code991

Aug 21, 2021
Ok i have to say that this is fkn aweosme.

I already posted my review for this game but i have to also post this here. Such a great game. I've had a blast with this. I didnt think i can laugh so much in this sort of games!

Well done devs, you earned a patreon!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Caribdis

Deybu

Nov 23, 2018
I don't know if it's a legit cameo or not but, pretty surprised to see both Darci and the gal from Pine Falls 2.

the Morrigan

Jul 31, 2018
This kid obviously has ADHD and should have been diagnosed long before his senior year rather than being denigrated for being "unable (or unwilling, which seems to be the assumption in the intro, which is an especially egregious failure from the supposedly "sympathetic" stepmother) to concentrate." It isn't exactly a game killer for me, but as someone who was only recently (at age 57) diagnosed with ADHD because so many signs of this disorder were ignored if you weren't actively acting out at all times in the seventies, it *DOES* piss me off that the author and the NPCs would ignore *obvious* signs of a problem this far into the 21st century.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the game, but really ... give the kid some other problem rather than making a brain that works differently than others' look like a moral failure. That's far too common in uneducated modern thought.

Thuryspochen

May 11, 2020
This kid obviously has ADHD and should have been diagnosed long before his senior year rather than being denigrated for being "unable (or unwilling, which seems to be the assumption in the intro, which is an especially egregious failure from the supposedly "sympathetic" stepmother) to concentrate." It isn't exactly a game killer for me, but as someone who was only recently (at age 57) diagnosed with ADHD because so many signs of this disorder were ignored if you weren't actively acting out at all times in the seventies, it *DOES* piss me off that the author and the NPCs would ignore *obvious* signs of a problem this far into the 21st century.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the game, but really ... give the kid some other problem rather than making a brain that works differently than others' look like a moral failure. That's far too common in uneducated modern thought.
He dragged himself through school for reasons that were not his own. When the game begins, he finds a purpose, at which point, focus and drive are no longer an issue.

the Morrigan

Jul 31, 2018
He dragged himself through school for reasons that were not his own. When the game begins, he finds a purpose, at which point, focus and drive are no longer an issue.
... which changes exactly WHAT about the character's obvious ADHD and society's (or at least this game's) nearly complete lack of focus on the problems that the disability can cause? Do please explain how the character's suddenly gaining a new hyperfocus suddenly makes it okay to treat ADHD as if it's some sort of moral failing. I'd fuck!ng LOVE to read your "thoughts," if any, on the subject.

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
... which changes exactly WHAT about the character's obvious ADHD and society's (or at least this game's) nearly complete lack of focus on the problems that the disability can cause? Do please explain how the character's suddenly gaining a new hyperfocus suddenly makes it okay to treat ADHD as if it's some sort of moral failing. I'd fuck!ng LOVE to read your "thoughts," if any, on the subject.
As I am not the author of this game I can only say how I perceived what you are criticizing.
I personally think that the main character possibly having ADHD was the last thought on the authors mind when creating him. It was simply a device to give an introduction of the character and hint at later parts of the plot. I don‘t know how much you have played so I don‘t want to spoil the story for you, but the MCs behavior has a different root than ADHD in this story. I am sure the author didn‘t mean to offend anyone by having the MC exhibit symptoms of it and not having it diagnosed. It‘s simply not the focus of the story, but a means to an end.

MadMac-88

Dec 8, 2017
This kid obviously has ADHD...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
and should have been diagnosed long before his senior year...
rather than being denigrated for being "unable (or unwilling, which seems to be the assumption in the intro, which is an especially egregious failure from the supposedly "sympathetic" stepmother) to concentrate."
It isn't exactly a game killer for me, but as someone who was only recently (at age 57) diagnosed with ADHD because so many signs of this disorder were ignored if you weren't actively acting out at all times in the seventies, it *DOES* piss me off that the author and the NPCs would ignore *obvious* signs of a problem this far into the 21st century.

LeonJKennedy

DSO Operative
Donor
Mar 15, 2021

You have great taste in games, my good Sir!

Reactions: MadMac-88

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017

Does that mean girls can't also play games where goblins try to breed with them because rapes (unfortunely) exist in real life? Does this mean incest in games can't exist because kids can be deformed? Does this mean facials shouldn't appear because a girl had a bruise due the cumshot going straight into the eye?

