[Ren'Py] SU Re-Imagined, an UNOFFICIAL Proof of Concept Ren'Py Demo - Community Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021
In SU ReImagined, there is probably a couple of hours of content currently. I'd recommend holding off for a few weeks, as I plan to get back to working on this fairly soon, at least as it relates to the latest 'special heist/mission framework' and associated special mission that I had planned.

SU Rebuilt (2) probably has a bit more content currently, and supposedly will get an update later this month.
thanks, I didn't even know there are 2 of these projects going on. what is the difference between them if you don't mind me asking?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
thanks, I didn't even know there are 2 of these projects going on. what is the difference between them if you don't mind me asking?
Mine is prettier?
:p

SU Rebuilt (2) is a more faithful attempt to port Something Unlimited over to Ren'Py, while ReImagined reworks some of the gameplay and is a bit of a 're-imagining' of the original SU game.

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
It took me longer than I wanted, but here is the latest update. Merry Christmas
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
- "Capture Heroines" you will be able to capture Batgirl, Black Canary, Huntress and Zatanna, I promise in the next update I will add all the other characters. For the other girls use the Cheat system
PC

MAC

Last edited:

Morkar

Aug 9, 2016
xMendoza

i have a bug
I have tried to do the crime of the joker of the star chemicals with shade and cheetah and when I hit it the next day it does not appear that the crime has been carried out neither with success nor failure
Therefore I have the heist option blocked since it tells me that I already have one running

Reactions: xMendoza

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
xMendoza

i have a bug
I have tried to do the crime of the joker of the star chemicals with shade and cheetah and when I hit it the next day it does not appear that the crime has been carried out neither with success nor failure
Therefore I have the heist option blocked since it tells me that I already have one running
thx i will check now

Update: thx the bug is now fixed

place these 2 files in the "game" folder

Last edited:
Reactions: Morkar

cs2468

Sep 13, 2017
In case anyone could find something useful in it, I moved the Ren'Py code and images from the Something Unlimited Android app to a .
I downloaded the newer 89 version and extracted the assets/code, and I found a Powershell command to rename multiples files to help get rid of the x- at the beginning of each file, but I dunno how to properly port them into renpy. I tried replacing the folders in this original from this post and it won't load, is there a process I should look up?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I downloaded the newer 89 version and extracted the assets/code, and I found a Powershell command to rename multiples files to help get rid of the x- at the beginning of each file, but I dunno how to properly port them into renpy. I tried replacing the folders in this original from this post and it won't load, is there a process I should look up?
We generally use any extracted code as a starting point, as we have other ideas r.e. how certain things should work. Extracted dialogue is very useful, and others have extracted that for us from previous versions. We already know how to extract any sprites that we may need.

joepe helped us with this in the past, and to be honest the latest stuff (Gotham events, etc) are still pretty far down the road as there is a lot of other stuff to port over in the first place.

There's also the official Android Ren'Py port to draw from as well.

I don't think there's a way to just use the code from Unity in Ren'Py without a lot of modification, but I'm not an expert on this, and at least for ReImagined a lot of stuff is getting reworked/modified anyways, but perhaps others might have an opinion on this.

I'm still working on other projects, so it'll be a bit longer before I tackle ReImagined again. This doesn't stop others from working on 'girl packs' as I refer to them, ReImagined is set up so that each gal has her own .rpy file for most of her stuff, but others haven't been working on these recently afaik. The idea always was that multiple people would help with this project, but people lose interest soooo...

So apologies that I can't be of much help with your effort as I'm not by any means skilled in Unity coding, but perhaps others might have a few ideas here.

rebirth095

Jul 25, 2021
It took me longer than I wanted, but here is the latest update. Merry Christmas
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
- "Capture Heroines" you will be able to capture Batgirl, Black Canary, Huntress and Zatanna, I promise in the next update I will add all the other characters. For the other girls use the Cheat system
PC

MAC
Really awesome stuff! This is probably not even a bug, just really low priority, but I noticed that when I enter the vault and click on Batgirl, clicking on the various costumes doesn't populate the screen with selectable scenes. Works for me for Black Canary, Huntress, and Zatanna, so I figured I'd just make the observation.

Once again, really great work!

I don't think there's a way to just use the code from Unity in Ren'Py without a lot of modification, but I'm not an expert on this, and at least for ReImagined a lot of stuff is getting reworked/modified anyways, but perhaps others might have an opinion on this.

I'm still working on other projects, so it'll be a bit longer before I tackle ReImagined again. This doesn't stop others from working on 'girl packs' as I refer to them, ReImagined is set up so that each gal has her own .rpy file for most of her stuff, but others haven't been working on these recently afaik. The idea always was that multiple people would help with this project, but people lose interest soooo...
I've only read back a couple pages, but it sounds like ReImagined is trying to be more of it's own thing, and not necessarily trying to recreate every scene/piece of dialogue from the original? If that's the case, it sounds like it would be easier to not necessarily try to bring over the code, and instead (since the sprites were more easily extracted), develop the story in your preferred direction and not have to be beholden to "salvaged" code? Which I personally would be all for: Some of the capture targets in the original feel very copy-pasted from each other (both in terms of personality, and how the scenes play out). I understand that making sure each character had the bare minimum same scenes was a natural outline to follow to fill out content, but it did feel like characters the original Dev wasn't a fan of got a bit short changed (might also be since the premise of having the MC be Lex limits some interactions).

BTW, some lovely quality of life changes you've done on ReImagined! Love that the map has highlighted locations (every time I come back to original SU after a while, I'm always having to scan my cursor back and forth just to remember where everything is).

Reactions: xMendoza and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Really awesome stuff! This is probably not even a bug, just really low priority, but I noticed that when I enter the vault and click on Batgirl, clicking on the various costumes doesn't populate the screen with selectable scenes. Works for me for Black Canary, Huntress, and Zatanna, so I figured I'd just make the observation.

Once again, really great work!

I've only read back a couple pages, but it sounds like ReImagined is trying to be more of it's own thing, and not necessarily trying to recreate every scene/piece of dialogue from the original? If that's the case, it sounds like it would be easier to not necessarily try to bring over the code, and instead (since the sprites were more easily extracted), develop the story in your preferred direction and not have to be beholden to "salvaged" code? Which I personally would be all for: Some of the capture targets in the original feel very copy-pasted from each other (both in terms of personality, and how the scenes play out). I understand that making sure each character had the bare minimum same scenes was a natural outline to follow to fill out content, but it did feel like characters the original Dev wasn't a fan of got a bit short changed (might also be since the premise of having the MC be Lex limits some interactions).

BTW, some lovely quality of life changes you've done on ReImagined! Love that the map has highlighted locations (every time I come back to original SU after a while, I'm always having to scan my cursor back and forth just to remember where everything is).
Short form, yes ReImagined contributors are allowed to rework scenes a bit, while staying true to the 'original formula'.

The other plan is to introduce new content. One of the things that the project needs is an 'art curator' that finds usable stuff in the Fanart thread and catalogues it for future use in ReImagined, if contributer interest should ever pick up again.

rebirth095

Jul 25, 2021
Short form, yes ReImagined contributors are allowed to rework scenes a bit, while staying true to the 'original formula'.

The other plan is to introduce new content. One of the things that the project needs is an 'art curator' that finds usable stuff in the Fanart thread and catalogues it for future use in ReImagined, if contributer interest should ever pick up again.
Unfortunately, I'm a pretty bad at drawing and only have the most rudimentary photoshop editing skills. Which is why I've mostly toyed around in pure-text endeavors (since the text to image ratio is much higher, so I can focus on something I'm better at, lol). Out of curiosity, what are the other things you're looking for to streamline the project?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm a pretty bad at drawing and only have the most rudimentary photoshop editing skills. Which is why I've mostly toyed around in pure-text endeavors (since the text to image ratio is much higher, so I can focus on something I'm better at, lol). Out of curiosity, what are the other things you're looking for to streamline the project?
Mainly we just need more girl content. Generally a good starting point is to pick a heroine that is currently lacking content and add stuff to her .rpy file, say various cell scenes and such.

I do still need to set up Meta Bordello scene routines, the plan here was to point the framework at scenes in the associated girl.rpy files for said girl. This allows contributors to customize MB scenes.

Barkin 10

Dec 27, 2016
Found a problem. I started a new game and when I first went to see Tala, I got an Exception. Ignore didn't work.
It cleared out much later but it was there.

sserobinsse

Sep 6, 2017
i do not know if it as been mention but i found a "bug" xMendoza where if you click to go to lex room you get sent to "defense" place where you can place heroines instead of lex room i suspect that it is less of a "bug" and more so that lex room does not really exist but i report it anyway just in case am wrong

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
i do not know if it as been mention but i found a "bug" xMendoza where if you click to go to lex room you get sent to "defense" place where you can place heroines instead of lex room i suspect that it is less of a "bug" and more so that lex room does not really exist but i report it anyway just in case am wrong
sorry but lex room does not exist yet

sserobinsse

Sep 6, 2017
sorry but lex room does not exist yet
yeah i suspected that was the case because the way it happened is one of the way programmers do if they want to stop users from CTD the game or program if they do stuff that is not ready yet

i would probably do something similar if i was doing something in c++ to stop users from doing any of the unfinished stuff
like in is case entering a "room" that does not yet exist

like if we take a dialogue in a game as a example lets say the users have a choose as to what sort of "favor" they can ask

1.hug
2.kiss
3.blowjob

and we have currently as the "game" version only been able to work on 1 and 2 and not yet 3
so if the users or in is case players would choose 3 if we don't put a temp dialogue option there they game would CTD when that option is chosen because it "does" not "known" what to do in that case so we make a temp dialogue that goes likes
: "really you ask for a blowjob? why not wait in till you have ales take me out on dinner first"

of course the players that choose that option when we do have work on it would need to create a new save due to "changes" to the quest line that dialogue is part of

but in the end what is the better option for the player for the game to CTD and they probably loses hours of game play due to not saving or the need to make a new save or in some cases play from a time before that quest line happens

need to add i have a very VERY basic knowledge about c++

and sorry for the wall of text

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
How do you get over Batgirl's strip? Is that an end of the progression for this version?
did you used strip 1 or 2 time? Because you need to use 2 time strip to progress

Update: thx to you i found a bug about batgirl when she is naked
I found the bug ,here is the hot fix for most of the errors that have been reported so far, thx for the help

Last edited:
Reactions: rebirth095
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote