Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
What distinct personalities do Lena and Ian have?
OK. It's easy.
Base Ian at the start is an ordinary guy, he is rather modest and a little shy. He lacks self-confidence and has severe PTSD after breaking up with Gillian. Which, quite likely, was his only partner. He is not as shy as Holly (there is a disaster in general), but there are problems with self-esteem.
Basic Lena. She is an open, moderately relaxed and confident girl in her sexuality. It is not a problem for her to pose naked for a photo shoot and she does not feel problems when she goes on a date with, for example, Robert or Ian. She had already done sexually depraved things with Axel and he was most likely not her only one. She does not suffer like Ian from a breakup, on the contrary, she wants to get away from this relationship and turn the page. But has problems with stalking from the ex.
The contrast between them is very strong. We can conclude that at the start, Ian is not from Lena's league.

JohnnyKiss

Oct 1, 2017
OK. It's easy.
Base Ian at the start is an ordinary guy, he is rather modest and a little shy. He lacks self-confidence and has severe PTSD after breaking up with Gillian. Which, quite likely, was his only partner. He is not as shy as Holly (there is a disaster in general), but there are problems with self-esteem.
Basic Lena. She is an open, moderately relaxed and confident girl in her sexuality. It is not a problem for her to pose naked for a photo shoot and she does not feel problems when she goes on a date with, for example, Robert or Ian. She had already done sexually depraved things with Axel and he was most likely not her only one. She does not suffer like Ian from a breakup, on the contrary, she wants to get away from this relationship and turn the page. But has problems with stalking from the ex.
The contrast between them is very strong. We can conclude that at the start, Ian is not from Lena's league.
These are not "distinc personalities", these are, like you said "Base stats". A starting point for the characters.

Ian starts off insecure after his break-up but that insecurity can literally vanish over 2 in-game choices.

Same can be said for Lena. She starts of as someone under Axel's influence but over 2 in-game choices you can make her grow out of it.

You are mistaking the challenges the game presents for the players to overcome as personalities of the playable characters.

Lena and Ian already being in relationships and breaking them up even before the game starts is no different than Ashley already being in a relationship with her boyfriend at the start of GGGB.

Both games give you a starting point which then you can mold into whatever you want.

Both games put you into interesting situations and let you navigate the way you see fit.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
These are not "distinc personalities", these are, like you said "Base stats". A starting point for the characters.

Ian starts off insecure after his break-up but that insecurity can literally vanish over 2 in-game choices.

Same can be said for Lena. She starts of as someone under Axel's influence but over 2 in-game choices you can make her grow out of it.

You are mistaking the challenges the game presents for the players to overcome as personalities of the playable characters.

Lena and Ian already being in relationships and breaking them up even before the game starts is no different than Ashley already being in a relationship with her boyfriend at the start of GGGB.

Both games give you a starting point which then you can mold into whatever you want.

Both games put you into interesting situations and let you navigate the way you see fit.
What is not a blank slate for you? The characters in stories which have no choices at all?

JohnnyKiss

Oct 1, 2017
What is not a blank slate for you? The characters in stories which have no choices at all?
All of the Non-Player Characters in this games are "not a blank slate". They are characters with set characteristics and personalities from which you bounce of your player character.

Wade is a Gamer who stopped taking care of himself.

Perry is a stuttering and insecure stoner-nerd.

Stan is your "tip my fedora to you, lady" shut-in pervert.

Holly is the shy nerd girl who is insecure about her appearance but is also easily influenced by others.

You get the idea.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022

I described exactly what I meant. "Basic states" is the state of personalities and temperament of our main characters, in which they are at the start of the game. And the fact that they are very different from each other is obvious from the point of view of human psychology.

It's strange that you said that there is no difference between Ian/Lena and Ashley. But at the same time, you pointed out the differences that Ian / Lena are free, and Ashley is in a relationship. :WaitWhat:I'm not even talking about the difference in personalities.
david-tennant-tv-shows.gif

JohnnyKiss

Oct 1, 2017
I described exactly what I meant. "Basic states" is the state of personalities and temperament of our main characters, in which they are at the start of the game. And the fact that they are very different from each other is obvious from the point of view of human psychology.

It's strange that you said that there is no difference between Ian/Lena and Ashley. But at the same time, you pointed out the differences that Ian / Lena are free, and Ashley is in a relationship. :WaitWhat:I'm not even talking about the difference in personalities.
View attachment 2139402
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? This whole conversation is about their personalities...

Lena and Ian aren't in a relationship but can be in one as the game progress which is no different than Ashley who was in a relationship but you can guide her into not being in one.

This is a rather simple concept to grasp. You are given a freedom of choice to mold these blank slates into characters

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? This whole conversation is about their personalities...

Lena and Ian aren't in a relationship but can be in one as the game progress which is no different than Ashley who was in a relationship but you can guide her into not being in one.

This is a rather simple concept to grasp. You are given a freedom of choice to mold these blank slates into characters
Okay man. It seems that you and I were talking about slightly different concepts and ideas.

JohnnyKiss

Oct 1, 2017
Okay man. It seems that you and I were talking about slightly different concepts and ideas.
I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, you were talking about character being "blank slates" as in they didn't have any previous experiences from their previous relationships or whatnot, while I'm talking about them being "blank slates" as in their personalities.

To me it seems you think Ian and Lena's histories of previous relationship is what bars them from being "blank slates" while the same not being the case for Ashley because she didn't have any previous relationships, correct?

popple

Jul 18, 2018
i'm surprised to read some debate about the story in this game : as an adult game, it's turning into something too serious... GGGB was not a serious game : it was about sex only, and that was great, because you can let your own fantasies interact... with this "serious" game, the player is less concerned. i check this topic only to see if a new upgrade is published, but i've stopped playing a long time ago. i think EK has lost the goal of this kind of entertainment for the majority of its players.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: kontora11

dobzzz

Feb 7, 2018
OK. It's easy.
Actually you are wrong Alex was Lena first and only before the game they started dating when she was 8teen

applepie68

Feb 5, 2018
Does anyone know if the title is a reference to the myth of red strings or is it referring to something else. Really curious as to the name as the myth is about how red string tie together two people destined to be together and we kind of have that going on with our two MCs here. I know its not exact as we could avoid a relationship but it is really pushed.

Mark17

May 15, 2017
Does anyone know if the title is a reference to the myth of red strings or is it referring to something else. Really curious as to the name as the myth is about how red string tie together two people destined to be together and we kind of have that going on with our two MCs here. I know its not exact as we could avoid a relationship but it is really pushed.
The red string is a reference of Japanese folklore/mythology. Meaning that two people love each other are destined to meet each other don't matter what the situation and the consequences. It's the destiny.
You see this in many animes

images (33) (22).jpeg images (33) (24).jpeg

dundun

Jul 6, 2017
According to EvaKiss:
ORS is about how people relate to one another and how they build, navigate and mess up those relationships. It's not so much about fate or destiny, but about what those relationships mean to us, or something like that. To be honest I didn't think too thoroughly about the themes, and I'm discovering new meaning in my own work as I keep progressing the story. I think having both male and female MCs has turned out to be more than a simple gimmick, but everyone is free to find their own meaning, that's the cool thing about art.

So, no, I guess. Sometimes Google is not your friend :sneaky: In my understanding the red string of a story is something that connects its parts.
Edit: although that should be called a red tread.

Last edited:

Lord Bradley

May 28, 2019
From a recent update post on Patreon, Oct 11:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks for info, this is exactly what sepperates Eva Kiss from so many other developers, route branching and scene variations. Which, when you think about it, is a lot more work than to copy/paste lines and alter some text flavor or change a character in a scene. At the end of the day it all has to make sense and weave into the game seemlessly no matter what previous choices you made and what choices you plan to make in the future. I still remember being mind blown how in GGGB it seemed like you can discover a new scene/outcome many months past final release. I rarely play a game multiple times, but Eva Kiss games definitely feel fresh every playthrough and that is incredible talent to make such a game without a large studio behind you.

One thing is certain, I will make it my mission to play all Eva Kiss games to their full potential years down the line.

applepie68

Feb 5, 2018
The red string is a reference of Japanese folklore/mythology. Meaning that two people love each other are destined to meet each other don't matter what the situation and the consequences. It's the destiny.
You see this in many animes

View attachment 2140616 View attachment 2140617
I heard it as a Chinese concept all the way back in elementary school. It could have perhaps found its way into Japanese culture as Japan has a habit of borrowing from China culturally as its sort of the little brother in that sense. For example a kitsune is very similar to a hulijing.

According to EvaKiss:
ORS is about how people relate to one another and how they build, navigate and mess up those relationships. It's not so much about fate or destiny, but about what those relationships mean to us, or something like that. To be honest I didn't think too thoroughly about the themes, and I'm discovering new meaning in my own work as I keep progressing the story. I think having both male and female MCs has turned out to be more than a simple gimmick, but everyone is free to find their own meaning, that's the cool thing about art.

So, no, I guess. Sometimes Google is not your friend :sneaky: In my understanding the red string of a story is something that connects its parts.
oh that's cool was that from her patreon page or something? I'm subscribed and I don't think she allows PMs. I'm really curious about this whole name thing especially since I started digging into Chinese myths.

4.60 star(s) 312 Votes