Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
I tried this game a few years ago while it was in very early development and I was mostly confused. The tutorial was like: "Here you go. Now you can do everything. Goodbye." I tried to go to the nearest castle and they were like "fuck you". Then I was like "okay, I guess I try another castle, maybe they'll be more friendly." Everyone flipped the finger and I gave up on the game.

I'm now giving this a more serious try and I've come to like the game. I think, I'll probably soon give my full support to this game. A lot of love and attention to detail has gone into this weird little gem and it really feels like a game. The music is brilliant.

A bit of an annoying bug, is that I think the custom amount of minutes on the "day timer" reset to 8 minutes.
*I was wrong, there was just a lot changes in weather, and the dawning changes quickly. I slept again and timed the next day as an experiment. The day didn't end in 8 mins. Sorry for the confusion.
When I used the save from the 0.16.2 version on the 0.16.3 version. 8 minutes is way too short and the world just burns down before you even get to the "fire"... sometimes the word fire is not that metaphorical. This is even more chaotic for a new player. 24 mins allows you to at least explore a dungeon a bit before everyone have declared war on each other and half the princesses are enslaved or dead (exaggerating a bit). I suggest going full 99 mins. The phase of the day changes when you exit an area anyways, so the day still passes by relatively quickly.

I think, the game would be much better off, if the tutorial also had a little quest in the start, that raised the affection of the human princess to 3. Showing (and telling) the player, this is what you need for an audience with a princess. Do a little quest for a human or two and then have sex with one of them (showing this also raises affection) to gain those 3 points. This would of course play too much of a favorite and unknowingly lock many new players on her path. So maybe the main hero could insult her or have an accident occour that makes her angry and you loose those 3 affection points in the end of the tutorial.

How do I get the attention of the 2nd. dragon princess? I've already raised my stats to 5 in everything except intelligence and wandered around for a day. Does she spawn on a random day or just a random time?

Edorath

Jul 14, 2017
Welp, got bad news. Don't get the dragon egg from the one desert princess event lads, after it hatches it crashes your save with no survivors.

Bertus8

Apr 26, 2018
I think, the game would be much better off, if the tutorial also had a little quest in the start, that raised the affection of the human princess to 3. Showing (and telling) the player, this is what you need for an audience with a princess. Do a little quest for a human or two and then have sex with one of them (showing this also raises affection) to gain those 3 points. This would of course play too much of a favorite and unknowingly lock many new players on her path. So maybe the main hero could insult her or have an accident occour that makes her angry and you loose those 3 affection points in the end of the tutorial.
That's what Kobold is for. Kobold is your tutorial and also once there was a sign which had game mechanics explained butit has been replaced by "how to move around".

Also affection increases each time you visit a princess and do certain things, so starting with human at 3 it's a HUGE advantage.

To meet a princess you first have to raise the reight affinity and then you can meet the princess. To do soyou have to fight off bandits, help during war or doing Knight's Inc. Quests when you unlock them

PS: If i recall right there is a starting trait that boost your affinity by 1 towards certain races or affection to 1 toward princesses

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
*I meant reign affinity, in what I wrote before.*

What I wrote was also a solution, to the problem you highlighted.
"So maybe the main hero could insult her or have an accident occour that makes her angry and you loose those 3 affection points in the end of the tutorial."

Yeah, when you KNOW, that is what you need it's "easy". When starting a new game it's really confusing, you are not told any of these things, on the contrary you are TOLD to go to these castles... where they tell you to go away. I'm not saying it's a bad game, as I indicated several times, I like the game. The start is just hell'ova confusing.

Soul master is still my prefered starting trait (so I don't have to kill a princess). For reign affinity, I just shack the necromanced things, that have been shaped changed in the slime goo pearl thing. For around 5k I get full reign affinity per character, with the family jewel accesory that investment is quickly regained.

Bertus8

Apr 26, 2018
Is a thing that i also said earlier. Newcomers most of the time have no idea about what to do when they exit Kobold Caves, and then are forced to ask on forums which then ruins a part of the starting thing. I don't know why they removed the signs which explained stuff but they can just add an npc into the tavern, like a guild assistant or a veteran adventurer where you can go and you can ask him the basics, like what do, how to increase reign affinity without spoiling too much.

