Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
tumblr_phdolwHrLx1s9w52zo1_1280.png.jpg

Why hello there! Meet Clementine, a young lady of a noble house that has homesteads in the Redlands "city" of Faltest and the grand city of Atlathka... but they are struggling to gain a foothold in the ancient and founded city of Atlathka where the sands refuse to shift for new powers. She is travelling to Kaldea to try and establish political and business ties with the regions fastest growing city open to all comers with the hopes to strengthen her families position to reach out into Atlathka proper.

So what has delayed our update so far? I'll tell/show you!

Q: So when is this update pushed to?
A: Probably early-mid November.

Q: What is left to finish this update?
A: Combat tweaks to make it more complete.

Q: Why will not you publish the update in this state?
A: Combat has been out number one issue and complaint so far, when we get a complaint it's on our unfinished and janky combat. This is a fair point since it is, in fact, unfinished and janky, so where we might not have it 100% (that'll wait quite some time) we plan to have it completed to a degree where the combat is possible. With our new narrative chunk coming we want the game to not be spoiled by mechanics.

Q: How such delays are likely in the future updates?
A: Much less likely due current delay was caused by unexpected need to update more foundation code than we expected. All of this foundation code will be reused in the future updates because we took extra time to make them in universal modules, which make future quest scripting MUCH more efficient. Here's the list of all the modules we had to make for this update.

Q: What is the "unexpected code updates"?
A: This update having the most sophisticated and scripted quest in the game so far made us to realize that the old system wasn't as efficient if we want to make plenty of quests. AI behaviour needed a lift up, since they are now inside a more complex location, so their aggro script now had to include walls and other obstacles so enemies won't try to fight you from other rooms. Not to mention their roaming and infighting behaviour. All of this was made into modules, which took extra time from this update but will save time in the future updates. Here is how those modules look in unity

Q: What are the new major things in this update for the player?
A: All the mentioned under the hood work, Line of sight FOW mechanic, new UI, inventory with new items, questlog, codex aka lore encyclopedia(also used for books), collectibles(mini lewd pictures), 4 new enemies, 5locations, 1smut scene with 3 animated CGs, 1temporary playable companion, a big introduction quest with lots of story and dialog, 4new ambience music tracks, lots of SFX added. That's not counting small misc stuff and bugfixes.

Q: So if current update leftover work is code, then whats rest of team is doing?
A: We already started doing content for next update (planned end of December), we will hold a vote over next(3rd out 4 planned) companion soon-ish.

(If my english seems odd, its because this Q&A section was done parts of Arbuz and sometimes I re-wrote abit here and there).

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
concept-oshto2.png

Our third companion Osh'To has changed a bit! Arbuz is still experimenting with possible horns/hair/outfit and such but this look a lot of us are pretty happy with so far. The giant club definitely is where I want to take her for weapon wise, massive blunt damage for bashing armored opponents into submission.

Her backstory will revolve around her history as a mercenary. That old unit she was a part of disbanded and, no longer together, she has been working solo as whatever work she can find. Her work so far has been a drop in the bucket that is her emmense debts.

Here were some of our earlier ideas for our Ogre companion;

DZrqFbeWkAAsOMW.png
1.png
concept-Oshto.png

Also Hiho, the sneaky snake she is, sneaked in there! That's a very early concept for our Naga companion Hiho, so far a fan favourite! Update work cotninues on and shoudl be delivering soon bar any unexpected situations.

Shirokaze

Nov 23, 2018
i do like how 2 faced these devs can act, very kind and courteous on these forums but in their discord they threaten people who make jokes at them and supposedly ban people who are too critical of team members. their game may be good but their behavior is utter shit, would definitely recommend not supporting these people.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
i do like how 2 faced these devs can act, very kind and courteous on these forums but in their discord they threaten people who make jokes at them and supposedly ban people who are too critical of team members. their game may be good but their behavior is utter shit, would definitely recommend not supporting these people.
Can you substantiate these claims? As you've said I've only ever seen them be nice, if what you've said is true then it changes quite a bit.

Shirokaze

Nov 23, 2018
Can you substantiate these claims? As you've said I've only ever seen them be nice, if what you've said is true then it changes quite a bit.
redacted names that weren't devs so as to some pretext. red guy is a mod, people like to make jokes over people shilling in the discord from time to time, mod made a joke over shilling, the bread emote thing is like a precursor to the Twitch Kappa face, so is meant to be as sarcasm, not long after dev DM'd the mod essentially threatening him over the joke and telling him to watch it or he'd have his mod status removed, times are different due to 2 different user screenshots, which should be easy enough to see since you can't get DMs from blocked users.

