Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

nevermoreXX

Mar 25, 2020
v2.5.5
- Indecent Desires [Vilelab] Ch6 - changed dialog box font to Ren'Py default and removed the bold style from the characters dialog (Thanks to bossapplesauce for the original dialog text filter that I just modified a bit.)
- The Awakening [SLim Games] 0.1 - removed "hardcoded" text box backgrounds and static character side images by redefining characters
The game itself needs a cleanup fix that moves in-game character definitions to the already existing characters.rpy that the dev seems to have forgotten about.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I tried to get the file but it kept saying 404 error. Then i tried my self to edit mentioned files, but it wasnt enough , background was still there even if all lines from files were removed.. so many duplicated references to it.. so at the end i ended up photoshoping file it self and deleting textures from it. gui/textures and textures2 and character icons
mod is still needed for other characters it only didnt work for mc/sis/mom

Last edited:

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I tried to get the file but it kept saying 404 error. Then i tried my self to edit mentioned files, but it wasnt enough , background was still there even if all lines from files were removed.. so many duplicated references to it.. so at the end i ended up photoshoping file it self and deleting textures from it. gui/textures and textures2 and character icons
mod is still needed for other characters it only didnt work for mc/sis/mom
Sorry, that patch is, well, was very-very old and was to be used only with the v0.1 version of the game a long-long time ago. It should not be used with any of the newer versions, because it replaces the main game script file itself. So I removed that attachment after it became outdated.

I'll remove that link from the changelog now to avoid confusion in the future.

nevermoreXX

Mar 25, 2020
Sorry, that patch is, well, was very-very old and was to be used only with the v0.1 version of the game a long-long time ago. It should not be used with any of the newer versions, because it replaces the main game script file itself. So I removed that attachment after it became outdated.

I'll remove that link from the changelog now to avoid confusion in the future.
i understand its old, 2018 i just wanted to use it as reference to see what was changed and what i missed. But its ok now, texture replacement works fine. Thanks

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
It seems I've deleted it from my computer as well. I'm guessing it was probably inside the awakening v0.1 main folder and when I deleted it, the patch went with it. Sorry.

From what I remember reading the short description in the changelog, the problem with the original game script was (and is still in some other games as well), that new character definitions were scattered around all over the script and were processed while running the game, not before it starts.
I moved those lines from those random places to the separate characters file, as original characters had been there since the beginning.

Reactions: nevermoreXX

nevermoreXX

Mar 25, 2020
It seems I've deleted it from my computer as well. I'm guessing it was probably inside the awakening v0.1 main folder and when I deleted it, the patch went with it. Sorry.

From what I remember reading the short description in the changelog, the problem with the original game script was (and is still in some other games as well), that new character definitions were scattered around all over the script and were processed while running the game, not before it starts.
I moved those lines from those random places to the separate characters file, as original characters had been there since the beginning.
Sorry for late reply :( without tag me i didnt think about checking topic :(
And yeah i encountered that problem. But it was too massive to fix. it was scattered all over the place. And then if someone uses "incest" mod on top it becomes nightmare.. so at end i just went with texture replacement.

P.S love your script
here is one very small contribution to it for game "indecent desires"

Code:
    ######### Indecent Desires - the latest version tested: v010 alpha
    ## Removing "hardcoded" #bababa color, looks very fat and hard to read
    if config.name == "Indecent Desires":
        style say_dialogue:
            size 32
        define s = Character('Sarah', color="#98279c", image="sarah")
        image side sarah neutral = "images/UI/side_sarah_neutral.png"
        define k = Character('Kate', color="#98279c", image="kate")
        image side kate neutral = "images/UI/side_kate_neutral.png"
        define m = Character('Monique', color="#98279c", image="monique")
        image side monique neutral = "images/UI/side_monique_neutral.png"
        define h = Character('[player_name]', color="#98279c", image="hero")
        image side hero neutral = "images/UI/side_hero_neutral.png"
        define j = Character('Jessica', color="#98279c", image="jessica")
        image side jessica neutral = "images/UI/side_jessica_neutral.png"
        define je = Character('Jessica', color="#98279c", image="jessica1")
        image side jessica1 neutral = "images/UI/side_jessica_neutral_a.png"
        define a = Character('Aiko', color="#98279c", image="aiko")
        image side aiko neutral = "images/UI/side_aiko_neutral.png"
        define t = Character('Trevor', color="#98279c", image="trevor")
        image side trevor neutral = "images/UI/side_trevor_neutral.png"
        define al = Character('Alexander', color="#98279c", image="alexander")
        image side alexander neutral = "images/UI/side_alexander_neutral.png"
        define kr = Character('Karina', color="#98279c", image="karina")
        image side karina neutral = "images/UI/side_karina_neutral.png"
        define l = Character('Lysa', color="#98279c", image="lysa")
        image side lysa neutral = "images/UI/side_lysa_neutral.png"
        define la = Character('Larissa', color="#98279c", image="larissa")
        image side larissa neutral = "images/UI/side_larissa_neutral.png"
        define el = Character('Elizabeth', color="#98279c", image="elizabeth1")
        image side elizabeth1 neutral = "images/UI/side_elizabeth_neutral_a.png"
        define gia = Character('Gia', color="#98279c", image="gia")
        image side gia neutral = "images/UI/side_gia_neutral.png"
        define kel = Character('Kelly', color="#98279c", image="kelly")
        image side kelly neutral = "images/UI/side_kelly_neutral.png"
        define lei = Character('Leila', color="#98279c", image="leila")
        image side leila neutral = "images/UI/side_leila_neutral.png"
        define ava = Character('Ava', color="#98279c", image="ava")
        image side ava neutral = "images/UI/side_ava_neutral.png"
        define jack = Character('Jack', color="#98279c", image="jack")
        image side jack neutral = "images/UI/side_jack_neutral.png"
        define chan = Character('Chan', color="#98279c", image="chan")
        image side chan neutral = "images/UI/side_chan_neutral.png"
        define ch = Character('Chloe', color="#98279c", image="chloe")
        image side chloe neutral = "images/UI/side_chloe_neutral.png"
        define yoon = Character('Yoon', color="#98279c", image="yoon")
        image side yoon neutral = "images/UI/side_yoon_neutral.png"
        define ai = Character('Aiko', color="#98279c", image="aiko")
        image side aiko neutral = "images/UI/side_aikon_neutral.png"
        define ivy = Character('Ivy', color="#98279c", image="ivy")
        image side ivy neutral = "images/UI/side_ivy_neutral.png"
        define mindy = Character('Mindy', color="#98279c", image="mindy")
        image side mindy neutral = "images/UI/side_mindy_neutral.png"
        define fred = Character('Fred', color="#98279c", image="fred")
        image side fred neutral = "images/UI/side_fred_neutral.png"
        define ja = Character('jane', color="#98279c", image="jane")
        image side jane neutral = "images/UI/side_jane_neutral.png"
Thanks

Reactions: Penfold Mole

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Sorry for late reply :( without tag me i didnt think about checking topic :(
No worries, I wasn't actually waiting for a reply. I thought that me not being able to help you with that old file was the end of it.
I would have tagged my post or quoted you if I were. :)

And yeah i encountered that problem. But it was too massive to fix. it was scattered all over the place. And then if someone uses "incest" mod on top it becomes nightmare.. so at end i just went with texture replacement.

P.S love your script
here is one very small contribution to it for game "indecent desires"
Thank you very much for your contribution, I will add it to the next version of the patch!
I haven't played that game since it went sandbox, so this is really helpful. (y)

Reactions: nevermoreXX

nevermoreXX

Mar 25, 2020
No worries, I wasn't actually waiting for a reply. I thought that me not being able to help you with that old file was the end of it.
I would have tagged my post or quoted you if I were. :)

Thank you very much for your contribution, I will add it to the next version of the patch!
I haven't played that game since it went sandbox, so this is really helpful. (y)
Yeah i actually deleted game. Ran into freaking rape scene and with one of ur "future" gorgeous girls no less and MC did nothing , just stood and fcking watched! Thanks but no thanks, Ruined half of my day at home because of that shit

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
This does not work properly with https://f95zone.to/threads/wvm-day-1-7-v0-7-3-braindrop.35910/? It hides the box but changes to the font are not working
I am aware of it already, but thanks for reporting anyway.

The only difference of my outlines with the outlines of this game is a 1 pixel shift to the right and down of a 2 pixel outline that creates a shadow effect as a result.

My text style is unable to override the style of this game because of the way outlines are already implemented in the game - not by the means of the dialog box text style changes, but by assigning exactly the same kind of outline separately to every character by using what_ and who_ parameters, like this:
define b = Character ("Bailey", color ="#00FF7F", who_outlines=[ (2, "#000000") ], what_outlines=[ (2, "#000000") ])
These parameters exist for the sole purpose of being able to assign different styles to different characters, but are unfortunately being (ab)used by many-many developers who are not familiar with Ren'Py's styles and keep following the same bad example that someone created somewhere a long time ago.
Most of the content in my patch is there to override and overwrite this kind of character definitions in different games that have poor color (for background transparency), obscure font, poor outline or something else assigned to characters this way. VWM currently has a pretty good unshifted outline of 2 pixels that hasn't bothered me enough to create a section in my patch for its cleaned up character definitions. (read: I'm a lazy slacker :sneaky:)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Reactions: Sidfloyd

SamHaim

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for this mod, I use it all the time. Any chance on getting it to work with Star Channel 34?

https://f95zone.to/threads/star-channel-34-ep-10-akabur.1391/

Code:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 60: u'style_prefix' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the hbox statement.
    style_prefix "quick"
                ^

File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 176: u'style_prefix' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the screen statement.
    style_prefix "choice"
                ^

File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 303: u'style_prefix' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the screen statement.
    style_prefix "choice"
                ^

File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 493: u'style_prefix' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the screen statement.
    style_prefix "say"
                ^

File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 708: style property padding is not known.
    padding gui.namebox_borders.padding
           ^

File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 716: u'style_prefix' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the vbox statement.
    style_prefix "quick"
                ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.18.3.761

Reactions: Penfold Mole

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thanks for this mod, I use it all the time. Any chance on getting it to work with Star Channel 34?

https://f95zone.to/threads/star-channel-34-ep-10-akabur.1391/

Looks like that game is built on an almost 6 years old Ren'Py version, which is ancient compared to the modern Ren'Py and missing loads of features and apparently also all default Ren'Py styles that my patch was made to modify. Why the hell would anyone in the right mind still use this old software is beyond me. :unsure:

Even if I would be able to find time to search through its configuration, It's highly unlikely that my patch would still work on such an old Ren'Py version and I have no intention to create a separate patch, that would work on long time outdated Ren'Py.

No chance, no way.

It would be easier to modify the game itself to remove the background and maybe add outlines to text.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamHaim

SamHaim

Aug 23, 2019
Looks like that game is built on an almost 6 years old Ren'Py version, which is ancient compared to the modern Ren'Py and missing loads of features and apparently also all default Ren'Py styles that my patch was made to modify. Why the hell would anyone in the right mind still use this old software is beyond me. :unsure:

Even if I would be able to find time to search through its configuration, It's highly unlikely that my patch would still work on such an old Ren'Py version and I have no intention to create a separate patch, that would work on long time outdated Ren'Py.

No chance, no way.

It would be easier to modify the game itself to remove the background and maybe add outlines to text.
Thanks for the detailed response. That's really surprising to hear, maybe Akabur doesn't think the newer version offer anything useful to him, who know.

Phlexxx

Oct 24, 2019
Can this be coded into a game from the beginning by a developer?

If this question has been answered, I apologize, I must have missed it.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes