rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

Mar 10, 2019
Why is DHT disabled in RPDL torrents?
Also why is tracker private, requiring a key from freshly generated "downloaded" torrent file?

Locking this to a central control of private tracker defeats the idea of bittorrent being decentralized mass sharing network where everything is shared by thousands of seeders around the world, even when original site is long gone.

DHT works the best, people keep downloading content I've been seeding for years, where all torrent trackers are long dead.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Locking this to a central control of private tracker defeats the idea of bittorrent being decentralized mass sharing network where everything is shared by thousands of seeders around the world, even when original site is long gone.
Because they spend money on some server that are seeding 24/7. And they are some website that have used this torrent, advertised it as their own and even try to earn money with it.

Also nobody restricting you for making your own torrents that you are sharing as you think it is best. Same with the zone here, it is by a lot not the flawless, but it is what is it. If you don't like it, you can always either try and improve it or try and make something that fits your ideas better.

And I'm sure rpdl will answer any question you have better than I can.

Reactions: RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Why is DHT disabled in RPDL torrents?
Also why is tracker private, requiring a key from freshly generated "downloaded" torrent file?

DHT works the best, people keep downloading content I've been seeding for years, where all torrent trackers are long dead.
Rampant abuse by third party sites pretty much sums it up. We accept donations and rent servers, we just got tired of supporting 5-10 sites. I emailed them asking if they'd at least link to our torrent page and only one responded, they tried to bribe me and when I declined; just continued to abuse it. At the time I was paying ~150e a month or so to prop it up and I just had enough. Honestly, it stung me to watch other sites spam users with ads and popups to just offer our torrent afterwards - seeded by our servers and just as importantly - by f95 users.

Swapping to going private instead solves a lot of problems. For example, sometimes games get banned here - we mirror the bans by deleting the torrents. Requiring accounts also stopped other sites from leeching because we'd just delete their account and suddenly they had to update tens/hundreds of articles. The swarm for public torrents was garbage too, ~30% of the peers was chinese spam - it was just a huge mess.

In a perfect world DHT would work great, however people are assholes and I just ran out of patience. Nothing in life is free, we don't charge for access or run ads or anything like that, all we ask in return is that people don't abuse our network but apparently that was asking too much lol. Everything added together just meant going private was the only option we had.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Last edited:

urhino

Aug 1, 2020
As a baseline, here's how to fix torrents not starting (feel free to link directly to this comment).

1. If you're using magnets, try the torrent file instead.
  2. If that doesn't work, delete the torrent from your client.
  3. Sign out from dl.rpdl.net
  4. Sign back in again and download the torrent again fresh
  5. Add the NEW torrent to your client.

It's an issue with users not correctly getting logged out when their session expires. We're very aware and we know how annoying it is. The developers have a hopeful fix but it's on the development branch. We're working to get it on production ASAP but it'll likely take a few weeks.
Hi, https://f95zone.to/threads/beasthunter-v0-1-2-5fix-beasthunteruniverse.126610/
I did everything as you wrote, and still does not load :cautious:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020

SpareTheRod

Sep 29, 2017
As a baseline, here's how to fix torrents not starting (feel free to link directly to this comment).

1. If you're using magnets, try the torrent file instead.
  2. If that doesn't work, delete the torrent from your client.
  3. Sign out from dl.rpdl.net
  4. Sign back in again and download the torrent again fresh
  5. Add the NEW torrent to your client.

It's an issue with users not correctly getting logged out when their session expires. We're very aware and we know how annoying it is. The developers have a hopeful fix but it's on the development branch. We're working to get it on production ASAP but it'll likely take a few weeks.
Thank you, thank you so much friend!
I was having this exact problem, this simple explanation started my downloads again (y) :love:

• Red Heart

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I set this up so we could have a way of sharing pastes/code between us, if anyone wants to use it go for it. Pastes aren't saved or listed anywhere.

I'm _still_ working on the news post too, I get distracted easily. It's not turbo interesting but I thought it'd be good to wrap up 2022. Our funding is going great, for the second month in our history (!) we were fully funded and it looks like we're gonna be funded for January too. I hope to have it done by tomorrow night sometime.

WillyJL added support for our torrents in the newest release of F95Checker which is awesome too, if you're not using it you should check it out.

WakamoSato

Jan 9, 2021
Hello, and thanks for all the hard work you guys have done on this. It's really a fantastic achevement, and much appreciated.

Now, I noticed on the torrent for https://f95zone.to/threads/double-perception-v2-2-zett.106408/ on your homepage, it currently says
Seeders: 12 and Leechers: 0

But in my client it says 12 - 18.. Im using qBittorrent on Win 10.

Probably a bug in my client, but wanted to let you guys know about it anyway. I would just restart my client, but noticed i'm seeding with 1 mb/s on Knockout master, so I'll just let it run.

On the DP v2.2 I have no leechers connected, so that's why i think bug in my client.

Edit to add: I just deleted DP v2.2 from my client, and added it again, and got this:

Screen.png

Last edited:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hello, and thanks for all the hard work you guys have done on this. It's really a fantastic achevement, and much appreciated.

Now, I noticed on the torrent for https://f95zone.to/threads/double-perception-v2-2-zett.106408/ on your homepage, it currently says
Seeders: 12 and Leechers: 0

But in my client it says 12 - 18.. Im using qBittorrent on Win 10.

Probably a bug in my client, but wanted to let you guys know about it anyway. I would just restart my client, but noticed i'm seeding with 1 mb/s on Knockout master, so I'll just let it run.

On the DP v2.2 I have no leechers connected, so that's why i think bug in my client.

Edit to add: I just deleted DP v2.2 from my client, and added it again, and got this:

View attachment 2288139
It's more than likely one of two things:
The announce done in your client is more recent than the last time the site has scraped that particular torrent (IE your client is more up to date) OR, you're seeing clients that are DHT only, which won't be shown on the tracker (because they're unauthenticated).

Either way, it's nothing to worry about. Qbittorrent respects the private flag in the torrrents so it won't seed to unauthenticated peers, some clients don't which results in some "leakage" for lack of a better word.

Also, you needn't worry about not connecting to leechers - it's probable that those leeches are already connected to enough peers to saturate their download speed so there's no need for them to actually connect to you. With all that said though, thank you! It's always cool to see people giving back via seeding, it really does have a huge effect. As an example, when the new BADIK release launched, apart from the first 10 minutes, we actually didn't see all that much traffic from our servers afterwards - the torrents were so well seeded. I was a little disappointed tbh, I kinda wanted to stresstest our network a bit lol. Reminds me of this:

35348df5-f37a-4633-8dfd-a731d08b4611_1.22fd54dca08d134a5ff723f1c4f4654c.jpeg

WakamoSato

Jan 9, 2021
It's more than likely one of two things:
The announce done in your client is more recent than the last time the site has scraped that particular torrent (IE your client is more up to date) OR, you're seeing clients that are DHT only, which won't be shown on the tracker (because they're unauthenticated).

Either way, it's nothing to worry about. Qbittorrent respects the private flag in the torrrents so it won't seed to unauthenticated peers, some clients don't which results in some "leakage" for lack of a better word.

Also, you needn't worry about not connecting to leechers - it's probable that those leeches are already connected to enough peers to saturate their download speed so there's no need for them to actually connect to you. With all that said though, thank you! It's always cool to see people giving back via seeding, it really does have a huge effect. As an example, when the new BADIK release launched, apart from the first 10 minutes, we actually didn't see all that much traffic from our servers afterwards - the torrents were so well seeded. I was a little disappointed tbh, I kinda wanted to stresstest our network a bit lol. Reminds me of this:

View attachment 2288735
Haha, that end had me literally LOL. I can't support financially at the moment, but I got excess bandwith, so thats the least I can do.

Sharing is caring as they say. Now I hit the dreadded "You've reached your reaction limit for today" lol, so it's time for bed, you'll get it tomorrow instead.

• Haha

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Reminds me of this:

35348df5-f37a-4633-8dfd-a731d08b4611_1.22fd54dca08d134a5ff723f1c4f4654c.jpeg
You mean such one, like little old me?:LOL:
1672956877343.png
And that is only the statistic since the last time transmission or my PC crashed and the statistic was reset, I think last time was for 16 days or so.:unsure::whistle:

• Red Heart

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
As is somewhat tradition, my "christmas" post which became my "new years post" has arrived right on time, on the 7th January.

I'll just copy paste what I pinged on Discord to make things easier:

hello everyone! Happy 2023, to wrap up 2022 I wrote up a quick news post to go over a few things. It's shorter than usual too!
If anyone thinks of any stats they'd like me to add feel free to @ me.

Note: the 1.4pb transferred is actually a bit unreliable (we formatted a few servers and didn't save the statistics). Realistically, it's probably closer to 2-2.5pb.
If I could buy you all a beer to celebrate I would - here's to a bigger and better 2023!
:pepelove: