4.10 star(s) 194 Votes

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
And this is why even Americans suck at English, their natural born language. lol
And, context means a LOT, in English. The same word can have dozens of meanings, but dozens of words can be used to express that concept, in a slightly different way, but still close enough to confuse non-natives.
It's likely due to English being the "stolen language", as I've heard said, because it borrows from so many other languages.
We have a ton of words for concepts that don't even exist in some other languages.
It's very Germanic, but uses words from Latin, Spanish, German, French, and a few others.
It's a bit ridiculous. haha
But, yes, the dialogue in this game is pretty good. I don't know where the dev is from, but their English is much better than that of the average American.
English has always been that way. When Germanic tribes invaded the British Isles, they mixed with the Celts and Gaels, creating what we now call Old English. In 1066, William the Bastard (afterward self-named "the Conqueror") took over England. He was effectively an Old French-speaking Viking and forced French on all "official" government and public educational institutions. By the time of The Canterbury Tales, Middle English was a mess of Germanic, Celtic/Gaelic, and French words. The Renaissance and Enlightenment imported a bunch of Greek and Latin. Migration / colonialization imported a bunch of terms from other languages. Adjacency of the United States to Mexico resulted in a fair amount of Spanish importing. 20th- and 21st-century business and computer technology brought in words from all sorts of other languages.

The result: mass confusion in the package of the Modern English language. I never envy anyone from a non-English place trying to learn the hows (and especially the whys) of ModE. Anyway, the point of all of this was that English is complicated enough that you can almost always tell when someone is a native English speaker. The writing team for Rebirth absolutely is, or else they have extremely effectively learned to speak English like native speakers do. But again, that does not mean we've got Pulitzer-prize-winning text or anything.

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
English has always been that way. When Germanic tribes invaded the British Isles, they mixed with the Celts and Gaels, creating what we now call Old English. In 1066, William the Bastard (afterward self-named "the Conqueror") took over England. He was effectively an Old French-speaking Viking and forced French on all "official" government and public educational institutions. By the time of The Canterbury Tales, Middle English was a mess of Germanic, Celtic/Gaelic, and French words. The Renaissance and Enlightenment imported a bunch of Greek and Latin. Migration / colonialization imported a bunch of terms from other languages. Adjacency of the United States to Mexico resulted in a fair amount of Spanish importing. 20th- and 21st-century business and computer technology brought in words from all sorts of other languages.

The result: mass confusion in the package of the Modern English language. I never envy anyone from a non-English place trying to learn the hows (and especially the whys) of ModE. Anyway, the point of all of this was that English is complicated enough that you can almost always tell when someone is a native English speaker. The writing team for Rebirth absolutely is, or else they have extremely effectively learned to speak English like native speakers do. But again, that does not mean we've got Pulitzer-prize-winning text or anything.
thats interesting but English is from the main languages the easiest to learn!
only class B language in the Germanic languages is German itself... surprisingly even Dutch is a class A as in easy to learn!
spoken English needs as little as 400 words to get the message across while something like French needs 12.000 words...
Spanish requires 2.000 words to get the message across!
only part were English could be complicated would be on the higher levels going from 75.000 to 150.000 words depending on the type of English you are using!
its actually the only language with such a wide disparity of vocabulary, for instance in Portuguese it goes from 100.000 to 120.000 words but several African and South Asian words are not considered as part of the Portuguese vocabulary while several south american words are due to Brazil´s influence!
most of the top 20 languages in the world have less then 30.000 words range from the highform to the absolute form
not sure i explained myself properly!
but if you are an highspeaker as to speak Australian American UK English South African and the rest your vocabulary should be close to 150.000 words but since most are just synonyms the average english user even natives go by with just 20.000 meaning even native speakers suck at speaking their own language, yes even a native speaker has to read a shitload of books from several other anglophone countries to get to an average level!
even worse if you are american since in reality you have 8 different English speakers or sub languages in the states...
if you combine them all yeah you should have 35% of the vocabulary but if you only lived and spoke in Louisiana or Missouri you are the poorest English native speaker in the world... as an example!
only other such language situation is Spanish but its not that bad, a native should speak 1/3 of its entire vocabulary by just being a native speaker... but if you do not put in the work, you suck at your own language!

So no do not pity those foreigners that must learn English, easy er then most other languages actually try Hungarian Polish or European Portuguese to have a go at really complex languages!
Actually at least 50%, probably more of the few hundreds of thousands who can speak the English high form with all the proper grammar and wide vocabulary are non native speakers, they just read alot and put in the work!

but that is also why english is in trufh the lingua franca of the world, its the easyest to learn but complex enough that if you are linguist or a gramatician you will have a long way to go before you get bored!

or in other words a language for the idiots and the conceited cunts...

No one is saying basic English is hard to learn. But to learn English and sound like a native speaker, it's much, much more difficult. That is specifically what I was talking about. In my experience, most (all?) languages are very easy to learn in their most basic forms. There also is much, much more to a language than just the number of words you know. For instance, when you see someone in an AVN have "Are you going?" and the answer is "Yes, I'm", that is immediately a flag that the writer is not a native English speaker. No person born learning English would ever end a sentence that way (except by way of example of what not to do, as I did here).
or a redneck from south Sussex or a scounser from Liverpool or a high Scot from Aberdeen or a cornwallians or a... plenty of exceptions to that rule!
just because its basic for you, Trinidad and Tobago, or Jamaica are native English spears and they use those grammar forms or others non intuitive!
the most interesting part is that redneck and the new "black urban" in the states are actually the same language...
fuck i am pretty decent at English and i can not for the life of me understand east londoners...
1st time i watched scrubs with the original Manchester accent i had a hard time, and do not get me about the English jersey shore with those dudes from newcastle!
and since half of the examples i gave actually come from Angle Land it can not be considered nothing else except English!

You're actually veering off into completely unrelated territory. We were discussing standard English, as spoken with consistency by the vast majority of native English speakers. Obviously dialects will cause exceptions and variations; those prove absolutely nothing contrary to what I already said. What a silly point to bring up. :FacePalm:

I specifically pointed out the problem with clitics because it's standard across almost all native versions of English. If there are exceptions, they are few and far between and are irrelevant to what I was saying. Additionally, every time I've seen clitics misused, there are none of the accompanying other English variants from those dialects that should be expected. So again, there are clear indications when someone is a native English speaker.

You're also taking what I said and trying to cram that into a point you're trying to make, something I never argued. First, you talk about how English is super easy because "as little as 400 words" are needed "to get the message across". This is basic English. This — and only this — is what I meant by using the word basic. Then, you apply the term basic to mean "easy". That was never what I was saying. So congratulations on winning an argument against no one about nothing.

I don't know why you've chosen to read into my last posts something I never ever said, but I'm done now. I am not going to keep this back-and-forth going. This is completely off-topic at this point and just asinine. :rolleyes:
herm what? we are exchanging information as far as i am aware!
the required vocabulary is just a quantitative way to evaluate the complexity of a language on its different forms!
you need the standard that if my memory doesn´t fail me is around 40.000 words,
it might be more considering the evolution that as been happening in so many different fields
yeah my information is old at least 2 decades!

anyway clearly my post as been miss understood so why bother!

"Redneck" is NOT a language. "Redneck" is a type of person from a certain upbringing, usually "from the country" in the states.
Rednecks speak English. They just have crazy accents, and misunderstandings of words, due to lack of education from their ancestors, that make it sound like a different dialect. I promise you, as I was born in Southern America, and 95% of my family is Southern rednecks. My grandma pronounces "siren" like "sireen" and "diabetes" like "die beat us", and my dad can't pronounce "boulevard" properly. He says "booty bard." lol
I know very little about other English speaking nations, but know plenty of people who now live in the states, and are from other nations like Australia, Britain, Canada, etc, who speak almost exactly the same way as Americans, aside from accent, and a very small amount of words that are used differently. I.E.: "Elevator" vs "lift", or "fuck it" vs "fuck all", or "dude" vs "bloke."
Very small differences.
redneck is a culture or a sub culture of a sub culture!
just ask any anthropologist! and they are British transported into the states(or the culture is at least!)
the original rednecks still exist in England to this day!
as for their lack of education from their ancestors...
the standard language only came about during the nationalist movements of the 19th century!
until then they spoke a dialect of English that was neither better or worse then the rest!
this sub culture group exists at least since the 13th century and probably dates back to much further back!
from my best understanding of what happened they are a mix between the Saxons and the Britons culturally speaking!
they adopted the language as a middle ground but the culture is far more intermixed then what the grammar would suppose!

actually the reason why i got interested in this was that they are the template
George rr martin used for the 1st man culture in the ice and fire books!

Not sure exactly what you were trying to mean with "a language for the idiots and the conceited cunts... ", but if you're saying English speakers are idiots and conceited cunts, then you effectively insulted literally every person who can understand this.
And, for someone trying to sound like they know a lot about everything, your grammar is pretty horrid. I felt like I was taking a real linguistic adventure by just attempting to decipher some of that. lmao
All that aside, I doubt anyone in here truly cares about who spoke what words first, or how many words each language actually has. The whole point of the conversation was that many devs in here will claim their game was written in English, when the dialogue makes it brutally obvious they do not speak English very well.
my point was that the "very well" is only actually spoken by a few hundred thousands
from amongst the almost 1.5 billions that speak it as their native or 2nd language!
as for the idiots and conceited its a barb mainly against everyone that thinks that they dominate the language!
the basic form is so basic that almost everyone that puts a moderate effort into it can learn it!
but to truly dominate the language its something quite different and very few can!
yes me included, the most relevant part is that my grammar took a massive hit once i started using the internet...
ofc that might be because i started to learn several other languages and some times there are contamination from other languages
since i also speak french and German many times i have found myself using German or french grammatical forms while speaking English!

so if i insulted anyone i was also including myself in that bunch... a bit counter intuitive but it is what it is!
because what for Australians or Uk English might see as bad English
can actually be supported in the spoken form in other parts of the globe that also have English as their native tongue!
Also the grammatical "rules" have only been set in the 19th century if its anything like French or German
but several of those dialects have existed for hundreds of years before those rules were set!

the redneck example or the cornwallian dialect are perfect examples of attested dialects that existed before that
nowadays we recognize them as the "southern american" but they existed even before the colonization period
like the Anglo Irish form that colonized a bit north from the south of the united states! mainly the Appalachians
so telling people that their English is bad, when they and their ancestors actually spoke it before there were any rules
is what seems a bit conceited, even to this day we do not know how much comes from Saxon Jute Angle or Briton for that matter into the formation of the language!

we do know that 50% of the written form mostly comes from french, but that is another particularity of the English language
in the written form is 50% french but when its spoken it tends to be 80% Germanic
and depending on the English region it originates it can be mainly Scandinavian dutch or Deutsche

so no i am hardly an expert in the language but i do have some snipets of knowledge here and there!

Last edited:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
only class B language in the Germanic languages is German itself... surprisingly even Dutch is a class A as in easy to learn!
spoken English needs as little as 400 words to get the message across while something like French needs 12.000 words...
only part were English could be complicated would be on the higher levels going from 75.000 to 150.000 words depending on the type of English you are using!
its actually the only language with such a wide disparity of vocabulary, for instance in Portuguese it goes from 100.000 to 120.000 words but several African and South Asian words are not considered as part of the Portuguese vocabulary while several south american words are due to Brazil´s influence!
most of the top 20 languages in the world have less then 30.000 words range from the highform to the absolute form
but if you are an highspeaker as to speak Australian American UK English South African and the rest your vocabulary should be close to 150.000 words but since most are just synonyms the average english user even natives go by with just 20.000 meaning even native speakers suck at speaking their own language, yes even a native speaker has to read a shitload of books from several other anglophone countries to get to an average level!
even worse if you are american since in reality you have 8 different English speakers or sub languages in the states...
if you combine them all yeah you should have 35% of the vocabulary but if you only lived and spoke in Louisiana or Missouri you are the poorest English native speaker in the world... as an example!
only other such language situation is Spanish but its not that bad, a native should speak 1/3 of its entire vocabulary by just being a native speaker... but if you do not put in the work, you suck at your own language!

So no do not pity those foreigners that must learn English, easy er then most other languages actually try Hungarian Polish or European Portuguese to have a go at really complex languages!
Actually at least 50%, probably more of the few hundreds of thousands who can speak the English high form with all the proper grammar and wide vocabulary are non native speakers, they just read alot and put in the work!

but that is also why english is in trufh the lingua franca of the world, its the easyest to learn but complex enough that if you are linguist or a gramatician you will have a long way to go before you get bored!

No one is saying basic English is hard to learn. But to learn English and sound like a native speaker, it's much, much more difficult. That is specifically what I was talking about. In my experience, most (all?) languages are very easy to learn in their most basic forms. There also is much, much more to a language than just the number of words you know. For instance, when you see someone in an AVN have "Are you going?" and the answer is "Yes, I'm", that is immediately a flag that the writer is not a native English speaker. No person born learning English would ever end a sentence that way (except by way of example of what not to do, as I did here).

PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
Sorry if there isn't a Marvel or DC stamp of approval for you.
Try reading a new comic, yours are obviously out of date, I supported a new artist comic series called the Rippaverse. Put that in your pipe Popeye *snickers* I used to like the Silver Surfer series until they would throw some of the heroes in the dump to say they were not able to assist in the battles. I also, dislike much of the newer movies they make, trash as most Hollywood movies are these days. I prefer independents and watch movies in other languages regularly. I also have access to watch new content releases at no cost, I share access with close friends only. I as I mentioned was suggesting an update of the spoiler, but I am always ready to have a contest of wit, unfortunately most are unarmed and I refuse to beat them into the ground. I hope you have more potential or inertia. I also used to read Dr Strange, I study metaphysics if you will...

Reactions: furdmcturkin

furdmcturkin

Aug 11, 2023
Try reading a new comic, yours are obviously out of date, I supported a new artist comic series called the Rippaverse. Put that in your pipe Popeye *snickers* I used to like the Silver Surfer series until they would throw some of the heroes in the dump to say they were not able to assist in the battles. I also, dislike much of the newer movies they make, trash as most Hollywood movies are these days. I prefer independents and watch movies in other languages regularly. I also have access to watch new content releases at no cost, I share access with close friends only. I as I mentioned was suggesting an update of the spoiler, but I am always ready to have a contest of wit, unfortunately most are unarmed and I refuse to beat them into the ground. I hope you have more potential or inertia. I also used to read Dr Strange, I study metaphysics if you will...
ISOM ftw

ghost1122

Oct 23, 2019
Had to replace hard drive and needed a save file from here. (Found one from Chapter 3) Anyway, my MC's name is now Mi... Is that pronounced Me or is it M-eye? :unsure:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
or a redneck from south Sussex or a scounser from Liverpool or a high Scot from Aberdeen or a cornwallians or a... plenty of exceptions to that rule!
just because its basic for you, Trinidad and Tobago, or Jamaica are native English spears and they use those grammar forms or others non intuitive!
the most interesting part is that redneck and the new "black urban" in the states are actually the same language...
fuck i am pretty decent at English and i can not for the life of me understand east londoners...
1st time i watched scrubs with the original Manchester accent i had a hard time, and do not get me about the English jersey shore with those dudes from newcastle!
and since half of the examples i gave actually come from Angle Land it can not be considered nothing else except English!
You're actually veering off into completely unrelated territory. We were discussing standard English, as spoken with consistency by the vast majority of native English speakers. Obviously dialects will cause exceptions and variations; those prove absolutely nothing contrary to what I already said. What a silly point to bring up. :FacePalm:

I specifically pointed out the problem with clitics because it's standard across almost all native versions of English. If there are exceptions, they are few and far between and are irrelevant to what I was saying. Additionally, every time I've seen clitics misused, there are none of the accompanying other English variants from those dialects that should be expected. So again, there are clear indications when someone is a native English speaker.

You're also taking what I said and trying to cram that into a point you're trying to make, something I never argued. First, you talk about how English is super easy because "as little as 400 words" are needed "to get the message across". This is basic English. This — and only this — is what I meant by using the word basic. Then, you apply the term basic to mean "easy". That was never what I was saying. So congratulations on winning an argument against no one about nothing.

I don't know why you've chosen to read into my last posts something I never ever said, but I'm done now. I am not going to keep this back-and-forth going. This is completely off-topic at this point and just asinine. :rolleyes:

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018

"Redneck" is NOT a language. "Redneck" is a type of person from a certain upbringing, usually "from the country" in the states.
Rednecks speak English. They just have crazy accents, and misunderstandings of words, due to lack of education from their ancestors, that make it sound like a different dialect. I promise you, as I was born in Southern America, and 95% of my family is Southern rednecks. My grandma pronounces "siren" like "sireen" and "diabetes" like "die beat us", and my dad can't pronounce "boulevard" properly. He says "booty bard." lol
I know very little about other English speaking nations, but know plenty of people who now live in the states, and are from other nations like Australia, Britain, Canada, etc, who speak almost exactly the same way as Americans, aside from accent, and a very small amount of words that are used differently. I.E.: "Elevator" vs "lift", or "fuck it" vs "fuck all", or "dude" vs "bloke."
Very small differences.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Voltorb4989

Oct 9, 2023
Im on episode 4 and can not get past the fight and just keep getting a game over screen ive went back and changed every important decision i can think all the way back to episode 2 and i still just keep falling and i dont get it how do you not fail in the fight. I like the game and the story is cool but if i have to restart the whole game just to get past 1 scene in the 4th episode I think thats pretty stupid to think people will do especially since the game is in 4 different files at that point.

Wen I Say

Mar 17, 2019
Im on episode 4 and can not get past the fight and just keep getting a game over screen ive went back and changed every important decision i can think all the way back to episode 2 and i still just keep falling and i dont get it how do you not fail in the fight. I like the game and the story is cool but if i have to restart the whole game just to get past 1 scene in the 4th episode I think thats pretty stupid to think people will do especially since the game is in 4 different files at that point.
or you can just get the walkthrough mod roll back to the beginning of the fight raise your stats and get one of the powers available in the fight to you know win the fight...

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018

herm what? we are exchanging information as far as i am aware!
the required vocabulary is just a quantitative way to evaluate the complexity of a language on its different forms!
you need the standard that if my memory doesn´t fail me is around 40.000 words,
it might be more considering the evolution that as been happening in so many different fields
yeah my information is old at least 2 decades!

anyway clearly my post as been miss understood so why bother!

redneck is a culture or a sub culture of a sub culture!
just ask any anthropologist! and they are British transported into the states(or the culture is at least19
the original rednecks still exist in England to this day!
as for their lack of education from their ancestors...
the standard language only came about during the nationalist movements of the 19th century!
until then they spoke a dialect of English that was neither better or worse then the rest!
this sub culture group exists at least since the 13th century and probably dates back to much further back!
from my best understanding of what happened they are a mix between the Saxons and the Britons culturally speaking!
they adopted the language as a middle ground but the culture is far more intermixed then what the grammar would suppose!

actually the reason why i got interested in this was that they are the template
George rr martin used for the 1st man culture in the ice and fire books!
Not sure exactly what you were trying to mean with "a language for the idiots and the conceited cunts... ", but if you're saying English speakers are idiots and conceited cunts, then you effectively insulted literally every person who can understand this.
And, for someone trying to sound like they know a lot about everything, your grammar is pretty horrid. I felt like I was taking a real linguistic adventure by just attempting to decipher some of that. lmao
All that aside, I doubt anyone in here truly cares about who spoke what words first, or how many words each language actually has. The whole point of the conversation was that many devs in here will claim their game was written in English, when the dialogue makes it brutally obvious they do not speak English very well.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
seems that you have fubared even earlier if you are missing claws, ride the senses or whatever it is etc.

Impurity2937

Dec 31, 2022
You either have to have claws or dagger from mommy. Claws decision is available after having power 10 or something like that so make sure to train with this chick and push Andrew. Dagger you get if you offer her Astrid.

Personally I'm not a fan of this random crap. Situation like this above shows how stupid idea in game like that it is. Even making right decisions will not guarantee you will not have to play it all again from some point...

Voltorb4989

Oct 9, 2023
You either have to have claws or dagger from mommy. Claws decision is available after having power 10 or something like that so make sure to train with this chick and push Andrew. Dagger you get if you offer her Astrid.

Personally I'm not a fan of this random crap. Situation like this above shows how stupid idea in game like that it is. Even making right decisions will not guarantee you will not have to play it all again from some point...
I feel the same way because I made all the right choices but I did not get any of the random chance scenes so I no matter what even having offered astrid I still lose the encounter. I had to go back with the walkthrough mod just to get the random chance points scenes and then I could progress. And even with that the game still does not fully work because now in chapter 5 astrid is still in the cage even though Calisto had me drain her. But besides all of that why make a point check 4 installments in that is a game over that you have to essentially restart the whole game reinstall 3 parts and hope you get the right random scenes that the player has no idea are even there and then you will be able to progress, like if the walkthrough mod is not present from someone else the game is potentially unplayable if you get as unlucky as I did. That just seems like a terrible plan if your goal is player retention which it should be just get rid of the element of chance and just make the story more linear with choices being the fail point not literal chance.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
chapter 5 astrid is still in the cage even though Calisto had me drain her.
yes it's a bug in game. dev just forgot to fix it for this update and it's not a big issue unless she starts popping around even more.

Wolfeszorn

Jul 24, 2021
I feel the same way because I made all the right choices but I did not get any of the random chance scenes so I no matter what even having offered astrid I still lose the encounter. I had to go back with the walkthrough mod just to get the random chance points scenes and then I could progress. And even with that the game still does not fully work because now in chapter 5 astrid is still in the cage even though Calisto had me drain her. But besides all of that why make a point check 4 installments in that is a game over that you have to essentially restart the whole game reinstall 3 parts and hope you get the right random scenes that the player has no idea are even there and then you will be able to progress, like if the walkthrough mod is not present from someone else the game is potentially unplayable if you get as unlucky as I did. That just seems like a terrible plan if your goal is player retention which it should be just get rid of the element of chance and just make the story more linear with choices being the fail point not literal chance.
that´s one of the reasons i always use 0x52. If you don´t already use it, it´s a universal ren´py mod. It shows you possible branch points, lets you change the variables and so on. just give it a try

Impurity2937

Dec 31, 2022
Yep. I guess dev just wanted to make something different and implemented random event the second after he got that idea without further thinking about it.

What is the point of getting something random in game? Well, it gives player better immersion since like in life, you cannot predict everything right? But it works in games like RPG - I got 300 gold instead of 800? Well, that's fine, I will just get it in some other way. This makes every play somehow unique but here...? Rebirth is 100% pure scripted and that means random background decision either makes your game possible or impossible to play. One of the dumbest idea I have seen in here but it is what it is. That's why I always play with mod or with console unlocked, helps me bypass devs work of art.

that´s one of the reasons i always use 0x52. If you don´t already use it, it´s a universal ren´py mod. It shows you possible branch points, lets you change the variables and so on. just give it a try
Wow, I had no idea there is an "universal renpy mod", thanks!

4.10 star(s) 194 Votes