Hadron-5

Jul 16, 2023
Holy fuckballs this was good. Really loved the game.

There are some things that stood out to me though.
1. Somewhere in this thread the dev mentioned that "no skills are checked in secret - they exist only as checks for choices to be made". This should be in the tutorial/description. I ran a lot of tests to see if conversations changed based on having/not having certain skills (such as Deb talking about my dadbod with/without strength/powerful). Having that in text from the start would have been nice.

2. Emma is thoroughly incompetent. If that's supposed to be part of the appeal of putting her in her place, that makes sense. Otherwise, she is supposed to be a bachelor/master something in psychology, yet she is less aware of other people's underlying reasoning/personality than Olivia. She is incapable of reason, and she seems to be awful at her job. As a feminist it makes sense that every problem boils down to "man bad", but if she's supposed to be a psychologist it is wholly unreasonable.

3. Emma again. The first time I saw her smile I thought it was a jump scare. Put some white paint on and you have Pennywise from IT. Please make her smile a little less terrifying and uncanny valley.

4. Cheating. A warning of possible side effects when making this choice would be nice (I didn't find any). Also, every choice that follows mentions cheating on Lea; but I was cheating on everyone. Furthermore, since the mental status of the MC is central to the main story, cheating and the stress of getting caught would be an excellent plot tool to add further pressure. Jump scares from getting a text from one girl at night while sleeping with another, having to hide the phone when with one girl and expecting a call from another and all that. Or possibly point out that it's all good. The setup for this game where every girl interaction starts slow and builds up over time means that the player is already invested in a lot of girls (specifically Jen and Lea) by the time you have to make a choice - this makes cheating a much more appealing option. If that's intended, wonderful planning; otherwise, perhaps the commitment choice should come earlier?

5. Uneven distribution of skills. The beginning of the game seems to push MC towards yellow/red, while later on all the good stuff comes from green/red. This is very much a personal choice for me of course, but I do feel that progression paths are somewhat railroaded. I can see how Deb's sub path would be very blue, but going dom with Jen feels like it should be a mix of all four (setting up rules for Jen would be yellow, dominating her would be red, painplay and aftercare would be blue, and convincing her of certain stuff would be green).
Maybe that stuff doesn't matter pointwise, but gathering those points means that the MC would have to be a more balanced person with a wider perspective than just "me man, me no follow rules, me manipulative". It did bother me a little bit that I couldn't be a sympathetic individual without turning into a beta sub, when every emotional choice, such as pointing out that you care about someone, is blue. Or, if you believe that is the correct way to do things, at least provide a red alternative ("you belong to me" or something to that effect).

6. Monologuing like a mad man. The bro-psychology is fun from time to time, but sometimes it gets too much. I know that pretty much every game on f95 will at some point have the MC ramble on with absolute authority like a text book, and I think the dev has solved this immersion-breaking monologue beautifully by making the MC an actual authority. However, it can still be too much, and the regurgitation still breaks immersion to some extent. If the dev could inject a little bit of personality into these parts and make them sound less like a text book it would be great and feel a lot more natural.

7. The project discussion with Bri. Come on man... MC is applying for a grant in social-psych, he should know already that his survey project will be so out of budget it's a joke, and that's before asking Bri for a gwas.

I'm really looking forward to the updates. This is one of few games here on f95 that I've enjoyed all the way and haven't clicked through to skip ahead once. Lea and Jen are amazing, and I didn't even know I had a thing for Emma denigrating herself like a dumb bimbo.

• Angry
Reactions: Cedrog

Gicoo

Feb 18, 2018
1. Somewhere in this thread the dev mentioned that "no skills are checked in secret - they exist only as checks for choices to be made". This should be in the tutorial/description.
This information is found on the second page in the help section in the Skills menu.

2. Emma is thoroughly incompetent. If that's supposed to be part of the appeal of putting her in her place, that makes sense. Otherwise, she is supposed to be a bachelor/master something in psychology, yet she is less aware of other people's underlying reasoning/personality than Olivia.
Academically smart people blundering in their private life is common. Being a psychologist doesn't make you immune to miss social cues and have a stable life yourself. Psychologist being the biggest whackos around is common in media.

4. Cheating. A warning of possible side effects when making this choice would be nice (I didn't find any).
Cheating by itself gives away that its a risky move that can have drastic consequences. If you want to have a wholesome time with Leah, you don't cheat on her. If sooner or later she finds out, breaks up with you, your friends avoid you and you get a punishment in one way or another, its selfexplanotary.

but I was cheating on everyone.
MC doesn't enter in a serious relationship with anyone but Leah. Its casual with most of the girls, a secret with Jen and an affair with Kim.
You already get a cheating status effect later on that changes all stat gains in cunning, Kim in particular comments on your relationship with Leah.

5. Uneven distribution of skills. The beginning of the game seems to push MC towards yellow/red, while later on all the good stuff comes from green/red.
Red and Blue are fairly distributed to get you on the dominant and submissive route respectively, both are fairly distributed - Both with Emma, both with Deb at the beginning, neutral/slightly dom with Leah, neutral/slightly sub with Jen.
Its correct that at the beginning, yellow choices are dominant with Leah, while green choices only start being dominant around chapter 5, when Olivia and Kim make a move.

Reactions: ferso111111

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Holy fuckballs this was good. Really loved the game.

There are some things that stood out to me though.
1. Somewhere in this thread the dev mentioned that "no skills are checked in secret - they exist only as checks for choices to be made". This should be in the tutorial/description. I ran a lot of tests to see if conversations changed based on having/not having certain skills (such as Deb talking about my dadbod with/without strength/powerful). Having that in text from the start would have been nice.

2. Emma is thoroughly incompetent. If that's supposed to be part of the appeal of putting her in her place, that makes sense. Otherwise, she is supposed to be a bachelor/master something in psychology, yet she is less aware of other people's underlying reasoning/personality than Olivia. She is incapable of reason, and she seems to be awful at her job. As a feminist it makes sense that every problem boils down to "man bad", but if she's supposed to be a psychologist it is wholly unreasonable.

3. Emma again. The first time I saw her smile I thought it was a jump scare. Put some white paint on and you have Pennywise from IT. Please make her smile a little less terrifying and uncanny valley.

4. Cheating. A warning of possible side effects when making this choice would be nice (I didn't find any). Also, every choice that follows mentions cheating on Lea; but I was cheating on everyone. Furthermore, since the mental status of the MC is central to the main story, cheating and the stress of getting caught would be an excellent plot tool to add further pressure. Jump scares from getting a text from one girl at night while sleeping with another, having to hide the phone when with one girl and expecting a call from another and all that. Or possibly point out that it's all good. The setup for this game where every girl interaction starts slow and builds up over time means that the player is already invested in a lot of girls (specifically Jen and Lea) by the time you have to make a choice - this makes cheating a much more appealing option. If that's intended, wonderful planning; otherwise, perhaps the commitment choice should come earlier?

5. Uneven distribution of skills. The beginning of the game seems to push MC towards yellow/red, while later on all the good stuff comes from green/red. This is very much a personal choice for me of course, but I do feel that progression paths are somewhat railroaded. I can see how Deb's sub path would be very blue, but going dom with Jen feels like it should be a mix of all four (setting up rules for Jen would be yellow, dominating her would be red, painplay and aftercare would be blue, and convincing her of certain stuff would be green).
Maybe that stuff doesn't matter pointwise, but gathering those points means that the MC would have to be a more balanced person with a wider perspective than just "me man, me no follow rules, me manipulative". It did bother me a little bit that I couldn't be a sympathetic individual without turning into a beta sub, when every emotional choice, such as pointing out that you care about someone, is blue. Or, if you believe that is the correct way to do things, at least provide a red alternative ("you belong to me" or something to that effect).

6. Monologuing like a mad man. The bro-psychology is fun from time to time, but sometimes it gets too much. I know that pretty much every game on f95 will at some point have the MC ramble on with absolute authority like a text book, and I think the dev has solved this immersion-breaking monologue beautifully by making the MC an actual authority. However, it can still be too much, and the regurgitation still breaks immersion to some extent. If the dev could inject a little bit of personality into these parts and make them sound less like a text book it would be great and feel a lot more natural.

7. The project discussion with Bri. Come on man... MC is applying for a grant in social-psych, he should know already that his survey project will be so out of budget it's a joke, and that's before asking Bri for a gwas.

I'm really looking forward to the updates. This is one of few games here on f95 that I've enjoyed all the way and haven't clicked through to skip ahead once. Lea and Jen are amazing, and I didn't even know I had a thing for Emma denigrating herself like a dumb bimbo.
Re 4) Or a much less appealing option, depending on the frequency with which they catch you. I understand your initial confusion/surprise - I think it's just Lea's the only one with fleshed out conditions checks for cheating, and hopefully over time dev will implement it for more.

