the best way to download at this site apart from torrent and gcloud. It would be great if you consider adding one closer to Eastern Europe since speed is not that perfect here

Last edited:

Maplester

Dec 9, 2017
Why can i always download at max 2-3 MBps, when i download every other Game or whatever with 10-13 MBps ?

Igneel1

The Slayer's Time Is Now
Game Compressor
Jul 1, 2017
Hey!
Could I get an Invite as a developer?
"Invites are completely closed for the time being due to the traffic we're seeing, once the file servers are upgraded to 10Gbps ports we should be in a more stable position, and we'll reassess then " Thats nopy response on discord U can join it to keeps better tabs on when there is a chance for an invite

m1ch43l

Jul 6, 2017
Is anyone else experiencing problems especially with server1 and server8? I hope everything is fixable and fine.

Server1 issues: many downloads reset immediately, after 100MB or just before it finishes (unconvenient with a 8GB download), making download impossible and giving me a "Network error"

Server8 issues: rarely resets downloads but sometimes gives me a "nopy did not send any data" or sth like that.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Is anyone else experiencing problems especially with server1 and server8? I hope everything is fixable and fine.

Server1 issues: many downloads reset immediately, after 100MB or just before it finishes (unconvenient with a 8GB download), making download impossible and giving me a "Network error"

Server8 issues: rarely resets downloads but sometimes gives me a "nopy did not send any data" or sth like that.
Same.

And looks like it related to the server disks. Because downloading resets, if you start it from scratch several times for the same file, on the same point. For example this

breaks almost at the end of a downloading each time.

Update: same happens with eu-cache1

Last edited:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
nopy do you mind me asking which hosts you use?

If you don't want to share or would prefer PM that's fine too, I rent ~30 VPS's/dedicated servers around europe (work etc) but the stability/speed from nopy is pretty nuts.

Noneless

Jul 27, 2017
I have some problems trying to download from nopy.
More specifically "server1.files.nopy.to" is the current error that I see everytime I try to use nopy, and also "nopy did not send any data"

Reactions: lowtierntrgod