VN Ren'Py Abandoned PolyCafe [v0.1b] [2idiotgames]

3.70 star(s) 3 Votes

slimlayzie

May 22, 2018
A lot of drama in this thread, lol. I think I'll throw my two cents in...but try to do so in a unbiased way.

First off, the Lillie/Liam thing isn't really to my liking...BUT it's not a big enough turn off to make me stop following/playing the game. That being said...what IS a big enough turn off is the fact that so far...I don't particularly like MC or Lillie. MC is a complete douche, he comes accross as weak, rude and unlikeable. As the player, I'm supposed to atleast like/relate to the character I'm controlling. Lillie, despite the developers presumed intentions...comes across as cold and, still a gold-digger. I didn't play the first build...but this whole "attractive young girl falls for creepy, unattractive rich old guy because he was nice to her" approach just doesn't fly with me...so this older dude is the ONLY male in her entire life that is "nice" to her? She comes off as a complete gold digger. Plus...who goes all BDSM on a first date??? Seriously?

The MC/Lillie relationship is...awkward to say the least. They've known each other forever, live together, own a cafe together...(are apparently bro/sis) but there just doesn't seem to be any real connection there. I absolutely think in the new rebuild (which I saw on his patreon is being done) some more defining of what the relationship is up to this point needs to be implemented, if they are not meant to be that close, why are they not close? Is it just because she lived with her aunt? Did they not keep in touch at all during that time? if so, and they aren't close...why live together and open a business together?

I just want to add that these are MY thoughts. I'm not trying to tell the developer that he needs to change the game, I'm simply sharing my thoughts on a game that, so far, I feel has really nice renders but the three main characters thus far all come across as either unlikable or unwanted (for me, personally). I also am not really sure what this game is trying to be yet...MC is SUPPOSED to the be the MC, but as unlikable as it made her, It just seems like Lillie has more character development. So is this a one mc game? or a two mc game? It seems like the Lillie/Liam story is far more important to the developer than the MC. If so...why isn't Lillie or Liam the MC?

As for trying/not trying to appeal to everyone....well that will likely depend on what the developer is trying to do with this game. As of this moment, I see 4 patreons for $4. Now, if They are simply doing this for fun/hobby and don't need to make a dime off of it, than do whatever you want, however you want. Those who like will play, those who don't will not. But, seeing as this is a new developer, if they are looking/hoping to make some money...than trying to both appeal to as many people as you can and STILL make the game you want to make (or as close to it, with a bit of compromise thrown in) likely isn't the worst idea while they try to build up a following. You're not gonna build a following if a large majority of the people who check your game out are deleting it after playing.

Those are just my thoughts, Please...developer, dont take this as me attacking you or EXPECTING you to change anything. I'm simply sharing my opinion, on a forum that generally welcomes that. I do wish you the best of luck, both with this and your other game, and I will be keeping an eye out for the new build to see how that plays. So again, Good luck with it all, I do look forward to how things have changed/evolved in the next build, and I hope you have fun and enjoy the experience. :)

voyeurkind

Jan 26, 2018
Plus...who goes all BDSM on a first date??? Seriously?
To be fair, I know of at least one couple who did and ended up married for several years. So it does happen, but both of them also admit it was something foolish to do.

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
The making of this game now interests me more than the game itself. The developer stopped collecting donations on his Patreon page with the announcement that he was releasing another game and reworking this one. It seems that he is accepting donations again but has not posted any comments on that page for over a month.

Reactions: HunterSeeker

slimlayzie

May 22, 2018
To be fair, I know of at least one couple who did and ended up married for several years. So it does happen, but both of them also admit it was something foolish to do.
That is fair...I should of stated it being extremely unlikely, but you're right...some people are into things more and It's not fair to conclude that no one would go that route on a first date. :)

The making of this game now interests me more than the game itself. The developer stopped collecting donations on his Patreon page with the announcement that he was releasing another game and reworking this one. It seems that he is accepting donations again but has not posted any comments on that page for over a month.
Developer IS trying. That's the main reason why, despite not really enjoying the game right now, I'm sticking with it and waiting for further releases. The story and theme have potential, I just feel the execution of it and defining of the characters needs some real work. But show me a developer who is genuinely trying to adapt and improve his game and I'll stick with it for a bit and see how things go.

Reactions: voyeurkind

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
That is fair...I should of stated it being extremely unlikely, but you're right...some people are into things more and It's not fair to conclude that no one would go that route on a first date. :)

Developer IS trying. That's the main reason why, despite not really enjoying the game right now, I'm sticking with it and waiting for further releases. The story and theme have potential, I just feel the execution of it and defining of the characters needs some real work. But show me a developer who is genuinely trying to adapt and improve his game and I'll stick with it for a bit and see how things go.
I am too, I'm really rooting for him. When the initial uproar started pouring in he said several times that he realized that players had an issue with Liam and intended to fix it. When the next update came out not only was the issue not fixed but was apparently made worse. I just wonder what the rework will end up looking like. I think whatever he does he's going to have to sit through a wave of negative comments. If he leaves the Lillie/Liam relationship intact, he will have fixed nothing in the eyes some people. If he removes the relationship, he will draw the ire of those that initially supported him. It seems like the only solution will to have both options. I'm not a developer so I don't know what difficulties would arise from splitting into two story lines that early in the novel or if those two story lines could be pulled back together to allow for a more linear narrative.

slimlayzie

May 22, 2018
Yeah, They're never gonna please everyone...regardless of what they do. I'm not into games where the character I'm with is with other male characters, but a character I'm not with...not exactly a selling point, but not gonna make me abandon the game if I enjoy other aspects of it. He mentioned having the scenes skip able, then decided not to do that....that MAY be the best option. I'm sure some will still skip it, cause they want the fantasy that every potential partner in a game is a virgin or something, but I think that may be a good compromise to keep as many people as possible happy. The story he wants is still being told, but those who don't want to see the sexual scenes can avoid them.

I just feel like none of that will matter if they don't find a way to make the main charcters more likable. From the comments I'm not the only one who finds the MC to be a complete douche or his friend/sister to be an unlikable money grabber. I feel if they can find a way to make them more likeable/relatable, he'll find himself with more goodwill and more people will be willing to overlook some aspects they don't like.

voyeurkind

Jan 26, 2018
Reading the comments on this game just showed me that I never want to play a game that is about polyamory. I haven't even played the game but when I read the comments talking about what happens in the game with Liam, Lillie and MC and I started feeling nauseous.
Polyamory isn't for everyone, but I think the bigger issue is that the writing could be improved. Give Lillie and MC more of a feeling of actually being good friends, change up some of Liam's actions and make the reasons Lillie is attracted to Liam more obvious and seem less mercenary, and I think the story improves.

Reactions: HunterSeeker

MLBnoob

Mar 13, 2019
he was only making 1 dollar. (y)
Well introducing another guy, he is unanimously unlikable, in a non-NTR game building an instant sexual relationship with a Love interest makes people not give support. And also not listening and disregarding an opinion shared by most who played is stupid, I respect devs that do their own story but not listening to the potential patrons can really backfire that sentiment and just makes it clear that their high ego are their downfall.

But still hoping they will remake this and implement changes to the story and that they will listen if both of the dev and the writer comes back.

Reactions: RedPillBlues

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
Ok, late to the party, but I figured I'd weigh in on this one. Wasn't planning on playing it, since it's abandoned, but given that it's centered around polyamory & I'm one of the few people here that actually live the life, it caught my interest.

First, regarding the whole "Liamgate" thing, frankly, I don't understand what the problem is. He seems like a pretty normal guy. He seems to have a rather polite, courteous & straightforward demeanor, he doesn't seem overtly malicious or manipulative, am I missing something here? I mean I was going in thinking this guy would be a straight up rapey douche nozzle, but he just seemed like an ordinary guy. Sure, he seems to have money, but I mean are we really hating the guy because he's successful? I mean... REALLY? That just comes off, to me, more like those in the "we hate Liam" club are guys that self insert a bit too much into the MC's shoes & see Liam as a threat. The thing is, I've never seen any of my metamours, (my partner's other partners), as a threat because I know exactly where I stand with my partners & vice versa.

As for the rest of the game, unfortunately it died before it could really even go anywhere. MC & BF open a cafe, (I named it "Why?" XD), BF hooks up with Liam, MC hooks up with beach chick, the end. Not really enough here to really formulate much of an opinion TBH.

3.70 star(s) 3 Votes