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
Re 4) Or a much less appealing option, depending on the frequency with which they catch you. I understand your initial confusion/surprise - I think it's just Lea's the only one with fleshed out conditions checks for cheating, and hopefully over time dev will implement it for more.
But why? She acceps a noncommitted relationship as far as I see without penalties...

Hadron-5

Jul 16, 2023
This information is found on the second page in the help section in the Skills menu.
I found the information on the forum. I did not find it where I wanted/expected it to be. The topic was not whether the information existed, but if it was where it needed to be. For me, it was not.
Academically smart people blundering in their private life is common. Being a psychologist doesn't make you immune to miss social cues and have a stable life yourself. Psychologist being the biggest whackos around is common in media.
The topic was not that Emma was blundering in her private life. The topic was that Emma failed to act reasonably as a psychologist in her job, i.e. regarding Monika and regarding the harassment claims in her workplace.
Cheating by itself gives away that its a risky move that can have drastic consequences. If you want to have a wholesome time with Leah, you don't cheat on her. If sooner or later she finds out, breaks up with you, your friends avoid you and you get a punishment in one way or another, its selfexplanotary.
The cheating doesn't add any of the stuff you mention though, it just adds more content to the game since you get to experience more paths. There's no risk, explanation of risk, no moments of almost getting caught, and no consequences yet. Players won't expect real life consequences if you don't present them with lifelike scenarios, hence the question.

MC doesn't enter in a serious relationship with anyone but Leah. Its casual with most of the girls, a secret with Jen and an affair with Kim.
You already get a cheating status effect later on that changes all stat gains in cunning, Kim in particular comments on your relationship with Leah.
The relationship with Jen is definitely serious, MC is risking his job for it. As for Kim I don't know, I didn't feel interested in following her path.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
No, why in this special case....
Oh yah if you pick the non-commmitted relationship I don't think there are any penalties in play. Hopefully in the future these two paths get differentiated and she treats you differently between being a long term boyfriend vs a casual fuckbuddy.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
lol only played this a month ago give or take and already missing Emma. Yup I think I can say she is my favorite now if I cant wait for Emma content the most

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I haven't played through every permutation, but do main plot points change ever? Certain splits, or career changes, for example. They feel like they are hard-coded, but I've only done two main playthroughs, Honourable/Dom (no Jen), and a chameleon sex-addict type.
The core story beats are the same regardless of your romantic path. You could think of it as having a series of "real life events" that are taking place, but you get to make choices about your relationships while the events happen around you.

Practically, the design of the game as it is without plot branches is a the only way that it would be possible for one person to build such a huge project in any reasonable amount of time. So far (and I've posted about this before) the game text is already is significantly longer that the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, and as well as that the solo dev has produced around 7000 images/animations.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
the game text is already is significantly longer that the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy,
I mean yeah if you count "dissolve" and "scene" as words :LOL:

That's not to take away from the dev, he's done great work. But 100,000 words in a renpy script is probably more like 25k words.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017

That's not to take away from the dev, he's done great work. But 100,000 words in a renpy script is probably more like 25k words.
Honestly the only text heavy parts of the game I kind of hate was the Chess tournaments. I only played and read them out of respect for the dev's work but any other playthroughs im hitting the skip button.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017

Counting only dialogue + translatable words (i.e. excludes all renpy code, image statements, comments etc):
The entire readable script is 336,786 words
I was underestimating the length of the LotR trilogy, which is 481000 according to this:

But my point stands: I was not counting anything but readable dialogue, and the game is already huge, of the order of 2-3 large novels, or 1.7 * KJV Bible length.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny

Jack Townsend

Sep 4, 2020
Going to sort the character attributes Harry Potter Hogwarts style. Honorable+Manly=Gryffindor. Honorable+Sensitive=Hufflepufff. Cunning+Manly=Slytherin. Cunning+Sensitive=Ravenclaw.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Going to sort the character attributes Harry Potter Hogwarts style. Honorable+Manly=Gryffindor. Honorable+Sensitive=Hufflepufff. Cunning+Manly=Slytherin. Cunning+Sensitive=Ravenclaw.
Wait, wait, hear him out. I think he's on to something...

Harry potter chess scene:

1708913340864.jpeg

NIF chess scene:

1708913332328.png

It's basically the same thing!!!! Conspiracy CONFIRMED

4.60 star(s) 164 Votes