mk40

Jul 23, 2018
Browsing trying to find new or lost things about the parasite in city, I came across this video, which caught my attention, but I was disappointed because it turns out to be false, a montage made by the one who uploaded it on the day of the innocent, but my question here is, is it editing or did it happen in the game engine?

View attachment 2526930
Video link:
Pretty sure it's just an edit too. The sprites are the exact same as the work in progress animations showcased on the dev blog back then when he started working on the sequel.

player--running.gif zombie1-walking.gif player---down.gif player---standing-aim.gif

HornySensei

May 15, 2022
I have no reason to think they are not. Last news I read about them they stopped developing the sequel because its outlawed in their country of residence. Not the first time I learned of a nsfw creator retiring and moving on to a different career, developer of Poke Abby did and unfortunately Mrtucket will too eventually.
And because of these stupid laws, we are now deprived of what would probably be a masterpiece

danksito0305

Jul 17, 2022
It is very discouraging that the sequel has never been released, but, can't you really modify something from the original game? I mean, someone make a modification, mod, or an expansion, I don't know, there was talk that it is difficult to manipulate the original game engine, but what if you moved to another engine? keeping the original game just to be able to manipulate it, I don't know, this is really just my idea, but not really, it's been a long time for someone not to have tried it, I would be willing to support those who are willing to do something for this game

Gear Is Solid

Jan 24, 2022
While searching for some edited sprites I stumbled upon this
Source:

70F376AE-4B99-40F6-BE69-D92793E55F37.gif

It is very discouraging that the sequel has never been released, but, can't you really modify something from the original game? I mean, someone make a modification, mod, or an expansion, I don't know, there was talk that it is difficult to manipulate the original game engine, but what if you moved to another engine? keeping the original game just to be able to manipulate it, I don't know, this is really just my idea, but not really, it's been a long time for someone not to have tried it, I would be willing to support those who are willing to do something for this game
And to answer your question: if you want to move to another engine, you'd probably need to recode the entire game from scratch, and nobody is really motivated to do something that hard (though I heard someone tried to do it in Unity but I lost the Github repository)

The only things you can do would be to decompile the game (data.win file), then edit the sprites or anything that you can touch, then "recompile" the game and hope it works well. I'm currently using something called GM Editor to decompile and recompile the game, and also another tool called Altar.NET for decompiling to JSON (so that I can understand better how the animations works and to what some piece of data corresponds to) except this one can't recompile the game back, any other tool I tried didn't work for me unfortunately.

For the sprites, I just use a pixel editor online (do not use MS Paint or it'll mess up the transparency of your file) to make the edits and export them back to PNG. You also have to make sure the size of the edited sprite file isn't bigger than the original one (that's the same for any file from the game because the edited game file shouldn't be bigger than the original one)

Recently I've tried fiddling a bit with the "code" part of the game by using a hex editor to edit some data and the only thing I've achieved was to make some animations longer (or shorter) by basically changing the number of iterations the game does on that animation.

Sorry for the long post guys, I'm usually not the type to write a lot of things but I felt that I had to explain a bit what's happening in my part. I'm probably still missing some details but I hope it was pretty clear.

onenightowl

Oct 28, 2020
Recently I've tried fiddling a bit with the "code" part of the game by using a hex editor to edit some data and the only thing I've achieved was to make some animations longer (or shorter) by basically changing the number of iterations the game does on that animation.
Changing the animation iterations sounds interesting, and since you're using a Hex Editor, Cheat Engine can also be used. Could you send the addresses, as well as the enemies you were able to change the animation loop iterations?

danksito0305

Jul 17, 2022
While searching for some edited sprites I stumbled upon this
Source:

View attachment 2536634

And to answer your question: if you want to move to another engine, you'd probably need to recode the entire game from scratch, and nobody is really motivated to do something that hard (though I heard someone tried to do it in Unity but I lost the Github repository)

The only things you can do would be to decompile the game (data.win file), then edit the sprites or anything that you can touch, then "recompile" the game and hope it works well. I'm currently using something called GM Editor to decompile and recompile the game, and also another tool called Altar.NET for decompiling to JSON (so that I can understand better how the animations works and to what some piece of data corresponds to) except this one can't recompile the game back, any other tool I tried didn't work for me unfortunately.

For the sprites, I just use a pixel editor online (do not use MS Paint or it'll mess up the transparency of your file) to make the edits and export them back to PNG. You also have to make sure the size of the edited sprite file isn't bigger than the original one (that's the same for any file from the game because the edited game file shouldn't be bigger than the original one)

Sorry for the long post guys, I'm usually not the type to write a lot of things but I felt that I had to explain a bit what's happening in my part. I'm probably still missing some details but I hope it was pretty clear.
I understand your point, and it is that it is quite difficult to try to modify something of the game with the original engine that it has, the little that I know about programming allowed me to delve into the bowels of the game code, but the truth is very complicated, I tried it again Right, so, from what you tell us, did you manage to make the animations last longer or shorter? that sounds very interesting, could you pass some demo? or pass some code that has worked for you, so maybe, try it too.

