James Do

Aug 28, 2017
These characters feel real to me, and so do their problems. I don't have any experience with drugs, but I don't think I can ever judge people dealing with this sickness the same way again. Still won't truly understand it since I didn't live it. But at least I know more than I did.

Damn.
In my experience the game gives an too glamerous vision of the adicts compered to reality. For example these adicts still have nice furniture and a nice apartment. In reality they would have sold the furniture and sublet the apartment. However I understand the choices Zoey made to make the story more "fun". I like the game most for the other perspective. I know from reality the perspective from a concerned family member and friend of an adict.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
In my experience the game gives an too glamerous vision of the adicts compered to reality. For example these adicts still have nice furniture and a nice apartment. In reality they would have sold the furniture and sublet the apartment. However I understand the choices Zoey made to make the story more "fun". I like the game most for the other perspective. I know from reality the perspective from a concerned family member and friend of an adict.
Every addict's "bottom" is uniquely their own and not all of them end up divorced, homeless, in rags, diseased, and undernourished, picking open their veins in an alley. While that is indeed reality for some, Zoey's characters are perfectly believable. While the characters are attractive (pretty much a requirement in an AVN), I'd hardly call them glamorous.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: MV_1999

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
I've said this probably 30 times in the thread, but the majority of junkies aren't Bubbles from the Wire. There are opiate addicts that survive for years living in the suburbs. The girl I used to live with is still using, she lives with her parents in the most affluent part of town. So I'll agree to disagree with you. Yes, some go full on street, but a lot of the junkies living on the street are mentally ill to some point, or have just burned all bridges and have no family that trust them anymore. But, I never had to do that and it's my experience that a lot of people who got clean didn't have to do that. Hell even the people in Requiem for a Dream still had homes. Don't trust everything Hollywood feeds you.

Nov 19, 2021
I've said this probably 30 times in the thread, but the majority of junkies aren't Bubbles from the Wire. There are opiate addicts that survive for years living in the suburbs. The girl I used to live with is still using, she lives with her parents in the most affluent part of town. So I'll agree to disagree with you. Yes, some go full on street, but a lot of the junkies living on the street are mentally ill to some point, or have just burned all bridges and have no family that trust them anymore. But, I never had to do that and it's my experience that a lot of people who got clean didn't have to do that. Hell even the people in Requiem for a Dream still had homes. Don't trust everything Hollywood feeds you.
The thing that strikes me about this game (and a couple others that focus primarily on the story) is that what a person gets out of the story might truly depend on their background, age, etc. But even if you don't get a lot out of it...that doesn't mean you won't get anything out of it later when experiences change. I doubt someone is going to be sitting around ten years later thinking, "You know what? I wanna play "One Day at a Time" again! But man...I bet they'd look at things with a slightly different perspective. Or maybe not. Iono. But that's kinda awesome for an "adult game" to do that.

Reactions: Zoey Raven

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
The thing that strikes me about this game (and a couple others that focus primarily on the story) is that what a person gets out of the story might truly depend on their background, age, etc. But even if you don't get a lot out of it...that doesn't mean you won't get anything out of it later when experiences change. I doubt someone is going to be sitting around ten years later thinking, "You know what? I wanna play "One Day at a Time" again! But man...I bet they'd look at things with a slightly different perspective. Or maybe not. Iono. But that's kinda awesome for an "adult game" to do that.
I don't think I've ever played an AVN twice. :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
I don't think I have either, well...not like that anyway. There are some games that didn't get an update in a year or longer and suddenly started back strong again and I had to restart from the beginning because I forgot what was going on. I also kind of wonder how long these games will actually be around. When we're all old and retired and hanging out at McDonald's with our senior discount coffees...we'll we be talking about these games?

"Back in my day even thinking about NTR would get you stabbed on the street! We didn't put up with those fucking cucks."

Course by then McDonalds will probably have nothing but robots running the restaurant so nobody will be offended, and if you spill super hot coffee on yourself they'll just blast you with some kind of robot splooge that gives you cancer.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
So there are a handful I've replayed after they were completed. Mostly because I truly loved the story. Of course there are a number of books that I've read more than once for the same reason.

When you finish one day at a time it's virtually certain I'll play it at least once more. Mostly because I absolutely know that there are parts of the story I've missed.

You're creating something that when you've finished it you'll release as a completed work. Everyone will be able to play in a single go. They won't have to wait for update (I'm not complaining about updates) so they'll experience it in a singular flow that you intend.

The time gaps between updates (which are expected) mean that for now none of us can experience the game as we'll be able to once it's completed.

I'm far to invested and impatient to wait until it's complete, but I damn well will play it fresh from start to finish when you're done, because that is your intended experience.

James Do

Aug 28, 2017
The key part sentence was "In my experience" so not a "Hollywood"experience. Never said ended up the street. There is much room in between. In my experience a family member was living in a rented apartment paid by his parents. Few weeks later he subleted the apartment (for an higher amount his parents were paying) and rented a very cheap apartment back.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
The key part sentence was "In my experience" so not a "Hollywood"experience. Never said ended up the street. There is much room in between. In my experience a family member was living in a rented apartment paid by his parents. Few weeks later he subleted the apartment (for an higher amount his parents were paying) and rented a very cheap apartment back.
Your experience is how Hollywood depicts all junkies and that's just not the case. It's a huge reason I made this game, to show it's not like that for everyone and people do recover.

Also I don't think my characters are actually living in luxury. They have an apartment only because Lydia's Dad works for the complex. But, I'd rather not start a back and forth. I've seen a wide range of junkies in the program and the majority were savvy enough to not have to do what your family member did. As I show in the game, there are lots of ways to get money if you are feeding an addiction and don't care how you do it. Which, if someone is in active addiction they don't.

But, I'll leave you with your opinion, which you entitled to, and agree to disagree.

Reactions: hermesh

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
A few words from Patreon:

Just a quick check in.

This isn't really a dev update, I'll do that next week. Other than to let you guys know the ch. 10 will not happen this month. I had hoped it would. But I don't think I can finish and test it within the time remaining.

The scenes in the second day all have to be lit individually and it's a lot more technical to render than, say a scene at Barb's House.

I also didn't get much work done in the few days I was getting the new discord server up and running. But, that wouldn't have mattered.

I do think this is a really fun update, and It's been a joy to work on! So, even if I could rush it (which I can't) I wouldn't.

Should still make the two months mark from public release. It's just probably gonna take the whole time.

Hope you are all doing well! Cheers!

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
There is always this terrible case of reality versus playability.
The trick is always that series and movies have spot lights directly on the action,
because you cannot see a rain damp night scene if you allow the natural lack of sunlight.
The whole body of the characters needs to be bountifully lit, we need to see them to discern anything.
No one shoud make renders just because they know what they made, but anyone else would only see dark.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Can someone reply to this so I know I getting notifications? I haven't got one since this morning, that's very strange for me to go that long. Thanks!

• Red Heart
Reactions: timpo

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
With so many drugs flying around meant to speed up things, a slow day is a god sent.
Slow mans calculated. Slow means meaningful. Slow is the testament ot thoughtout.
Slow life pace is the reason we get to play the games we do - fast would leave us no time.

JustPeekin

Mar 21, 2020
Yesterday's progress report from Patreon:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Progress report

Hi

Don't know what to say. Everything is on time. And it will be released on the 20'th.
One thing, though. On the question of the font. Some people would like me to change it. Let me know what you think about that in the coments. Should I change the font to something less ornate? More legible?

Viit

I think I can be pretty sure what the response to that question will be. I don't know of too many people who actually like the font used.
wrong game haha.

Reactions: Walter Victor

LordofEntropy

Down with Delta-G
Donor
May 8, 2017
Your experience is how Hollywood depicts all junkies and that's just not the case. It's a huge reason I made this game, to show it's not like that for everyone and people do recover.

Also I don't think my characters are actually living in luxury. They have an apartment only because Lydia's Dad works for the complex. But, I'd rather not start a back and forth. I've seen a wide range of junkies in the program and the majority were savvy enough to not have to do what your family member did. As I show in the game, there are lots of ways to get money if you are feeding an addiction and don't care how you do it. Which, if someone is in active addiction they don't.

But, I'll leave you with your opinion, which you entitled to, and agree to disagree.
Indeed, I personally know and have known a number of "functional" addicts. In fact I have far more experience with them than the Requiem for a Dream types. If you look from just the outside at their life, most people would never guess in a million years they were addicts (because addicts don't live like that right?) — nice house, nice cars, good job, lovely spouse, couple of over-achieving kids, the whole shebang.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Latest Patreon report [hopefully, I'm on the right thread this time]:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Dev Update #32 (Progress)

Looks like Audrey is ready for you to make a move...

Quick check in, we are at 5004 lines of code, 1625 Renders, and 5 Animations. But, I still have 2 scenes left to render and 4 scenes left to write! The last half of this update, as I said in the last post is going a lot slower due to it being more technical, and there not being any environments we've previously been to, apart from one.

Still really enjoying it a lot! The image about is from the first day of the update, as I said I'd be doing, as to not spoil the second day. Best window I can give you at this time is Patron release in the first half of March. There are just too many factors at play to pin it down any closer than that. Could be faster, but it's not happening this month as I also said before.

That's about it for now, I'm gonna get back to work, lot's of fun in this one, but we're also going to learn one of our characters is facing a tough situation that will evolve more in Ch. 11 (the update after this).

I'm hoping it's worth the full dev time wait for you guys!

As alway, hope you are all doing well. Cheers!

4.50 star(s) 129 Votes