Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Struggling to get videos working with MAC M1. Downloaded liberica-jdk-17.jdk (and deleted other jdks to double check). I am not sure what you mean about the "Custom Setup screen" because I cannot find such a screen. I then tried to see how to install javafx into java 17 or 11 but I could not find a good way to do so. Help would be appreciated, I really would like to be able to play this great game on my new macbook.
The custum setup screen was how it looked in liberica 13 which was the latest version at the time. Checking out , you should select the full JDK (Scroll down to macOS where you can select from the Package dropdown menu) as it includes javafx.

jaboney

Jun 9, 2019
The custum setup screen was how it looked in liberica 13 which was the latest version at the time. Checking out , you should select the full JDK (Scroll down to macOS where you can select from the Package dropdown menu) as it includes javafx.
HAHA I just finally stumbled by this right before I saw this. THANK YOU ANYWAYS!

Reactions: Alcahest

MrHatIsHere

Jan 18, 2022
I'm having trouble with the UI and the vagueness of the messages. The UI seems to be inaccurate, indicating repeat events as new, saying the event has benefits it doesn't have (and can actually have negative effects instead), etc. There doesn't seem to be a quest system indicating what to do next, and the messages I get are something like "This didn't change your relationship with so-and-so. Something new needs to happen first.", which doesn't help, and a lot of times I am not given any indication at all, just failure.

This game seems more frustrating than rewarding, and based on what I've read, seems to be designed that way on purpose. For example, is it true that making the wrong choice or making a choice at the wrong time can delay progress for weeks? I don't get this game, either its appeal or how to actually make progress.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I'm having trouble with the UI and the vagueness of the messages. The UI seems to be inaccurate, indicating repeat events as new, saying the event has benefits it doesn't have (and can actually have negative effects instead), etc.
Unless you have discovered a bug, there is no inaccuracy in the UI (that I'm aware of). If there were, I think I would have heard of it by now. Did you check the info about the color-coded character names to understand how it works (Help->Info)?

Repeating events can be similar, like if you talk to a character it often starts the same way even when something new is added.

If you replay an event marked for instance (20), it means you got +20 memory health the last time you played it. If you repeat it and make another choice, you can get something else. Just skip the event if you want the number shown.

If you have something inaccurate or broken, show it to me, or I can't fix it (or explain why it isn't inaccurate).

There doesn't seem to be a quest system indicating what to do next, and the messages I get are something like "This didn't change your relationship with so-and-so. Something new needs to happen first.", which doesn't help, and a lot of times I am not given any indication at all, just failure.
This game seems more frustrating than rewarding, and based on what I've read, seems to be designed that way on purpose.
It is intended to have some grind, making the reward sweeter (but compared to the QSP games that inspired me to make this game, the grind is substantially reduced). One of the most common positive comments I get in the reviews is that the grind is the right amount. So if you hate any grind, maybe this game isn't for you.

For example, is it true that making the wrong choice or making a choice at the wrong time can delay progress for weeks?
If you make the wrong choice, try again the next time you play the event. If the event is only once a week, then it will take a week.
I don't get this game, either its appeal or how to actually make progress.
Seems a bit unfair to give a 1 star review complaining about a broken UI when the UI is not broken -- it is you who don't understand it for some reason. I don't know why because I can't recall people complaining about it being hard to understand. It is meant to be easy to understand and follow, hence there didn't seem to be much need for a quest system.

Reactions: worldknower

worldknower

Jun 11, 2018
I'm having trouble with the UI and the vagueness of the messages. The UI seems to be inaccurate, indicating repeat events as new, saying the event has benefits it doesn't have (and can actually have negative effects instead), etc. There doesn't seem to be a quest system indicating what to do next, and the messages I get are something like "This didn't change your relationship with so-and-so. Something new needs to happen first.", which doesn't help, and a lot of times I am not given any indication at all, just failure.

This game seems more frustrating than rewarding, and based on what I've read, seems to be designed that way on purpose. For example, is it true that making the wrong choice or making a choice at the wrong time can delay progress for weeks? I don't get this game, either its appeal or how to actually make progress.
I can say i've played this game to 100% completion, and none of the issues you describe happened to me.
The game clearly defines what the colors on events mean.

If you "fail" an event (one of the choice events), you might have to wait 1 week to try again. But unless thats the only green event currently available to you, its not like there is nothing to do for that week, and even if it was, there is a button to skip time forward, so its not really a big issue either (or just save before the event and reload if you wanna avoid skipping time).
As far as i know, there are NO events that cannot be retried atleast once every week.
So the " is it true that making the wrong choice or making a choice at the wrong time can delay progress for weeks?" is just false.

Tromilka

Sep 11, 2020
I think there are a few things about the event categories that can be confusing or give the impression that they are wrong. This list isn't meant as criticism, necessarily, but just to give some understanding of why some players may be confused:
  • Not all starred green events lead to a sex scene, or any meaningful interaction with the LI. Sometimes it'll just tell you that the LI is busy right now, for example. Having played to the end, I think these are scripted (non-)events that you need to go through to unlock more meaningful events later on, but at the time they can feel like a bait-and-switch.
  • The color codes don't distinguish between green events that need to be repeated to progress and ones that cannot be progressed/completed at the moment because your stats are not sufficiently high. (And, IIRC, they don't give any indication once your stats have increased enough to complete them, either.) So until you understand this distinction, and memorize what each event is and whether you should be able to progress it now, you often find yourself repeating events that get you nowhere.
  • As already mentioned, the point values shown on the event is not necessarily the one you will get if you play it, depending on your choices. This also applies to events that cannot be skipped because they have not been fully completed, and where you must therefore remember which choices lead to which outcomes.
  • Storylines can be blocked by seemingly unrelated events, and the triggers that unlock progress are often hidden even after the fact. This can make players misinterpret what was keeping them from progressing, and make it seem like there's a longer delay than it actually is for key events to come around.
  • Some storylines/LIs can be "on hold" for extremely long stretches of the game, giving players the impression that they are stuck. (I'm not sure how much of this is inevitable because of the progress triggers and how much depends on how you focus your efforts, but in my playthrough it applied particularly to Avery/Krissy, Jolee and Antonella.)
  • I suppose there is some meaningful distinction between the red and the yellow events, but I certainly never grasped what it was. There never seemed any rhyme or reason why certain events (repeatable and with memory effects) were red.
  • Finally, the in-game instructions around the "threshold" events are rather misleading. They tell you to focus on the activity "below" the stage you're trying to reach the threshold for (so, to reach the threshold for oral, focus on masturbation), but in fact it doesn't make any difference how many times you jerk off: the only thing that matters is to continue with the starred green events, no matter the sexual activity they involve, and then the threshold will happen at some scripted time. I took the game at its word and repeated a bunch of masturbation events with Avery and Jolee, thinking there was some internal counter that would eventually unlock the threshold. When that got me nowhere, I ultimately examined a save file to confirm that the game doesn't keep track of how many times you've masturbated.
If I were to suggest any changes in how events are indicated, it would be to:
  1. Distinguish events that just need to be repeated, or that will raise stats (other than memory) from repetition, and events that are blocked from progress for some other reason
  2. Scrap the current yellow/red distinction. Instead, distinguish events that will replay some meaningful scene, and repeat "events" that are merely "the door is locked" or similar.
  3. Rewrite the discussion about the threshold events to make it clearer that any progress is linked to new events, and repetition of the established routine will get you nowhere.
But of course the game is done and over with, and I don't expect any changes at this point.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
But of course the game is done and over with, and I don't expect any changes at this point.
Yeah, the game is done. I might have considered a few of your points while developing, but I'm not gonna change anything now. But as a general answer, I don't see a problem with everything not being 100% obvious/clear to everyone, if that is even possible or something you would want. It would have to be extremely simple and easy to understand.

One thing though, the distinction between yellow and red is pretty big. As explained in the help info about color codes,
red means "you cannot progress any further here in this version of the game. The last event will be replayed."
Which is completely different from yellow which means "you have completed the event but cannot progress further right now. The last event will be replayed."

Meaning, you will see yellow a lot of times, temporarily stopping you from continuing, then turning to green when you can continue with that character in that particular time and location, but you will only see red once there is nothing more left to do. No more continuing there. If you play the completed game, that means nothing new will ever come after a red event.

I think the disctinction between yellow and red is clear enough. You don't, and I can accept that, going back to my point in the beginning. However, I still disagree with the previous poster who said the UI is inaccurate, or even broken (in his review).

Tromilka

Sep 11, 2020
Meaning, you will see yellow a lot of times, temporarily stopping you from continuing, then turning to green when you can continue with that character in that particular time and location, but you will only see red once there is nothing more left to do. No more continuing there. If you play the completed game, that means nothing new will ever come after a red event.

But this isn't really something that matters from a player point of view, at least not now that the game is complete. (Perhaps it made more sense during development, to help flag storylines that were unfinished?)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But as a general answer, I don't see a problem with everything not being 100% obvious/clear to everyone, if that is even possible or something you would want. It would have to be extremely simple and easy to understand.

Well, I think UIs should be extremely simple and easy to understand, unless there is a good reason otherwise. (And I don't believe this game is inherently so complicated that it couldn't be done, or that the awkwardness adds anything to the gameplay.)

I like the game a lot, and the engine and game framework are in many ways well done (the intuitive way saves work is a lot better than what you get in e.g. SugarCube/Twine, for one important thing, and the map navigation helps create a good sense of place, even if moving between the neighborhood and city maps is a bit too fiddly), but there are also some weak points in the interaction design, and of course drawbacks from using Java. The Monastery, in my estimation, has fewer barriers to players, all in all.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
But this isn't really something that matters from a player point of view, at least not now that the game is complete. (Perhaps it made more sense during development, to help flag storylines that were unfinished?)
It matters in the way that you can visually see where you have reached the end. I don't really understand the criticism here, why you find that something negative. I think it's helpful. I like it. Start->Green, yellow, orange, red->End. Feels natural to me.

Well, I think UIs should be extremely simple and easy to understand, unless there is a good reason otherwise. (And I don't believe this game is inherently so complicated that it couldn't be done, or that the awkwardness adds anything to the gameplay.)
I wasn't just talking about the UI, but everything. You didn't just bring up points about the UI. But to take the UI as an example: The point about the memory gain, where an event can say "Kylie (20)". I do that to make it easy for players to see where they can get 20 mem. That's meant to be helpful. I could just not have added that info, and a few people wouldn't criticize that the (20) could be something else if you played the event differently than last time. Instead, they would have to remember where to get memory, which would be very hard since that can change a lot between events (compared to The Monastery that usually have a few locations always giving +10 or +20 so it's easy to remember them). How is that better? This was the best way I could think of doing it (I haven't seen any suggestions how to do it better), and I think it is easy enough to understand. I'm happy with it, but you can't make everyone happy.

Zjoee

Nov 21, 2021
I've installed Liberica 17 Full JPK as suggested, but I'm still getting a black screen for half of the video scenes. It's fairly inconsistent, sometimes I'll go through an event and I'll see all the videos, then I'll go through the scene again later and half of them will be blacked out. This is the error I get, found through the batch file run:

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I've installed Liberica 17 Full JPK as suggested, but I'm still getting a black screen for half of the video scenes. It's fairly inconsistent, sometimes I'll go through an event and I'll see all the videos, then I'll go through the scene again later and half of them will be blacked out. This is the error I get, found through the batch file run:

You are playing on mac or linux then I assume, or else you don't need to install java.

That error sometimes appears in the log, usually without the player noticing anything wrong. Advancing/clicking fast in the game seems to sometimes trigger this errror. It may be related to your issue, maybe not. I don't have any solution for your problem other than maybe trying an older version of Liberica (I used v12), in case that newer versions are less compatible with the video files (not likely, but that's all I have).

Zjoee

Nov 21, 2021
You are playing on mac or linux then I assume, or else you don't need to install java.

That error sometimes appears in the log, usually without the player noticing anything wrong. Advancing/clicking fast in the game seems to sometimes trigger this errror. It may be related to your issue, maybe not. I don't have any solution for your problem other than maybe trying an older version of Liberica (I used v12), in case that newer versions are less compatible with the video files (not likely, but that's all I have).
I'm on Windows 11. Maybe I am clicking too fast. Thank you for taking a look.

Reactions: Alcahest
4.30 star(s) 106 Votes