rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
Um someone uploaded or mislabled this

That says it's version 6.13 but it's only 6.12.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Um someone uploaded or mislabled this

That says it's version 6.13 but it's only 6.12.
Re-making, thanks for letting me know.

Sorry about that by the way, bit of a bummer cos that's a large game :(

edit;

Last edited:
Reactions: ZTex

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I'm transitioning the storage servers to RAID0 and swapping to debian 11. This means the tracker is getting mauled as we transfer across the archive again. I dunno how long it'll take, probably a day or two. Seeing much better performance afterwards (moved to qbittorrent also).

Screenshot from 2023-02-01 08-59-34.png

Reactions: Meushi

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I am absolutely LOVING qbittorrent on linux, if you run a server or a home NAS you should totally look into .

I've been using rtorrent for _years_ because it's pretty stable and I got used to it lagging or freezing if you add too many torrents at once. I tossed 24k torrents at qbit yesterday and after about 5seconds all 24k were loaded. To get the best experience, combine it with . The qbitt web-ui gets very laggy but flood is a breeze. I should have swapped ages ago.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Succubus Hunter

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I had gotten used to needing to log out and back into the site occasionally, or torrents I downloaded would be stuck at Stalled status in qBittorrent and need to be removed and re-downloaded.

But since F95Checker integrated rpdl support I had grabbed all torrents through the tool for quite a while and never had a problem. Just now though, the tool's torrent search didn't locate the torrent for a particular game, so I had to grab it through the website... and it stalled. o_O

Is this a fluke, or did you collaborate with WillyJL to imbue the tool with some nerd magic :geek: so that it doesn't have whatever problem leads to stalled torrents?

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I had gotten used to needing to log out and back into the site occasionally, or torrents I downloaded would be stuck at Stalled status in qBittorrent and need to be removed and re-downloaded.

But since F95Checker integrated rpdl support I had grabbed all torrents through the tool for quite a while and never had a problem. Just now though, the tool's torrent search didn't locate the torrent for a particular game, so I had to grab it through the website... and it stalled. o_O

Is this a fluke, or did you collaborate with WillyJL to imbue the tool with some nerd magic :geek: so that it doesn't have whatever problem leads to stalled torrents?
lol, it does sound quite targetted. Sorry to hear that too, I actually reached out to the torrust developers again yesterday to see when the next release is.

Usually they're pretty quick to respond so we'll see I guess. And yeah, WillyJL is just a gigachad. I'm not surprised in the slightest that his tool is working flawlessly lol.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019

only special thing im doing that i can think of is that i check the downloaded torrents to see if the private user-specific tracker url is present in the downloaded .torrent (and previously, magnet link), because if your login expires, you can still download the torrents, they will simply not have your user-specific announce endpoint, which is required for you to join the swarm and connect to others, so i re-validate the login when the torrent is missing your unique tracker. my best guess is that the issues you had were your session being invalidated automatically, but for some reason you could still download the torrent files, which were therefore borked without your unique tracker url and would just stall.

as for not finding the torrent, it could be as simple as a game name conversion. ill look into it, and also implement what you suggested on github with a search bar so the user can manually change the search term. i might also add a footnote to the rpdl search popup saying to go support the RPDL team <3

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
lol, it does sound quite targetted.
I don't know how common it is or why it's happening to me (if it's uncommon maybe NoScript is the cause) but I didn't think it was targeted or anything. It's nbd after all.

only special thing im doing that i can think of is that i check the downloaded torrents to see if the private user-specific tracker url is present in the downloaded .torrent ... so i re-validate the login when the torrent is missing your unique tracker.
Yeah, that's surely it. Now that you mention it I think I had read about it or noticed a difference in hexdumps of .torrent files some time ago.

Reactions: RPDL and WillyJL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Appreciate any feedback on doing stuff like this:

In short, if a game has more than two torrents we're thinking about creating a bundle of everything that's finished. In this games case, that means we have a bundle for S1, S2 and some bonus episodes, and there's a seperate active torrent for S3 as it's in development. When S3 is finished, we'll remake the bundle to include S3 and create a new seperate torrent for S4.

It does make things a little easier and less cluttered (searching for some games can be....troublesome, ) but I'm unsure if we're making it more difficult for people who want to download previous seasons. On one hand, it's good for people who just want to grab everything, but on the other it's a bunch of useless data for somebody who only wants one season.

Note: I'm aware we can make torrents of several zips and people can pick and choose what parts of the torrent they want to download BUT, well, torrents are already a little technical and I don't want to make things more confusing than it needs to be.

---

The torrust developers were in touch and they said ~2 months and they'll cut new releases for the tracker/index & frontend to bring everything in line. It'll be here before we know it :)

---

Lastly, I pinged everyone on Discord yesterday but figured it'd be good to drop it here also for people not on Discord. In short, our recurring monthly funding has regressed a little since about September which is understandable really given how expensive things are now. December and January though were really good with once-off donations which kept us in the black. We already had one gigachad reach out yesterday so the pressure is off already, but it's worth reminding people that we do accept donations here . Obviously we want to keep growing, add more servers and try and build an emergency fund. The guys here at F95Zone do competitions for Developers with prizes and it's my personal goal for us to do something like that too.

One last thing, Cake and I are experimenting on something and we're in need of a PHP developer. If you're interested it shouldn't be very difficult nor take very long and we'd pay for your time. DM me here or hit me up on Discord!

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
If this is intended to replace all the individual torrents for each season, then not a fan. I wouldn't want to download 12 GB if I've already got 8 GB of it downloaded for example. This would be a major negative for people with poor internet or data caps.

This would be a far superior solution:
Note: I'm aware we can make torrents of several zips and people can pick and choose what parts of the torrent they want to download BUT, well, torrents are already a little technical and I don't want to make things more confusing than it needs to be.
People who don't care about the data size can just download the whole lot each time, while people who want to pick and choose can do so if desired.

I acknowledge your point about some people mightn't know how to do so, but if they can't work it out they can just download the whole package without fiddling with it & will be no worse off than your current approach.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
If this is intended to replace all the individual torrents for each season, then not a fan. I wouldn't want to download 12 GB if I've already got 8 GB of it downloaded for example. This would be a major negative for people with poor internet or data caps.

This would be a far superior solution:

People who don't care about the data size can just download the whole lot each time, while people who want to pick and choose can do so if desired.

I acknowledge your point about some people mightn't know how to do so, but if they can't work it out they can just download the whole package without fiddling with it & will be no worse off than your current approach.
Well said. Honest question, how do you find navigating our torrents at the moment?
If you just follow links straight from here that's fine too, I'm concerned the search just isn't very good.

edit; Will take your feedback on board too, we're still sussing it out and if it doesn't work, we won't do it. (less work for us!)

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Honest question, how do you find navigating our torrents at the moment?
If you just follow links straight from here that's fine too, I'm concerned the search just isn't very good.
I usually just search for the torrents on dl.rpdl.net, to make sure I'm seeing the most current version. I've never had any problems finding what I'm looking for, but I'm not downloading tons of games (maybe one or two a month).

• Red Heart
Reactions: RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I usually just search for the torrents on dl.rpdl.net, to make sure I'm seeing the most current version. I've never had any problems finding what I'm looking for, but I'm not downloading tons of games (maybe one or two a month).
Gotcha - thanks very much for the feedback!

Reactions: Meushi

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Appreciate any feedback on doing stuff like this:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

A single torrent with multiple "things" is fine, but putting all the things in a single archive is just bad practice IMO. Personally, the only way I'd dl a torrent like this if I couldn't find another one that did it "right".

It's also pretty non-standard based on the vast majority of collection-type torrents I've ever come across. So aside from maybe people who have never used torrents before, you really wouldn't be doing anyone any favors with this.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

A single torrent with multiple "things" is fine, but putting all the things in a single archive is just bad practice IMO. Personally, the only way I'd dl a torrent like this if I couldn't find another one that did it "right".

It's also pretty non-standard based on the vast majority of collection-type torrents I've ever come across. So aside from maybe people who have never used torrents before, you really wouldn't be doing anyone any favors with this.
Even for things like finished games that span 4-5 different downloads?

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Even for things like finished games that span 4-5 different downloads?
Yup. The way I see it there are two possibilities. If I had never played the game before, I'd want to dl only the first part to see if I liked it before dling any other portion. And if I had played it before, I wouldn't want to have to dl the portions I don't intend to play again.

Also, this is just me, but packing everything in a single archive makes even less sense in the context of your service than it would elsewhere. For the average tracker, public or private, having things separate can result in <100% availability over time. But because your bots or whatever seed stuff pretty much indefinitely AFAICT, that's not really a concern.

At the end of the day, if it's to the benefit of you and the team to do it this way I'm certainly not gonna complain. But I just really don't think you would be doing the rest of us any favors FWIW.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hey, Power Vacuum the main game is missing from the site, only the What Ifs batch
It's up now, thanks for the heads up.

I'm guessing one of us (probably me) deleted the base game when "what if" updated.

Reactions: Only1P