rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
It's easy to understand. Problem is it's unreasonable.

Regarding request for connection to the F95 database: If you're talking about the SSO proposal, I think you're misconstruing it. SSO can be implemented with complete protection of user privacy (which is ostensibly the concern). And framing the situation as "allowing them to advertise" makes it seem like their intentions are purely or primarily selfish. Maybe, but personally I'd like to see some justification for such suspicion.

As for the possibility of them changing their setup after acceptance, that would be easily solved by revoking the acceptance. Acceptance has been revoked before due to chicanery. And I just don't see how compromising would be construed as endorsement and/or partnership.

At the end of the day, it appears all the reasons given for not accepting them are speculative. And based on these speculations they set a policy ostensibly for our benefit. They have every right to do so of course, but it's damn arrogant if you ask me.
You're basically agreeing with me. With this torrent site, F95 has the very same risk than with any other host, so why would they be treated any different. I see it's coherent. F95 set rules for approving hosts (none of the approved hosts need login nor direct connection to F95), and this torrent site is asking F95 to bend their rules and cut them some slack because 'hey mate, we are the good ones'. Which they might be, but always from F95's pov, is it really worth the risk -and the hassle? Could this torrent site even exist without the ordinary links provided here and all the traffic/seeders they get from here? So the ones who actually need the bigger site are asking this site to modify its rules for them. What are they offering in exchange? Just providing an alternative method to traditional download links- links that work reasonably well enough for a vast majority of site users. That's not arrogance, it's a practical approach.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Is that hard to ask for some uploader positions within F95 and offer your seeds directly from the OP, with links that will only be seen by F95 users, without sending them to sign up on any other website? I don't think F95 staff's stance is that hard to understand: you're asking them to let you (a third party) either to connect your site to F95 database to share users login, or to allow you to advertise an external site for downloading pirated games your seeders first found in here. Since they can not be sure you won't change your theoretically optimal service once you get what you are asking for, thus dragging F95's reputation down with you (they would be endorsing and partnering with you, not just 'using' your service), they are just asking you to act the same way regular hosts do: letting everyone download the files uploaded there, without needing an account. If you feel busted by those other websites that use your links and want to protect your "product"... well, welcome to piracy world.
SSO isn't anything like that, please don't just assume things.

Also we don't run any advertisements?

If you've any questions about what we do just ask, I'd ask you though not to just assume things or spread lies.

You're basically agreeing with me. With this torrent site, F95 has the very same risk than with any other host, so why would they be treated any different. I see it's coherent. F95 set rules for approving hosts (none of the approved hosts need login nor direct connection to F95), and this torrent site is asking F95 to bend their rules and cut them some slack because 'hey mate, we are the good ones'. Which they might be, but always from F95's pov, is it really worth the risk -and the hassle? Could this torrent site even exist without the ordinary links provided here and all the traffic/seeders they get from here? So the ones who actually need the bigger site are asking this site to modify its rules for them. What are they offering in exchange? Just providing an alternative method to traditional download links- links that work reasonably well enough for a vast majority of site users. That's not arrogance, it's a practical approach.
We've been surviving just fine without f95 the last few months. I don't really get what you're trying to achieve here, it feels like you just wandered into the thread but you don't really understand or have taken the time to understand things. If you've questions just ask. You're making a lot of assumptions and it'd be easier to just answer any questions you have instead of debate you on every random point.

Reactions: moskyx

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
most of the hosts are useless for me as the downloadspeed for a free users goes into the kilobyte section. mega needs registration to be used properly. i can only bypass that with the software jdownloader2.

right now f95 isnt that far off to websites like svs anymore. apart from their website being a chaotic mess ofc.

Reactions: n0cn1l

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
A warning doesn't help either, the fact that there are suspicions is enough to warrant a ban.
What suspicions?

The one thing I've done that could be misconstrued as in bad taste was when I was using a script created by an f95zone user to bundle Ren'Py games all into one release. IE - one zip contains windows/mac/linux.
I stopped doing it before Christmas because the amount of mac users was like, 1-2% of people and it wasn't worth the backlash I was getting.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
What suspicions?

The one thing I've done that could be misconstrued as in bad taste was when I was using a script created by an f95zone user to bundle Ren'Py games all into one release. IE - one zip contains windows/mac/linux.
I stopped doing it before Christmas because the amount of mac users was like, 1-2% of people and it wasn't worth the backlash I was getting.
In the hypothetical case where we would add a "this is suspicious, proceed at your own peril" warning, as proposed by the user.

But if you must know, it's because you and your site are outsiders doing things that break our rules.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
In the hypothetical case where we would add a "this is suspicious, proceed at your own peril" warning, as proposed by the user.

But if you must know, it's because you and your site are outsiders doing things that break our rules.
Are you referring to something other than registration?

Would be great if you could just be straight instead of constantly being vague.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Please tell me this doesn't boil down to "You unknowingly broke a rule, so that's suspicion enough for us to refuse to even consider bending that rule."

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017

Hypothetically speaking, evil tongues could be tempted to claim that this violates the unwritten rule after all the drama here. Which is "schitty hosters pay one or the other member in the stuff a shitload of money so that their products are used and nothing changes for the better".

So, purely hypothetically speaking...

Reactions: Daxter250

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
I don't really get what you're trying to achieve here, it feels like you just wandered into the thread but you don't really understand or have taken the time to understand things. If you've questions just ask. You're making a lot of assumptions and it'd be easier to just answer any questions you have instead of debate you on every random point.
That's basically it, sorry for any inconvenience. I was bored and just found your discussion amusing but you're right I have no fucking clue what is this all about, besides that it really seems you wanted your site to be granted a special treatment nobody else seems to be getting, just because you're allegedly offering something that worths it -although not enough to their eyes. I'm out, and please excuse me again, it wasn't my intention to spread any misinformation but just to state why it's not that weird that F95 staff won't hear your pretensions. Good luck with your project.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017

Currently? Yes, though I have not checked your service since it closed besides checking that one free torrent you made for a dev.

Please tell me this doesn't boil down to "You unknowingly broke a rule, so that's suspicion enough for us to refuse to even consider bending that rule."
Definitely not unknowningly, we talked before that the links would no longer be allowed after the service was closed.

Hypothetically speaking, evil tongues could be tempted to claim that this violates the unwritten rule after all the drama here. Which is "schitty hosters pay one or the other member in the stuff a shitload of money so that their products are used and nothing changes for the better".

So, purely hypothetically speaking...
If we wanted to monetize anything, we would use K2S, they offered premium accounts for uploader+ and a cut of the cake.

Truth is much simpler: we have guidelines, if a host meets them - it's approved, if it doesn't - it's not approved.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
That's basically it, sorry for any inconvenience. I was bored and just found your discussion amusing but you're right I have no fucking clue what is this all about, besides that it really seems you wanted your site to be granted a special treatment nobody else seems to be getting, just because you're allegedly offering something that worths it -although not enough to their eyes. I'm out, and please excuse me again, it wasn't my intention to spread any misinformation but just to state why it's not that weird that F95 staff won't hear your pretensions. Good luck with your project.
Hey, it's all good. To offer a super quick explanation, we create torrents and we accept donations. With these donations we rent a bunch of servers so we can offer a few things. 1) the torrents are fast, 2) the torrents are permanent. It also allows us to do things like not run ads or experiment with cool open-source stuff.

The accounts thing is a measure we took to protect our users and our network. Fundamentally, it's not right for us to provide bandwidth to third-party sites which was heavily abused when the torrents were public. Having accounts solves that.

The only issue is moderators here don't like it, but that's also fine because we're instead just going to go above them to the Administrators and they can decide once and for all. We've waited and been patient and at this stage, we just want a yes or no because we need to plan ahead too. If admins say yes, great, users here get an alternative download option that they can rely on. If admins say no, that's fine too - we're going to continue doing what we're doing regardless.

For what it's worth, you're right too. The ideal solution is granting us an exemption. It's win/win for everyone involved. Staff get a filehost handed to them on a plate, users get a torrent option and we get to push more bandwidth.

Currently? Yes, though I have not checked your service since it closed besides checking that one free torrent you made for a dev.
Wow, didn't expect you to admit to something like that. I dunno what to say, maybe check it before you decide on an opinion/stance?

I'm actually kinda speechless.

Just forget the whole thing to be honest. If you'd have stated this at the start you'd have saved both of us a bunch of time because there's no point in me arguing our case for something you haven't even bothered to look at. If anyone wants the reason why I reached out to the Admins, it's because of stuff like this.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Wow, didn't expect you to admit to something like that. I dunno what to say, maybe check it before you decide on an opinion/stance?

I'm actually kinda speechless.

Just forget the whole thing to be honest. If you'd have stated this at the start you'd have saved both of us a bunch of time because there's no point in me arguing our case for something you haven't even bothered to look at. If anyone wants the reason why I reached out to the Admins, it's because of stuff like this.
Should we? Have you started tampering and modifying releases again? As far as we are concerned the end of the line for the files was at the registration.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Should we? Have you started tampering and modifying releases again? As far as we are concerned the end of the line for the files was at the registration.
I'd have expected you to look at something before making a decision on it redknight yes. That's how people make decisions.

If you're in the position to make decisions for a community, it's the absolute least you should do.

Does the other staff know you make decisions without actually checking stuff? Does Sam know?

What other decisions have you made without actually looking into it?

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
With this torrent site, F95 has the very same risk than with any other host, so why would they be treated any different. I see it's coherent. F95 set rules for approving hosts (none of the approved hosts need login nor direct connection to F95), and this torrent site is asking F95 to bend their rules and cut them some slack because 'hey mate, we are the good ones'.
The site was created by and for F95 users, the owner/operator is active on these forums, and has offered to share just about everything about the site with F95 staff. Writing it off as just another host is completely disingenuous.

Which they might be, but always from F95's pov, is it really worth the risk -and the hassle?
There is no hassle involved in bending a rule. As for the risks to F95, the ones I've seen proposed don't seem to be founded in reason.

Could this torrent site even exist without the ordinary links provided here and all the traffic/seeders they get from here? So the ones who actually need the bigger site are asking this site to modify its rules for them.
You're presuming that self-interest is the primary motivation of both parties. If I thought that was true of the staff, I wouldn't be wasting my breath here. And obviously I don't think that's true of the site.

What are they offering in exchange? Just providing an alternative method to traditional download links- links that work reasonably well enough for a vast majority of site users. That's not arrogance, it's a practical approach.
If it's not obvious what they're offering users, I don't know what to say. Other than to reiterate my belief that users ought to be consulted. If you're asking what they are offering the staff, again I can only hope that's not what this comes down to.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Have you started tampering and modifying releases again?
I find it interesting that Modders and Game Compressors are an official batch here, where they change the game, of course not in "malicious" intent, but nevertheless it change the game.
If you trust them with their changes, then I think that a "simple" change to make a Ren'py game playable on all three platforms is in the same league.

You can argument over this and rpdl's behaviour on this, but he hasn't hidden the change on his torrents.

For the sake of an actually working download option (in regard to file size and speed) I'm simple begging you (the staff of this site), as one of the millions of users here, to consider rpdl's torrents and find a soultion both site can life with it. I don't think that F95 DDL would be an alternative as fast file servers aren't cheap (we know from Nopy) and I'm assuming that the targeted audience of DDL isn't the whole 4.7 million user that are currently registered here.

Reactions: n0cn1l

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Have you started tampering and modifying releases again?
Can you elaborate on this? Has their "tampering and modifying" been proven to be dangerous or malicious? If not, how does it differ from user-created compressed versions and the like?

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
I'd have expected you to look at something before making a decision on it redknight yes. That's how people make decisions.

If you're in the position to make decisions for a community, it's the absolute least you should do.

Does the other staff know you make decisions without actually checking stuff? Does Sam know?

What other decisions have you made without actually looking into it?
I looked into it, and it had in fact a registration requirement, what else is there to it? We never made complaints about the content since you stopped modifying releases.

Also, decisions are made collectively, you know that, how many of us have you talked with in tickets and pms?

The site was created by and for F95 users, the owner/operator is active on these forums, and has offered to share just about everything about the site with F95 staff. Writing it off as just another host is completely disingenuous.
It is just another host, and like many are owned by active 'zone users.

I find it interesting that Modders and Game Compressors are an official batch here, where they change the game, of course not in "malicious" intent, but nevertheless it change the game.
If you trust them with their changes, then I think that a "simple" change to make a Ren'py game playable on all three platforms is in the same league.

You can argument over this and rpdl's behaviour on this, but he hasn't said hidden it.

For the sake of an actually working download option (in regard to file size and speed) I'm simple begging you (the staff of this site) to consider it and find a soultion both site can life with it. I don't think that F95 DDL would be an alternative as fast file servers aren't cheap (we know from Nopy) and I'm assuming that the targeted audience of DDL isn't the whole 4.7 million user that are currently registered here.
Can you elaborate on this? Has their "tampering and modifying" been proven to be dangerous or malicious? If not, how does it differ from user-created compressed versions and the like?
Compressors actually the tools made by us, modders have to be certified before they post, tampering with files had no reason to be since it did not add anything and only caused issues.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I looked into it, and it had in fact a registration requirement, what else is there to it? We never made complaints about the content since you stopped modifying releases.

Also, decisions are made collectively, you know that, how many of us have you talked with in tickets and pms?
A shockingly low amount actually, you Sam and Monroe answered an off topic question.

Want me to create an account for you so you can check the content? I understand you've a fear of registrations so I'll take care of it, I'll PM you the password?