desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Heh, just this little titbit speaks volumes about your own proclivities. Submissive and doormat are entirely separate things with no correlation between them. Like, you wouldn't think manly meant manly asshole, would you?
Hah, you got me. That is how most people will see it though. At least from our experiences with most of these games. You can't really say there is no correlation between them when they go hand in hand in the majority of cases when it comes to fetishes. It's possible MrSilver will show a very mature handling of these submissive kinks as he has done with the other kinks so far. But the point is that there is probably a large group that wants to be sensitive and caring to the girls but do not want to be submissive in general. I suppose the top line of the blue tree is the most they can stomach, and even then, idolize her and goddess might even be too "simpy" for them.

Dec 27, 2020
I think the same. Very early in the game I counted how many pts I want for the kinks that interest me and no matter how I felt my MC should answer I sometimes chose, for example, cun option just to reach the amount of pts I wanted to reach. So very often my dialogue choices are not motivated by what the MC is saying, but what pts I will get. So I'm a kind of caricature too I guess. I think this could be avoided to some extent by not having dialogue options marked as sen/man/cun/hon, so the player would have to read them and decide which choice sounds better. I know that it won't solve this issue, cause I'd probably would check after every choice what pts I've gained and rollback to chose a different answer so I'll have the pts I want to, but it could help. But yeah, in general I also feel like I'm often choosing my options by looking at their colors and not at their content.
You can always just pick whatever dialogues you want and then cheat the points to unlock skills. That is just a personal solution and I imagine what you wanted was to give constructive criticism on the game mechanics.

I personally didn't have any problem because I am a cunning/manly guy. I could take some honor choices if I wanted since it isn't really opposed to how I am viewing the MC (even though I just cheated to get exhibition online lol). Nothing in the blue tree interests me, so I can just ignore that completely.

I can see why the skill tree doesn't sit right with some people though. The players who like being a sensitive goody goody MC but do not want to be a submissive doormat will probably find the blue tree atrocious. As far as I know, this group is not small. It might even be the majority going by how popular the good guy MC romantic dramas are. So there is indeed a problem if we want a flexible system that has something for everyone while maintaining a sense of immersion.

I think 90% of the blue tree being very clearly submissive might be a bit too much. I think half of them being of the romantic variety and half being submissive would suffice.
My solution approach, and I want to say I am just thinking out loud. I don't demand anything.
Is to mix things up.
The sensitive tree could use caring dom line and the manly tree could get a sub route.
From the BDSM roundtable. I heard that Females found it very Manly when a guy has a high Pain tolerance and can take a beating. . That's what I heard there. I am not into Painplay. So I have to trust them on that.
At least that's something which would bring a solution. I think. Same with cunning and honorable.
It is difficult. It could become hard to balance it out.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020
Heh, just this little titbit speaks volumes about your own proclivities. Submissive and doormat are entirely separate things with no correlation between them. Like, you wouldn't think manly meant manly asshole, would you?
You are right in real life. That's for sure and I agree. But in 95% of the games are simply like that. Submissive MC = Doormat. Dominant MC = Rapist and harasser. I think this game is different and will have a better approach on this theme. I hope so. There aren't so many good BDSM games out there(Male or Femdom).

Frosty2000

Nov 16, 2017
Skill system seems to be pretty set by now. Sure there could be improvements. Personally there is nothing for me in the manly tree kink wise, and in real life I wouldn't score that low on the manly tree either.
Still it works well enough for me, with the other three skill trees, to make my character relatively balanced. I also think it is better not to over complicate things at this stage by changing fundamental parts of the gameplay. Well maybe MrSilverLust will make a Director's Cut some day, where he will "fix" some of these issues. ;)

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
The system has issues, definitely. It was designed to solved some typical problems of AVNs, which I think it was successful at, but created others, maybe even worse.

There might also have been some bad design choices, like you have pointed out, that make a branch very unappealing to a player and gives him little incentive to ever pick a choice from that branch. Also, people get afraid of not having enough points to get their favourite skills. I think these are the biggest issues.