C'mon mate, I'm sorry you have that issue (and I mean it sincerely), but it's a game, it's a fantasy... The dev just want people to have fun, he doesn't have a degree in psychology to know that stuff. He just wants people to have fun.

If a game was made on purpouse to actually offend someone, then we are talking about a different issue. But that isn't the case at all, otherwise that would be noticeable.

Expect a dev to focus on bringing fun to his fans, not to have a degree in psychology. They are humans as well. Sure you can't please everyone, but that's the norm of life. I understand you may not like the game due that, but saying it piss you off is a bit overboard, no offense.

Just a funny sidenote, I think everyone with good taste, with or without ADHD, would like to have all attention from Carla. At least I would.

Reactions: MadMac-88

riverrungames

Dominus vobiscum
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2021
Can someone please explain the appeal of Once in a Lifetime to me? I feel as if I'm missing something. I bounced off it multiple times and I simply do not understand why this game is as popular and well-received as it is.

Before you ask, no, I have nothing against Caribdis or his fans. His work is clearly resonating with people in a meaningful way, which I consider to be a great thing and I hope he continues to make games. I'm just confused what people are getting out of the game when they say they enjoy it, was it the humor?

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
Can someone please explain the appeal of Once in a Lifetime to me? I feel as if I'm missing something. I bounced off it multiple times and I simply do not understand why this game is as popular and well-received as it is.

Before you ask, no, I have nothing against Caribdis or his fans. His work is clearly resonating with people in a meaningful way, which I consider to be a great thing and I hope he continues to make games. I'm just confused what people are getting out of the game when they say they enjoy it, was it the humor?
The following is an entirely personal opinion, about the game.

First of all, I think the game is well received because it‘s mostly vanilla, which covers a lot of peoples taste already. The next thing is the incest fetish, which seems to be ever so popular.
The story seems to be the right mix of seriousness and humor and of course sex. Is it a literary masterpiece? Not really, but there are a lot of situations in the game that got at least a chuckle out of me. Of course it‘s harder to enjoy the game if you don‘t enjoy the jokes and absurdness of certain situations.
When you start of the renders of the game are… not good. You can see during the intro and maybe the first update how Caribdis found his style of rendering. It started out as mostly first person renders but transitioned into more third person renders.
As I am no expert in story writing I can‘t give you an in depth explanation of why the female characters are good or bad. I can only say, I like all of them. I like their looks and their personalities and how their interactions with the MC evolve. What I was looking forward to the most when I played this game was in between the sex scenes, what kind of meme-worthy situation will happen next? I am maybe a bit too passionate about the game, and I said it before, but the game really resonates with what I am looking for in an AVN when it comes to story and characters. Caribdis hit the nail on the head for me personally.

If you just can‘t get into the game, then no hard feelings. I think the game is easy-going with enough story to push you forward and good side characters. There is the recurring guy who seems to be wherever the Mc is and perfectly fitting into any role he is shoved into. Or the drug lord who has a side business as a tourist guide. Or is it the other way around? I think this is the stuff that keeps people interested. And of course the girls are hot and you get to feel good while turning their situations for the better.

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020

To put it simply, it's a funny over the edge story. It's kinda like those non-sense comedy movie of the 80's and 90's. They where absurd and bizzarre, but if the director could handle commedy well you couldn't stop laughing. Tell one thing about Caribdis, he's not half bad in handling commedy, so even a game that might lack on other aspects entertains you and tend to stick. And by the way it's quite a good game also in a lot of other aspects, so in the end you don't overlook on the general gaming experience for the commedy value. Initially i passed over this topic a few times while looking for new games to play, because of the Honey Select's models. But when i run short of stuff to play i tried it and i most definately don't regret doing so.

riverrungames

Dominus vobiscum
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2021
The following is an entirely personal opinion, about the game.