Reactions: tomwilliams9911

danksito0305

Jul 17, 2022
1681195038584.png 1681195051145.png 1681195062408.png 1681195073643.png 1681195133125.png 1681195146277.png 1681195154784.png 1681195166544.png

I shared these animations here for several months, what caught my attention was that they added sprites of parasite in city to a fighting game like mugen, (Well, although I know that mugen is an open source game and that almost anyone You can add things that seem to you) only that it caught my attention, that the animation is "copy and paste" type but modifying the skins, and it looks like "Bootleg" type, I would like to know how they did that, if something can really be done So, I always found it quite interesting personally

If anyone is interested in the source, get them from here:

Gear Is Solid

Jan 24, 2022
Changing the animation iterations sounds interesting, and since you're using a Hex Editor, Cheat Engine can also be used. Could you send the addresses, as well as the enemies you were able to change the animation loop iterations?
I understand your point, and it is that it is quite difficult to try to modify something of the game with the original engine that it has, the little that I know about programming allowed me to delve into the bowels of the game code, but the truth is very complicated, I tried it again Right, so, from what you tell us, did you manage to make the animations last longer or shorter? that sounds very interesting, could you pass some demo? or pass some code that has worked for you, so maybe, try it too.
I just changed the length of the animations with the first enemy (the one with a green jacket) so here are addresses I changed in the hex editor : 0x003633EC, 0x00363464, 0x0036352C
You just need to change the 03 hex value (value 3 basically) to something else (let's say 0A for 10), that'll make each animation loop 10*2 (an animation is made of 2 iterations it's pretty weird but it is what it is)

And about the cheat engine part : I fiddled a bit with it but I feel like it can break the game so easily so I prefer to do things more cleanly (by doing it with a hex editor with the data.win file), but I also used someone's cheat table for the animations (he got the address that controls the animation and a list of what each value corresponds to like 130 is for the first enemy's animation) and I got the ID number of the animations and that helped me make the changes I made earlier by reading the decompiled code and finding out how the animations works.

And lastly, I kinda made an "extension" of the game by adding a new animation (replacing an old one but still) by drawing the needed sprites in the PNG file (the last one is pretty empty so I can do it there pretty easily) then finding what's the coordinates of the new textures to change them in the according texture pages (a texture page is basically what defines one frame of the animation and to find which texture page you have to edit, you need to read the "sprite" file corresponding to the animation) and that's why I'm using the JSON decompiler : because I wouldn't have got that if I was just using a hex editor to find how animations works.

Anyway, here's a link to download my data.win file (can't attach it directly here unfortunately) so that you can see what I did (and maybe add something to it)
Link :

onenightowl

Oct 28, 2020
I just changed the length of the animations with the first enemy (the one with a green jacket) so here are addresses I changed in the hex editor : 0x003633EC, 0x00363464, 0x0036352C
You just need to change the 03 hex value (value 3 basically) to something else (let's say 0A for 10), that'll make each animation loop 10*2 (an animation is made of 2 iterations it's pretty weird but it is what it is)
Very interesting. We need to find the animation address of the other enemies.

And lastly, I kinda made an "extension" of the game by adding a new animation (replacing an old one but still) by drawing the needed sprites in the PNG file (the last one is pretty empty so I can do it there pretty easily) then finding what's the coordinates of the new textures to change them in the according texture pages (a texture page is basically what defines one frame of the animation and to find which texture page you have to edit, you need to read the "sprite" file corresponding to the animation) and that's why I'm using the JSON decompiler : because I wouldn't have got that if I was just using a hex editor to find how animations works.
Nice animation swaps. If only we had access to the source code to modify the ingame systems and extend functionalities. Also, how did you decompile the game? Also, JSON decompiler? Tried searching for it but couldn't find anything.

Last edited:

Gear Is Solid

Jan 24, 2022
Also, how did you decompile the game?
To decompile the game, I used GM Editor: you just specify a data.win file (the game file) and a path to where you want to decompile the game, then you click on extract and let the magic happen. The decompiled data are stored in different folders, and most of it is extracted as it is from the data.win file (it’s raw bytes good luck trying to read that) and here’s when the JSON decompiler is coming to action.

Also, JSON decompiler? Tried searching for it but couldn't find anything.
As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, it’s called Altar.NET. This decompiler makes JSON files instead of just raw bytes like the other one. This one is a CLI tool (Command Line Interface) that works using a specific syntax and outputs folders containing the decompiled files just like the other tool but this one is able to decompile the GameMaker code (gml code) into something more readable (though it is said to be kinda terrible at it but for me it’s kinda alright) and by using a Hex Editor and with a little bit of time and dedication, you can find at which address some piece of data is located in the decompiled file (from the GM Editor) and make some changes like the number of iterations of an animation. You have to be careful though because if you mess something up, the game won't even start.
And that's also how I was able to change some the animations : I can tell which texture pages the sprite is using, and for the texture page, which texture file and at what coordinate it's located in the file.

Link for GM Editor :
Link for Altar.NET :

onenightowl

Oct 28, 2020
... by using a Hex Editor and with a little bit of time and dedication, you can find at which address some piece of data is located in the decompiled file (from the GM Editor) and make some changes like the number of iterations of an animation. You have to be careful though because if you mess something up, the game won't even start.
And that's also how I was able to change some the animations : I can tell which texture pages the sprite is using, and for the texture page, which texture file and at what coordinate it's located in the file.
Any tips on how to do that? Trying to find the iteration count and timer of the animations of the zombie with green jacket, but no luck so far.

TenFiveZero

Feb 1, 2021
Hello,

I was browsing some indie games and stumbled upon this one. The game is titled Life on Earth and was developed by Kai Magazine Software.

Here's a video and you'll see a familiar but simplified running animation. (Video date : 24 July 2018)

They have also recently released a demo for the remake titled, Life on Earth : Reimagined. (Video date : 18 April 2023)
Here's a and you'll see a more animated arm animation.

The animation in question is this one:

player--running.gif

I compared the three frame by frame. There are some alterations but it is clear that the sprite work originated from the one above.
Should this be reported for plagiarism?

Gear Is Solid

Jan 24, 2022
Any tips on how to do that? Trying to find the iteration count and timer of the animations of the zombie with green jacket, but no luck so far.
It’s located in the code part of the decompiled game, inside a file called gml_Object_ob_player_Other_7.

You open the file with no extension with a Hex Editor and the actual decompiled code from Altar.NET in a text editor like VS Code. Then search for a line of code containing a value between 130s and 134s (the letter s at the end is included), from there you’ll search an if statement with the condition that goes with something along self.event_ < 3s. After finding it, search between which addresses this instruction is located (inside the decompiled file there’s label-like addresses like « 0x119C : » ) and from there, you start your search in the Hex Editor for these addresses. Between these addresses, you search for the value 3 (or whatever you found earlier) and change it to whatever you want.
Example :
The first loop of the animation has an ID of 131
So we search 131s in the decompiled code (the readable code)
After finding the instruction we’re interested in (if something < 3s) we look at the labels between which it’s located. Here it’s 0x00119C and 0x0011BC
So you’ll be searching between these addresses for the byte corresponding to the number 3.
With the hex editor, you search for this value and you’ll find it at address 0x11B0. So you just need to change this value now to whatever you want and you’re done.
I know it’s kinda difficult to understand at first but then it’ll become easy with time.

I compared the three frame by frame. There are some alterations but it is clear that the sprite work originated from the one above.
It really looks similar, hell, I’d say it’s the same animation. But if this should be reported for plagiarism then a lot of people here making edits (me included) will probably get fined to oblivion and end up in jail for that since we didn’t ask for permission to edit either. But I doubt anything will happen since the creator disappeared, though I heard he resurfaced when the game was illegally published in Steam but idk the whole story.

f9account

Engaged Member
Mar 20, 2020
Hello,

I was browsing some indie games and stumbled upon this one. The game is titled Life on Earth and was developed by Kai Magazine Software.

Here's a video and you'll see a familiar but simplified running animation. (Video date : 24 July 2018)

They have also recently released a demo for the remake titled, Life on Earth : Reimagined. (Video date : 18 April 2023)
Here's a and you'll see a more animated arm animation.

The animation in question is this one:

View attachment 2562953

You only get "fined" for plagiarism if there's a government entity involved. Since we're dealing with international sprites and games being stolen from each other, it's really up to the owners of said content to try and contact the legal authorities.

You're welcome to report them, but it's likely nothing at all will happen. This isn't a regulated industry.

johntrine

Oct 14, 2016
Browsing trying to find new or lost things about the parasite in city, I came across this video, which caught my attention, but I was disappointed because it turns out to be false, a montage made by the one who uploaded it on the day of the innocent, but my question here is, is it editing or did it happen in the game engine?

View attachment 2526930
Video link:
that was the clip from the sequel the dev was working on. apparently he quit coz either he was scared of getting caught and thrown into jail or someone did snitch and he did go to jail.

• Sad
Reactions: Oblastbynorth
4.40 star(s) 31 Votes