A few thoughts:

There are more gameplay elements besides skills that should influence your choices. One of them was introduced even before the skills in game: some choices give you 5 points because they will be remembered later.

And, already in chapter 1, I also introduced locked options dependently on previous choices.

Just here, you have some reasons to not always be "forced" to pick some choices.

Now, for a couple of stereotypes:
- a bunch of bestsellers aimed at girls have a protagonist that is a "monster" (vampired/werewolf/insensitive millionaire/etc). Those sell because a bunch of girls have the fantasy of picking the bad guy and make them show their sensitive site just for them. If you blindly pick all the manly choices around such girl, she might lose her interest in you. If you show your sensitive side only to her, she might then really fall for you and be more interested in letting you use all those manly skills you like...

- some women might fantasise about dominanting the most powerful of men. These men, on the exterior, might be very manly, and in charge, but in the bedroom they still submit to her, even if they are the fucking president of America. She likes that. Now, if the guy never shows he can take charge and be powerful around her, she won't care about him, no matter how much he wants to sub for her.

Point is, the girls will tell you what they like/want/need. You should listen to them. Sometimes, always picking the choice that gives points for your favourite kinks might not be the right way to get the scenes you want.

There will be a few more tricks to reward players to think about their choices and pick them from all trees.

For example, some scenes will be locked behind more than 1 skill. You can imagine a kink where the girl wants to be tied up, dominated and humiliated. This scene would require "Dominant", "Humiliate her", and "Bondage" skills. For this scene to work, your mc will have to have proven to the girl that he is trustwordy enough that she accepts to be tied up and at his mercy (honorable points), that he has no problems in dishing out some insults, and is good with his words and at dirty talking (cunning), and that he can take control of the situation and lead the action (manly).

Another example is a caring dom needing Dominant, romantic and aftercare for some scene. You can imagine examples for sub players as well.

I'm just trying to create 3 dimensional character, including the mc. And make things more interesting for you. The idea is that you read the choices and make a decision, not that you automatically pick what I labelled for you. Otherwise thats like reading a kinetic novel and kinda boring.

But you need to get enough incentives to pick choices from all branches. This might be the biggest problem and the things I mentioned too subtle to make a difference.

Mister_M

Engaged Member
Apr 2, 2018
The system has issues, definitely. It was designed to solved some typical problems of AVNs, which I think it was successful at, but created others, maybe even worse.

There might also have been some bad design choices, like you have pointed out, that make a branch very unappealing to a player and gives him little incentive to ever pick a choice from that branch. Also, people get afraid of not having enough points to get their favourite skills. I think these are the biggest issues.

A few thoughts:

There are more gameplay elements besides skills that should influence your choices. One of them was introduced even before the skills in game: some choices give you 5 points because they will be remembered later.

And, already in chapter 1, I also introduced locked options dependently on previous choices.

Just here, you have some reasons to not always be "forced" to pick some choices.

- a bunch of bestsellers aimed at girls have a protagonist that is a "monster" (vampired/werewolf/insensitive millionaire/etc). Those sell because a bunch of girls have the fantasy of picking the bad guy and make them show their sensitive site just for them. If you blindly pick all the manly choices around such girl, she might lose her interest in you. If you show your sensitive side only to her, she might then really fall for you and be more interested in letting you use all those manly skills you like...

- some women might fantasise about dominanting the most powerful of men. These men, on the exterior, might be very manly, and in charge, but in the bedroom they still submit to her, even if they are the fucking president of America. She likes that. Now, if the guy never shows he can take charge and be powerful around her, she won't care about him, no matter how much he wants to sub for her.

Point is, the girls will tell you what they like/want/need. You should listen to them. Sometimes, always picking the choice that gives points for your favourite kinks might not be the right way to get the scenes you want.

There will be a few more tricks to reward players to think about their choices and pick them from all trees.

For example, some scenes will be locked behind more than 1 skill. You can imagine a kink where the girl wants to be tied up, dominated and humiliated. This scene would require "Dominant", "Humiliate her", and "Bondage" skills. For this scene to work, your mc will have to have proven to the girl that he is trustwordy enough that she accepts to be tied up and at his mercy (honorable points), that he has no problems in dishing out some insults, and is good with his words and at dirty talking (cunning), and that he can take control of the situation and lead the action (manly).

Another example is a caring dom needing Dominant, romantic and aftercare for some scene. You can imagine examples for sub players as well.

I'm just trying to create 3 dimensional character, including the mc. And make things more interesting for you. The idea is that you read the choices and make a decision, not that you automatically pick what I labelled for you. Otherwise thats like reading a kinetic novel and kinda boring.

But you need to get enough incentives to pick choices from all branches. This might be the biggest problem and the things I mentioned too subtle to make a difference.
What I wrote was not to bash the game or anything, just to comment on how I feel about the issue, smth you maybe will find useful for the future projects, which - I hope - will come. I can say that my decision to quickly max out the skills I want came from the fact that at the beginning I didn't know how generous the game will be with the points (and many adult games don't have the best track record in terms of RPG mechanics imo), so I thought "better safe than sorry" and focused on getting enough pts for my fav skills (mostly taken from sen/hon and a little bit of cun) and only after acquiring them go for other skills in no particular order. So almost right off the bat when I saw the skill tree I went into RPG mode and focused more on getting pts and skills than on giving "real" answers. Often in RPGs when you have different categories of skills they show branches connecting some skills from these categories showing that combining them will unlock some special skills and since I didn't see anything like that here not knowing if I'll have to use few completely different skills in one action I decided not to think too much about it. And anyway, if you'll be still so generous with pts as you are till now I'll have almost all (if not all) my first choice skills in chapter 3 so in chapter 4 I should be focusing on balancing the stats.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018

A few thoughts:

Lol every time you explain your reasoning, it all makes sense. I guess the take away is that you thought things through and that this game is definitely not one dimensional when it comes to character archetypes and kinks. I have a feeling many people (me included) still can't fully extricate themselves from the usual expectations when dealing with fetishes and their MC's persona. That's not the fault of the game. You've shown quite competently through the narrative that these people are indeed very human and are multifaceted. I just have a hard time going against the default "me macho, me asshole" archetype that I almost always pick when given the choice lol. Others might have the oppose "me gud guy, me caring" response. The concern was just that the macho/manipulative dudes would probably see a skill tree full of things they like, while the sensitive folks might not be so lucky. Those sensitive players could then resort to meta gaming rather than the intended natural interactions you want to encourage. It's a tricky thing to address for sure.

Dec 27, 2020
That's a Fantastic Idea.

Discussing that with you all. I changed my perspective a little.
This Metagaming is a maybe a good thing because it added replayability. This can be a good incentive.
Example:
I knew that I will play this game. At least 2 times.
I will play it like an RPG. One where I immerse myself and play a role and skill is irrelevant. I am curious if I get a Girl with my Personality.
And on where I Power Play to life out my power fantasy. In which I be what I can't be in RL.
The Best RPGs have are unbalanced on purpose. Playing an unarmed character in Skyrim is not the best or optimal way, but it is fun and still possible. I hope you get what I mean, folks.

We all get on so nicely here at the moment. Hope in Humankind restored. :)
It only needed a well thought new project.

Reactions: Mister_M

Rinbael

Sep 7, 2018
This seems really interesting to me if it works the way you say. I'm not particularly into male dom because most of the games that have that content end up making it come across as abusive and rapey. The only game that I have played that did it well was the loving dom route for Eve in Summer Scent.

Reactions: Mister_M

Aarghvark

Feb 25, 2019
The game crashing because of shaders (or lack thereof) is bad, especially when it's not obvious one needs to go to options and turn these off. I went and fixed it to fail more gently (it simply won't use the shader instead of crashing), attached is the file to replace.

Some suggestions:

1. Please make an option to flip the board if we're supposed to guess the move for black, looking at it "upside down" is annoying.