First of all, I think the game is well received because it‘s mostly vanilla, which covers a lot of peoples taste already. The next thing is the incest fetish, which seems to be ever so popular.
The story seems to be the right mix of seriousness and humor and of course sex. Is it a literary masterpiece? Not really, but there are a lot of situations in the game that got at least a chuckle out of me. Of course it‘s harder to enjoy the game if you don‘t enjoy the jokes and absurdness of certain situations.
When you start of the renders of the game are… not good. You can see during the intro and maybe the first update how Caribdis found his style of rendering. It started out as mostly first person renders but transitioned into more third person renders.
As I am no expert in story writing I can‘t give you an in depth explanation of why the female characters are good or bad. I can only say, I like all of them. I like their looks and their personalities and how their interactions with the MC evolve. What I was looking forward to the most when I played this game was in between the sex scenes, what kind of meme-worthy situation will happen next? I am maybe a bit too passionate about the game, and I said it before, but the game really resonates with what I am looking for in an AVN when it comes to story and characters. Caribdis hit the nail on the head for me personally.

If you just can‘t get into the game, then no hard feelings. I think the game is easy-going with enough story to push you forward and good side characters. There is the recurring guy who seems to be wherever the Mc is and perfectly fitting into any role he is shoved into. Or the drug lord who has a side business as a tourist guide. Or is it the other way around? I think this is the stuff that keeps people interested. And of course the girls are hot and you get to feel good while turning their situations for the better.
Thank you for your well-thought out reply. I don't have a problem with the incest taboo (is this vanilla?), or harem stories, or genre stories insistent on plot. It'd be hard to exclude adult VNs on those premises, because then my playlist would be empty. The use of humor, and the process of joke-making, throwing jokes out to gauge whether they land or not is a risky and commendable affair. I don't have a problem with the engine or the character models used, and I prefer kinetic storytelling over the open-world approach. That's why I'm confused, this is a game that in theory, I should like very much, but in practice, it was a chore to go through, surprising from all the word of mouth this game has surrounding it.

I wish I could say more about the characters (other than I hated the name "Judie", why not just call her Judy?) but I can't trace them in my mind. I think there was a schoolgirl in there, and a teacher you tried to seduce by getting the right answers, and your mother who you only ever met in the kitchen, was that this game? The characters seemed to exist just to keep the plot going, and so they could be cynically employed in sex scenes later on, scenes which weren't very good in the first place. I might come back to it because I do appreciate a good group sex scene, and the ending sounds like it delivers, but if it's the same quality as it is where I stopped, in terms of character, plot, the sex scenes, and so on, then I doubt my thoughts on the game will change very much.

Reactions: Construct

DorcasAurelia

Nov 17, 2018

While I enjoyed the humor, I don't know that I actually laughed very much. For me, I think it was more the appeal of having an actual plot beyond just: meet girls, seduce girls. I didn't mind so much the cartoon logic driving it, and while perhaps the characters might not be the deepest, I did think that the chemistry between them all was natural and pleasant enough. Additionally, I really enjoyed the various horror set pieces, which is odd, because I'm a total scaredy-cat and don't very much like horror movies. Jump-scares seemed to be deliberately avoided (I specifically recall the time in the asylum when the protagonist's flashlight dies and we're shown an alternate angle where he's being observed by an as yet unknown entity, and when he gets the light working again there's nothing), but the threat and atmosphere of the scenes did more than enough to keep the tension. Actually, what I think is probably the games greatest strength is the framing and staging of shots. Most games stick to first person perspective (outside of sex scenes, at least), and as a results, that leads them to be rather plain in scene composition, assuming it's anything beyond a stationary background and maybe a few different character renders to convey broad changes in the emotion of what they're currently saying.

It could just be that you didn't connect with the characters emotionally, which isn't really something you can logically solve for.

Reactions: riverrungames

Corsair500

Nov 16, 2017
Just finished the game, WTF was that ending? That's it?
Seriously look at how Sisterly Lust ended. Nice easy landing giving you time to have a resolution with all the girls. Compare that to what we got here. This just feels lazy.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Xtmr61

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
Just finished the game, WTF was that ending? That's it?
Seriously look at how Sisterly Lust ended. Nice easy landing giving you time to have a resolution with all the girls. Compare that to what we got here. This just feels lazy.
Caribdis promised to finish the story, then push out the first version of his next game and will late return to this game and add in proper ending scenes his patrons would like to see. So the story of this Game is finished, but an epilogue is in sight.

4.80 star(s) 925 Votes