rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
As is somewhat tradition, my "christmas" post which became my "new years post" has arrived right on time, on the 7th January.

I'll just copy paste what I pinged on Discord to make things easier:
So, as for your new late year post. I thank all of you for your hard work., same goes to all who help the project. I myself have seen little use in torrents as long as we had the amazing Nopy download service - RIP. Yet, with it gone, rpdl's torrent is/was the thing that came nearest to Nopy.
So to end and to stole some devs words:

Stay awesome:love:

Last edited:

Frankinstein

Oct 28, 2022
question .. my game always crashes in time in the middle of this scene because of this I can't attach the game because it always crashes ... what should I do because of this ? I downloaded it from the site f95zone well, on this site I mean and I play on android .. can you help me somehow?

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
question .. my game always crashes in time in the middle of this scene because of this I can't attach the game because it always crashes ... what should I do because of this ? I downloaded it from the site f95zone well, on this site I mean and I play on android .. can you help me somehow?
You should ask this question in the game thread for the game, posting a screenshot without even a name or a chrashlog from the game you are playing at the moment is kind of...

... suboptimal...

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
My apologies to our users that were using the magnet links, unfortunately I've had to remove them from the frontend. I'll explain why:

Magnets don't really work well with private trackers, in fact they barely work at all.
From my own findings, it seemed to be a coinflip and yes, while it did work for probably 50% of people, the fact that it didn't work for the other 50% of people means we should have just disabled them months ago. Simple fact is it's better to have one option that's reliable, than a secondary option that barely works.

Frankly, we've no idea how many people tried our torrents, chose the magnet and then had a bad time and never came back.

They'll still be available over the torrust API if you've a custom solution, I've also reached out to WillyJL (developer of F95Checker) to keep him in the loop. If things change in the future and magnets work better, we'll revisit it but until then, it's just not worth the headaches they cause users.

• Sad
Reactions: LightmanP

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Did you improve the connection speeds? I hit 70 MB/s today.
I would not say, that would be an improvement, I had such speed with the torrent a few times. I rather think, that it is more who use the network and who currently are connected to it and help out.

Reactions: loverloverlover

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Did you improve the connection speeds? I hit 70 MB/s today.
I would not say, that would be an improvement, I had such speed with the torrent a few times. I rather think, that it is more who use the network and who currently are connected to it and help out.
Cake is now running two extra mirrors of everything except the lifeselector torrents. We're actually looking at buying ourselves out of the contract for the cache nodes next month which will bring our monthly costs down a bit too.

I feel like we're getting to the stage where the speeds across new torrents are solid so we need to change our focus to storage & availability. 13,000+ torrents is a lot to run from two servers, I'd feel a lot better if it was spread over 4 or 5 (or more).

Reactions: loverloverlover

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
Well damn. I never experienced an issue with magnet links before.
Kinda wish the option remained as it just provided another way to do things.

• Red Heart
Reactions: RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Well damn. I never experienced an issue with magnet links before.
Kinda wish the option remained as it just provided another way to do things.
Aye, that's the sucky part. Unfortunately we just couldn't keep something that has such a high failure rate. It's my fault really, I've known it was a problem for a long time but I was trying to please everyone and ultimately, it was just harming us. I should have done it 6+ months ago.
Sorry for the frustration.

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
Aye, that's the sucky part. Unfortunately we just couldn't keep something that has such a high failure rate. It's my fault really, I've known it was a problem for a long time but I was trying to please everyone and ultimately, it was just harming us. I should have done it 6+ months ago.
Sorry for the frustration.
No worries and not frustrated.
Just an additional click now, doesn't change much.

• Red Heart
Sep 3, 2020
As a baseline, here's how to fix torrents not starting (feel free to link directly to this comment).

1. If you're using magnets, try the torrent file instead.
  2. If that doesn't work, delete the torrent from your client.
  3. Sign out from dl.rpdl.net
  4. Sign back in again and download the torrent again fresh
  5. Add the NEW torrent to your client.

It's an issue with users not correctly getting logged out when their session expires. We're very aware and we know how annoying it is. The developers have a hopeful fix but it's on the development branch. We're working to get it on production ASAP but it'll likely take a few weeks.
ooooh ok

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
RPDL

Hey mate, can you explain me why these two torrents suck so hard?
Anything on my side that I can do about this?

1674471140827.png

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
RPDL

Hey mate, can you explain me why these two torrents suck so hard?
Anything on my side that I can do about this?

View attachment 2332634
The image cuts off just before we can see if there's a passkey attached. For example:

If the tracker URL is https://tracker.rpdl.net/announce/spangodsgnisosaosf (random gibberish key) then everything is fine.

If the tracker URL is https://tracker.rpdl.net/announce, this is no bueno and it means your session is broken.

I think your passkey is good because you can see more than 1 or 2 seeders though. In the time between you sending this and me replying, did things improve?
Also, is it happening continuously across other torrents or just those two at just that point in time?

Sorry for the wait, only just arrived back in the appartment lol.

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
The image cuts off just before we can see if there's a passkey attached. For example:
That was my intention.

The evil guy Dax has told me some time ago on discord, some other evil dudes are able to fine me if I post the tracker complete.

If the tracker URL is https://tracker.rpdl.net/announce/spangodsgnisosaosf (random gibberish key) then everything is fine.
Check

If the tracker URL is https://tracker.rpdl.net/announce, this is no bueno and it means your session is broken.
Uncheck.

In this cases I have killed the running and redownloaded the torrent after relogging into the site.

I think your passkey is good because you can see more than 1 or 2 seeders though. In the time between you sending this and me replying, did things improve?
Yes but not to the speed that I was usual familiar with, but thats not a problem. It looks like our ISPs here in germany are restricting the amount of bandwith going through the ports that are used for torrents. I have 50K connection here (rural area) and my max speed for torrents are 6,5MB/s while on Mega (with free account and app) I get 25-35MB/s. You can track my postings on discord, there should you find a closer explanation for my speeds.

Also, is it happening continuously across other torrents or just those two at just that point in time?
To some degree, in last two months I had a couple of torrents - for newly released games - with a speed that was sucking balls, can't remember which ones...

But hey, I have time. It's not like I could do much while sitting sick at home with a two times broken arm.
Apart from being bored to death here and waiting for the ceiling to fall on my head :poop:

Sorry for the wait, only just arrived back in the appartment lol.
All fine, as I said: I have time...

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
That was my intention.

The evil guy Dax has told me some time ago on discord, some other evil dudes are able to fine me if I post the tracker complete.
Yeah he's right, posting the entire key is a bit silly because people can just grab the key and then use it to do whatever, like generate working torrents for other games etc.

Yes but not to the speed that I was usual familiar with, but thats not a problem. It looks like our ISPs here in germany are restricting the amount of bandwith going through the ports that are used for torrents. I have 50K connection here (rural area) and my max speed for torrents are 6,5MB/s while on Mega (with free account and app) I get 25-35MB/s. You can track my postings on discord, there should you find a closer explanation for my speeds.

To some degree, in last two months I had a couple of torrents - for newly released games - with a speed that was sucking balls, can't remember which ones...

But hey, I have time. It's not like I could do much while sitting sick at home with a two times broken arm.
Apart from being bored to death here and waiting for the ceiling to fall on my head :poop:

All fine, as I said: I have time...
ISPs can (and do) stuff like QOS and other dirty shit to make sure their network is "uncongested". TBH it should be illegal because if you're sold an internet connection that claims you can download at 30mb/s but then they throttle you.....
Another good one is ISPs that offer "unlimited" downloads, who then mention in the small print that there's an acceptable use policy and actually there really is a limit the whole time. Anyway, I'm rambling.

When you mention the ports, bittorrent doesn't really have a specific port that all clients use. Most ship now with "randomize port" enabled which I think, just picks an open port above 30,000. It's worth noting too that if you have a router/firewall and need to port forward that changing the port will mean you'll also need to update the port forwarding to mirror it. Most clients now also ship with options like "anonymous mode" - in short, it's trying to hide that it's bittorrent traffic to your ISP. It's not very reliable or even noteworthy at all, but I've heard of it working for some people.

I've actually rewritten this like 3 times because there's a whole lot more we can check (VPNs and just general connectivity to our servers) and I don't wanna overwhelm you. I've left a notification to DM you on discord so we can run through a few things but it'll be tomorrow at least, that okay with you?

What did you do?? lol

Reactions: Succubus Hunter

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
What did you do?? lol
I say, ask him on a separate channel. :D I too have more time for me than I usually have, although for a very different reason.

Last edited:
  • Haha

odino

Aug 14, 2017
hi it will be great if all part of game was in single torrents plus compressed one like collection torrents
its annoying to see each bonus like xmas and episode are in difrent torrent
thank you

• Red Heart

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
hi it will be great if all part of game was in single torrents plus compressed one like collection torrents
its annoying to see each bonus like xmas and episode are in difrent torrent
thank you
This is actually something we're thinking of doing. I'll explain our current plan:

If any game has more than two torrents, we'll create a bundle of all previous episodes and then keep one torrent for whatever version is in-development. Any other things like halloween and christmas episodes would go straight into the bundle too.

For example for this game :

The new setup would be two torrents like so:
"ForbiddenFantasyBundle" and in the infobox, we'd detail what's inside.
"ForbiddenFantasy-CH3"

We just need to hash out things like how do we name them and stuff like that before we get started. It's likely we'll do a vote too because some people might find it annoying. We'll see!

edit; We'd also include any Completed or Abandoned games and bundle them too, like we did for DMD

• Red Heart
Reactions: c3p0 and odino