Edit: meant to be a reply

Edit2: concerned person asked me to remove the dms. while i dont agree with removal, regarding their circumstances as to why they asked i feel i should oblige. apologies to those who werent able to see, you'll just have to take my word on what transpired.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedPillBlues

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
redacted names that weren't devs so as to some pretext. red guy is a mod, people like to make jokes over people shilling in the discord from time to time, mod made a joke over shilling, the bread emote thing is like a precursor to the Twitch Kappa face, so is meant to be as sarcasm, not long after dev DM'd the mod essentially threatening him over the joke and telling him to watch it or he'd have his mod status removed, times are different due to 2 different user screenshots, which should be easy enough to see since you can't get DMs from blocked users.

Edit: meant to be a reply
Hm it's obvious that there's a bit of context missing here. I'm curious as to whether the guy was actually harassing part of the team or if he was just being critical like you've said. I don't quite get the shilling being a joke, but to threaten someone over what seems to be a harmless joke does seem kind of extreme. Of course there's always two sides to every story. Is the discord open to public or is it patreon only?

Last edited:

Shirokaze

Nov 23, 2018
Hm it's obvious that there's a bit of context missing here. I'm curious as to whether the guy was actually harassing part of the team or if he was just being critical like you've said. I don't quite get the shilling being a joke, but to threaten someone over what seems to be a harmless joke does seem kind of extreme. Of course there's always two sides to every story. Is the discord open to public or is it patreon only?
the discord is public, its on their patreon page

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Essentially this whole situation boils down to friction between myself and a moderator we had, and the issue was leaked publicly. I apologize that the rest of the team has to deal with this drama and that the drama has been dragged onto here where you guys have to deal with it.

Reactions: RedPillBlues

bioticemu

Jul 11, 2018
Essentially this whole situation boils down to friction between myself and a moderator we had, and the issue was leaked publicly. I apologize that the rest of the team has to deal with this drama and that the drama has been dragged onto here where you guys have to deal with it.
You know I shouldn't even be talking to you but I feel the need to. That whole situation happened cause you're jumping at ghosts, and this isnt the first time you threatened mods either lets not forget that, but you're going to walk away from this untouched cause you're literally protected from any sort of consequence. So go ahead and take your half hearted apology, you got what you wanted from this situation. My blood is fucking boiling from this bullshit. They dont punish the guy who made threats, no, "oh make an apology and a slap on the wrist that'll teach him. and now we'll demod the mod you had problems with" maybe i'll regret posting this later but im frustrated with the lack of responsibility being taken in my opinion.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Hey, we finally got our free public build out. With massive updates to combat\content\UI and all other stuff. You can get it
splash-pr.png
Here's some fantasy tits to get you interested.

Whats new compared to previous public build:
- 3 new girls with fully animated scenes.
- Big introduction quest with its unique locations and story.
- Additional side quests.
- Heavily reworked combat.
- Lots of UI updates and new mechanics: inventory, leveling, world, bestiary, quest log, new travel and combat HUD.
- Much more alive town with moving crowds of people.
- Lots of new locations big and small.
- 4 new enemies.
- Lots of additional visuals including particles, special effects, animated plants and misc wildlife.
- Lots of new ambient tracks and sound effects.
- Dynamic fog of war and line of sight.
- Lots of lore information in the codex encyclopedia.
- Collectibles scattered around the map.
- Enormous list of bug fixes.

Things lacking in public build compared to latest patron one are essentially all brothel girls sex scene present only for patrons.

hiho-lounge-screen.png

finished-hera-screen.png

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Wait so you guys are locking content behind a paywall as well as holding the release back by a week? That's a pretty scummy business model. I highly suggest you do either or, preferably hold thew release back a month like everyone else does on Patron. I cant express how disappoint I am. I understand you guys want/need/deserve more money, I personally think you guys along with Sex Curse studios, and Dr. Bones are severely overlooked in the 2dcg games. But this kind of model puts you literally on the level of Patreon EA. Please reconsider, even if you do end of expanding the wait from a week to a month or even a whole update behind the current one.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Its not really "holding the release back". Since we spent the week bughunting, adding minor missing features like dynamic rats\cockroaches. Even with closed testers we couldn't fish out all of the bugs preemtively. Perhaps its perfectionist in me and my programmer, but we wanted to close all gaping holes first before the release.
We plan to keep paywall for part of the content (which currently is less that a half) in the future, but we didn't have any intentional holding off plans. If you look at patreon page patreon build release date is also 1st December now, because we updated it with all the bugfixes and features we worked for public.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Is fair. I thought we were open enough about our intentions with eventually selling full game once its out(except patrons who get keys), which implies part of the content would be paywalled.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes