[Ren'Py] SU Re-Imagined, an UNOFFICIAL Proof of Concept Ren'Py Demo - Community Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
What next needs to be transcribed?
There's a long list, plus we need to finish the quarters content for a few of the girls as well, i.e. Batgirl, Hawkgirl, Supergirl, Zatanna, Mercy, Harley, Lois, not sure how far along Stargirl is at this point...

Not to mention the Villainess action going on in Lex's quarters...

Then there's Raven, Darci, Audrey... eventually Harley #2...

So besides Huntress and perhaps Black Canary, there are a LOT of options! If you are interested in helping, which Heroine, or Villainess, most interests you atm?

Reactions: GucciGang69

monkmonk

Jul 20, 2018
There's a long list, plus we need to finish the quarters content for a few of the girls as well, i.e. Batgirl, Hawkgirl, Supergirl, Zatanna, Mercy, Harley, Lois, not sure how far along Stargirl is at this point...

So besides Huntress and perhaps Black Canary, there are a LOT of options! If you are interested in helping, which Heroine, or Villainess, most interests you atm?
Supergirl and Mercy and Harley...

Honestly, I feel like I can just bang out a bunch in big bursts, so I'll just start with one. I'll need to start a fresh file, so the quickest accessible will be Batgirl. Then I'll just avoid Huntress and Black Canary, transcribing every other one as they become accessible.

My question is: How best to organize the transcripts? Will I need headers for every unique dialogue iteration, such as "Dance 1," "Dance 2," "Strip 1," as well as "Lex Corp Intro," "Daily Planet Meeting 2"? Should I just throw it all into a single word doc or is a different program better?

Also, I love how in Mendoza's version the Vault allows you to revisit the entire scene of each iterative event rather than merely just the images. Is there any such plan for your Vault to do the same?

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Supergirl and Mercy and Harley...

Honestly, I feel like I can just bang out a bunch in big bursts, so I'll just start with one. I'll need to start a fresh file, so the quickest accessible will be Batgirl. Then I'll just avoid Huntress and Black Canary, transcribing every other one as they become accessible.

My question is: How best to organize the transcripts? Will I need headers for every unique dialogue iteration, such as "Dance 1," "Dance 2," "Strip 1," as well as "Lex Corp Intro," "Daily Planet Meeting 2"? Should I just throw it all into a single word doc or is a different program better?

Also, I love how in Mendoza's version the Vault allows you to revisit the entire scene of each iterative event rather than merely just the images. Is there any such plan for your Vault to do the same?
A quick note. We already have pretty much all of the dialogue extracted from SU Unity thanks to joepe's code scrape efforts! You can see that info HERE.

What we DON'T have is the associated sprite info, i.e. which expressions/costumes go with which dialogues, and of course we need people that can code such scenes for Ren'Py. The coding part is actually pretty straightforward, it's the 're-assembling and re-sizing' sprites thing that is the more tedious part. I can set up a layeredimage example for the conversational sprites as needed, to help get you started but as for the sexy fun time sprites... yeah my efforts are being focused elsewhere atm trying to get the rest of the gameplay backbone in place.

As for how to organize the various girl.rpy files, it's best to look at a few files for examples, but of course this means you'll need to get up to speed on Ren'Py coding if you aren't already up to speed.

So we definitely would appreciate the help, if you are willing to make the effort to learn how to code scenes in Ren'Py!

monkmonk

Jul 20, 2018
A quick note. We already have pretty much all of the dialogue extracted from SU Unity thanks to joepe's code scrape efforts! You can see that info HERE.

What we DON'T have is the associated sprite info, i.e. which expressions/costumes go with which dialogues, and of course we need people that can code such scenes for Ren'Py. The coding part is actually pretty straightforward, it's the 're-assembling and re-sizing' sprites thing that is the more tedious part. I can set up a layeredimage example for the conversational sprites as needed, to help get you started but as for the sexy fun time sprites... yeah my efforts are being focused elsewhere atm trying to get the rest of the gameplay backbone in place.

As for how to organize the various girl.rpy files, it's best to look at a few files for examples, but of course this means you'll need to get up to speed on Ren'Py coding if you aren't already up to speed.

So we definitely would appreciate the help, if you are willing to make the effort to learn how to code scenes in Ren'Py!
Oh I see. That was not my intention, but in for a penny, in for a pound. Where would I start to learn?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
For now, I'd suggest poking around in the ReImagined game files, specifically any of the .rpy files inside of the /game/girls folders. Batgirl, Harley, Hawkgirl, Huntress, Lois, Stargirl, Supergirl, and Zatanna have some cell scenes coded already, so you could look at their associated .rpy files to get a feel for what you are in for.

You can open these files up using notepad, but I'd recommend downloading notepad++ or notepad 2 so that you can properly save any edits that you may make to these files (i.e. maintain the Ren'Py character encoding). There are also a few Ren'Py editors out there that are pretty good, but I'm old school so I'll leave it to others to recommend the best ones.

You can mostly ignore the variable declarations at the top, those are already set, it's the scene/label stuff towards the end that you should take a look at to see how scenes are coded.

There are a few Ren'Py tutorials on the Youtubes and such, but most of the stuff those cover you simply won't need to know about to just code scenes. Still might be worth watching if you think that you might be interested in making a game of your own someday.

Ren'Py is actually fairly easy to use once you get the hang of things, which is a bit more 'beginner friendly' than more extensive VN/Game engines. Ren'Py is designed with storytelling in mind, and can be a very simple affair, or you can add more complex stuff once you get the feel for the 'basic coding structure'. It's very flexible in scope, and can do a lot of things.

I don't want to turn this thread into a Ren'Py tutorial thread though, but I'm more than happy to help via DMs so as to not clutter up this thread unnecessarily!

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
For now there is no Sex Scenes for Lex right?
Only with Hawkgirl in the Lexcorp quarters so far as I remember.

monkmonk also asked about implementing the 'Gallery/Vault feature'.

It's not a priority of mine atm in ReImagined. One will probably be added eventually, but for now I'm focused on actual gameplay stuff, not replay stuff. If someone else wanted to tackle the 'Vault' section of ReImagined it wouldn't hurt my feelings AT ALL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Testerguy19

GucciGang69

Dec 22, 2019

Not to mention the Villainess action going on in Lex's quarters...

Then there's Raven, Darci, Audrey... eventually Harley #2...

vixen hahaha. Ty again man for doing this, I really really really really really really appreciate it. If I still have stable income I will donate it to you.

• Hey there

Macfinn99

Jun 20, 2017
Running into glitches with the villains in v.27.5 Sinestro & Parasite keep transferring to 2nd tier villains and they stay on screen after a heist. I can use them for Rampage but I can't rehire them for new heists or captures.

Minor issues, Giganta is assigned to GS for security but her weekly $10,000 renewal payment is not occurring. Mercy and Tala stop appearing on the villains available lineup about halfway through.

Glad to see some new volunteers to help with the data transfer/loading. Welcome aboard!

• Thinking Face

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Running into glitches with the villains in v.27.5 Sinestro & Parasite keep transferring to 2nd tier villains and they stay on screen after a heist. I can use them for Rampage but I can't rehire them for new heists or captures.

Minor issues, Giganta is assigned to GS for security but her weekly $10,000 renewal payment is not occurring. Mercy and Tala stop appearing on the villains available lineup about halfway through.

Glad to see some new volunteers to help with the data transfer/loading. Welcome aboard!
What are you playtesting this on? I'm not seeing/able to replicate any of these problems, so I can't bugfix them...

Also, it takes about a week before a Villain sent on a rampage will re-appear for hire, dunno if that relates to your issue.

AND, most importantly, did you start a new game from the beginning? Existing saves from previous versions probably won't play nice with 0.27.5...

And, while I haven't seen issues with rollback, just wondering if you are using rollback around the time that these issues pop up. Again, stab in the dark here.

Not calling you out, just trying to understand what's going on here!

Last edited:

Macfinn99

Jun 20, 2017
Playing off of an HP Laptop and I started a new game with v.27.5 because I didn't want to miss out on any new content at beginning of game.

I don't know of this makes a difference but after a heist, some of the villains stuck around next day showing up in the window that Mercy normally occupies. I thought it was a feature and used them for a rampage to reduce threat level before proceeding with heists and captures

[EDIT : I'm gonna just erase the game and reload from the beginning to see if I had a bad download, . . . I'll let you know if it changes.]

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Which window are you referring to? And walk me through your 'click path' i.e. how you are invoking screens and such (through map locations, through Lexcon Interface, etc.).

There is an issue that I keep forgetting to address that relates to the Lexcorp Defenses, don't think that would do what you describe, but it does leave a button onscreen that I need to fix...

If you can upload a save here, I can at least try to see what you are seeing/rollback to see what you did, to a point anyways...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
SAVE please
So that you are aware, this is essentially a proof of concept playtesting situation, not a full game. So the goal here is to get people to play 0.27.5 through from the beginning and report any issues that they may encounter, in the hopes that we can find and quash bugs.

Also, other than with Hawkgirl, not a lot of sexy fun time content as of yet, as this is very much a work in progress!
;)

Wmac23

Dec 12, 2020
ok i play it i and enjoy it and got to say one thing pulls out megaphone.....PLEAES MAKE THIS INTO A FULL GAME

• Haha

Macfinn99

Jun 20, 2017
ok i play it i and enjoy it and got to say one thing pulls out megaphone.....PLEAES MAKE THIS INTO A FULL GAME
OK, Wmac23, you do realize that this project has only been in pre-development since January 15th? While I applaud your enthusiasm, this program is being put together by a couple of people who know what they're doing and less than a handful of duffers who contribute work when they can dependent on their various talents.

All told, the development of SU Re-Imagined has progressed at virtually warp speed. There is a huge amount of artwork that needs to be converted, new artwork developed, script rewrites, coding, posing and of course debugging.

You can help. Play the game from start to current progress point and report any bugs you find or improvements you can suggest. If you can help in other areas, artwork, conversion, coding, etc, . . . let OhWee know. The more help we get, the faster the development to a FULL GAME will be.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
View attachment 2737200 OhWee, I deleted previous saves and started over and ran into the problem again as soon as I upgraded the hideout to level 3
OK, so the Bizarro/Parasite/Sinestro thing was tied to the new 'initial hire dialogues'. I forgot to change level 2 to 3 when copy/pasting the code before changing the associated dialogue. Attached is a patch file for the guys, just merge the /game folder with the /game folder and it should place the three files where they need to be...

Still looking in to the other issues. Note that I haven't seen these issues on my end, and the rollback on your save file doesn't go back far enough to diagnose what's going on with Giganta, so if you could (after installing the attached patch and testing things) get me a save of the exact moment when Mercy & Tala go missing, and/or when Giganta is first hireable while still working GS Security, and the details around why she's back in the hiring pool at that point (completed heist/capture, couldn't/didn't pay retainer, etc.).

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote