Tutorial RPGM RPG Maker Help Section

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Hi! So I wanted to translate this RPG Game here but I can't find the texts here on this pic that is on the upper side of the game.
Note that this textx stays there while I'm moving the character. Can you guys help?
Like falafelswoop says, it's probably not directly inside an event.
There's a couple places it could be.

1. Given that it's constantly on screen, it's probably a plugin. Check the plugins the game uses, if they're japanese or something, pick the description part of the text at the top and use google translate to get an idea.
With custom plugins, it may actually just hold the text in the js file, ready to be translated.

2. While a plugin may be used, it may actually be calling pictures from a folder. Check not just the picture folder but keep an eye open for new plugin folders in the www/img directory that may hold the picture containing the text.

3. Check to see if a common event calls it. With stuff that stays on screen it's unlikely, but some people prefer clunky RMV implementation rather than smooth plugins. Though some people also just javascript in RMV via script calls and forgoe the plugin.
If 1 or 2 don't yield a result, check for initialization events or map transfer events that call common events, or parallell processed common events that keep running nonstop.

Red_Blitz10

Nov 12, 2018
Like falafelswoop says, it's probably not directly inside an event.
There's a couple places it could be.

1. Given that it's constantly on screen, it's probably a plugin. Check the plugins the game uses, if they're japanese or something, pick the description part of the text at the top and use google translate to get an idea.
With custom plugins, it may actually just hold the text in the js file, ready to be translated.

2. While a plugin may be used, it may actually be calling pictures from a folder. Check not just the picture folder but keep an eye open for new plugin folders in the www/img directory that may hold the picture containing the text.

3. Check to see if a common event calls it. With stuff that stays on screen it's unlikely, but some people prefer clunky RMV implementation rather than smooth plugins. Though some people also just javascript in RMV via script calls and forgoe the plugin.
If 1 or 2 don't yield a result, check for initialization events or map transfer events that call common events, or parallell processed common events that keep running nonstop.
Thanks for the help!

drpavelcia

Aug 19, 2018
I've been getting a lot of freezes on RPG Maker MV games, where the image will freeze but the game will still run, and you'll hear the sounds and everything. I found a fix for this.

You set it up just like the manual method of installing the excellent .
  1. Unpack the game if it doesn't have a /www/ folder.
  2. Paste the GraphicsRenderFix.js file into /www/js/plugins/
  3. Modify /www/js/plugins.js by inserting the following line at the end, before the closing ] bracket (don't forget the comma):
    JSON:
    ,{"name":"GraphicsRenderFix","status":true,"description":"","parameters":{}}
If you have trouble, you can use the Cheat Menu GitHub link as a reference for troubleshooting problems. Here's a link to the , I've also attached it inside a 7z archive in case the GitHub ever disappears. Newer versions of RPGM MV should have this fix included but a lot of games that use older versions don't. I can confirm this fixed my issues in Lust Vessel, for example.

Chewzie

Mar 28, 2020
What tools can I use to translate an rpgm2000/2003 game? So far I've only found RPGRewriter, but it crashes on this particular game.
I can open the project in rpg maker, but going through all the buttons and menus to copy-paste translation is a major pain...

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
anyone know how to solve this text it's evil goddess.
Looks like font rendering issue, maybe. Tried running it in Japanese locale?
What tools can I use to translate an rpgm2000/2003 game? So far I've only found RPGRewriter, but it crashes on this particular game.
I can open the project in rpg maker, but going through all the buttons and menus to copy-paste translation is a major pain...
This page may be helpful:

Franticdispo

Modder
Jun 15, 2018
Hello,

I'm currently trying to translate a game, but one of the big problems is that the game sets its line breaks at around 26 characters for each line automatically. This works well in Japanese, but absolutely sucks in English because it doesn't take into account that I don't want it making a new line inbetween a word. It also uses .sl files to indicate sound effects and dialogue pop-ups, so I can't just resize each dialogue box manually through RPG Maker itself. I think it could be a plugin that's causing it to automatically resize the text, but I'm not completely sure. Can anyone confirm if any plugins have this specific type of word wrapping or how the game can do this in the first place? Thanks in advance.

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
I'm currently trying to translate a game, but one of the big problems is that the game sets its line breaks at around 26 characters for each line automatically. This works well in Japanese, but absolutely sucks in English because it doesn't take into account that I don't want it making a new line inbetween a word. It also uses .sl files to indicate sound effects and dialogue pop-ups, so I can't just resize each dialogue box manually through RPG Maker itself. I think it could be a plugin that's causing it to automatically resize the text, but I'm not completely sure. Can anyone confirm if any plugins have this specific type of word wrapping or how the game can do this in the first place?
I'm sure that's frustrating, but are we supposed to just know every RPG Maker MV plugin that exists? If you can read Japanese, why don't you look at the project's plugin list yourself? It'll probably be evident from the descriptions which plugin is likely, and whether you need to disable it or just modify its settings.
Unfortunately this tool doesn't work with this particular game and crashes on extracting main db file.
Haha, whoops, it turns out the tool you mention is the same one referenced in that article. Sorry, I don't know any others.

Franticdispo

Modder
Jun 15, 2018
I'm sure that's frustrating, but are we supposed to just know every RPG Maker MV plugin that exists? If you can read Japanese, why don't you look at the project's plugin list yourself? It'll probably be evident from the descriptions which plugin is likely, and whether you need to disable it or just modify its settings.
Fair enough. I've looked through quite a few of its plugins since the plugin names don't specify anything too incriminating in terms of the problem (closest I could find was one called MessageAlignmentEC, but that deals with left/middle/right alignment of the text rather than actual line breaks), but I was wondering if this was a well-known plug-in kind of issue since I'm fairly new at using RPG Maker. I'll definitely look through it more, but thank you!

Update: Found the problem! Had to go into the actual javascript file and change a line to increase the amount of accepted characters in the message window! Thanks for giving me the motivation to look into it more!

Last edited:

newnovels

Nov 3, 2019
Is there any table with main differences of RPG Maker versions? For example, I have RPG Maker XP and RPG Maker VX Ace. I'm also awared about MV version, in which I'm not sure, should I buy it or not. I mean, VX Ace version looks fully complited. But maybe I'm missing something. Also, would be great to see those who are still making RPGs on more earlier engines, such as already mentioned XP.

Otomo

Dec 17, 2017
Maybe it's not the best place to post this...
I have two projects of RPG... of course, I wish to make an adult stuff like Makina or Noxian knights. I already designed a very little RPG with RPG maker vx Ace, whitout pictures of course...

Do you if there is a way to design the draws by informatic, or if I need to take classes, or establish a partnership with an artist ?
And where and how get and implement title sets, musics ?
How I could design a project (i think going just like that is very dangerous... but I'm not informatician. Design a informatic project, I don't know how to do it).
Thanks in advance

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
There are character face/sprite generator tools included in the editor with later versions of RPG Maker such as VX Ace. You could use those. They tend not to be liked, but they're an option.

There are free resources with the appropriate dimensions, file type, etc. for your version of RPG Maker scattered over the Internet. Much is on Japanese sites. Some free resources are collected . Any royalty free music in MP3 or better yet OGG format should work for music, such as the often-used work of . Some music is included with the editor, of course.

I don't know what you mean by informatic. If you want to have a long discussion about designing a project, I don't think it is appropriate to hijack this thread for it, even if your project uses RPG Maker. Maybe try this board or one of its child boards.

Good luck with your projects.

Soloree

Apr 28, 2020
Does anyone know a way to get Rpgmaker MV games to work on a virtual machine? Unfortunately it seems to run strictly on my Host OS and I do the majority of my rpg gameplay via virtualbox. I have no issues running the other classes of RPGmaker but when it comes to MV I can't do it, and I'm assuming it's because it runs off of my graphics card. Whenever I launch a game, I am usually met with a black screen but I can hear (and interact with) the main menu and music. Sometimes in different games scenes play (scripted videos) before launching the menu but it always ends in a frozen screen just like before. Is my speculation that it requires graphics card access to work a thing, or is there a way to force MV to work off of your cpu like the other rpgmakers. Thanks in advance.

[Edit: I found out through some research that the graphics controller that supports limited GPU passthrough in virtualbox is VboxVGA and it must be used in order to utilize gpu intensive games. I now have access to MV again.]

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
Is there any table with main differences of RPG Maker versions? For example, I have RPG Maker XP and RPG Maker VX Ace. I'm also awared about MV version, in which I'm not sure, should I buy it or not. I mean, VX Ace version looks fully complited. But maybe I'm missing something. Also, would be great to see those who are still making RPGs on more earlier engines, such as already mentioned XP.
It's on the official. and
You can find a comparison , there are not many arguments objectively for VXAce except when you already have a ton of work in it and don't want to change or that it can play in a potato-powered calculator, coding in MV is easy, it has a visual editor and well-documented JavaScript functions.

Last edited:

BobCarter

Jan 28, 2018
Anyone know how to get AceVX games to scale to my resolution. Whenever I run these things they are normally very tiny, and seem to refuse to scale, that and the config files some times seem to be ignored.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote