ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Hmm on different note:

1724601321050.png

I feel like blocking the player from choosing that Esther on timid track isn't yet ready to jump on a cock of a guy she met for the first time literally few hours earlier, merely because her inhibition isn't sky-high, is a bad call here, in terms of agency and role-playing. It should be rather the other way around: the "Not Quite" option to always be enabled, and the "Absolutely!" to become enabled if her inhibition is low enough for Esther to go with the flow and allow it.

edit: also, for some reason the timid track skips the gs_construction_start sequence? It doesn't make much sense and prevents the player from getting closer with Tre'Vohr and/or Jules, plus miss out on what's simple, neutral content.

edit2: also also, choosing "Absolutely!" in the mentioned sequence produces a crash:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/scripts/chapter_03/ch03_act07/script_es9.rpy", line 317, in script
    $ first_time.grant()
  File "game/scripts/chapter_03/ch03_act07/script_es9.rpy", line 317, in <module>
    $ first_time.grant()
NameError: name 'first_time' is not defined

Last edited:

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Hmm on different note:

View attachment 3966564

I feel like blocking the player from choosing that Esther on timid track isn't yet ready to jump on a cock of a guy she met for the first time literally few hours earlier, merely because her inhibition isn't sky-high, is a bad call here, in terms of agency and role-playing. It should be rather the other way around: the "Not Quite" option to always be enabled, and the "Absolutely!" to become enabled if her inhibition is low enough for Esther to go with the flow and allow it.
I just ctrl-skipped through to confirm an impression and the only way to get the required inhibition to unlock the "Not quite..." option seems to be if Esther refuses absolutely everything she encounters. If she steps back from everything and does as Titus says in court she can keep her inhibition as high as 45, I think. The option currently requires inhibition above 42.

(On my playthrough, where Esther isn't scared to speak in public or beholden to Titus, but rejects Will's creepery as far as possible, she's sitting at 40.)

Reversing the requirements so the top option required inhibition below something fairly easily attainable (40-ish?) seems like it would make more sense.

edit: also, for some reason the timid track skips the gs_construction_start sequence? It doesn't make much sense and prevents the player from getting closer with Tre'Vohr and/or Jules, plus miss out on what's simple, neutral content.
Yeah, I wondered if there was a reason we skipped past that section. Didn't seem like anything path-specific at a glance (but admittedly I didn't read it closely or see the renders so maybe I missed something).

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Yeah, I wondered if there was a reason we skipped past that section. Didn't seem like anything path-specific at a glance (but admittedly I didn't read it closely or see the renders so maybe I missed something).
As far as i can tell (and i've been paying attention given this weird exclusion) there's nothing in the scene and/or the renders that couldn't be included in the timid track. The next sequence (cass_saturna) has a minor text variation where Esther on timid track will express regret she "couldn't be there" with others, so this is apparently intentional, but for the life of me i can't figure out the purpose of such pathing variation. It makes timid track really short in this act, with skipping three major sequences (jonquil makeover, construction and anal play)

The game doesn't follow some strict calendar, so it'd be easy for the timid track to play dinner-construction_start (on the next day)-saturna (on yet next day) vs training-jonquil-construction_start-anal_play-saturna (on next day) on the fast track.

Reactions: gregers

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Reversing the requirements so the top option required inhibition below something fairly easily attainable (40-ish?) seems like it would make more sense.
Getting back to this for a moment, i feel like this plot beat could use some reconsideration in general -- for Esther on timid track, this is seemingly start of plot arc where she gets opportunity to spy on Titus and find out about his wrongdoings. This would be like, a perfect excuse for timid Esther, instructed/ordered by her trainers, to push herself out of her comfort zone and try to get Titus's nephew (a potential source of info) interested in her with increasingly employed "feminine wiles" she's expected to use as a spy.

But what we get is basically jumping the gun and blowing all that potential tension/struggle right at the start. I mean, they already went as far as fucked, so there's now pretty much nothing for Esther to get still inhibited about, while trying to pursue the guy. Or to tease/lure the guy with for this matter -- he's instead already trying to extricate himself from her in the morning after, since he got all he wanted from her.

I can only guess the game has something different planned with the setup we got instead.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Getting back to this for a moment, i feel like this plot beat could use some reconsideration in general -- for Esther on timid track, this is seemingly start of plot arc where she gets opportunity to spy on Titus and find out about his wrongdoings. This would be like, a perfect excuse for timid Esther, instructed/ordered by her trainers, to push herself out of her comfort zone and try to get Titus's nephew (a potential source of info) interested in her with increasingly employed "feminine wiles" she's expected to use as a spy.

But what we get is basically jumping the gun and blowing all that potential tension/struggle right at the start. I mean, they already went as far as fucked, so there's now pretty much nothing for Esther to get still inhibited about, while trying to pursue the guy. Or to tease/lure the guy with for this matter -- he's instead already trying to extricate himself from her in the morning after, since he got all he wanted from her.

I can only guess the game has something different planned with the setup we got instead.
Yeah, I don't know where the dev sees this path going, given its beginnings. What you describe could be an option, but if so it's off to an odd start: It seems more like the complete opposite, Tristan manipulating Esther, who jumps on his dick at the first opportunity.

But I suppose it's also a matter of perspective and how you read situations: The game describes this as Esther's "timid" path whereas I consider it her brave path, where she has the backbone to think for herself and reject at least some of Will and Jonquil's bullshit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ffive

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
But I suppose it's also a matter of perspective and how you read situations: The game descibes this as Esther's "timid" path whereas I consider it her brave path, where she has the backbone to think for herself and reject at least some of Will and Jonquil's bullshit.
I refer to that path as timid mostly based on the "inhibition" variable. That is, i interpret it as Esther being more reluctant to put herself "out there" and engage in activities her mother has taught her to avoid. But you certainly have a point that it's like, the opposite of timid in terms of being willing to put her foot down and tell pushy creepy people "no, fuck off".

Incidentally, it's also pretty funny that the "brave" Esther on fast track is at most giving her sex instructor she's known for weeks at this point a blowjob, while supposedly "timid" Esther just out of a blue goes and bangs a guy she's known for couple hours.

• Haha

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Incidentally, it's also pretty funny that the "brave" Esther on fast track is at most giving her sex instructor she's known for weeks at this point a blowjob, while supposedly "timid" Esther just out of a blue goes and bangs a guy she's known for couple hours.
I would have liked more player choice in the matter, but at least appreciate that "timid" Esther fucks a guy out of the blue because she decides she wants to, rather than just "bravely" doing what she's told.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
:oops:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I missed this response earlier, but think it should be noted that what Jonquil and Bruno are doing is specifically high treason, which is the sort of thing that used to get people drawn and quartered. Those of Bruno's gang who can reasonably claim not to be aware of Brigitte's identity might get away with a clean hanging.

Wen'Deh might yet redeem herself in a future chapter I suppose, but for now all she has to fall back on is the Nürnberg defense, which hasn't been uniformly successful historically.

Of course this is a fantasy world, and it's up to you to decide if you want to make it less violent than the real world. That's fine if so, not every story needs to wallow in blood, but it's not the impression I get from how ubiquitous war and death (and the trauma they cause) have been thematically in the story so far.

On an entirely different note, I'll admit that I lost it a bit at "Ke'Vihn". The Elvish names are generally very silly, but fair play, that one did get me.

Last edited:

torrents

dl.rpdl.net
Donor
Feb 23, 2023
RoyalSwitch-0.10.1
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.​

4.10 star(s) 12 Votes