botka4aet

Jan 13, 2022
The Link doesn't work
You know site
Now you just need correct link
Find by yourself
You'd be surprised. Game development is not like programming. You don't always get to know the domain of your input. And even if you do, that might change as the game changes.
But it is
If you don't know exact number - you don't limit it
You invite all your friends but don't know - who will come
You don't bring only 4 chairs - you bring as many as can

• Angry
Reactions: geamoiri

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
But it is
If you don't know exact number - you don't limit it
You invite all your friends but don't know - who will come
You don't bring only 4 chairs - you bring as many as can
That was my point.

I should also mention that predetermined size is a bad idea in this particular case. While good for reads and jumps, you don't want a case where you'll need to constantly resize the limited array as that will, usually, quickly overshadow and performance gains. And since we don't know the max size of all possible events (now and in the future), nor do we want to pre-set an absurdly large size for all eternity, it's better to stick with an expand-able array for now.

mbRjpZLD

Apr 28, 2017
python and renpy is fast enough on any modern system.
If a Renpy game is slow it is due to shitty programming.

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
python and renpy is fast enough on any modern system.
If a Renpy game is slow it is due to shitty programming.
*sigh* I wish. Don't you think it's weird that an engine that just moves images flat 2D images around, something humanity has been doing since the late 1990's (namely, Japanese hentai dating sim games. Think Jast USA, Season of Sakura/Nocturnal Illusion.), during the windows 97~windows 2000 days *needs* a *modern* system to run fast enough?

Python is a slow language. It's anywhere from 20~50x slower than C++. From 10~15x slower than node.js. Even around 3x slower than PHP7.

I've seen many renpy games that try to be just a little ambitious start choking even on modern systems. Like The Null Hypothesis. Just a spinning background, a GUI and 1 character on screen can kick up the GPU fan. I can write a javascript and css webpage that can render/animate the same image with less cpu/gpu power. Don't you think that's odd?

Last edited:

Semondemon

Engaged Member
Mar 9, 2018
saves not working in 1.53c. Any workarounds?
If joiplay uninstall (lol). if main game you cant use android saves back and forth only pc to android i noticed (so move your pc saves onto the android device it will work in moat cases). If neither are yer issue then just start over dude.

RiloLaki

May 16, 2022
I don't really care for Python either. If I were making a VN with any kind of extra flair I'd probably go with Unity or Godot + Ink.
Or develop your own "engine" (using C++ or something) so if you decide to commercialize you don't have to worry about licensing, or the makers of the backend ""not appreciating"" your content, or the inherent issues that can crop-up by using open source/freeware...

Gah, been forever since I even looked at programming. And my brain is too old and too riddled with depression to want to bother with it ever again. So here's more subject related artwork!

Before anyone says "no stripe"...just imagine that the stripe is a little lower...
1725477921561.png

Itty Bitty Kitty Ti-uhhh...
1725478035524.png

So...this is Wang Chung, right? Because everybody's Wang Chunging tonight...
1725478082471.png

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Or develop your own "engine" (using C++ or something) so if you decide to commercialize you don't have to worry about licensing, or the makers of the backend ""not appreciating"" your content, or the inherent issues that can crop-up by using open source/freeware...
I've been interested in godot because you can use C++ with it. It's also under the MIT (expat) license so commercialization isn't a problem. If I recall, it's what Dittymyman was using to remake this game before life also slapped him in the face (As in, life recently slapped me in the face for my dev plans).

Reactions: RiloLaki

mbRjpZLD

Apr 28, 2017
*sigh* I wish. Don't you think it's weird that an engine that just moves images flat 2D images around, something humanity has been doing since the late 1990's (namely, Japanese hentai dating sim games. Think Jast USA, Season of Sakura/Nocturnal Illusion.), during the windows 97~windows 2000 days *needs* a *modern* system to run fast enough?

Python is a slow language. It's anywhere from 20~50x slower than C++. From 10~15x slower than node.js. Even around 3x slower than PHP7.

I've seen many renpy games that try to be just a little ambitious start choking even on modern systems. Like The Null Hypothesis. Just a spinning background, a GUI and 1 character on screen can kick up the GPU fan. I can write a javascript and css webpage that can render/animate the same image with less cpu/gpu power. Don't you think that's odd?
I have read the Null Hypothesis code and yes that is actually exactly what I meant with shitty programming. I am not surprised it is slow and it just proves my point.

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
I have read the Null Hypothesis code and yes that is actually exactly what I meant with shitty programming. I am not surprised it is slow and it just proves my point.
If you're reading the code for The Hypothesis, that means you missed my point. But sure, think whatever you like. The stats are there for people to read. The empirical evidence is there for everyone to read. If you want to blame a slow car on the fact it's designed by GM and ignore the fact that it's tires are blown out, the gears are rusted over and it hasn't had an oil change in 30 years, that's your freedom.

Jainus

Nov 13, 2017
Something that's always had me curious is the dialogue option for asking the various girls to not mess around with the other girls, but as long as I've given this game a shot, I have not once triggered a lesbian scene that wasn't otherwise orchestrated via threesome. Am I missing something?

The Al

Dec 22, 2017
Something that's always had me curious is the dialogue option for asking the various girls to not mess around with the other girls, but as long as I've given this game a shot, I have not once triggered a lesbian scene that wasn't otherwise orchestrated via threesome. Am I missing something?
Yes. If you don't tell them not to hook up with other girls, you'll sometimes get texts from one of the girls telling you they were messing around with one of the others and ask if you want to come over. I'm sure it's stat-related, but I don't know the trigger for sure

Reactions: Jainus
4.40 star(s) 154 Votes