Doppelgang

Jul 5, 2022
Nope. Not even close. I don't care about that, you guys will continue to pirate the game anyway. It's the nature of the beast.

What does get to me though is the insane amount of, shall I say complaining instead of "bitching" even tho that's really what it is, that has been going on as of late. Some people want everything yesterday, without any ideas of how creative processes work at all, and no regard to the dev's vision, work, and health (be it mental or physical).

I for one voted for a later update because I knew Eva decided to do that because she felt peer pressured to release something, anything. But I felt it was hardly ideal and not a good precedent to create. I'd rather have updates be out when they're ready.

I'm glad she decided to have a vote. I would have accepted the result, whichever it was. But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one of her patreons, far from it (80% still), thinking it best to be patient. And have it when it's ready.

You always have a choice to stop supporting her if you're not happy with her work, and that's absolutely fair. That is, after all, what Patreon is all about.

What I can't stand is the sheer entitlement of some here who have never nor will ever pay for anything, support any devs, call them "lazy" and insult their work/work ethic. And for that, I'm taking great joy to see tears and read that they feel like they got cockblocked.

I guess if you want to actually weigh on what happens on the development of ORS, you should actually stop being cheap. And support devs.
There’s two things I think are slightly lost among the many (good) arguments for why she shouldn’t release it in two parts. First of all: I’m not so sure releasing Ian’s part now would’ve affected the development that much. It sounds like the plan always was to have just that one POV switch, so it likely wouldn’t involve much more than doing some polishing and testing on Ian’s part now instead of later.

Secondly: Even though the original decision probably was affected by the pressure Eva feels to release something, she’s also mentioned several times how much she loves to finally share the updates with her followers, and how frustrating it is that so much time passes without getting to share anything. Eva said it wasn’t the way she envisioned it, but I didn’t understand it as a solution she was solely considering for the patreons’ sake.

It wouldn’t have been ideal to do it the way she considered now, as something that was announced suddenly and she probably hadn’t planned on herself either until recently. But for future updates I don’t think it would be such a bad idea to consider something similar. Either splitting it up in one update for each protagonist, or finding another way to structure the story that makes it possible to release shorter chapters. I’ve been opposed to that earlier (and I’m still ambivalent to it), but with this update we’re probably ending at a development cycle of six–seven months (something between a rough estimate and just a guess), and that is a pretty long time to wait, even if the reason is that the game is absurdly complex and the chapters are very big.

I voted to release Ian’s part now, and I obviously agree that Eva and/or the majority should get to decide. But there’s a whole bunch of aspects to balance in how to decide the release schedule—making a game that is true to Eva’s vision, and is as good as possible; getting regular releases; finding a way to keep the patreons happy and ideally recruiting new ones; Eva making sure that the job doesn’t get completely overwhelming and she experiences another burnout. That necessarily calls for some pragmatism in one direction or another, and I think it would be wise for Eva to consider before the next chapter if there’s any changes she could make that all in all makes things easier, even if it involves some kind of small compromise to the vision of the game. I can’t speak for Eva, but I imagine the whole development process would feel less overwhelming if each cycle was, let’s say, three months instead of six.

_Zebra_

Jun 24, 2017
But I personally don't understand the flak that Eva is getting.
Well, I think is quite simple. Some new content is released. You start discussing about it. After a while, you talk about what the future might bring based on current events. When you are done with that, for a while, you might speak about "what ifs". By the time you finish this subject, let's say 2-3 months later, you kinda expect the next update. When that doesn't come you start wondering what is happening.

It's summer, people need some time off. OK. It was a bad week. OK. I am struggling a bit with this part of the story, it will take me longer to write it. OK. I want to do an overhaul of the game so I can push things towards a
steam release. Understandable. I am not happy with this part of the story, I want to change it. Okkk....

At a certain point that "ok" becomes frustration. You were invested in the story, you wanted to find out what happened next, but you don't get to see that anymore. You start wondering why and here is where you go on:
- route A: You embrace the word "complex"; there are so many choices, the art looks so good the dev should take as long as it needs (which in my opinion it's an unhealthy way of developing a game, but more on that later)
- route B: You try to find problems that caused the delay and express your option about them, with or without offering possible solutions
- route C: You pay more attention to what the developer says. Does the developer communicates less than before ? (the weekly updates are no longer weekly) Is there a pattern in the messages ? (I am doing my best. Is the best scene to date. Things are going strong. It's not what I wanted. etc.)
- route C.1: The dev is not the same as it used to, I don't like it, but I still trust that there is no ill intent hidden behind it.
- route C.2: The dev is not the same as it used to, I don't like it and I think it's intentional. "Work smarter not harder" "Win more do less"
- route D: something else

So what is important from all this. People think differently and it would be so nice if they would try to understand each others point of views more instead of using 1st grade arguments.

That can't be denied that she has been slower than usual with this one but there are always bad periods for artistic creators.
The problem is that it is not only this one. The releases were not consistent after chapter 6, ~1.7 years ago. Let me go back to the deadline subject. Deadlines are important. If you don't achieved what you wanted, as soon as you do, you need to look into "why?" and into "what can I do to improve this in the future?". Of course, maybe there are situations where nothing could have been done differently. But most of the time you will find something. For example: it took me 2 extra months to develop Chapter 9 compared with Chapter 8. Why?
- It was summer, I needed a break from work. Could this have been avoided? No
- I had 3 extra scenes to develop. Could this have been avoided? Yes. What can I do better in the future? I will keep the number of scenes constant. In order for me to achieve a release window of 2 months, I need to have only 6 scenes per chapter. If the team will get bigger I will try again with 8 and see what happens.

Another important thing is to know when something is good enough. Don't try to draw the perfect art, to write the perfect story or develop the perfect game. You'll never be able to achieve that. A deadline will force you to move on faster, while the "take as long as you need" attitude will not.

Last edited:

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
Well, I think is quite simple. Some new content is released. You start discussing about it. After a while, you talk about what the future might bring based on current events. When you are done with that, for a while, you might speak about "what ifs". By the time you finish this subject, let's say 2-3 months later, you kinda expect the next update. When that doesn't come you start wondering what is happening.

It's summer, people need some time off. OK. It was a bad week. OK. I am struggling a bit with this part of the story, it will take me longer to write it. OK. I want to do an overhaul of the game so I can push things towards a
steam release. Understandable. I am not happy with this part of the story, I want to change it. Okkk....

At a certain point that "ok" becomes frustration. You were invested in the story, you wanted to find out what happened next, but you don't get to see that anymore. You start wondering why and here is where you go on:
- route A: You embrace the word "complex"; there are so many choices, the art looks so good the dev should take as long as it needs (which in my opinion it's an unhealthy way of developing a game, but more on that later)
- route B: You try to find problems that caused the delay and express your option about them, with or without offering possible solutions
- route C: You pay more attention to what the developer says. Does the developer communicates less than before ? (the weekly updates are no longer weekly) Is there a pattern in the messages ? (I am doing my best. Is the best scene to date. Things are going strong. It's not what I wanted. etc.)
- route C.1: The dev is not the same as it used to, I don't like it, but I still trust that there is no ill intent hidden behind it.
- route C.2: The dev is not the same as it used to, I don't like it and I think it's intentional. "Work smarter not harder" "Win more do less"
- route D: something else

So what is important from all this. People think differently and it would be so nice if they would try to understand each others point of views more instead of using 1st grade arguments.

The problem is that it is not only this one. The releases were not consistent after chapter 6, ~1.7 years ago. Let me go back to the deadline subject. Deadlines are important. If you don't achieved what you wanted, as soon as you do, you need to look into "why?" and into "what can I do to improve this in the future?". Of course, maybe there are situations where nothing could have been done differently. But most of the time you will find something. For example: it took me 2 extra months to develop Chapter 9 compared with Chapter 8. Why?
- It was summer, I needed a break from work. Could this have been avoided? No
- I had 3 extra scenes to develop. Could this have been avoided? Yes. What can I do better in the future? I will keep the number of scenes constant. In order for me to achieve a release window of 2 months, I need to have only 6 scenes per chapter. If the team will get bigger I will try again with 8 and see what happens.

Another important thing is to know when something is good enough. Don't try to draw the perfect art, to write the perfect story or develop the perfect game. You'll never be able to achieve that. A deadline will force you to move on faster, while the "take as long as you need" attitude will not.
As I said, you make good points.

You may have a slight aspect wrong which is that Indie developpment may be a professionnal activity but it's not often handled with the corporate attitude you know ?
I feel like it depends. Some do, some don't.
I get the need for reporting especially with montly subscriptions but you'd have to change a lot of how indie devs work for this to be implemented. But I do get it.

You described one of the most recurrent problems of game devs without realizing it I think, they always got to one up themselves.
For every successful update they release for their game, every time the expectations of their supporters increase. More expectations -> more and better content to do.
Just look at BADIK, the updates became so colossal that we're nearing a year without an episode I think.
Over time, I bet this builds up pressure and stress too.
I wouldn't be surprised if she at one point thought "What if they don't like what I worked on for months and stop supporting me overnight because I didn't take enough time to write/animate/draw..." or something like that.

Though I don't agree, you are making sense and it's understandable that some believe results over anything else.

RedGlow

Aug 5, 2016
can I be honest with you I dont understand this logic so cuck stuff lena good?kinky slutty stuff lena good? and cuck or kinky stuff ian bad? unless its a chad ian?I really dont understand this logic
I'm not into ntr stuff if i am male mc (chad or not). However, i am into almost anything including cheating stuff with a female mc.

_Zebra_

Jun 24, 2017
As I said, you make good points.

You may have a slight aspect wrong which is that Indie developpment may be a professionnal activity but it's not often handled with the corporate attitude you know ?
I feel like it depends. Some do, some don't.
I get the need for reporting especially with montly subscriptions but you'd have to change a lot of how indie devs work for this to be implemented. But I do get it.

You described one of the most recurrent problems of game devs without realizing it I think, they always got to one up themselves.
For every successful update they release for their game, every time the expectations of their supporters increase. More expectations -> more and better content to do.
Just look at BADIK, the updates became so colossal that we're nearing a year without an episode I think.
Over time, I bet this builds up pressure and stress too.
I wouldn't be surprised if she at one point thought "What if they don't like what I worked on for months and stop supporting me overnight because I didn't take enough time to write/animate/draw..." or something like that.

Though I don't agree, you are making sense and it's understandable that some believe results over anything else.
You also have some good points and I totally agree that this ("they always got to one up themselves.") is a problem, especially when you already deliver quality content with mostly positive reviews.

About BADIK, the funny thing is that I stopped following the thread around the middle point of season 2. Way too many comments. Now I don't even remember the sub plots. I know just that I liked Sage, Bella and Quinn (somehow I am always interested in the bad girls that are not that bad in the end). Now, when can my boy Ian take Ivy on a date ? :D

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
You also have some good points and I totally agree that this ("they always got to one up themselves.") is a problem, especially when you already deliver quality content with mostly positive reviews.

About BADIK, the funny thing is that I stopped following the thread around the middle point of season 2. Way too many comments. Now I don't even remember the sub plots. I know just that I liked Sage, Bella and Quinn (somehow I am always interested in the bad girls that are not that bad in the end). Now, when can my boy Ian take Ivy on a date ? :D
Yeah totally get what you mean man !

Well we'll see, season 3 episode 1 is probably coming late october or early november as it is halloween themed.

As for Ivy, I doubt it's ever going to happen and that saddens me... :cry:

lockerxx

Conversation Conqueror
May 10, 2017

After my announcing I was planning on releasing Chapter 10 in two parts, separating Ian and Lena's POV, most of you voiced your concern and disagreement with that choice, and I can see why. So, obviously, a poll is in order to decide what should be done.

I tried to explain my reasoning a bit, but in the end I also share your opinion and I'd prefer to release both POV together. But at the same time I want to give you content, as much as possible and as fast as possible, both to keep you happy and engaged and for my own sake too. I want to share the fruits of my work, and it gets pretty stressful when too much time goes by and I'm not advancing at the pace I'd like. I try to convince myself quality takes time, but Patreon's subscription model almost demands for monthly rewards, and I just enjoy releasing content, but I want it to be content I can feel proud about. Anyway, there's plenty of reasons for and against this proposed release schedule, but in the end it's you patrons who get the final say on things like this.

I understand both options are problematic and will probably result in some people removing their pledges, but that's just the way it is and I'm fine with that. My goal has always been to create the best possible VN I can and hopefully you can enjoy that, so it's up to you if you want to experience Ian's part of the chapter first (it has about as much content as the entire chapter 5) or you prefer to wait until everything's completed, which I can't give an estimate time-frame yet (at least quite a few drawings from Lena's part are already completed, so it's not like starting a new development cycle from scratch).

So let me know your opinion down below and meanwhile I'll try to keep advancing the work as much as I can! There's already so much I wish I could show you...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Poll:
Release Chapter 10 as a whole - 80%
Release Ian and Lena's POVs separately - 20%
october for chapter 10? ok i can wait.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

After my announcing I was planning on releasing Chapter 10 in two parts, separating Ian and Lena's POV, most of you voiced your concern and disagreement with that choice, and I can see why. So, obviously, a poll is in order to decide what should be done.

I tried to explain my reasoning a bit, but in the end I also share your opinion and I'd prefer to release both POV together. But at the same time I want to give you content, as much as possible and as fast as possible, both to keep you happy and engaged and for my own sake too. I want to share the fruits of my work, and it gets pretty stressful when too much time goes by and I'm not advancing at the pace I'd like. I try to convince myself quality takes time, but Patreon's subscription model almost demands for monthly rewards, and I just enjoy releasing content, but I want it to be content I can feel proud about. Anyway, there's plenty of reasons for and against this proposed release schedule, but in the end it's you patrons who get the final say on things like this.

I understand both options are problematic and will probably result in some people removing their pledges, but that's just the way it is and I'm fine with that. My goal has always been to create the best possible VN I can and hopefully you can enjoy that, so it's up to you if you want to experience Ian's part of the chapter first (it has about as much content as the entire chapter 5) or you prefer to wait until everything's completed, which I can't give an estimate time-frame yet (at least quite a few drawings from Lena's part are already completed, so it's not like starting a new development cycle from scratch).

So let me know your opinion down below and meanwhile I'll try to keep advancing the work as much as I can! There's already so much I wish I could show you...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Poll:
Release Chapter 10 as a whole - 80%
Release Ian and Lena's POVs separately - 20%
Whatever choice Eva Kiss believes is better i am okay with it. :p

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
october for chapter 10? ok i can wait.
I'd say a November/December release is more likely.

Here's what concerns me:

"Lena's part should be coming shortly after." - This is a statement from the previous devblog.

"I can't give an estimate time-frame yet (at least quite a few drawings from Lena's part are already completed, so it's not like starting a new development cycle from scratch)." - This is what Eva said in her latest post.

Maybe it's just me, but the second statement really doesn't sound like it's gonna be finished anytime soon. "Shortly after", atleast in my book, means a couple weeks at most, but the second statement reads more like it's going to take several months, which is why I don't see a release happening before November/December. Well, fingers crossed.

Tallyhoe

Feb 21, 2019
The truth is that the decision does not surprise me, in the end these subscription models have always worked thanks to people with a Simp mentality, (I give you everything, but you do not have to worry, I wait for you) in short, people who are not able to see the value of himself, and less of his money, otherwise they would not live throwing money at a coin-op without receiving anything in return, I have supported several on patreon, but I only pay for the product, comic release or game updates, I pay the membership and I'm leaving, until they show the results of the work again, but I'm not going to let them take me out of "The idiot who gives me money", they want money, so let them earn it. But pay month by month, to see 3 posts per month where they tell you, look at an image and shut up.

PS: I'm not a hate of Eva, on the contrary I like her games, I'm a hate of the patreons that created that system where you pay but you don't get anything, a system that has ruined a lot of good games.
Not demanding anything from developers is what creates developers like ICSTOR.
I really like this developer, so I don't want to see it being an ICSTOR 30.0.
Do you even know what the word 'Patron' in Patreon means?

Ceesko

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2017
According to the charts, Eva is losing patrons each month and since a few months ago she lost over 300 patrons. I just cancelled my own subscription yesterday due to the mental attitude of other obsessive fans who want everyone to wait with them instead of releasing part of the chapter now (they will have to wait the same time anyway). Really crazy attitude if you ask me.

The_Searcher

Dec 30, 2019
According to the charts, Eva is losing patrons each month and since a few months ago she lost over 300 patrons. I just cancelled my own subscription yesterday due to the mental attitude of other obsessive fans who want everyone to wait with them instead of releasing part of the chapter now (they will have to wait the same time anyway). Really crazy attitude if you ask me.

Looking at the graph, at the start of each month, she loses patreons but during all the month recovers patreons and then she loses again patreons at the start of the next month.

Is this the normal flux in patreon?

Ceesko

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2017
Looking at the graph, at the start of each month, she loses patreons but during all the month recovers patreons and then she loses again patreons at the start of the next month.

Is this the normal flux in patreon?
It is normal flux. But if you look at start of the year, from April she had around 2800 patrons, now last month capped at around 2400 give or take. She lost hundreds of patrons in the months between. That is a big number, and she does not have that many patrons to begin with.

dundun

Jul 6, 2017
It is normal flux. But if you look at start of the year, from April she had around 2800 patrons, now last month capped at around 2400 give or take. She lost hundreds of patrons in the months between. That is a big number, and she does not have that many patrons to begin with.
Maybe because in April she released the last update, driving up her subscriptions? Why not, if you are really interested in comparable data, compare Aug 11, 2021 with Aug 11, 2022? That is 2223 to 2198. So she lost 25 patreons in one year, or a whooping 1.12 percent. Her downfall clearly is imminent!

4.60 star(s) 316 Votes