• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Dan.3

Feb 2, 2020
Can someone help me ? I downloaded the game on utorrent and I'm playing on chrome but I can see only a few images the rest is just blank space...

EDF1919

Dec 30, 2017
So I decided to do a little project and create a family tree, this picture does not do justice to how giant it really is, and I have a feeling it will only get more complicated in Ch.3, if I figure a way to let y'all look and interact without changing anything I will post that. Also if I got something wrong please let me know.

EDF1919

Dec 30, 2017
So just to illustrate how absurdly dumb I am, I figured out a way to let y'all interact with the tree. So here you go.

BTW this is actually a really good site if you want to make an actual family tree of your own, and it's totally free.

Reactions: nikcha

Macari

Nov 14, 2016
So I decided to do a little project and create a family tree, this picture does not do justice to how giant it really is, and I have a feeling it will only get more complicated in Ch.3, if I figure a way to let y'all look and interact without changing anything I will post that. Also if I got something wrong please let me know.

Sophie is actually his aunt as well as mother to Alex
Eva is Missing also Aunt
Lily is also his Aunt
Ella is Missing (Emma's Mother)
Nina is his wife, so Alexis (Nina's Mother is Missing)
Bally is his wife
Bethany and Alice are his Sister
Mia is Also missing (Lisa's daughter)

EDF1919

Dec 30, 2017
Sophie is actually his aunt as well as mother to Alex
Eva is Missing also Aunt
Lily is also his Aunt
Ella is Missing (Emma's Mother)
Nina is his wife, so Alexis (Nina's Mother is Missing)
Bally is his wife
Bethany and Alice are his Sister
Mia is Also missing (Lisa's daughter)
They are all there but the way the tree software works it doesn't show everyone at once, it only shows up to a certain relationship distance form the person selected, so while Mia is there it doesn't show her unless you click on Lisa, same for Alexis and others.

Lister Sage

Jun 18, 2019
That reminds me, there wasn't a birth for Megan or Nyomi's pregnancies. I don't know if Rmaximus forgot them or is planning something for the next update.

minombrehota

Jul 4, 2017
I just started playing this one yesterday, downloaded it from the torrent, and there are a few images missing. Well, not so much missing as they are labeled incorrectly.

Example during the intro:

file:///C:...blah blah blah...pics/people/sarinavalentina/1.jpg

I travel to that sub-sub folder in the game file and there isn't an image labelled "1.jpg" which leads me to believe that at some point the dev changed the names of the pictures in the folders but not in the game code. I could be wrong and it's possible the torrent version of the game has missing images. Can someone clear this up?

And if anyone has a suggestion, I'm open to that as well. Thanks

Future!Phantom

"Someone else might get it wrong"
Game Developer
Aug 13, 2018
Rmaximus
I think I know how to make the game smaller in download size, and it shouldn't result in any loss in quality. I talked about it in my review I posted, but since this can improve the game for everyone trying to play it, I thought I'd elaborate here.

Of the 13.3GB of storage the game takes up, 13GB is exclusively for the 178 characters. I remember you tried shortening the videos in the past, so we'll look at the images. Recently, in order to reduce the size of the assets in my own game, I resized every image used to match the display resolution that would be used in the game. I didn't see the point in having 4k images when they would be shown on screen with a max width of 1000 pixels. The result, the game is half the size is was before (for context, it's only on its third update and has a cast of around 7).

So, what if we applied the same process to your game. As explained in the review, the "banner.jpg" image shown on the start screen displays at around 800 pixels in width (it varies depending on the device, my monitor is 1920x1080). The source image is over 2000 pixels in width. Any quality in the source image is compressed when displaying it, so why not set a specific display resolution, and resize the image to match. By resizing the banner image to match the display resolution, the file size goes from 580kb to 112kb, nearly a quarter of its existing size. If this was applied to every image in the game, optimising them for a specific display resolution, Gigabytes of data would be saved, making the game more accessible, and easier to download. Image quality wouldn't be affected, as the image quality is already being downscaled to match the display, and only those on 4k monitors would really notice the higher resolution of the images.

This is only an example, and by no means am I saying you should do this, only that this is one option that would solve one of the biggest issues with the game at present.

Swalexxx

Dec 19, 2017
Rmaximus
I think I know how to make the game smaller in download size, and it shouldn't result in any loss in quality. I talked about it in my review I posted, but since this can improve the game for everyone trying to play it, I thought I'd elaborate here.

Of the 13.3GB of storage the game takes up, 13GB is exclusively for the 178 characters. I remember you tried shortening the videos in the past, so we'll look at the images. Recently, in order to reduce the size of the assets in my own game, I resized every image used to match the display resolution that would be used in the game. I didn't see the point in having 4k images when they would be shown on screen with a max width of 1000 pixels. The result, the game is half the size is was before (for context, it's only on its third update and has a cast of around 7).

So, what if we applied the same process to your game. As explained in the review, the "banner.jpg" image shown on the start screen displays at around 800 pixels in width (it varies depending on the device, my monitor is 1920x1080). The source image is over 2000 pixels in width. Any quality in the source image is compressed when displaying it, so why not set a specific display resolution, and resize the image to match. By resizing the banner image to match the display resolution, the file size goes from 580kb to 112kb, nearly a quarter of its existing size. If this was applied to every image in the game, optimising them for a specific display resolution, Gigabytes of data would be saved, making the game more accessible, and easier to download. Image quality wouldn't be affected, as the image quality is already being downscaled to match the display, and only those on 4k monitors would really notice the higher resolution of the images.

This is only an example, and by no means am I saying you should do this, only that this is one option that would solve one of the biggest issues with the game at present.
Problem is gonna be resizing the 12.5GB worth of GIF/MP4/WEBM files. Around 2900 files.
1950 of which are videos that would need re-encoding...
Cutting just the images down in size by half would only net you 0.5Gb out of 1Gb.

Future!Phantom

"Someone else might get it wrong"
Game Developer
Aug 13, 2018
Problem is gonna be resizing the 12.5GB worth of GIF/MP4/WEBM files. Around 2900 files.
1950 of which are videos that would need re-encoding...
Cutting just the images down in size by half would only net you 0.5Gb out of 1Gb.
Yeah you're right, I wasn't able to accurately look into every folder when I made the review and comment so didn't realise the scope of the video/gif content. Unfortunately, with 178 characters in the game, and the current ending of the game suggesting that even more characters are going to show up, the file size issue will likely not go away, and may only get worse in time.

Even if my suggestions would only save 500MB of storage space, it was still a worthwhile suggestion to be made.

Reactions: lazycodemonkey

Swalexxx

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah you're right, I wasn't able to accurately look into every folder when I made the review and comment so didn't realise the scope of the video/gif content. Unfortunately, with 178 characters in the game, and the current ending of the game suggesting that even more characters are going to show up, the file size issue will likely not go away, and may only get worse in time.

Even if my suggestions would only save 500MB of storage space, it was still a worthwhile suggestion to be made.
Every bit helps. By just resizing the location images to 1080p I cleared up around 130mb.
I just started the long process of resizing everything to see how it turns out. Gonna be a while :)
Encoding the gifs to webm is a big one. A 134mb GIF = 1.5mb webm, albeit a smaller res (720p-360p).
Having to go through the code, changing the .gif files to .webm is gonna be tedious though.

Murakami2099

Aug 27, 2018

As I have repeatedly told people with overflowing email inboxes, saying it's too much and refusing to start doing something about it now just makes it an even larger problem later when they declare your inbox is too full and give you an ultimatum to clean up or be canceled. If it has to be done, it has to be done, and waiting until there is even more that has to be done will not make it easier.

There are tons of fans, maybe farm out the resizing work? If each person is only reencoding a single video and sending it back that will scale far better.

3.50 star(s) 22 Votes