VN Ren'Py Our Life: Beginnings & Always [v1.7.1 + All DLC's] [GBPatch]

4.80 star(s) 22 Votes

verlyone

Mar 12, 2018
the patreon bonus wasn't always planned. it was a membership tier goal at some point. *after* the game was launched it was much easier for them to gain patreon members. the tier goal of their being an exclusive story of the step 3 version of Cove was a way to drum up membership early on. so I'm pretty sure it was after the kickstarter, but before the full launch of the game.

and that one goal took her forever to finally get done because she had so much other work to do. and as soon as she had it complete some people have been begging her to do another one for step 4 Cove because they can't understand how much work it takes to do this one extra thing that puts all that real work on hold.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, I don't think the adult content was planned "from the beginning", it was clearly an after thought decision, but I also don't believe they were "forced into it" by any fan hounding or marketing pressure. I think they just made a pg13 game, and around the time they started to develop adult Cove, realized that sex could be a possibility in this life cycle, so threw a fishing line out to see if the audience was interested, and if they weren't, they'd scrap the idea, but if they were, then they'd greenlight it.

GB Patch seems pretty open with sexuality, from hints of various other games, so I don't think they ever intended to limit themselves in never doing erotic content, but I also do believe that they never really explored the idea in a professional light, so OL wasn't developed with that in mind, and when they did introduce it, it was more of a test run for their skills and interests, and not so much in favor of audience interest (because from what I heard, the reception was grossly positive); yeah, they weren't going to do anything the fans dislike, but I think this bit of erotica with Cove was more for the developers to gain experience in that genre, than because of any fans begging them to do so.

Vasin

Nov 20, 2018
What about the scope of those side LI DLCs? Do we expect all moments to be rewritten to include them in one way or the other?

I.S.O.

Mar 24, 2019
What about the scope of those side LI DLCs? Do we expect all moments to be rewritten to include them in one way or the other?
No, for the most part, they'll have five separate moments of their own, which will have minimal (if any) impact on the existing moments. There might a couple of exceptions (like the Soiree moment, though I'm still not positive how that works), but overall, most of the current moments won't be affected by the upcoming DLCs.

Reactions: Angelaizawa

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
I doubt this, Derek leaves before high school, but you still get to keep in contact with him through the years, especially if you're not (intending to) pursuing Cove/Baxter, I believe he asks you out in the final of stage 2? I'm pretty sure his moments include that dynamic, so it's probably going to be an entirely seperate DLC, maybe like the 18+ content, and I hear you get to ask him out to the soiree, so they might edit that specific moment just as they did with the MC's hand sprites update; there might be something for the ending of step 3 like Derek giving you a surprise visit at best, but maybe just a call or something, I didn't pursue him, so this didn't really happen for me in step 3.

Baxter comes a little late in the game, so I'm sure most of his (and the rest of Derek's stuff) will be in stand alone DLC, possibly an "end credit" step, like Cove's wedding DLC, because that's when you get to meet these two again, and I'm assuming since you're not marrying Cove, the ending will be drastically different, and heavily Derek or Baxter inspired.

Reactions: OxenKing

Ramen-

Aug 28, 2018
So I've downloaded the Derek DLC but there is nothing with him, Step 2 introduction is the same and the "Soiree" is also still the same as in the base game.

Keldin

Jun 7, 2017
so heeeeeeeey any chance the OP could have literally any instructions or explanations at all for all the various versions and the extra DLC parts under them?

cuz ignoring whoever the hell Derek is, what's the reasoning for having both OurLife-v1.5.1, as well as Our Life: Beta Build 1.0 (Cove Wedding DLC Intro!)?

Like why is there a 1.0 Beta link with it looks like maybe less content, when there's the presumably more recently updated 1.5.1 version.

Or what the hell the "Steps" are

Like seriously it's a mess of links with no context or explanation, why????

