Unreal Engine Onhold Project Elimination: The Forbidden Planet [Test version v0.55] [MATEYDEV]

3.70 star(s) 11 Votes
Feb 11, 2020
Yes, like Frid said, it was a collective decision after the HDD failure erased all his project data. If you want to have a say in how things go, become a patreon.

• Angry
Reactions: johnyakuza1

HarukaOzawa

Sep 7, 2019
yo found this neat tools
it can unlock the command console, and built-in free camera (not really works for this exact game, but there's alternative below)

tested commands for this game:

enablecheats 1 (so the other commands work)
Fov 15 (default 50)
r.screenpercentage 120 (default 100)
pause (freeze the game)
nextviewmode (change the render / lightning)
toggledebugcamera (free camera mode that actually works)
teleport (use this while in free camera mode and you can teleport anywhere in the map, can be used to skip to boss room)

SerpentWave

Aug 1, 2017
yo found this neat tools
it can unlock the command console, and built-in free camera (not really works for this exact game, but there's alternative below)

tested commands for this game:

enablecheats 1 (so the other commands work)
Fov 15 (default 50)
r.screenpercentage 120 (default 100)
pause (freeze the game)
nextviewmode (change the render / lightning)
toggledebugcamera (free camera mode that actually works)
teleport (use this while in free camera mode and you can teleport anywhere in the map, can be used to skip to boss room)
Thanks for this!

LickNipMcSkip

Aug 5, 2017
how is it on hold when the entire game was lost due to hard drive failure?
Far as I understand it, the dev currently has plans to go back and revisit his previous games after this one is done. My absolute lack of development understanding assumes this will be from scratch

Reactions: Alket

MoreNow

Nov 25, 2017
You know what, that extermination thing had a demo even before this coming one.

It was almost impossible to get, and I think this coming next demo build would be, too.

That DEV mentioned free version later at that time, but that didn't came out ever.
if you are in the discord, you can read lots and lots of ideas and story and concepts from the dev.

now how about finishing an adult game? :rolleyes:

Yuuuuuri

Jan 5, 2018
I had an SSD fail and it killed all the data with no chance of recovery.
and this is why you SHOULD have 2 backup drives
also "ssds are better than hdds nowdays because they never fail like hdds"
i have been using HDDs for storage for over 10 years and they never broke but i will consider switching to Nvme fully soon

Alket

Game Developer
Nov 15, 2017
and this is why you SHOULD have 2 backup drives
also "ssds are better than hdds nowdays because they never fail like hdds"
i have been using HDDs for storage for over 10 years and they never broke but i will consider switching to Nvme fully soon
He has now, alongside with cloud backup and his own sort of versioning...somethings u gotta learn the hard way sadly...

Reactions: tomwilliams9911

Alket

Game Developer
Nov 15, 2017
That's unfortunate, making an open world 3d unreal engine game as a solo dev just isn't reasonable. Looks like a mostly empty asset flip and probably won't end up being much more than that.
I would like you to try it: all assets are made by the dev (beside some megascan for general environment), including animations and character design. If you want to know more I'd suggest to join the discord server and ask your questions there...also while "open world" the map is not unreasonably big and the dev has created a bunch of tools that allow him to deploy assets fast and to build the world in a semi-procedural way, saving a lot of time.

smithsmithsmith

Aug 16, 2018
I would like you to try it: all assets are made by the dev (beside some megascan for general environment), including animations and character design. If you want to know more I'd suggest to join the discord server and ask your questions there...also while "open world" the map is not unreasonably big and the dev has created a bunch of tools that allow him to deploy assets fast and to build the world in a semi-procedural way, saving a lot of time.
I'll pass, might bookmark it and tag it to be checked five years from now. I've yet to see a similar project with single dev/small team make any significant progress, mostly they end up abandoned after a year or two once they realise they can't possibly deliver what they wanted to or they just grind out new models as an overly bulky animation viewer like Wild Life. Go check the credits list and development time for any serious open world game, that should give you a better grasp of what the issue is.

Alket

Game Developer
Nov 15, 2017
I'll pass, might bookmark it and tag it to be checked five years from now. I've yet to see a similar project with single dev/small team make any significant progress, mostly they end up abandoned after a year or two once they realise they can't possibly deliver what they wanted to or they just grind out new models as an overly bulky animation viewer like Wild Life. Go check the credits list and development time for any serious open world game, that should give you a better grasp of what the issue is.
Well, I hope this one will surprise you then, cheers...

Reactions: tomwilliams9911

johnyakuza1

Jun 5, 2022
This game looks blurry in Fullscreen but sharp and crisp when windowed. Can anything be done about it?

It's a shame this is on hold until that open world game is finished... which will be probably 2030.

Last edited:
3.70 star(s) 11 Votes