asdf9000

Dec 2, 2019
This is one of those project where you know that if you stop the funding it ceases existing, its not like No Mans Sky that was a horrible disaster but the devs still work on it and it became an actual playable and fun game but its like those dying restaurants shown in Gordon Ramsey's show where you just know it wont end well even if he performs miracles.

At the point if he actually i mean ACTUALLY works on this mess, its probably better to scrap the entire thing and remake it from near scratch or atleast put in the effort to remake this chaos. The guy who makes that pony game similar to rack right now is remaking the baselines of his game so, coding, rearranging, fixing bugs and all that jazz and hes too alone as far as im aware. Sure the game is not the same challange (3d vs 2d) but still i can see effort done unlike here.
This reminds me of Lok: Rebirth

hiddenlad6969

Sep 15, 2021
This is one of those project where you know that if you stop the funding it ceases existing, its not like No Mans Sky that was a horrible disaster but the devs still work on it and it became an actual playable and fun game but its like those dying restaurants shown in Gordon Ramsey's show where you just know it wont end well even if he performs miracles.

At the point if he actually i mean ACTUALLY works on this mess, its probably better to scrap the entire thing and remake it from near scratch or atleast put in the effort to remake this chaos. The guy who makes that pony game similar to rack right now is remaking the baselines of his game so, coding, rearranging, fixing bugs and all that jazz and hes too alone as far as im aware. Sure the game is not the same challange (3d vs 2d) but still i can see effort done unlike here.
does that pony game have a name? i dont think ive seen it on here

Jul 19, 2020
imposible to play on windosws 10
its like: you just inserted the Dongylongythingy, and characters go Blargsblagadiblaga, ...now you are on another dimension.
i didnt saw the space simulator tag XD

PronFox

Mar 7, 2019
Then again, I've come to the understanding that games can't be coded by one person anymore, especially something as complex as this. Just too much code to go through and debug. Too many moving parts, as it were.

Reactions: prndev

SugarDuckling

Nov 9, 2020
Then again, I've come to the understanding that games can't be coded by one person anymore, especially something as complex as this. Just too much code to go through and debug. Too many moving parts, as it were.
That's untrue. As far as handling the complexity of a project is concerned, adding more programmers will not reduce it, only add more as there's more room for miscommunication, confusion and general fuck ups. A project maintained by a single competent developer is far less likely to be mishandled than one maintained by several.

As the saying goes - "Too many cooks spoil the soup".

It's like having more artists work on a single painting. Having more can complete it quicker, yes, but it won't necessarily make it any better, since styles will clash and the overarching design may be compromised in the process.

So how do big enterprises on big projects handle it? If they're competent, they'll employ coding practices that have been developed and refined over the decades, that, when followed, will prevent these kinds of problems from emerging in the first place. An incompetent developer will not employ such practices, and thus their projects will, inevitably, decay. It happens all the time, and it isn't from the lack of workers, just the lack of competence and experience. (As a matter of fact, having more developers could actually have accelerated the decay.)

From having glimpsed some of the codebase (from his streams), I can tell you the way R2CK is structured isn't healthy. Not for the project nor the developer. It doesn't matter how good of a programmer you are, but you can't have the majority of work contained in a single file called "Game.cs" with 20k lines of code and where any change may break it. That's not how you code. Coding is about making abstractions - making complex things simple. What he's done is the opposite. And now, supposedly, he's adding multiplayer on top? As Judy Hopps would say - "Sweet cheese and crackers!" ...

Despite his earnings, I can't say I envy the position fek finds himself in.

ToastCrumb

Mar 22, 2019
That's untrue. As far as handling the complexity of a project is concerned, adding more programmers will not reduce it, only add more as there's more room for miscommunication, confusion and general fuck ups. A project maintained by a single competent developer is far less likely to be mishandled than one maintained by several.

[-snip-]
I will say, from seeing his streams and such, the sole reason he's taking on this by himself when he could easy get a team of people working on it was because he was making it hot off the tail "Breeding Season" going under because a key dev pulled out with his assets, taking a chunk of the game with him, and games like "The Cathouse Tail" falling under because team members falling out leaving the project undone. If the game falls flat, it's all on him and not because of a team member ruining everything.
iirc things like the music were essentially donated to the game so there wasn't any issue with conflicts with the person who made it if in case something happened, everything else being home-made. things like modding were to be left open if in case someone wants to add their own stuff or work on it themselves, making their own flavor, hence things like rack 2: reinvented being cool by him.

Reactions: PronFox

PronFox

Mar 7, 2019

It's like having more artists work on a single painting. Having more can complete it quicker, yes, but it won't necessarily make it any better, since styles will clash and the overarching design may be compromised in the process.

So how do big enterprises on big projects handle it? If they're competent, they'll employ coding practices that have been developed and refined over the decades, that, when followed, will prevent these kinds of problems from emerging in the first place. An incompetent developer will not employ such practices, and thus their projects will, inevitably, decay. It happens all the time, and it isn't from the lack of workers, just the lack of competence and experience. (As a matter of fact, having more developers could actually have accelerated the decay.)

From having glimpsed some of the codebase (from his streams), I can tell you the way R2CK is structured isn't healthy. Not for the project nor the developer. It doesn't matter how good of a programmer you are, but you can't have the majority of work contained in a single file called "Game.cs" with 20k lines of code and where any change may break it. That's not how you code. Coding is about making abstractions - making complex things simple. What he's done is the opposite. And now, supposedly, he's adding multiplayer on top? As Judy Hopps would say - "Sweet cheese and crackers!" ...

Despite his earnings, I can't say I envy the position fek finds himself in.
From my understanding, that isn't really the case in the grand scheme of things, and I've worked on HTML5 (which is an unholy mess of code where a single typo can ruin everything, hell Aliens: Colonial Marines was ruined gameplay wise because of one typo that can be edited in notebook) before (and failed the introductory class, twice). In addition, in many code formats you can't 'abstract it', it just makes things worse. If you want to do things yourself, you have to keep a game incredibly simple and/or small.

As the complexity increases, specialization is inevitable, and thus more people are required... something that is baked into reality itself, mind you.
I will say, from seeing his streams and such, the sole reason he's taking on this by himself when he could easy get a team of people working on it was because he was making it hot off the tail "Breeding Season" going under because a key dev pulled out with his assets, taking a chunk of the game with him, and games like "The Cathouse Tail" falling under because team members falling out leaving the project undone. If the game falls flat, it's all on him and not because of a team member ruining everything.
iirc things like the music were essentially donated to the game so there wasn't any issue with conflicts with the person who made it if in case something happened, everything else being home-made. things like modding were to be left open if in case someone wants to add their own stuff or work on it themselves, making their own flavor, hence things like rack 2: reinvented being cool by him.
This is very admirable and I applaud him being for being so, but not to the detriment of himself and his customers.

asdf9000

Dec 2, 2019
From my understanding, that isn't really the case in the grand scheme of things, and I've worked on HTML5 (which is an unholy mess of code where a single typo can ruin everything, hell Aliens: Colonial Marines was ruined gameplay wise because of one typo that can be edited in notebook) before (and failed the introductory class, twice). In addition, in many code formats you can't 'abstract it', it just makes things worse. If you want to do things yourself, you have to keep a game incredibly simple and/or small.

As the complexity increases, specialization is inevitable, and thus more people are required... something that is baked into reality itself, mind you.

This is very admirable and I applaud him being for being so, but not to the detriment of himself and his customers.
A similar thing happened to someone named Abelius, he was making Legend Of Krystal: Rebirth, and got sacked and they restarted developement, and they have the audacity to call the game a v1.0.1, Abelius recently made a game made solely by him i believe, but anyways heres the page for lok https://f95zone.to/threads/lok-rebirth-v1-0-1-the-tribe-devs.59634/page-76 the reason for being fired from the project was reducing his hours a little iirc because he had been working a ton for a long time, and needed to pace himself, they hired more people, got rid of abelius, and now the game gets updated barely at all

PronFox

Mar 7, 2019
A similar thing happened to someone named Abelius, he was making Legend Of Krystal: Rebirth, and got sacked and they restarted developement, and they have the audacity to call the game a v1.0.1, Abelius recently made a game made solely by him i believe, but anyways heres the page for lok https://f95zone.to/threads/lok-rebirth-v1-0-1-the-tribe-devs.59634/page-76 the reason for being fired from the project was reducing his hours a little iirc because he had been working a ton for a long time, and needed to pace himself, they hired more people, got rid of abelius, and now the game gets updated barely at all
Ah, that sort of situation. Still, for something as complex as this, Fek needs more people, even if it's just one or two.

FuzzyFerret

Aug 10, 2017
Yeah, or he needs to do multiplayer later, and focus on the core concepts of the game
nah,on unity if he want it inside his game, he need to do it the soonest possible, a lot of dev make this error and realize the amount of work multiplayer demand when they have done their game for solo.

• Wow

asdf9000

Dec 2, 2019
nah,on unity if he want it inside his game, he need to do it the soonest possible, a lot of dev make this error and realize the amount of work multiplayer demand when they have done their game for solo.
I figured as much, with how long its taking to update he is most likely working on multiplayer, though I wish that some of the bugs were fixed, i'm fine with someone not wanting other people, as it can make a game feel different to how it was, i just hope he is not getting burned out on this

Jul 19, 2020
i realy enjoy the game, its not easy to find games with a big costomization like these, anyone know another one that you can recomend? with futas preferably

FuzzyFerret

Aug 10, 2017
Been looking at it and, well, not as many customization options as Rack. At least at a casual glance.
the character creator is actual a bit difficult to take in hands (cuz no tutorial) but trust me ... the CC of FurryVNE is way more deeper an complete than rack 2, the only counter part is : it's not casual friendly, it take time to make a good characters (like minimum x5 the time you are making for a character in rack 2)
you have a cloud in game where you can download all the characters done by the community or upload yours.

just take a look at the cloud best characters and tell me that again :3

Sep 20, 2021
when creating a character I have found myself accidentally clicking the Save Changes button before I'm finished due to it's placement. Maybe the button can be moved to a part of the screen where you aren't actually clicking like a corner or the general right side of the screen?

3.00 star(s) 26 Votes