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
so heeeeeeeey any chance the OP could have literally any instructions or explanations at all for all the various versions and the extra DLC parts under them?

cuz ignoring whoever the hell Derek is, what's the reasoning for having both OurLife-v1.5.1, as well as Our Life: Beta Build 1.0 (Cove Wedding DLC Intro!)?

Like why is there a 1.0 Beta link with it looks like maybe less content, when there's the presumably more recently updated 1.5.1 version.

Or what the hell the "Steps" are

Like seriously it's a mess of links with no context or explanation, why????
It is a bit of a mess, and I do hope they update the front page with instructions to this, but the problem lies in the "updates", as this hasn't really became a "complete" game until recently. Any further updates will be for DLC towards 2 different male LIs, so there shouldn't be anything too complicated to understand.

Simple Answer: Assuming you are a new player, Download OurLife-v1.5.1 if you want the full, completed game (just Cove content); separately download 18+ Patreon Bonus if you want the bonus, stand alone Cove sex scene; separately download Our Life: Derek if you're interested in the Patreon beta of pursuing Derek as an LI (I'm not interested in this, so I'm not really sure what's included, but I'm assuming it's a stand alone). That's it. Bonus, there's the Voiced Name DLC (I'm not sure if it's already included) if you think they may have a name you'd like to hear Cove call you by (I've found he doesn't do this much, maybe a little more than you can count on one hand, but it's cute, I guessmy full name's not in it so I'm kinda salty).

Complicated Answer: Assuming you are a returning player, depending on when you are updating this game, if you've installed/bought/have a non-pirated OurLife sitting in your PC files, download the Extra: DLC (1, 2, and/or 3) (These are the "steps" you mentioned, they are the DLC extra time/content spent with Cove that is actually what's being pirated, the commercial content)and add them to your designated folders (I believe there are readme files to explain where these go) warning: you don't need to do this if you have the v1.5.1 downloaded here, as they are already included and WILL cause errors. If for some mad reason you want to play the typo/incomplete Wedding DLC beta, download Our Life: Beta Build 1.0 (Cove Wedding DLC Intro!):. Honestly, if I was you, I'd ignore this section and follow the "Simple Answer" instructions, just remember to copy your save folder if you want to continue from where you left off.

Also, no hate, but please do a little searching, you're not the first one to ask this, and it's a bit ironic that you're asking it in the very same way all the others had; if you were confused, you could have easily searched "what do I download" and you'd find all your confused kin asking this same question, which was answered already by me and a few other helpful people (I believe not just 2 pages back). I feel you, though, I think the front page need a bit of cleaning up, and some simple instructions for the incoming DLCs in the future.

Keldin

Jun 7, 2017
and it's a bit ironic that you're asking it in the very same way all the others had;
That's not irony, if it's the same way others had; that is to say being frustrated by the front page just being a homogeneous pile of links, and literally no text no nothing aside from the name of the links in it.

The same replicated response isn't irony, it's a pattern.

In this case the pattern being that people look at the OP, see nothing aside from a pile of links, and get frustrated and don't search.

Or rather, in the case they *do* search wellll....

Search term:
"which files"= 4 results, only your post here was about the set of downloads (2 were about the android version)

"which files do i download" = 2 results, one is, again, your post here, and the other is one of the same posts from the previous search

"what files" = 11 results, once again only your is relevant, though admittedly pretty broad search term, but that goes both ways

"what do I download", by the way, leaves five results. Two of them are one person asking about it, and then the other answering.

One of the five, is again, your post here. The other two are unrelated.

Some ones that do produce multiple results are

"what to download" = 21 results, 4 of which are about this topic. 2 of them are the same 2 from "what do i download", one is the person you were likely comparing me to:
Whoever numbers versions has to be executed. What is the difference between 1.5.1 and 1.0 beta? As I understand beta includes all content that 1.5.1 download has?
sympathies brother..

and the fourth, is again, your very post here.

This also comes bundled alongside 17 other results that don't involve this. tbf, the top 3 results of "what to download" are the two mentioned, and then the guy with the acerbic response which , is certainly a mood.

Yours, in demonstarting an additional issue with the Search on Xenforo boards, is number 9, despite likely sharing more relevant words then the other, and definitely more-so the the five before you.

Actually taking a closer look at everything, I'm feeling more and more in agreement with the "strong distaste of who ever or who evers were responsible for all this".

The truncated sets of links from OP:

* Save files from the end of Step 3 will work with Step 4, but save files from the end of the prior Step 4 beta won't work.

Our Life: Derek
>os
>os
>os
then
OurLife-v1.5.1
>os
>os
>Voice Name DLC & Cove Wedding DLC:
>os
then
Our Life: Beta Build 1.0 (Cove Wedding DLC Intro!):
>os
>os
>os
>Voiced Name DLC (PC/Mac):
then
18+ Patreon Bonus
and finally:
Extras: DLC Step 1/MIRROR - DLC step 2 - DLC step 3/MIRROR - Our Life OST
which wow manages to be even more of a headscratcher then the others.

Now those aside, we also have the listed version number with the other standard info, and the version number is
Version: 1.40 & Stand alone Beta v1.1 - 1.0 - 1.5.1 - 0.1
Topped only by this:
Our Life: Beginnings & Always [v0.1] [GBPatch]
The thread title.

Like this is just a full on parody at this point.

But yeah, anyways appreciate the explanation for the various stuff, it answered all my questions. But fer like real man, this shit is scuffed.

Jiffie

Nov 8, 2017
That's not irony, if it's the same way others had; that is to say being frustrated by the front page just being a homogeneous pile of links, and literally no text no nothing aside from the name of the links in it.

The same replicated response isn't irony, it's a pattern.

In this case the pattern being that people look at the OP, see nothing aside from a pile of links, and get frustrated and don't search.

Or rather, in the case they *do* search wellll....

Search term:
"which files"= 4 results, only your post here was about the set of downloads (2 were about the android version)

"which files do i download" = 2 results, one is, again, your post here, and the other is one of the same posts from the previous search

"what files" = 11 results, once again only your is relevant, though admittedly pretty broad search term, but that goes both ways

"what do I download", by the way, leaves five results. Two of them are one person asking about it, and then the other answering.

One of the five, is again, your post here. The other two are unrelated.

Some ones that do produce multiple results are

"what to download" = 21 results, 4 of which are about this topic. 2 of them are the same 2 from "what do i download", one is the person you were likely comparing me to:

sympathies brother..

and the fourth, is again, your very post here.

This also comes bundled alongside 17 other results that don't involve this. tbf, the top 3 results of "what to download" are the two mentioned, and then the guy with the acerbic response which , is certainly a mood.

Yours, in demonstarting an additional issue with the Search on Xenforo boards, is number 9, despite likely sharing more relevant words then the other, and definitely more-so the the five before you.

Actually taking a closer look at everything, I'm feeling more and more in agreement with the "strong distaste of who ever or who evers were responsible for all this".

The truncated sets of links from OP:

then

then

then

and finally:

which wow manages to be even more of a headscratcher then the others.

Now those aside, we also have the listed version number with the other standard info, and the version number is

Topped only by this:

The thread title.

Like this is just a full on parody at this point.

But yeah, anyways appreciate the explanation for the various stuff, it answered all my questions. But fer like real man, this shit is scuffed.
I mean, yeah, I get you, I completely agree with your complaint, the first page definitely needs fixing, I'm not going to argue that, because it's true; I even got very confused, several updates back, that's why I feel a sense of obligation to help fellow members out; because they had the same problem I had, and I've found the solution.

On to your search result, I dunno if you're getting different results from mine, or if you're not actually reading what's being said: I actually personally searched "What do I download" to make that example, and it shows a user (don't want to tag them), saying to, and I quote, "Download from sir1998's post. It's the most recent version." (the random italics is the key letters my search picked up) This is still correct, the numbers are different, because it was in beta/Patreon, but there's not much different than v5.5.1, in fact, the developers didn't tell us what is, I don't think, so I'm assuming it's just them refining it for the free version. The other posts have another user asking "Sorry, I'm a little bit daft and there's a lot of links and comments on the thread. How do I just play the full game, what do I need to download?", and that's what the first user I quoted is responding to. The funny thing is, if you clicked on either one of those, my post is on the same page, just above, helping someone else who asked this same question when OL was "completed".

My "irony" usage isn't to your (justified) confusion, it's to the fact that I just randomly thought a sentence "what do I download" off the top of my head, and found a few informational links to both highlight another user who asked the same question; a user who answered this question; and this to have my answer right above these very same posts (hopefully people in the future will now search "what do I download" and find my above explanation ;)). I was just suggesting you attempt any(related) question in the search bar, and see if google-fu helps any (it usually helps me out a lot on this site, truly);
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I know you're frustrated, it's warranted, but we all know you didn't bothered to search, because we all have better things to do, and this page should have been set up right the first time (this isn't sarcasm, it's blunt, but I'm very serious), and, if you clicked on any of this, and read what was being said, you would have been lead to a vary valid download (seeing that the download is 0.99, simply searching "1.5.1" shows you several people asking what's the difference between them; the context clue is: "nothing, really"). However, first thing you should learn about this site is that we're sailing the high seas with a bunch of filthy pirates, and most threads created here is put with the amount of effort the pirate desires on that particular day of tagging, imaging, and instructions (emphases on "instructions"); I've got a bucket of complains for those very three things, but the posters here don't often double back to a thread to fix what they've mucked up, because said pirates is just feeding you the content, not making a Power Point of it.

I'm not defending them, because I can't be assed to care about any of you scallywags :ROFLMAO:, but if users can come in the thread, not doing the ancient golden rule of posting questions etiquette (via search), because they're too absentminded, then so can the game posters on this very website be just as inattentive (via arbitrary content dump).

Anyways, glad it helped out, I don't usually put this much effort into helping people, internet strangers (especially filthy pirates) or RL, so I get a bit Mothering with a chiding here or there when I do. Hope your gaming can be a little more merry, you scurvy dogs! :p

Reactions: ThaRealThiccShady

donorys

Mar 26, 2019
I just want derek to come, he was the most adorable person.

Plus his step 4 version is hot-
I concur. His Step 4 design makes me having a dilemma who to choose. I've always been interested in Derek though, since he's the one who proposes to the MC first, while we actually have to be active on Cove or tweak his interests

I mean... if someone cares for me a lot... that's enough for me to fall for them :'3

jazjaz

Jun 8, 2021
I concur. His Step 4 design makes me having a dilemma who to choose. I've always been interested in Derek though, since he's the one who proposes to the MC first, while we actually have to be active on Cove or tweak his interests

I mean... if someone cares for me a lot... that's enough for me to fall for them :'3
You said it yes. I always wonder about dereck too. He was so adorable when a child and then bam bulked up hot and sexy.

donorys

Mar 26, 2019
You said it yes. I always wonder about dereck too. He was so adorable when a child and then bam bulked up hot and sexy.
What if he does that just so that MC accepts him? I mean, by default, MC can only consider him as friend...

Fizel

Feb 10, 2018
What if he does that just so that MC accepts him? I mean, by default, MC can only consider him as friend...
Did you miss where you can accept his deal to get married if you're both still single in 10 years?
Like you can full on say you like him during right before that (also Cliff or Cove, but saying Cove will not have him mention the deal).
It just seems off since until the DLCs are out, it's only Cove's story.

Reactions: jazjaz

donorys

Mar 26, 2019
Did you miss where you can accept his deal to get married if you're both still single in 10 years?
Like you can full on say you like him during right before that (also Cliff or Cove, but saying Cove will not have him mention the deal).
It just seems off since until the DLCs are out, it's only Cove's story.
Oh, I kinda forgot about that since I haven't played it again. I make a point of only playing once after all content is out. But now that you mention it, I guess I vaguely remember that scene...

We all could use a Derek in our lives~

Reactions: jazjaz
4.80 star(s) 22 Votes