2. Perhaps it would be good to mention when skills are introduced that there's no reason to buy them before they are needed. Also, "skills" seem like a weird name for that. Maybe perks, traits, kinks, fetishes?

Also, Lea best girl so far, least problematic and her scenes are hot. I kind of expected a choice to give her back her panties or not could have been interesting.

Reactions: darlic

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
And this can become a problem. A gameplay problem.
See it this way. Your skills are all sex or kink related. The points you can earn during gameplay are most of the time earned by giving answers who are not sexually orientated.
I was playing the game and wanted to give sensitive answers a lot of the time. But I didn't need the Points.
Because I find the Kinks not arousing.
Screenshot 2021-11-03 195001.jpg

I say Romantic yes definitely. Sex Fantasy of course, who hasn't? But the rest, no.
Am I a Caricature now. I don't think so. But this skill tree "forces me" to take the other answer.
I wouldn't like to be punished because one out of 4 skill trees offers me very little. The other Trees are good developed for my playthrough.

It is difficult and as I mentioned before I don't have a solution as well.
Your project is ambitious and I like it.
At the Moment it is immersion vs gameplay vs personal Fetish of the guy or gal who plays your game.
This.

Despite dev's explanation, to me there is a big design flaw in that kink tree and how you get the points. Even if you go for a balanced build, sometimes you will give answers just to get specific points instead of choosing the answer you really want. Maybe it would be better having a single pool of points and then splitting them up in the different branching/trees (like most RPG). Overall I'm not sold on that system, I prefer building my character (and their kinks) from choices only

Otherwise, good game, too bad renders quality is not up to par.

jufot

May 15, 2021
Otherwise, good game, too bad renders quality is not up to par.
FWIW, I like games that dare to differ from the generic Daz snoozefest :) Not just this one, but Dog Days of Summer, Light of my Life, Say It Again, Corruption Time (RIP) all bring something new to the table.

sidsan

Jun 17, 2021
not related to the game but just a general question about how to use old saved files of renpy game in the new version of the game please help

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
What I wrote was not to bash the game or anything, just to comment on how I feel about the issue
Oh, absolutely, don't ever worry about criticizing any feature of the game. I'm just using you guys for brainstorming to improve some weaker areas.

The game crashing because of shaders (or lack thereof) is bad, especially when it's not obvious one needs to go to options and turn these off. I went and fixed it to fail more gently (it simply won't use the shader instead of crashing), attached is the file to replace.
Thank you, that indeed seems way better :)

not related to the game but just a general question about how to use old saved files of renpy game in the new version of the game please help
You should have access to all previous save files once you open a new version, unless they were deleted. You can go to File Explorer window, click the address bar at the top, paste in %APPDATA%/RenPy and see where all save games from all renpy games are stored. Isn’t there a folder named “NothingisForever-1608995867”?

do I need to use a patch file when first playing the game? MrSilverLust
I’d recommend it, because it’s just a few MB and it fixes some bugs with a hint/puzzle section. With the unpatched version, there won’t be any problem if you solve the puzzle at first try, but otherwise you might get issues.

Purple Lagoon

Jun 14, 2020
Hey MrSilverLust, the streamer that analysed the chessgame wasn't by any chance inspired by our good friend Antonio? ;)

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
Hey MrSilverLust, the streamer that analysed the chessgame wasn't by any chance inspired by our good friend Antonio? ;)
Yup, very inspired. He does such a good at explaining things and choosing what variations to show or not that I might as well use his experience and just mimic his content. I even start with "Hey everyone", just didn’t find a place to add "Sorry about that". Another one I use as template is Levy’s videos. Nowadays I think they are great. And I can’t remember if I ever used any of Finegold’s rules yet. But you know, never play f3.

There’s also a little nod to The Queen’s Gambit in one of the previous games when one commenter mentions that some people say the . There are a few more one liners here and there about some of my favorite shows, I’m sure some were picked up.

This reminds me about:

I'm glad you liked Disco Elysium it's one of the best written games I have played since Planescape Torment. I just don't know why more games haven't tried the whole RPG skills having a personality and talking to the player character, it's something I find really interesting and unique.
I’m a bit embarrassed to tell you that I took that idea from an harry Potter fanfic, of all things :ROFLMAO:

It’s , and there Harry also sometimes has conversations with a mental Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and/or Ravenclaw. It was such a fun idea that it stayed in the back of mind and then it kinda fit perfectly for this game. I even chose a serpent and a lion as the images for some of the voices :ROFLMAO: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.
You know what else used talking personalities? Pixar’s Inside out. I haven’t even thought about that until the other day.

There’s really nothing new under the sun, just recycled of old ideas. Next time any of you are in a pub quiz and one of the questions is “What does a groundbreaking RPG game, an Harry Potter fanfic, a children’s movie and a porn game have in common?”, you know what to answer.

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
But going back to the skill system. There has been lots of good feedback here. Reading your comments I identified the biggest problems as:

1) Seemingly little content for players that want to be a good and caring guy, but not submissive. Basically a caring dom. They might identify with many sensitive answers, but see no benefit whatsoever in picking those. This is, to some extent, also present in the reverse for sub players.

2) The Cunning personality is too much associated with a negative stigma. While it has some traits associated with “assholes”, like being egoist, “mean”, cheater, or just not caring, it wasn’t meant to be just that. It was meant to also include charming, witty, smart, or dark humor answers, and the skills should better reflect that.

3) some people don’t enjoy the system for several reasons. Or might become too focused on the strategy side of gathering the points for their preferred kinks, and that becomes detrimental for the roleplay experience. This game is packed with flavor choices so that you can mold your MC as you like. All that work gets wasted if some pre-determine choices are automatically picked based on what points they give. It’s important to incentivize players to collect at least some points from all branches, no matter what playstyle they are going for.

I’ve taken some of your ideas and decided to make a few changes:

-Make it so all playstyles require some skills from the 4 personality trees. This is meant to give more incentives to pick answers from all categories, regardless of what kinks you’re going for. These are generally the vanilla skills that will be used in plenty of situations, regardless if you’re playing a sub, dom, asshole or good guy.

-Introduce more skills in the Sensitive path that are appealing to “caring doms”, so they don’t find it useless to pick Sensitive choices, even though they normally would. That way, sensitive choices aren’t only appealing for sub players.

-Introduce some skills in the Manly path that are useful to sub players, so they can also feel more compelled to pick those choices when appropriated. These are “Teasing”, for situations that required you to be a bratty sub, or to challenge a girl before she gets in the mood of wanting to just crush you; or the “Power/Strength” skill that is attractive for Dommes that are into subs that are Powerful/Strong/Muscular/Have high pain tolerance, etc. Of course both of these will be also used in contexts where you're a dom. Like all vanilla skills, they will be useful in any playstyle.

-Change the name of a lot of skills to be less associated with abusive stuff. That was an original mistake, it’s not what the game is going for. It's meant to provide a healty, realistic, consensual representation of a bunch of kinks, from vanilla to hardcore.

-Clarify some skills that were very limiting and have too much “baggage” associated with them, and might even be misleading. Blackmail, for example. People associate this with the use of coercion to get sexual acts from someone against their will, while I meant a Blackmail Kink, as in, someone that gets turned on by the risk of being exposed, but all played in a consensual manner. There were a bunch of others like these. This doesn't change the plots I have in mind, just how the skills are presented.

-At the same time, also provide some skills for people that actually want to have fun playing the asshole.

-Eliminate some redundancy. We don’t need both “Humiliate me” and “Humiliate her” skills; “Humiliation” is enough to be used in both cases, dependently on the situation. Also, scenes that would require the “degrade a cuck” skill, for example, can instead require both the “Bull” and “Degradation” skills, making that skill unnecessary.

-Add a help screen to give a bit more information/tips and context to the players about the whole skill system.

-Introduce alternative modes of playing the game (new game +) that bypass some/all aspects of the skill system for those that really don’t want it (I’ll talk about this later).

So, this is how the skills screen looks like now, after those changes:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What do you guys think about this? Is this better/clearer?

This doesn’t affect your saves. Except for metagaming reasons, in case you want to go for a different strategy and start anew with more points in some category. That’s the downside of changing this much, but I feel that this is necessary. And it’s still relatively early in the game. In case you really want to start a new save, it’s not that big of an issue, I think. The “Bull” skill is now more expensive, but people that already bought it in older saves get to keep it for the original price.

Mister_M

Engaged Member
Apr 2, 2018
-Introduce some skills in the Manly path that are useful to sub players, so they can also feel more compelled to pick those choices when appropriated. These are “Teasing”, for situations that required you to be a bratty sub, or to challenge a girl before she gets in the mood of wanting to just crush you; or the “Power/Strength” skill that is attractive for Dommes that are into subs that are Powerful/Strong/Muscular/Have high pain tolerance, etc. Of course both of these will be also used in contexts where you're a dom. Like all vanilla skills, they will be useful in any playstyle.
That's nice (esp. since I'm into pain play, though nothing extreme), but I think there should a way of informing the player that this skill or that some skills in general can and will be used like that, so the sub player won't be suprised when the game will ask him for dom skill and s/he has only 4 or 5 pts there.

might become too focused on the strategy side of gathering the points for their preferred kinks
That's me you're talking about! I remember when I was playing and during one of the longer beach sequence I noticed interesting kink in cunning and I was just choosing cun options for the next few (or more than few) opportunities no matter what was the other option. It's kind of a personal problem for me I guess. Maybe having the general pts pool to use at player's convenience would be a good idea?

The Cunning personality is too much associated with a negative stigma. While it has some traits associated with “assholes”, like being egoist, “mean”, cheater, or just not caring, it wasn’t meant to be just that. It was meant to also include charming, witty, smart, or dark humor answers, and the skills should better reflect that.
Maybe calling it "witty" instead of "cunning" or using some different word?

Blackmail Kink, as in, someone that gets turned on by the risk of being exposed, but all played in a consensual manner
BTW I like that stuff too. And good explanation of the kink (and some others I guess) would make me want to invest pts into cun (if I remember correctly that's where blackmail is?) if I'd knew that that kink would be presented in a femdom context.

We don’t need both “Humiliate me” and “Humiliate her” skills; “Humiliation” is enough to be used in both cases
But again with clear explanation of the skill, that it can be used for MC to humiliate someone or be open to being humiliated. I feel like general names like that will be understood by most of the players as an action performed by MC towards others.

Add a help screen to give a bit more information/tips and context to the players about the whole skill system.
Oh, you're gonna do that. (I'm writing this post while reading yours :p )

So, this is how the skills screen looks like now, after those changes:
Looks good tbh. Though I kinda don't see a way of Asshole leading to (liking) being humiliated :) But that's not a big deal. (No Free use of MC? ;) ) Seems to me like some things like Denied orgasm also could be grouped as a skills with both maledom and femdom use (in a similar way how you've joined humiliation, degradation). Looking at some skills makes me think that more general BDSM skill tree instead of character traits tree would make sense for some skillsets (so more kinks oriented tree and not character-based), but obviously that would run contrary to the personalities' clash in MC idea.

Oh, and personally I didn't mind the original skill tree that much, maybe better explanations and different name for cun would be enough for me.

This doesn’t affect your saves. Except for metagaming reasons, in case you want to go for a different strategy and start anew with more points in some category.
I'll replay the game anyway. It's always a pleasure after all.

Last edited:

sidsan

Jun 17, 2021
currently how many chapters ur game have and if I guess girls kink right in the quiz and I don't have that skill will I be able to play that kink scene or not? for eg, one girl has an exhibitionist kink and I don't have that skill will I be able to play that kink in that scene or not and if I unlock that skill later in-game will I be able to play that kink scene with that character later in-game? MrSilverLust

4.60 star(s) 162 Votes