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
Is a thing that i also said earlier. Newcomers most of the time have no idea about what to do at start then areforced to ask on forums which then ruins a part of the starting thing. I don't know why they removed the signs which explained stuff but they can just add an npc into the tavern, like a guild assistant or a veteran adventurer where you can go and you can ask him the basics, like what do, how to increase reign affinity without spoiling too much.
Wouldn't it be better to show the player, instead of presenting them with more walls of text?
*A scripted event with a human being attacked by bandits. You win and learn you can earn (0.5) reign affinity this way.
*You meet someone close the human princess (probably not starchy) and get a little quest from them. They tell you to go to the Tavern for more quests. You earned some affinity for doing something (albeit indirectly) for a princess and learned you can gain reign affinity (2.0 points, maybe it's a two part quest) this way. You also learn she will not see you as you are not yet a hero of the people or whatever you want it to be called.
*You meet a human who has taken a liking to you (for clearing that quest), she wants to have sex and you accept (she tells all her friends how great you were). You learn you can gain reign affinity (0.5) this way.
*You now have enough for an audience with the princess. You do something very stupid and loose those 3 points.

All of that would take the player what? 2–3 minutes max and would really help the player understand and get a feel for the game, without it becoming like "homework"/"work".

Jakthorne

May 16, 2017
Has anyone else been able to get her? I got her from the stone at Slime P's place but IDK if you can get her by breeding, if so how?

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone else been able to get her? I got her from the stone at Slime P's place but IDK if you can get her by breeding, if so how?
Seems like a variation of a dragon. Probably through a lot of selective breeding. What is you listed as being?

Bertus8

Apr 26, 2018
Wouldn't it be better
I think is because as i said, they want Kobold to be your tutorial.
You get a lot of talk when you exit outside the cave and then you can finally get off all that bla bla bla and do what you want without too much railroading. My suggestion was "there is an NPC here" but you aren't forced to immediately talk to him, which is good ebcause maybe you just wander around then return and talk to him later or at any time you want.
Towerfag is doing a sort of free-to-roam that's why giving too many script events at the beginning isn't a great idea (and there already are some)

Jakthorne

May 16, 2017
Seems like a variation of a dragon. Probably through a lot of selective breeding. What is you listed as being?
Yeah its a dragon but I can't for the life of me get it. None of the offspring turn out right. They always have legs. Its like a dragon/lamia combo but I've tried that too.

Maybe it needs Dragon P 2 but I can't even start her chain.

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
I think is because as i said, they want Kobold to be your tutorial.
You get a lot of talk when you exit outside the cave and then you can finally get off all that bla bla bla and do what you want without too much railroading. My suggestion was "there is an NPC here" but you aren't forced to immediately talk to him, which is good ebcause maybe you just wander around then return and talk to him later or at any time you want.
Towerfag is doing a sort of free-to-roam that's why giving too many script events at the beginning isn't a great idea (and there already are some)
... but she is not. Some of the most important features are not explained or shown. I didn't know what I was doing wrong (when I first played), the guild quests were of no use (in the start). I was told I should seek the princesses, but I was kicked out of all the castles. Having to "study up" on the game, before you even play it is not good. Please tell my how it can't be free–to–roam, which you seem to suggest, with that little tutorial added in the game? Have it also be part of a book in the tavern, if you need a relook on the subject. Make the tutorial quest optional, so you can skip things, if you already know.*

*if you want this skipping to make lore sense. Have the human NPC saved from the bandit also be a bad person and the reason you loose those 3 points with the princess. The question of skipping the tutorial or not could have the hero say "I know what you are up to (or whatever)" when skipping the tutorial. You are not creditated (reign points) for saving him and the game continues normally.

oliverthebad

Mar 7, 2018
I have one of the dragon egg progeny unable to swap back in. This happened after new egg in party and forced me to deposit a party member.

Glad this game is making progress again; was a patreon backer before the chaos.

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
I have one of the dragon egg progeny unable to swap back in. This happened after new egg in party and forced me to deposit a party member.

Glad this game is making progress again; was a patreon backer before the chaos.
Was this a time, when you were oliverthegood?
Maybe you can go to an early save and deposit a party member until the egg hatches (again).

Bertus8

Apr 26, 2018
... but she is not. Some of the most important features are not explained or shown.
I never said is a flawless concept, but we are both agreeing with the same things don't worry. the problem is that people already pointed out certain flaws which weren't really addressed and that's up to Towerfag & Co. do fix them.

Bertus8

Apr 26, 2018
These damned kids and their need for tutorials. Back in my day we explored and learned how to do things through trial and error!
Yes and no.
Super Mario doesn't need a tutorial but usually rpgs and rts always have one or at least some sort of tutorial or explanation.
For example NES Zelda had no tutorial whatsoever because there where few things to consider but some other games had, like Illusion of Gaia on SNES (when you meet Gaia)

Reactions: Hajtand

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
* "They didn't explain the need for reign points and how to get those; in order to get affection points with the princess, so you can woo her, and de–escalate a world conflict."

"These damned kids and their need for tutorials. Back in my day we explored and learned how to do things through trial and error!"

3.50 star(s) 55 Votes