Patreon Account Selling Pirated Games - Developers Beware

BeCe

Purveyor of Blood and Boobs
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
Wow, what a tool. I wouldn't mind but he is charging for my free version and absolutely no permission was sought to distribute it (might have even said it was okay if they bothered to ask). Also, Patreons reporting thing is weird, can't directly report the violating post... can anyone help me out here?

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
He's using our links, which is fine if he didn't ask for money in return and gave credit to the people who shared them (not F95Zone but the people who shared originally).

View attachment 212531
View attachment 212530

View attachment 212532 View attachment 212534
Yes and that means that they must either be a member on here or a member is giving them the links, as far as I know you cannot get links for the downloads unless you are a member. It has to be a member who joined on or before 25th May 2018.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
I'm not aware of a single modder here that sell his production. And like it's established that all his content come from this forum...
Then you're not up-to-date with the whole "Lain case" thing that happened there (Summertime Saga), within the mod section. Might want to take a ride there.

SmokeyDots

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2017
So how much is Mia Phillip actually affecting devs financially?
Their second listed game on patreon is this
The dev for that game receives $2,022 a month for that game.
Mia Phillip is currently receiving $140 a month for all the games they are listing.

Mia has been sharing games since 30th May 2018 and not one dev has reported a loss of revenue in 7 months. I know what they are doing is not right, but is it actually affecting anyone financially?
Hey that's my game. Where do I report a loss of income and how do I calculate how much I lost?

Reactions: Rythan25

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Then you're not up-to-date with the whole "Lain case" [...]
Wasn't aware of this yes. Well, so there's at least one modder who sell a mod... and so ? I don't ask specifically to you, it's more a generic question.
While I understand that people don't want to pay for this, I also understand main lain. Modding isn't always just changing few lines. By example, for my own mod for Corruption, I past five days to understand the whole game, then find points to insert my own code ; and at this time I also had to invent the way to do it. After that, I have to dedicate up to a whole day each time a new update is released. I haven't counted, but just for this one I must have gave near to three weeks of my free time last year.
So, I understand that some modders can want some counterpart for this. Like my said mod, his walkthrough mod isn't a simple change, it's a whole addition that add a new level to the game, so, why not... I thought about this myself. Not especially putting a mod behind a paywall, but having a Patreon account. I just never did it because I can afford to "loose" this free time.

Anyway it change nothing to the main problem I was pointing. Whatever if the mod is free or not, the guy behind the patreon account ask for $15 for it. It's not anymore piracy and it remind me of the good old days when bbs were selling cracked versions of games, and sometimes stealing your bank information in the same time. So there's nothing really new in what this guy do, which don't mean that it's a thing to do.

Hey that's my game. Where do I report a loss of income and how do I calculate how much I lost?
Justice. And you can't ask for more that his number of patrons x the pledge level for the version he distribute x the number of update he distributed, plus something as damage and interest, and your expenses for the whole action. This supposing that the guy live in your own country, else it's a real pain in the ass.

So, the best is to just report him to Patreon and, if you can, signal that there's other dev's you know that surely didn't gave their agreement.

Oh, he also have a account.

Mirthal

Game Developer
Apr 26, 2018
I took the time to make a formal complaint to the Trust & Safety team (which are usually very ban-happy), with the hope that something articulate and with the same language that they use will help them understand the situation better and act faster, rather than mashing "report" that we all know is less reliable.

I want to encourage you guys to do the same and write to them, if you can share it with your fans, even better.

You can make a request to the

And here is the template, just copy/paste it into the fields.

Request type
I'm looking for support on a Trust & Safety issue.
Subject
Miagamehouse Patreon Page
Description
Dear Trust & Safety team

It has come to my attention that a Patreon user by the name "Miagamehouse" is misusing the platform by illegally downloading other creators content and reuploading it into his account.

This activity has been going till Match 2018, and the user in question has over 800 posts of stolen content that are both from outside creators and creators on Patreon itself.

Even worse, the user is violating Patreon's term of service by uploading content that includes incest, rape, and even bestiality.

I hope this information helps the Trust & Safety team to make Patreon a better space for all creators.

The user in question can be found here:

Regards.
Edit: Added a link on the description text.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
Wasn't aware of this yes. Well, so there's at least one modder who sell a mod... and so ? I don't ask specifically to you, it's more a generic question.
While I understand that people don't want to pay for this, I also understand main lain. Modding isn't always just changing few lines. By example, for my own mod for Corruption, I past five days to understand the whole game, then find points to insert my own code ; and at this time I also had to invent the way to do it. After that, I have to dedicate up to a whole day each time a new update is released. I haven't counted, but just for this one I must have gave near to three weeks of my free time last year.
So, I understand that some modders can want some counterpart for this. Like my said mod, his walkthrough mod isn't a simple change, it's a whole addition that add a new level to the game, so, why not... I thought about this myself. Not especially putting a mod behind a paywall, but having a Patreon account. I just never did it because I can afford to "loose" this free time.
Like I said already (though in another thread, in which I was off topic but I stopped almost immediately), I don't say that asking for a donation or something is bad. Absolutely. After all, modding isn't an easy task and nobody can do it on its own, so having others that do what you want to do it's great, it's awesome. But why would you keep everything behind a paywall when there are people who can't obviously give you anything at all? And are simple players who want to enjoy the game as much as possible? This is really an unfair move nonetheless, period.

You can ask for donation, for a revenue, but locking everything just because it's a mod it's a damn joke - and also, what he really adds? Just a walkthrough inside the game, no more no less. Something that you can easily download for yourself on the thread game, or you can watch video of it since now there's even a thread just for the walkthrough. Cheats? You can easily start the game already with the cheats on, so that is useless. The only awesome thing that he made are the Fan scenes (though not really only him, iirc. Others contributed, he just created the files i guess?) there and the mod in which you can improve the portraits/sprites of the chars and that's it. So now tell me: is this really worth a paywall? Downloading a thing that yes, you can add to your game but other than that, it's what you can easily (again) download for yourself in a .txt format?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I took the time to make a formal complaint to the Trust & Safety team (which are usually very ban-happy), with the hope that something articulate and with the same language that they use will help them understand the situation better and act faster, rather than mashing "report" that we all know is less reliable.

I want to encourage you guys to do the same and write to them, if you can share it with your fans, even better.

Request type

Subject

Description

My main concern is that creators that have disqualified content in their game will have Patreon staff take a deeper look at their game and possibly suspend them.

Does anyone know if Patreon cares about patches or devs involvement on this forum for example that hosts the patches? Or do they turn a blind eye as long as the offending material isn't on the patreon page itself?

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018

Request type

Subject

Description

My main concern is that creators that have disqualified content in their game will have Patreon staff take a deeper look at their game and possibly suspend them.

Does anyone know if Patreon cares about patches or devs involvement on this forum for example that hosts the patches? Or do they turn a blind eye as long as the offending material isn't on the patreon page itself?
Exactly, because we're reporting this guy, Patreon may even just suspend this guy for rape, incest and bestiality games instead of stealing content. Either way is fine for me, but, even though I don't agree with games involving rape and bestiality in them, I don't want the devs of these games to get banned.

Philly_Games

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2017
Somehow i don't think they will look at the other games in question. The sheer amount of complaints i hope is enough. I am actually surprised it is still up but then again, I probably shouldn't be. I mean this is patreon we are talking about.

Mirthal

Game Developer
Apr 26, 2018
I doubt it hits other creators, mostly because Patreon staff (especially the TrustNSafety) usually acts under the "only ban if reported directly" approach.

Reactions: Rythan25 and Runey

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Somehow i don't think they will look at the other games in question. The sheer amount of complaints i hope is enough. I am actually surprised it is still up but then again, I probably shouldn't be. I mean this is patreon we are talking about.
Off topic but I just realized your avatar is far sexier than I originally thought. Up until I zoomed in on it, I thought it was a hot air balloon lol.

Maybe my mind is just too innocent for this line of work.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
This is really an unfair move nonetheless, period.
I understand, really, but it's a gray area for me. In one hand I come from the beginning of Internet and never really lost my "it should be free, open source and available for everyone" spirit, while in the other hand I'm a modder and know how much it can be hard.

01110011 01101011

Donor
Jan 10, 2018
I'm surprised that Patreon did a lot to pursue the devs during the "last year epuration" from "not moral content", but they do not care to protect their long time customers. btw that account is the definition of a scum.

Reactions: Mirthal and Runey

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
Off topic but I just realized your avatar is far sexier than I originally thought. Up until I zoomed in on it, I thought it was a hot air balloon lol.

Maybe my mind is just too innocent for this line of work.
hahah you killed me here, i just thought the same, than you mention it and scroll up and tada....shit

im hoping that someone from patreon will look into that and leave the rest alone, it start to get scary

Reactions: Domiek

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Wow, what a tool. I wouldn't mind but he is charging for my free version and absolutely no permission was sought to distribute it (might have even said it was okay if they bothered to ask). Also, Patreons reporting thing is weird, can't directly report the violating post... can anyone help me out here?
I mentioned it back on page 4 of the thread, but I think you're not the only one that missed this:
You can report a Patreon account for copyright infringement using this form for " ", without having to file a DMCA claim. (Found at the bottom of the "All About Being a Patron" section in Patreon's .)
If you do it this way then you don't have to bother the Trust and Safety team about the particular kind of content, if you'd rather not do that.

Have fun! ;)

Reactions: BeCe

SmokeyDots

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2017

Anyway it change nothing to the main problem I was pointing. Whatever if the mod is free or not, the guy behind the patreon account ask for $15 for it. It's not anymore piracy and it remind me of the good old days when bbs were selling cracked versions of games, and sometimes stealing your bank information in the same time. So there's nothing really new in what this guy do, which don't mean that it's a thing to do.

Justice. And you can't ask for more that his number of patrons x the pledge level for the version he distribute x the number of update he distributed, plus something as damage and interest, and your expenses for the whole action. This supposing that the guy live in your own country, else it's a real pain in the ass.

So, the best is to just report him to Patreon and, if you can, signal that there's other dev's you know that surely didn't gave their agreement.

Oh, he also have a account.
I was just joking around in response to what plug said about no developer reporting lost income. Figured it was natural to ask him, where one would go about reporting it.

The guy made a couple hundred bucks posting links of games... I hope he's using it to feed his family or something. Then it's whatever...

Reactions: Domiek

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
More than a couple of hundred considering that he has been up to that since March 2018