ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Thanks for feedback. Dungeon was an experiment to try bigger scope of questline, but it ended up overstretched, a gamedesign mistake clearly. We will be looking how to make whispering brook dungeon a bit better experience. i was considering making less combat encounters and a bit more dense writing content there. We'll see what we can do in the future.

DasKapitan

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I can see that... With that in mind I think it partially works and partially doesn't:

The size of the dungeon really gave me the sense of this being the player's first 'big' quest chain. The kid gloves have come off, and this is where things get serious... And it does have a few milestones that break up the combat grind; finding the key, finding the pastor, the pieces of the ritual and their related conversations, the layers of the dungeon, etc.

That said, those milestones just aren't as meaningful or rewarding as the ones you set up in the early game. Sex is one of your key milestone rewards, but there isn't any for HOURS. Even camping in the dungeon doesn't throw up an opportunity... After sex I think your next best milestone reward is interaction with your companions. Not necessarily sex, but the innuendo or flirting is conspicuously lacking suddenly, especially if Samara got her voyuer on back in town. Or some other conversations that aren't just one of the companions expositing on some question mark; insights into their likes and dislike, a promise to do a thing, or help with a thing, or buy a thing when possible. Basically grow their friendships... Next would be clues to the main story elements, hints about Sa'id's role, Lady Wolf's background, insights into places we've been, or will go to soon, that sort of thing... Finally rewards for thorough exploration. Parts of a codephrase for a secret hole-in-the-wall back in town for example, it could open a rare vendor or a hidden sex scene or even just a funny/interesting room with patron references. Or just something silly, like a Blackfur costume that would guarantee you win the bet, long after you've probably already won it. Basically things that link the dungeon back to the larger world and make it less self-contained.

On a related note, I'd consider doing something different with the tilesets... You go from a basement to a sewer system? Why does a little town like this have a sewer that's far larger than the town itself? It makes no sense to me, unless it's plot-relevant later? Personally I'd consideer reusing those assets for something entirely different back in Kaldea and making the lower level of the dungeon something more unique... For a cult hideout I guess something cave-like or hellish would be the standard trope, but I'd love to see you go wild with it. Something that gives me more of a "wow!" moment when I first go down below the basement layer.

Finally, there's just way to many level-ups involved. Like, 10x too much XP available. I'm still there on the sewer layer after playing for another 2 hours or so, and I've now maxed out both Samara and Hiho. There's nothing left to spend their skill points on (unless I'm missing something?). Whether you want to shrink down the levels, or thin out the mobs, or just lower their XP values is up to you. Maybe some combination?... It's just far too much power-creep (or at least it will be when some of these skills work as intended).

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Avaron1974

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
We arent using tilesets in their "proper" form, since all loctions are hand painted. So switching out decor is impossible\too time consuming. Idea behind dungeon is that its old temple cellar expanded into this dungeon network by the cultists. This cult being around for a while so living in a cave would suck longterm.
Numbers like XP and difficulty is yet to be balanced out due this being WIP. Currently focus is to make structural backbone of the game and keep it stable, add meat of the adventure and finish the core art assets. Balancing out combat and rewards is too early, or we risk stretching our efforts thin.

diablo1

Jan 29, 2019
I installed the game. I turned it on in ultra settings (I tried other settings too). I pressed the New Game, started it and stayed on the black screen. It doesn't open in any way. Please help. :(

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
I installed the game. I turned it on in ultra settings (I tried other settings too). I pressed the New Game, started it and stayed on the black screen. It doesn't open in any way. Please help. :(
Holy heck uhmm... it almost sounds like a driver issue. Do you hear the game music change?

What are your system specs?

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Lots of black screen problems were resolved into hotfix versions, you can try those. If doesnt help there always bugtracker in discord.

ArbuzBudesh

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2018
Havent played roundscape, but generally you're quite limited in amount of assholeness you can do. Just occasional sketchy decisions at best.

srfghjrjrj

Feb 18, 2020
Quick question, I'm stuck on "The Scarlett Tithe" mission, I can't find the merchant. Where is he located?

Joyvankek

Dec 9, 2019
Havent played roundscape, but generally you're quite limited in amount of assholeness you can do. Just occasional sketchy decisions at best.
One can hope our array of options will be extended in the future. I always love to make my characters into paragons of virute and selflessness.

cyberfreak

Jan 26, 2020
so for whatever reason the game runs on 1 fps, i just started and literally cannot progress. I've changed all the settings to the lowest it can go, and i dont know what to do anymore. Im on mac.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Oh my those two things are pretty serious.

ShuviBeta Have you tried a fresh install or unzip?

cyberfreak I'll need to know your system specs on your mac if you don't mind! Just to rule out hardware not being up to par.

Joyvankek Redic can be a pretty good dude with the current options. Part of the narrative, this is a really mild spoiler btw, is that he's trying to start over and not fuck things up this time. That's why I am trying to avoid turning him into a "murder machine badass."

Joyvankek

Dec 9, 2019
Joyvankek Redic can be a pretty good dude with the current options. Part of the narrative, this is a really mild spoiler btw, is that he's trying to start over and not fuck things up this time. That's why I am trying to avoid turning him into a "murder machine badass."
I got the general idea about the character from my playthru, I wonder if there will be some separate branches we will be able to push our knife eared protagonist on or maybe there will be just one "road" to follow when it comes to his character development.
Pretty good dude you say? Well I can go for that, for a change... I mean... Yeah... that's how I play my PCs alright...
From what I heard and got so far, I conclude we won't be having selfless grey/white knight, that in his quest to change his life will be pathologically altruistic. So, that's good.

Before I will fall my face first on my keyboard from exhaustion I will ask this.
Do you guys going for more choice orientated RPG in the future, or are you focused on more linear experience with illusory/cosmetic choices?

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
I got the general idea about the character from my playthru, I wonder if there will be some separate branches we will be able to push our knife eared protagonist on or maybe there will be just one "road" to follow when it comes to his character development.
Pretty good dude you say? Well I can go for that, for a change... I mean... Yeah... that's how I play my PCs alright...
From what I heard and got so far, I conclude we won't be having selfless grey/white knight, that in his quest to change his life will be pathologically altruistic. So, that's good.

Before I will fall my face first on my keyboard from exhaustion I will ask this.
Do you guys going for more choice orientated RPG in the future, or are you focused on more linear experience with illusory/cosmetic choices?

It's a bit of a spoiler but Redic... really wants to try again. Some shit happened in Einad (his homeland) and now he can never go back. Despite him longing for what he loved in Einad is gone now. On the thing of a single road, mainly you will be going down the same route but you can change how you get there. We will have an ending that will take in a lot of your choices actually, but the story... just for sheer logistics of being an indie studio, will end in the same place.

A credits and post credits roll (it might extent to be long enough to do post credits since we only have 8 people working on the fricken project hahaha) will have writing and artwork to show the impact of your choices.

But yeah he's trying to turn a new leaf. The shittier things you can do in the story, and there are some pretty shitty things... like in The Crimson Dervish' quest when you go to the light house you can lose -50 relationship with any companions you bring real fast haha. Those shitty things are sort of Redic's past coming through. We won't have him completely selfless or white knight though... grey... maybe, if you play him that way.

I think the weight of choices in PFF:A will surprise you. You can actually get companions killed, they can leave permanently, we'll have some different world states for things you've done. But for now, we can only focus on one linear story, which will be altered by your choices in the world.

In the future, we may attempt something broader and branching. I am currently actually... finished all of my writing tasks for this month about 14 days early. I am taking this time to actually add more impact to the choices currently in the game. This may not be in the next update, it might be in a mid-way update.

I am actually dabbling on getting back into drawing and I may do a side project CYOA blended with traditional RPG too. Probably going to do it on Godot whenever I get free time. It would be super duper choice based, but is just a free-time project. If it passes quality muster it could be put out under the TDD banner.

Gods, I am long-winded... TL:DR; maybe. We'll need more staff and resources to accomplish this.

ShuviBeta

Aug 21, 2019
the game worked before i dont know why is happening this now i installed it from the original page yesterday and nothing changed, i really wana play this again

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
the game worked before i dont know why is happening this now i installed it from the original page yesterday and nothing changed, i really wana play this again
Could you join the discord and chat with us in the bug finder? We'd like to help if we can. Our programmer will be on tomorrow again, it's late over where he is now so he'll probably be asleep soon.

Joyvankek

Dec 9, 2019
But yeah he's trying to turn a new leaf. The shittier things you can do in the story, and there are some pretty shitty things... like in The Crimson Dervish' quest when you go to the light house you can lose -50 relationship with any companions you bring real fast haha. Those shitty things are sort of Redic's past coming through. We won't have him completely selfless or white knight though... grey... maybe, if you play him that way.

I think the weight of choices in PFF:A will surprise you. You can actually get companions killed, they can leave permanently, we'll have some different world states for things you've done. But for now, we can only focus on one linear story, which will be altered by your choices in the world.
Noted, I will be careful not to end up in the situation where I will kill off most of my party.
Btw. That reminded me
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Of course these are just my thoughts, I get it's small team we talking about, so the load of work that it requires to make a quest needs to be tempered with reality. Many projects had fallen from being too ambitious.(RIP World of Darkness MMO, Hopefully VTM:B2 won't share your fater, nor will it be as buggy as the first game was.)

Reactions: Valaska
4.10 star(s) 35 Votes