Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes
Nov 24, 2019
Hey guys, do you know where saves for Treasure of Nadia are located on linux ?
Never played this game; But if it is asking the OS on where it should save, it will likely be in ~/.config.

That's your first stop, you should also check, possibly in this order: The www folder of the game; The shared local data in ~/.local/share; The home dir ~ as it sometimes create a hidden folder with application name there.

Probably not worth mentioning, but some (weird) software may write to ~/Documents; So it usually is on my lookup list when everything else go wrong. These are the 5 places you usually check for save files in Linux :)

Last edited:

Lies.

Jun 5, 2019
Hey guys, do you know where saves for Treasure of Nadia are located on linux ?
They're in ~/.config/KADOKAWA/RPGMV/ by default.

What I always forget to do is change the "name" in package.json back to "KADOKAWA/RPGMV", as that seems to be empty on the windows/compressed copy which confuses things.

Presumably setting "name" to something sensible and moving the dir under ~/.config would also work.

ninja_finger

Jun 27, 2021
Does anyone know how to get renpy games to run on whoinix I can't make sense of what to do with the appendix A and B, I've tried two diffrernt games both came with a .sh file but they just open in a notepad type of editor.

Thanks

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Does anyone know how to get renpy games to run on whoinix I can't make sense of what to do with the appendix A and B, I've tried two diffrernt games both came with a .sh file but they just open in a notepad type of editor.

Thanks
Right click and give the bash file (.sh) execute permission. You have to do the same for the file inside "lib" folder.

E.g. the game is called "GameName", in the lib folder is file named "GameName" as well. Give the file execute permission together with the GameName.sh and the game should start.

Reactions: ninja_finger
Jul 28, 2019
Alternatively try opening a terminal at the location of the .sh and use:
./gamename.sh
to run it (replace gamename with whatever the .sh is called).

The default application for .sh files might be set to notepad by whoinix - can change this for ongoing purpses in the mimeapps.list wherever it gets placed by your distro so that in future you can just double-click the .sh's to get them to run (if you want).

ninja_finger

Jun 27, 2021
Right click and give the bash file (.sh) execute permission. You have to do the same for the file inside "lib" folder.

E.g. the game is called "GameName", in the lib folder is file named "GameName" as well. Give the file execute permission together with the GameName.sh and the game should start.
Thanks for the information when I right click it and press permissions it already has ticked at the bottom program and to the right says allow this file to run as a program

Inside the lib folder I see a pyton and a windows folder and two linux one called linux-i686 and the other linux-x86_64

IN both of them they have the game name I dont know the extension but i think its an executable but they both already have the permission checked as described above

ninja_finger

Jun 27, 2021
Alternatively try opening a terminal at the location of the .sh and use:
./gamename.sh
to run it (replace gamename with whatever the .sh is called).

The default application for .sh files might be set to notepad by whoinix - can change this for ongoing purpses in the mimeapps.list wherever it gets placed by your distro so that in future you can just double-click the .sh's to get them to run (if you want).
Thanks I have very little experience with linux, is there a specific line of code I need to use for the terminal or anywhere in particular for a good tutorial that you'd recommend?

In terms of it opening in notepad I didn't quite understand that, what should I get it to run with?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks I have very little experience with linux, is there a specific line of code I need to use for the terminal or anywhere in particular for a good tutorial that you'd recommend?

In terms of it opening in notepad I didn't quite understand that, what should I get it to run with?
You also can open the explorer (nautilus) and change the settings under "preferences" -> "Behaviour" -> "Ask what do to"

1624826476226.png

Jul 28, 2019
A quick search suggests that on Whonix it can be opened from the first icon next to Applications on the bottom left corner. (Many desktops allow it to be opened by right-click.) If opening from the above icon use:

cd /path/to/game/folder

to get to the game folder (cd is short for change directory... I think).

The terminal (or more properly terminal emulator) is just a window where commands can be typed. The ./ just means roughly - run here. Probably best running your own internet searches for the terminal, what it is and how to use it. I'm not familiar with the details of Whonix...

Edit: You might want to set the file association ("open with") for .sh files to 'run program' . Basically you would be telling your OS that when you click on a .sh file it should run it rather than open it in a text editor.

Last edited:

ninja_finger

Jun 27, 2021
A quick search suggests that on Whonix it can be opened from the first icon next to Applications on the bottom left corner. (Many desktops allow it to be opened by right-click.) If opening from the above icon use:

cd /path/to/game/folder

to get to the game folder (cd is short for change directory... I think).

The terminal (or more properly terminal emulator) is just a window where commands can be typed. The ./ just means roughly - run here. Probably best running your own internet searches for the terminal, what it is and how to use it. I'm not familiar with the details of Whonix...

Edit: You might want to set the file association ("open with") for .sh files to 'run program' . Basically you would be telling your OS that when you click on a .sh file it should run it rather than open it in a text editor.
Thanks a lot the cd and making the directory go to the .sh file got it to work, its coming up with graphical warning but I guess thats just whoinix saying about limited graphics or something, it looks slightly off but it at least works.

Reactions: gigawattfiend
Nov 24, 2019
Thanks a lot the cd and making the directory go to the .sh file got it to work, its coming up with graphical warning but I guess thats just whoinix saying about limited graphics or something, it looks slightly off but it at least works.
RenPy 7.4+ requires you to have OpenGL - So you must have a GPU card. They kept only a basic, stripped down, software mode, which may behave weirdly (slightly off, like not autoscaling).

For most Ren'Py programs you can force a downgrade to 7.3.5 which has full support for the software render mode (aka. SDL) - Software Render Mode runs even without a GPU (actually, it might even run better without a GPU), so it is almost needed for old PCs.

Hyuuga_Neji

Jan 15, 2020
Treasure of Nadia
-
[ARCH LINUX INSTALLATION]

Yo there,

I'm making this post cause nobody here could ever clearly explain what is necessary and sufficient in order to play Treasure of Nadia on a bare Linux install. Most of the people who have answered, wrongly saying that it works out-of-the-box simply have systems with tons of packages installed which is why they didn't have to do anything, just as I didn't have to on my previous Ubuntu 18.04 system.

But on a bare Linux install like an ArchLinux system, here is what you must do:

You will most likely encounter this issue when trying to launch the game normally by executing the nw binary (the launcher.sh and Game.desktop are just wrappers) in the game directory :

FATAL:platform_font_linux.cc(83)] Check failed: InitDefaultFont(). Could not find the default font

Install Packages :

• ffmpeg
  • nwjs-ffmpeg-codecs-bin (for Arch -> AUR) which will install nwjs-bin (AUR too) consequently
Then, launch the game this way (and not the way everybody says):

1. cd <game_dirpath>
  2. LD_PRELOAD=/opt/nwjs/libffmpeg.so /usr/bin/nw .
The environment varialbe in the last command is to enforce nw (the command /usr/bin/nw, not to be confused with the file nw in the game directory) to use the ffmpeg codecs we installed which are needed to run the game.

Hope this post can help some of you other FOSS (Fappers with Open Source Software) !!

PS:You can also get an error about libXss.so.1 missing for which you can install the package libxss, but it will normally be installed automatically as a dependency to nwjs-bin

References:
[1]https://f95zone.to/threads/playing-on-linux-tutorials-tools-and-help.19523/post-3187251 | Thanks to johnelros for leading me to the right path !
[2]
[3] | Thread about another NW.js game with a very similar problem
I've tried your way to run ToN on my Manjaro (use AUR to install ffmpeg and nwjs ) but it keep making a black windows with background audio... here's my terminal output ()
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The only way I make ToN run on my system was downloading RPGMaker for linux and movin the www content from ToN folder to RPGMaker folder and executing nw from RPGMaker folder...

Nov 24, 2019
I've tried your way to run ToN on my Manjaro (use AUR to install ffmpeg and nwjs ) but it keep making a black windows with background audio... here's my terminal output ()

The only way I make ToN run on my system was downloading RPGMaker for linux and movin the www content from ToN folder to RPGMaker folder and executing nw from RPGMaker folder...
That seems to be related to your hardware, not to the linked instructions.

...I would bet you're using a Radeon R300, the GPU released in 2002–2005; Judging from your driver, at least. (Which is up-to-date). I may be wrong.

Because what the error message says, is that your GPU (hardware) could not handle it.

RPGMaker is probably doing a work-around for you; But as I said, the issue seems to be hardware-related, not software-related. Otherwise I'm a bit clueless :)

(Otherwise, I would advise posting the output of inxi -CG for documentation purposes.)

Hyuuga_Neji

Jan 15, 2020
That seems to be related to your hardware, not to the linked instructions.

...I would bet you're using a Radeon R300, the GPU released in 2002–2005; Judging from your driver, at least. (Which is up-to-date). I may be wrong.

Because what the error message says, is that your GPU (hardware) could not handle it.

RPGMaker is probably doing a work-around for you; But as I said, the issue seems to be hardware-related, not software-related. Otherwise I'm a bit clueless :)

(Otherwise, I would advise posting the output of inxi -CG for documentation purposes.)
Of course i'll show my inxi -CG....

Now I say... ToN run (honestly no so fast as Ren's Py games do) on my Hardware using RPG Maker's way... but I give you the vote for "bad hardware" ;). Greetings from Cuba

aattss

Feb 20, 2018
I've been using Wine to play some RPGM games. Does anyone have any tips on this error? Some of the music doesn't play.

0024:err:dmloader:IDirectMusicLoaderImpl_SetObject : could not attach stream to file L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\gm.dls", make sure it exists

I went ahead and copied a gm.dls file to the .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/drivers folder, but I'm still getting the same error.

Edit: As an update, it's apparently a MIDI thing where it works if I convert .mid files to .mp3 files, though I would prefer if I could fix Wine instead of having to manually convert all the .mid files for each game.

Last edited:

Hyuuga_Neji

Jan 15, 2020
Hyuuga_Neji Hi there, I didn't know it back then, but there's a `nw` package in the AUR. I don't remember what else I had to do, but running nw.js games with this package installed was a lot easier than what I wrote last year.
I tried to run ToN using aur and received the same error (Black Windows with background sound) I'm begining to think my ancient hardware has no power to run nw.js games. The only way I can say it Work is using RPG Maker for Linux and copying the www content from the game to RPG Maker's www folder.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Capacitor said:
For players: Create a Wine prefix for Japanese games (see Appendix D). Your system needs to support the Japanese language; if it doesn't, just install the language. You can check if your system supports Japanese by typing "locale -a" in a terminal: you should see somewhere "ja_JP.utf8".
Now you need to run the game using the Japanese locale. This requires a little variation on the executable shown in Appendix D:
Code:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
WINEPREFIX="[prefix_full_path]" LANG="ja_JP.utf8" wine "[filename].exe"
I haven't tested this procedure recently, last time was at least a couple of years ago, so there may be something wrong or inaccurate here. If something doesn't work properly, try some variations or ask for help here.
Note that this procedure doesn't assure you that the game will run under Wine. You may need to install some components like DirectX support or it may be completely incompatible with Wine. This is just to give you the highest probability to actually run it.
Some additional information how to play Japanese games using Wine:

Depending on the game engine, above instruction often works. For Japanese VNs that use Kirikiri engine however (you can recognize the engine on the file extension "xp3"), you have to enable Shift-JS encoding (read here: and here: ).

Apparently you have to modify your system's locale file to enable Shift-JS encoding. Not sure what the code really does, but afterwards many Japanese games started to work for me.

See:
Code:
localedef -f EUC-JP -i ja_JP $LOCPATH/ja_JP.EUC-JP
localedef -c -f SHIFT_JIS -i ja_JP $LOCPATH/ja_JP.SJIS
To launch a game I used one these lines:
Code:
WINEPREFIX="[prefix_full_path]" LANG="ja_JP.utf8" wine "[filename].exe"
WINEPREFIX="[prefix_full_path]" LC_ALL="ja_JP.utf8" wine "[filename].exe"
WINEPREFIX="[prefix_full_path]" wine "[filename].exe"
It has been tested on Wine-6.16 (Staging).

Some games require cjkfonts, devenum and quartz, which can be install via Winetricks.

EDIT: Newer games with animated scenes require wmvcore.dll which you get after installing Windows Media Player 9 or 10 (wmp 10 is 32-bit only!) via Winetricks. Installation of wmp11 fails due to missing l3codecs.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes