4.70 star(s) 12 Votes

archipote

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2021
I've seen way too many games die because the devs took criticism like this to heart and then started packing their game with unnecessary mechanics. (Miss you, Proteus Effect!)

A "game" is any entertainment that provides participants with a challenge with variable outcomes. And yes, the "challenge" can be as simple as figuring how how to minimize the time spent reaching the payoff (e.g., an event hunt), and missing an event can count as a variable outcome.

Another thing to keep in mind is that adult games are a different genre from mainstream games, very similar to how romantic comedies are different from war movies.
  • Mainstream games are focused on the challenge. The rewards are not the point of winning football matches or beating levels in an FPS or running raids in an MMO for a +1 upgrade. The journey is the reward in those games. Just like in a war movie, where "peace" or "victory" are claimed to be the point but get like ten seconds of discussion at the end of the movie.
  • Adult games are about payoffs, and thus delaying gratification. (I think a game like Karryn's Prison is the rare exception -- the challenge is adult content -- that proves how consistent the rule otherwise is.) As with a romantic comedy, the audience is there to watch a predictable outcome take shape; the challenges along the way are just a delay in gratification.
Different genres, but still a game or movie.

So I'd encourage the dev to keep up with their event hunt game. Delaying gratification as much as the payoff permits is all the genre requires. Sure, games have used many ways to delay gratification -- grinding stats, requiring replays due to false paths/gameovers, tests of skill, etc. -- but exploring is perfectly valid.
I very much share your vision of things, and I won't deny that this first chapter is very messy, however the only thing I can say is that indeed, a game that rewards through exploration can be a viable game, and that this was my vision from the start.

However, I don't consider my game to be a "cg hunt", since despite everything, I'm trying to encourage the player to have a game experience as much as an ERO experience (and this will be felt even more in the next update, which will include a shitload more rewarding mini-games, still in line with the "nogrind" policy of course), BUT yes, the game is very openly a game that want to tells an adventure.

And because of this, I understand that players (especially those like in the post quoted who don't buy into the humor and writing and skip everything ) may feel an unpleasant sensation of having to walk to the next scene to jerk off, and nothing else.

100% understandable, but even though I may have lost my way a little over the last few months, now I'm simply trying to avoid trying to please everyone and do what I and those who have already enjoyed this first update would like to see.

However, I sincerely hope to see you all again for the next update, and I'm already looking forward to reading your feedback and critics about it!

I'm currently working very hard to get things finished as quickly as possible, and I even have an excellent friend who is helping me a LOT with the visual part of the game, making this update much prettier than the first one! Can't wait for y'all to see it

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I disagree completely that adult games are about delaying gratification. I believe that they are about rewarding successful derision-making, just like mainstream games, except that the reward comes in the form of adult images/animations/whatever rather than XP and the completion of quests. Some adult games have XP and quests, but the player isn't motivated to seek them out except in pursuit of H scenes (mostly; there are some adult games that are just standard games with some adult spice added).

Delaying gratification is, in my view, the author being lazy and just adding grind to make the game seem longer without any additional effort on the dev's part.

In my view, the start of this game (as of the time I played it) wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been because the player wasn't given any real guidance except to keep trying to talk to people in the hopes that they will randomly encounter the one person that can advance their corruption. Later, it becomes more guided and thus more enjoyable, because the player can make informed choices rather than random ones.

Reactions: archipote

ggfg225

Jul 14, 2023
How do you raise your lust above level 5 after doing the first quest and talking to all of the people in the town? Am I just soft locked?

Last edited:

ggfg225

Jul 14, 2023
Did you finished the first quest, after leaving the city?
I got to the point where I met the princess girl and she told the MCs about exhibitionism. I wasn't able to access any of the erotic events around the world because I was 1 level too low.

archipote

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2021
is there any expected release date for the next update?
Hey ! Nope. The update is REALLY well advanced by now, but i'm currently not working on it and i won't for another week or two, since i'm taken by something else. When i'll be back on the dev by mid december, i think i'll end it in two weeks? That's my guess. Sure after that i'll have to translate it in english, since i write in french for convenience, and there's quite a lot of words, but i'm confident it won't take that much longer !

RandomMilf

Oct 20, 2019
I disagree completely that adult games are about delaying gratification. I believe that they are about rewarding successful derision-making, just like mainstream games, except that the reward comes in the form of adult images/animations/whatever rather than XP and the completion of quests. Some adult games have XP and quests, but the player isn't motivated to seek them out except in pursuit of H scenes (mostly; there are some adult games that are just standard games with some adult spice added).

Delaying gratification is, in my view, the author being lazy and just adding grind to make the game seem longer without any additional effort on the dev's part.

In my view, the start of this game (as of the time I played it) wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been because the player wasn't given any real guidance except to keep trying to talk to people in the hopes that they will randomly encounter the one person that can advance their corruption. Later, it becomes more guided and thus more enjoyable, because the player can make informed choices rather than random ones.

I mean it depends on what the developer is trying to achieve, there are no wrong answers only wrong implementations.

A game could be about delaying gratification, where the author wants their game to take a more realistic approach, and thus, the process to court one of the characters is slow and methodical. This can work if the progress, or grind, is in itself engaging.
A game could be about allowing the player to do whatever they want, maybe they'll be lost in the first few minutes, but if explorations and freedom is what the developer's goal, that's a path they can take.

Basically, how there are no hard rules in writing a story, there are no hard laws on developing a game.

In order for a game to be enjoyable the player themselves needs to put in some effort, and because it's erotic games, most people don't put in any, or at least nowhere near as much as regular games. This is unfortunate, but it's something developers should take in consideration when developing their game.

So, when a player puts in no effort on a game, that isn't the developers fault, just as in if the game is too complicated, or too convoluted, it isn't the players fault if they drop it.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: archipote

archipote

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2021
Any news?
Currently working on another game (bigger one, on another engine) for 2-3 months now, sorry i forgot to notify you guys here ! The game isn't abandoned, I just wanted to work on this project since i have a lot of free time now that i'm not working.

I don't think i'll have another chance in my life to work as much on a game as i can now, since at one point i'll have to take a job, so that's why i decided to work really hard on this new game that i really wanted to make before returning (and finishing) Roselake's Lobelia.

Thanks a lot for your patience guys, and i hope to see y'all again on my new game AND on the next chapter of Roselake's Lobelia !

4.70 star(s) 12 Votes