4.30 star(s) 124 Votes
May 9, 2021
This chapter is mostly dialogues, and even Tarantino, that is a genius writing dialogues, don´t make his movies only with dialogues. It´s the first time playing this game that I wanted to say to the characters "Stop blabbering and get to the point already!", and even skipped scenes (the explanations of Legacy, such an unpleasant character...).

There is no need in "catching breath" in the script of a game. At least, not a complete update of it. Things should happen, plot should advance. If not, it´s boring. For example, where is the need of seeing the characters talking about the best way of burning the body of the mutant, if they should camp where they are or not, or things like that? I know that that kind of conversations would exist in real life, but in real life they would stop to pee from time to time, and you don´t show that. You should cut the uninteresting parts of the script if are not necessary for the plot. I think this update could have been 2/3 shorted, and merged with the following update.
Also, I agree to some extent with this critique. I find myself occasionally asking if dialogue could not have been written differently, and certain story content spread out into multiple scenes instead of packaged into one and the same. Sometimes it's hard to say what's at stake in a scene, which makes it feel more like a transition of less than obvious purpose than a scene. Some things, like those mentioned in the quoted post, don't serve an clear purpose.

I love the story of the game. I'd love to see more focus on action and scenes that really push the story forward in future updates.

Last edited:

Gorse

GFX Designer
Aug 16, 2020
Please consider fixing the in-game text by giving it black borders. Sometimes it's really hard to see the dialogue due to white text on bright backgrounds.
Just have a look at the ingame "preferences" page - your suggestion is already available as an option ... as well as different text colours and text backgrounds ;).

This chapter is mostly dialogues, and even Tarantino, that is a genius writing dialogues, don´t make his movies only with dialogues. It´s the first time playing this game that I wanted to say to the characters "Stop blabbering and get to the point already!", and even skipped scenes (the explanations of Legacy, such an unpleasant character...).

There is no need in "catching breath" in the script of a game. At least, not a complete update of it. Things should happen, plot should advance. If not, it´s boring. For example, where is the need of seeing the characters talking about the best way of burning the body of the mutant, if they should camp where they are or not, or things like that? I know that that kind of conversations would exist in real life, but in real life they would stop to pee from time to time, and you don´t show that. You should cut the uninteresting parts of the script if are not necessary for the plot. I think this update could have been 2/3 shorted, and merged with the following update.
I love the story of the game. I'd love to see more focus on action and scenes that really push the story forward in future updates.
So far I'm able to understand and guess in which direction the story may go, I like it as well. The wholesome parts even more than the "Legacy" parts (wherever that may lead to in the future). While I appreciate some slow burn build-up of relationship and some "peaceful" moments within the plot, I have to agree with you both, Tanca2 and zbamsez.
Even planned as a long story with genuine foundations of the plot in no less than 5 chapters already, the whole pace of the story (and the intended lewds) need to get more action, acceleration and events instead of more wordy dialogues that may only add to some realism and characterisation, but are rather a hindrance of pushing the whole thing forward.

After chapter 6 I still feel "only" introduced to an extended introduction/prologue of a story which hasn't really unfold yet. :unsure:
And for the lewds: so nice it may be to have "hardcore handholding", boobie play and bathing stuff and therefore these sweet slow burn moments with Maria... there has to happen something more eventually.
Otherwise we are going to need patience until approx. chapter 15 will be released... and that isn't in the near future.

So please, dear dev Pandaman: speed uppa that thang (as James Brown may have commented)! :sneaky:
Keep the goods you've created so far, but start drivin' it further... without too many wordy dialogues, discussions and additional deep foundations in monologues or narratives. Your story just needs a jump start...
Hope, chapter 7 is going to be exactly that!

All the best, thanks for your fine work so far and stay healthy as I will stay tuned for the next update(s).

Soundgfx

May 4, 2020
Great update, can't get enough of maria but this chapter seemed more like an interlude than a full chapter.

Pandaman Games

Developer of Price of Power
Game Developer
Mar 10, 2018
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, Ch 6 is definitely closer to an interlude/transition when compared to what happens in the surrounding chapters. I'll try to pace things a little better in the future, but I stand by the fact that this chapter needed to feel slower/less plot progressive. After Chapter 5, it'd be crazy if everyone went back to normal - they need some time to come to grips with everything. If it feels like a bit of a holding pattern/catching your breath, then it should. I can't get into why until Chapter 7 comes out, but it's part of the master plan. :) I've asked people to trust me before and I think it's worked out, so you'll just have to trust that Chapters 7-10 (which will have a lot of action and will kick off a lot of major plot points) wouldn't work the same way without the tension and build-up from Chapter 6. Chapter 7 (without spoiling too much) has two major plot points/reveals that just wouldn't hit the same way without Chapter 6 being the way it is. So, in short, hold the faith and trust that it's part of the plan. :)

Gorse

GFX Designer
Aug 16, 2020
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, Ch 6 is definitely closer to an interlude/transition when compared to what happens in the surrounding chapters. I'll try to pace things a little better in the future, but I stand by the fact that this chapter needed to feel slower/less plot progressive. After Chapter 5, it'd be crazy if everyone went back to normal - they need some time to come to grips with everything. If it feels like a bit of a holding pattern/catching your breath, then it should. I can't get into why until Chapter 7 comes out, but it's part of the master plan. :) I've asked people to trust me before and I think it's worked out, so you'll just have to trust that Chapters 7-10 (which will have a lot of action and will kick off a lot of major plot points) wouldn't work the same way without the tension and build-up from Chapter 6. Chapter 7 (without spoiling too much) has two major plot points/reveals that just wouldn't hit the same way without Chapter 6 being the way it is. So, in short, hold the faith and trust that it's part of the plan. :)
Thank you for that statement.

Indeed you're absolutely right: after Chapter 5 there had to be a moment of catching breath logically and emotionally for sure.
Every other continuation of the plot would have been more than weird, almost abstruse.
You have your master plan in mind (and supposably in script as well) and I'm not fully able to measure its direction and future events. So how could I have any doubts that it will make sense eventually and maybe even knocks my socks off positively :geek:.

So I trust you as well as your efforts in quickening the pace, straightening the plot and revealing some more (wholesome) moments leading into lewd scenes. :cool:
Cause any critical comments from my side also show that I care... and wish you great success!

Deleted member 2412505

May 31, 2020
In Panda we trust.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I didn't have much problems (the Legacy parts are a bit wordy, but not a big problem). I think it only feels so actionless if you consider ch6 standalone. When this chapter is in the middle of the game and you play it from start to finish I don't think anyone would notice it that much to be honest.

Reactions: Real Kreten

underoath27

Nov 22, 2020
Damn, another good update! Yes, I really liked it. This one is masterpiece! One of my favorite games. Looking forward to see what Legacy and Emilia is hiding. I believe Emillia isn't trying to harm MC and Maria, and Legacy, well, I'm not sure about it... Let's see what Pandaman Games had to show!

d_pedestrian

Engaged Member
Jul 18, 2020
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/ch6.rpy", line 1655, in <module>
NameError: name 'menu_set' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "ch6.rpyc", line 1653, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1683, in execute
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 1002, in menu
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2266, in py_eval
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2259, in py_eval_bytecode
Got this error during the scene when legacy takes MC to the sky after burning the body.

Pandaman Games

Game Developer
Mar 10, 2018
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "ch6.rpyc", line 1653, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1683, in execute
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 1002, in menu
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2266, in py_eval
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2259, in py_eval_bytecode
Got this error during the scene when legacy takes MC to the sky after burning the body.
Interesting, I'll look into that...

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
I know some folks didnt like the newest release thinking it was slow/boring but I disagree, I quite enjoyed it. Plot is great and the world building is as well, always nice to see more of it to set up things later on. Kind of unavoidable in story telling.

Cant wait for the next update.:cool:

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
Pandaman Games

Hi, spotted this right at the start, previous screens are displaying the name correctly.
This is the first time trying your VN so not using a previous save or install or anything.

View attachment 1409275

It shows that for the next 3 sets of dialogue then back to normal.
Also the music stops while that error is displayed.

If its just me seeing this then I'll redownload and try again.
it will start making sense later

• Wow
Reactions: dumbass55

Raife

May 16, 2018
Chapter 7 (without spoiling too much) has two major plot points/reveals that just wouldn't hit the same way without Chapter 6 being the way it is. So, in short, hold the faith and trust that it's part of the plan. :)
I believe you, Panda -- and that seems like a good decision. There are two (or perhaps three) immediate questions that require reveals, in addition to several longer term mysteries. The two immediate questions are (1) what is Emilia holding back and why, and (2) how ambiguous/hostile/unreliable is Legacy. My instinct is to suspect that Emilia is acting in good faith and that Legacy is not... but we'll see! I love the way you've set all of this up.

The biggest long-term mystery concerns the question/dilemma embedded in your title: _The Price of Power_. I found it suggestive that Legacy could (supposedly) provide you with two long-term physical and mental augments without doing long term damage... but that the third might be more problematic. It might, in other words, carry a 'price.' Well played, if that's a breadcrumb!

Jul 4, 2018
Im close to the beginning right where they find the ruins in Southlands and had to stop because after seeing the narrator thing is breaking into your head and its initals are BnE I had a good laugh.

Pandaman Games

Game Developer
Mar 10, 2018
I believe you, Panda -- and that seems like a good decision. There are two (or perhaps three) immediate questions that require reveals, in addition to several longer term mysteries. The two immediate questions are (1) what is Emilia holding back and why, and (2) how ambiguous/hostile/unreliable is Legacy. My instinct is to suspect that Emilia is acting in good faith and that Legacy is not... but we'll see! I love the way you've set all of this up.

The biggest long-term mystery concerns the question/dilemma embedded in your title: _The Price of Power_. I found it suggestive that Legacy could (supposedly) provide you with two long-term physical and mental augments without doing long term damage... but that the third might be more problematic. It might, in other words, carry a 'price.' Well played, if that's a breadcrumb!
Are you accusing me of leaving little breadcrumbs and teasers about what's coming in the future? That doesn't sound like me at all! :p

Reactions: CrazyRabbit

Alig8r

Nov 9, 2018
I've only started playing but wow! Maria is extremely beautiful and I like their chemistry so much! Wouldn't mind playing the Maria only route and I'm kind of hoping things continue developing very slowly.

4.30 star(s) 124 Votes