Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
hmmmm.....well I tried for a while, but have to admit the UI is total crap for someone who DOESN'T HAVE A MANUAL!!

The concept is great, but most users don't have the patience to randomly figure this out. Perhaps a demo mode to train controls would be helpful.

Gave up after 20 minutes of flailing around. Too embarrassed to ask the kids for help :)
I'm sure lil timmy would be fine with helping out! ;). We'll have a tutorial but beyond the combat there's not really a UI to deal with yet and essentially you hover over the ability and a tool tip will show you what it does. You have 2 action points in combat, and as you move hexes will show X amount of bright white ones that means anything done in that range = 1 Action Point. If you go even one hex of movement into the dull grey then it will cost 2 and you won't have a point to attack.

Attacking is pretty simple, pick one of the abilities in the bottom left, click on where you want to hit the enemy. Arm to hit arms, torso, etc. Other than that not much to it! We'll have a tutorial eventually which will most likely come with a CG etc to start the game. I can work on a guide in the meantime and I'll post that up when I am done writing a couple other projects I am working on the side.

Well, just look at this...

I'm in love with the art and the gameplay looks awesome too!
I'm excited for the next updates! :eazyHype:
Awesome! Thanks a ton it means a lot. I'm most looking forward to really getting into the narrative and the story at the moment, but we still have to do a lot of the framework for the game and building out Kaldea... Oh! And there'll be the Ogre companion Osh'To as well.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
PublicBuild 2.png

We just put out our second public build if you guys and gals are interested in that! We do very much intend to support both sides of the community so there are all but two scenes in this build. Pick it up here;

I will be assembling a picture guide for our combat, and you can see some of our easter egg plans upcoming for the game!

I will be assembling a picture guide for our combat, and you can see some of our easter egg plans upcoming for the game! Also, the Public build includes many Quality-Of-Life changes to Samara's writing! She flows far better now and will be much more consistent for those that noticed a disconnect between mine and SomeKindofWizards writing styles, which is partly my bad! I never actually had a chance to read her lewd scene's writing.

Last edited:

zazzaro

Jun 5, 2017
Tha amount of text is a little annoying, but I've got to say that the world is super interesting and the art might just be my favorite with Oni's.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Tha amount of text is a little annoying, but I've got to say that the world is super interesting and the art might just be my favorite with Oni's.
That's fair, but we're going for a Baldurs Gate like experience so... The text will be heavy! Introduction messages will always be the longest to try and set the mood and setting of the character. We're going for an actual old fashion RPG experience with lewd content attached.

EDIT: But keep in mind we are still toying and trying to figure out ways to break our text up to be easier and flow better. Divinity Original Sin 2 also follows the same text box format and we are happy in general with it but the format really needs to be addressed. Changing the colour for narrative text, adding some sort of border around the player choices and just general UI changes we'd like to make.

In other news;

tumblr_inline_p6xesrPhaq1rifkeq_1280.png

Nailah vs Terri wrapped up! Nailah was the clear winner this time around, she was almost in the last update too but lost out by about three votes. This time we are mixing it up a bit, we in the dev's couldn't honestly decide which of these foreplays were our favourite so right now if you're a patron you get to vote and for the first time affect the scene you'll get to see in the game.

foreplay.jpg

Thigh job was my favourite due to the transition in the scene that will come up. But can't deny Nailah's freaky feets are interesting!

Last edited:

grapedog

Feb 24, 2018
so, for scenes I've found, the Elf in the Inn, the cook in the Inn(is there more than 1 scene with her?), the dragon lady who challenges you to a hunting contest, the snake lady looking for the amulet, the fox girl in the whorehouse... are there any i've missed?

i love the art, love the work put into it.

maybe i missed it, but it seemed like there was no primer on combat. Took me a little bit to figure out how the armor/health for each location worked... and i still don't understand the diminishing returns, like after armor and health for a location are gone.

will there be new equipment, skills, stats in the future? i didn't notice stats anywhere, or exp, or leveling of any sort. or will levels happen after events? I personally like levels given at moments(like progressing enough in the story), instead of an xp grind, but that is just me.

keep up the great work, i really am enjoying i.

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
so, for scenes I've found, the Elf in the Inn, the cook in the Inn(is there more than 1 scene with her?), the dragon lady who challenges you to a hunting contest, the snake lady looking for the amulet, the fox girl in the whorehouse... are there any i've missed?

i love the art, love the work put into it.

maybe i missed it, but it seemed like there was no primer on combat. Took me a little bit to figure out how the armor/health for each location worked... and i still don't understand the diminishing returns, like after armor and health for a location are gone.

will there be new equipment, skills, stats in the future? i didn't notice stats anywhere, or exp, or leveling of any sort. or will levels happen after events? I personally like levels given at moments(like progressing enough in the story), instead of an xp grind, but that is just me.

keep up the great work, i really am enjoying i.
Yarp like a carp playing a harp! Those are our current included scenes and soon Nailah will be added in the next Patron build. There are 3 scenes with Katie, who is the girl in the Velvet Oasis... Or, ah, whorehouse xD. Verona has the one scene so far... Spoiler alert! Though Redic might be biting off more than he can chew with this one xD.

Thanks! We'll slowly polish the older scenes too but those are going to take a long time.

There is absolutely zero primer for combat and I'll make a guide for it, a visual one. I'll post it directly here too so you guys have access to it! The game isn't actually following the story yet and when we begin doing the actual story there will be a prologue with the introduction to combat. Any questions about it feel free to ask here or popup on our discord. But a quick rundown;

• Armorkeeps a body part from being maimed.
  • Maiming severely affects your ability to fight.
  • Maimed legs will cut movement, arms attack, torso is a massive bleed.
  • You fall unconcious/die when you get too many bleeding stacks, bandages!
Aha! If you have Patron Build 3 you can actually see a small spoiler that yes, we'll have an equipment and even appearance option. The companions will have alternative outfits and there will be a light equipment and inventory system as well. I want to aim it towards sidegrades but it might be vertical progression. We'll see. The system of levels after events is honestly the best system out there for this kind of game unless we can figure out a scaling mechanic for enemies without making levels feel trivial. Shadow Run did it beautifully, but unlike ShadowRun we'll actually have an ability tree you can explore! A rundown;

Redic, will be a versatile character you can build into whatever archetype you want him to fill.
Samara, will be a mobility-centric DPS character. She can put enemies down very well while being fast.
Hiho, will be a utility fighter who can actually grab, constrict, assist etc. She won't be good at bleeding but has blunt.
Osh'to, will be a massive hulking wall of death-dealing muscle. She will crush men's heads like sparrow eggs.
????, will do ??? and ???? to ???? while ????'ing the fuck out of ????'s.
????, ?????????????????????????????.

As always thanks!

Are the sex scenes animated?
As Zazzoro said, yeah they are animated. We actually are hand drawing and then rigging out models, so we will be polishing it as Arbuz gets more and more familiar with animating. this is actually one of his earliest attempts at animating so the process will get refined and polishing will happen as it goes.

You likely know the game Breeding Season, think of it as a much better-drawn version of that using the same animation techniques. Here's a small pic of a scene;

tumblr_inline_p3fm2fkl4J1rifkeq_1280.gif

Then Arbuz rigs and animates the body parts that need to move about.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
The Snake girl is waifu material by the way... although she shouldn't have a vagina.
Haha I've actually done some biology crafting for Lizard Folk in general. They actually give egg birth which incubates the babies out of the body in a clutch of a few eggs. The eggs give birth to fairly self-sufficient offspring which can either be weened or left to their own devices. Weening obviously gives a massive advantage to their growth rate and such. This explains their boobs but...

Weeeell, vagina over cloaca was more a stylistic choice by Arbuz and I work in that framework haha. I can't say I disagree though. So Hiho has two holes, her vagina there and waaaay down the tail is her, well... ya know. On the underside of her tail between two of the horizontal scales. It'll be about a meter or so from the tip maybe, haven't exactly placed out where her anatomy runs fully just yet but it will terminate much further down on the tail so solids will digest a proper amount of time. A bladder further up the digestive tract allows her t- oh jeez I'm starting to show my biology side haha.

I won't bore you with details but details are part of why I'm on this project xD.

zazzaro

Jun 5, 2017
Haha I've actually done some biology crafting for Lizard Folk in general. They actually give egg birth which incubates the babies out of the body in a clutch of a few eggs. The eggs give birth to fairly self-sufficient offspring which can either be weened or left to their own devices. Weening obviously gives a massive advantage to their growth rate and such. This explains their boobs but...

Weeeell, vagina over cloaca was more a stylistic choice by Arbuz and I work in that framework haha. I can't say I disagree though. So Hiho has two holes, her vagina there and waaaay down the tail is her, well... ya know. On the underside of her tail between two of the horizontal scales. It'll be about a meter or so from the tip maybe, haven't exactly placed out where her anatomy runs fully just yet but it will terminate much further down on the tail so solids will digest a proper amount of time. A bladder further up the digestive tract allows her t- oh jeez I'm starting to show my biology side haha.

I won't bore you with details but details are part of why I'm on this project XD.
Well that was... unexpected on this site.

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
PatreonBuild4.png

Our 4th Patreon Build is live! This comes with several content additions and QOL changes.

NPCs & Writing:
Nailah:
  • Her lewd encounter is added, and serves as an experiment in multiple ending CGs!
  • Her first pass dialogue has been implemented, there will be a lot more to come with the Jackal girl.
Dee:
  • Our first Patreon Knight pledge thanks to 'LegoJohn!"
Background NPCs:
  • Slave Master Kalid
  • Slaver Guard
  • Pesh the produce merchant
  • Quips from Guards
  • Many more to come.
Animated Sprites:
  • Hiho's tail is more responsive with accurate shadows
  • Dee front&back animated sprite
  • Vaehill front&back animated sprite (you can also push her to make her walk)
  • Rodwin Tillbert animated sprite
  • City Guard front&back animated sprite
  • Slave girls
  • The main characters now have back facing sprites!
Back End & Features
  • WebGL Build
  • Interact Key (E to interact with nearest NPC/Object)
  • Custom character name
  • Difficulty Settings
  • Ironman Perma Death
Dialogue Editor
  • ALT+E allows you to bring the games dialogue editor up!
  • Context Menu
  • Portrait Builder
  • Cross Dialogue References
  • Quest Objectives
This is an extremely powerful tool which may allow people to make their own mods and content for Avarice post launch. We will be exploring the possibility of more tools and assets.

UI
  • New main menu
  • Framework for the HUD ((quests, money, inventory, bestiary, abilities) this is extremely WIP)

Our studio has also finalized our public face, allow me to show you all the Team Dead Deer logo! It may not seem like the biggest deal but this really is part of legitimatizing and making our team a formal entity.

TeamDeadDeer.png

As always, we'll be bringing much more for you all to see in the future. The next one should have a heaping pile more of dialogue for our NPC's, and another dialogue quality pass on much of our first bits of writing, possibly the entire wirting will get a dialogue sweep soon.

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes