Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Town of Passion
This works for me with no workarounds on Arch using nwjs 0.55.0.

The method I use is to simply grab the latest nwjs tarball (sdk optional), then run
Code:
tar xvf ~/Downloads/nwjs-version-linux-x64.tar.gz --strip-components=1
from inside the game's root directory. Then I just run ./nw, also from inside the root directory.

FONTCONFIG_PATH=fonts ./nw
I don't even need to override FONTCONFIG_PATH and never have for any RPGM game. Something is wrong with your setup because I don't think mine is especially special, maybe I just have a couple of fonts installed that removed the problems before they appeared.

I know Treasures of Nadia is a special case, but 99% of RPGM games just work for me after doing the above.

What a sec. you copied the game folder into the latest NW.js folder? You know, you only need to move the game's "www" folder and the "project.json" file to your new NW.Js folder.
I don't do any of the directory/file moving/copying mentioned in the OP and I've never even tried, I just unpack the tarball and play the game. That method seems like an unnecessary headache.

Nov 24, 2019
Not related to any specific game but has anyone figured out how (if at all) one can translate games on Linux (so hooking and translating)?
That really depends on the engine, my friend.

(Unless you mean some software reading the screen and translating, which I never used and am not aware, but someone else might know)

fasefive

Apr 27, 2019
hey guys thanks for the replies on my issue

Treasure of Nadia use tons of plugins. Some might not work with a newer version of NW.js.
I think thats the problem, it comes with an old version that doesn't work with arch, and when you drop the current version in, it breaks. I downloaded the windows version and it runs in Lutris at least!

The method I use is to simply grab the latest nwjs tarball (sdk optional), then run
Code:
tar xvf ~/Downloads/nwjs-version-linux-x64.tar.gz --strip-components=1
from inside the game's root directory. Then I just run ./nw, also from inside the root directory.
thanks for the tip that actually got Town of Passion working, I must have overwritten or missed something.. I normally just extract NWJS then drop www and package.json in. Hopefully other games are fine will do some more testing when I have time

burningcel

Mar 7, 2021
I have a problem with running "Do you have Akira points?" with nw.js
Copied "www" directory and "nw.pak" and "package.json" files, game starts but at the main menu it shows "Loading error Failed to load: img/pictures/title%2Fbutton_new.png".
I have a directory img/pictures/title but all files there are with .rpgmvp extension, no .png
Googled rpgmvp, and those are some encripted png files, so I guess the conflict is because of decryption diffirences between nw.js and win rpgmaker engine? Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be welcome.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I have a problem with running "Do you have Akira points?" with nw.js
Copied "www" directory and "nw.pak" and "package.json" files, game starts but at the main menu it shows "Loading error Failed to load: img/pictures/title%2Fbutton_new.png".
I have a directory img/pictures/title but all files there are with .rpgmvp extension, no .png
Googled rpgmvp, and those are some encripted png files, so I guess the conflict is because of decryption diffirences between nw.js and win rpgmaker engine? Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be welcome.
I think you mixed things up.

- Download v0.53 for nw.js from here: .
- Extract nw.js into a new folder.
- Copy the game's "www" folder and "package.json" file and paste it into the new nw.js folder.
- Launch the game either via terminal "./nw" or rename file "nw" to nw.sh (Note: Don't forget to set permission to the file: Right-click -> Properties -> Tab Permission -> "Allow executing file as program").

burningcel

Mar 7, 2021
I think you mixed things up.

- Download v0.53 for nw.js from here: .
- Extract nw.js into a new folder.
- Copy the game's "www" folder and "package.json" file and paste it into the new nw.js folder.
- Launch the game either via terminal "./nw" or rename file "nw" to nw.sh (Note: Don't forget to set permission to the file: Right-click -> Properties -> Tab Permission -> "Allow executing file as program").
Ok, tried to run with nwjs-v0.53.0-linux-x64.tar.gz from your link, got the same error. Before I used version 0.57.1 stable normal from this link in the tutorial.
The thing is, the game runs, I get the title background picture and title music is playing, but there are no buttons, only this error message.
Seeing as it can't find "title%2button_new.png" and I have a file button_new.rpgmvp in /title the problem is with %2 special character or whatever it is. There must be some naming handling differences between nw.js and rpgmaker engine as it apparently looks for a file with a different name and obvilusly can't find it.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Ok, tried to run with nwjs-v0.53.0-linux-x64.tar.gz from your link, got the same error. Before I used version 0.57.1 stable normal from this link in the tutorial.
The thing is, the game runs, I get the title background picture and title music is playing, but there are no buttons, only this error message.
Seeing as it can't find "title%2button_new.png" and I have a file button_new.rpgmvp in /title the problem is with %2 special character or whatever it is. There must be some naming handling differences between nw.js and rpgmaker engine as it apparently looks for a file with a different name and obvilusly can't find it.
Did you download the original or compressed version of the game?

burningcel

Mar 7, 2021
Yeah.. there is a path issue when you try to play it on Linux.
I also tried to play it with nw.js on windows and got the same error, so it's not platform specific.

Also, I guess nw.js handles names differently from rpgmaker when it decrypts rpgmvp files, tho I'm confused why it handled title background picture correctly. Is there a way to edit names of png files encrypted as rpgmvp?

Last edited:

yamipleb

Oct 27, 2018
I also tried to play it with nw.js on windows and got the same error, so it's not platform specific.

Also, I guess nw.js handles names differently from rpgmaker when it decrypts rpgmvp files, tho I'm confused why it handled title background picture correctly. Is there a way to edit names of png files encrypted as rpgmvp?
just edit the name of the .rpgmvp file

Nov 24, 2019
"%" means the following the character is a special character and their hexadecimal code follows (two digits, always): 2F

2F is the ASCII character for the slash symbol ("/").

It obviously should not represent the slash as a special symbol, specially an ASCII standard symbol. Try copying "/titles/button_new.rpgm" to "/titles%2Fbutton_new.rpgm", but in any case, the slash ("/") is an illegal symbol for filenames both on Linux and Windows.

Of course, someone might have messed up and started using slashes haphazardly (e.g. "data\titles/image.png"). Usually the computer is smart enough to auto-correct it but not always. In the above example, "\t" just so happens to stand for "tabulation", so it might look for something called "data itles/image.png" and obviously won't succeed.)

I'm not aware on how NW parses paths, specially RPGM encrypted ones. That would be my first guess, though.
RPGM MV have Linux builds, which sometimes can be recycled for a better experience; And you should also see if Wine can run it or not.

yamipleb

Oct 27, 2018
that's called percent encoding (or url encoding)

and again.. filename limitations are up to the filesystem... only indirectly related to the OS by which it has support for

Nov 24, 2019
this thread is full of misinformation..
for one, linux is not case sensitive per se.
the filesystem determines case sensitivity
usually you will have your drive partitioned with common filesystems like ext4, zfs, xfs, btrfs, and such
they are all (normally) case sensitive
you can have a separate partition with fat, ntfs, exfat, or whatever that isn't case sensitive.
alternatively, make a case insensitive FUSE if you like, and run whatever you like there.

if you want to install a specific version of software there a several good ways to accomplish that... check your distro's documentation for what is recommended or switch to nixos (or use the nix package manager)

pretty much everyone here needs to RTFM!
please read the man pages, info docs, and help output for the software you use
look things up in the wonderful wikis provided by gentoo, arch, ubuntu and so on
it's worth it :)
Technically, Windows will be either FAT (Win95, Win98, Win2000, probably WinXP and/or WinVista?) or NTFS (Win7+). Never in my life saw someone attempt to run them in a different filesystem.

Neither are case-sensitive, so it would be safe if you are having casing issues, you are on a unix-like OS. Besides, common linux installers will not ask "Do you want to use ext4? Here is a full explanation for you" - they'll offer you:
1- Install Linux
2- Install Dual Boot
3- Use the partition tool manually

Using the first option in 99.9% Linux installers will yield you a case-sensitive OS. So yeah, it is safe to assume Linux is case-sensitive by default. But it is Linux we're talking about; You of course can change that, which was just shown.

So no, it is not a lack of reading the manual. It is one of the rules you learn in tech support - The user wants to fix their problem, not to learn how stuff works behind the curtains; So focus on providing them a solution (e.g. Install to a pendrive - FAT/NTFS partition; Set the folder as case-insensitive; Manually fix the casing; etc.) and simplify the technical details (e.g. "GNU/Linux is not Linux, but GNU running on Linux").

and again.. filename limitations are up to the filesystem... only indirectly related to the OS by which it has support for
The user did not even mention their OS besides "Linux".

From the begin, we are working with defaults (ext4 but may be btrfs; Debian-like OS but might be Arch-based). Such filesystem limitations are non-default, the user would probably mention if they changed that on the installer.

Specific systems like Gentoo also are not something you would casually forget to mention when asking for support. Please consider the intended audience is not aware of all little technical details we know as the back of our hands ;-)

Also worth mentioning - RPGM is built upon NWJS which is built upon Chromium and Javascript. So URL-encoded is to be expected. The user doesn't knows what it means, so telling them is fine, but this was not their question.

You might not be wrong, but if you are trying to support someone, being helpful is much more important than being right =)

Last edited:

burningcel

Mar 7, 2021
just edit the name of the .rpgmvp file
renamed file to title%2Fbutton_new.rpgmvp and to title%2Fbutton_new.png, no difference, nwjs can't find it in /title nor in its parent directory /pictures.

"%" means the following the character is a special character and their hexadecimal code follows (two digits, always): 2F

2F is the ASCII character for the slash symbol ("/").

It obviously should not represent the slash as a special symbol, specially an ASCII standard symbol. Try copying "/titles/button_new.rpgm" to "/titles%2Fbutton_new.rpgm", but in any case, the slash ("/") is an illegal symbol for filenames both on Linux and Windows.

Of course, someone might have messed up and started using slashes haphazardly (e.g. "data\titles/image.png"). Usually the computer is smart enough to auto-correct it but not always. In the above example, "\t" just so happens to stand for "tabulation", so it might look for something called "data itles/image.png" and obviously won't succeed.)

I'm not aware on how NW parses paths, specially RPGM encrypted ones. That would be my first guess, though.
RPGM MV have Linux builds, which sometimes can be recycled for a better experience; And you should also see if Wine can run it or not.
So nwjs can't parse ASCII special character for "/"? So the dev named their png file with ASCII character in it? Or was the slash in a path replaced by a ASCII special character in the process of nwjs parsing of rpgmvp files? Tho why would nwjs parser translate slashes in a path into fucking ASCII when it can't parse it in the first place..

Anyway, my config is a standard fedora config with ext4 filesystem, tho I can't see how is this relevant when nwjs also returns the same error on ntfs filesystem..

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Downloaded from here https://f95zone.to/threads/do-you-have-akira-points-final-golden-fever.26448/
It was a rar archive. Checked it on windows and it works.
I tried getting this to work with my usual bag of tricks but was unable to natively (at least not quickly). The good news is it loads the menu perfectly fine using WINE, so I'd just use that in this case.

First time I've seen the %2F issue for RPGM, no idea what the problem is, maybe something to do with japanese encoding (if it has any).

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
good point. this is obviously not my forte
i'll leave support to the helpful types.
While pazkero is right about being helpful, explaining the "why" is also important. While most people may not find it useful nor important, there are always some who also prefer to know the "why" part. It's the difference between those who prefer do be dumb and those who want to know and be smarter next time.

IMHO, if you have time to explain, then explain.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes