Tool RPGM RPG Maker MV v1.62 Linux Mac and Windows

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
pk2000 Compared of Treasures of Nadia, for example. I just switched to Linux full time since yet another Windows 10 update pretended to fix a problem only to have a related issue pop up again. So I'm learning this as I go along.
And yes, I'm aware that there are different versions of Linux builds of MV. I'm just pointing out the version Included in the Linux versions of Peasant's Quest 2.11 and Lust Epidemic work beautifully at making all versions of Windows RPG Maker MV run and save UNLIKE 1.62 which does not save. Unfortunately with this particular version, it doesn't show some text in some games BUT AGAIN, it's running and saves. It seems a workaround is a hybrid of sorts for me but I'm not a coder and I don't take chances unless I know I can recover from it which is I why I keep experimenting with copy/paste or making copies of a single game and trying different nwjs.

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
pk2000 Compared of Treasures of Nadia, for example. I just switched to Linux full time since yet another Windows 10 update pretended to fix a problem only to have a related issue pop up again. So I'm learning this as I go along.
And yes, I'm aware that there are different versions of Linux builds of MV. I'm just pointing out the version Included in the Linux versions of Peasant's Quest 2.11 and Lust Epidemic work beautifully at making all versions of Windows RPG Maker MV run and save UNLIKE 1.62 which does not save. Unfortunately with this particular version, it doesn't show some text in some games BUT AGAIN, it's running and saves. It seems a workaround is a hybrid of sorts for me but I'm not a coder and I don't take chances unless I know I can recover from it which is I why I keep experimenting with copy/paste or making copies of a single game and trying different nwjs.
open your console in the mv/nwjs version that you want and run the command
e.g. for mv 1.62
Code:
ldd nw
it will list all the libraries that the program needs and you can verify which one is missing.

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
Look.. I'm just throwing things at the wall here to see what sticks. It's one of my better points and I'll do it until the wall falls off. I'm not an expert here. Just a dude who likes some RPG Maker MV games. So sue me!
Sooo... I understand the one I got to work was an older version. Next thing I did was I tried the files from Treasure of Nadia since it's a newer game. I copied all the files except the www and locales folder and pasted them in their own folder then pasted the www and locale folders from the games that didn't work into the new folder. Specifically the 2 previously mentioned - Aliens in the Backyard 5 and Konosuba Beauty Contest. And welll.. it does work. It shows the fonts correctly and saves, runs, etc. Got stuff running and that's all that matters.
It should be obvious- I don't know what the difference is with the versions other than the amount of files vary wildly but all I know is that something works and for most of us, that's what matters. Just that it somehow works, runs and saves so game actually functions close to its intent. I'm just hoping others in my shoes who are learning to use Linux and Ubuntu can do what I did (copy and paste) in the meantime to play their games. And for those of you who are more aware of how the Linux machine works, maybe this can help you somehow?

EDITED- Part of my goal is to not have to build a Windows VM and if I have to, I'll make that VM as small as I can get it. It's for Window's own good,

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
WTF are you talking about? o_O
The fact that newer versions of rpgmv/nwjs do not save, means that:
- either the folder/file does not have the correct permissions or
- that the newer version has a dependency/library different than the previous one and that library is missing for your system/os (and ldd will help you find what is missing)

If you don't want to learn, why the hell did you ask for help?
ps. Now I understand why the people in linux forums are so rude with noobs....

• Haha
Reactions: cold_arctus

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Just leaving some information in here that my benefit those here. With Wine, I've got XP, VX, and VX Ace set and running fine. With RPG Maker MV, it's really hit or miss. I've tried rpg maker 1.62 from here, nwjs versions 0.44, 48.1, and 3 other nwjs versions on Linux Mint 20 (Ubuntu 20.04). On 0.44 and 1.62, the games performed perfectly with one issue- Can't save. No matter what I do, it's not able to save. AT ALL. That's really annoying.
While playing the Linux version of Peasants Quest 2.11, i noticed the structure is different than the usual setup I see with RPG Maker MV so I simply switched out the www and locale folders with those from a windows game and it ran the games and saved. Since then, I've tested with several games (15 so far) and they all work with one interesting twist. Some games like "Aliens in the Backyard" and "Konosuba Beauty Contest" have a weird text issue where it displays "{intro1}" but doesn't show the actual dialogue. But at this point, it's a much better option than anything else right now because it actually runs and saves at least 90% of the games I've tested this on. And to me, it seems to be easier to me to fix the font issues.

Any ideas?
Look.. I'm just throwing things at the wall here to see what sticks. It's one of my better points and I'll do it until the wall falls off. I'm not an expert here. Just a dude who likes some RPG Maker MV games. So sue me!
Sooo... I understand the one I got to work was an older version. Next thing I did was I tried the files from Treasure of Nadia since it's a newer game. I copied all the files except the www and locales folder and pasted them in their own folder then pasted the www and locale folders from the games that didn't work into the new folder. Specifically the 2 previously mentioned - Aliens in the Backyard 5 and Konosuba Beauty Contest. And welll.. it does work. It shows the fonts correctly and saves, runs, etc. Got stuff running and that's all that matters.
It should be obvious- I don't know what the difference is with the versions other than the amount of files vary wildly but all I know is that something works and for most of us, that's what matters. Just that it somehow works, runs and saves so game actually functions close to its intent. I'm just hoping others in my shoes who are learning to use Linux and Ubuntu can do what I did (copy and paste) in the meantime to play their games. And for those of you who are more aware of how the Linux machine works, maybe this can help you somehow?

EDITED- Part of my goal is to not have to build a Windows VM and if I have to, I'll make that VM as small as I can get it. It's for Window's own good,
Not sure what you are talking about, but I downloaded the provided Linux build of both named games to verify what you said.

Note: I didn't use any newer version of nw.js or copy over the www folder to any other game build. I used the client the game was shipped with.

As you can see from my screenshots saving works without a problem same for dialogues - no weird "{intro1}" as you mentioned..

Make sure you didn't forget to give permission to the "nw" file. Either use right-click -> Permission (tab) or use chmod +x via terminal on the file.

Edit: Never had any issue to play Peasants Quest with RPG Maker MV v1.62.

Last edited:

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
I read some reviews pointed out the same as you did. 70 $ is indeed too much for something that could have been an update or upgrade for much less.
Plus most popular plugin makers now encrypt the files so it's impossible to look through the code and write your own extension to customize or fix bugs and they charging for every single plugin which already exists on mv.

And I doubt mz performance is much better compared to mv. I read it's even worse which was already terrible.

If you're already familiar with mv, there's 0 point moving to mz. It should have been an update as it adds nothing significant.

The only upside would have been a proper/good performance, but it seems degica managed to make mz run even worse.

I can see RPG maker bitting the dust in a decade or so as Degica shows 0 interest in innovations.

Last edited:

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
I would like to try it (MV) but can't find an Editor version for Linux aside from Steam. :cautious:
I wouldn't even recommend steam. I brought a degica version as steam kept corrupting my project making it buggy as hell. Crashes, slowdowns, etc. It literally kills project development. Tested the issue throughout recreating the bug on different projects. Something wrong is going on there and the only way to restore stability is going back to "backup".
Happens when you start creating project copies and open old/new project with the editor. Opening database on projects is x2-5 times slower, crashes like every 10-30 min using various commands, open database, save etc.
Degica version doesn't have that issue.

Last edited:

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Plus most popular plugin makers now encrypt the files so it's impossible to look through the code and write your own extension to customize or fix bugs and they charging for every single plugin which already exists on mv.

And I doubt mz performance is much better compared to mv. I read it's even worse which was already terrible.

If you're already familiar with mv, there's 0 point moving to mz. It should have been an update as it adds nothing significant.

The only upside would have been a proper/good performance, but it seems degica managed to make mz run even worse.

I can see RPG maker bitting the dust in a decade or so as Degica shows 0 interest in innovations.
Charging for the plugins and obfuscating them is godsent for me. It will stop developers adding all those nonsensical plugins that add zero value to the game play and all they do is wasting cpu cycles and deteriorating performance.
From my tests MZ felt 20% slower/heavier than MV when I tested on low-end (braswell) machines. But seemed more related with the shiped nwjs version v44.5 (if I am not mistaken).
I would like to try it (MV) but can't find an Editor version for Linux aside from Steam. :cautious:
It does not exist. They never released a normal (outside steam) mac or linux version.

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
cold_arctus pk2000 - I always check for permissions. I've got a couple issues I'm trying to hunt down and I'm new to using Linux. But apparently since I "don't want to learn", it's okay to be rude to me. Not sure which mountain you jumped to get to that conclusions but don't worry- I'm obviously not stupid so I get the message- "linux noobs" need not apply here, We are made not to feel welcome by you 2.

TO EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD- Don't ask for help if you're new to linux. You apparently have to be a programmer to ask for help. I get it. I'm not coming back here. But wasn't this thread built to help guys like me?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
We are made not to feel welcome by you 2.
May you please point out to me where I were mean or where I offended you? I laughed at pk's statement, but not about you.
Don't ask for help if you're new to linux.
I consider myself to be a Linux-noob and I already switched 6 years ago. And I still have to learn a lot about Linux.
You apparently have to be a programmer to ask for help.
To begin with your initial post wasn't clear what you wanted. First you said you had some problems to run named games, but came up with a workaround for it. Then you stated that your post might help other people with the same problem.

Now you act offended because I took the time to verify, if want you said was correct or not. Result of my test: There is no issues with the named games neither with the native RPG Maker MV v1.62 launcher as stated by you. Means, the issue must be on your side and not RPG Maker MV v1.61 related. Therefore your "help" aka workaround is not useful, because the issue occurs only for you and could not be reproduce by me or anyone else.

My first suggestion was to check if you had missing permission. Apparently it isn't the case. Now you admit that you have some issues with your Linux system.
I've got a couple issues I'm trying to hunt down and I'm new to using Linux
But wasn't this thread built to help guys like me?
Since it wasn't clear if your problems were game (code), RPG Maker MV (engine) or system (Linux) related I personally would have posted the question in this thread (https://f95zone.to/threads/playing-on-linux-tutorials-tools-and-help.19523/) instead here. However, by my short test I was apple to confirm that your issue isn't game, RPG Maker and Linux related, because I couldn't reproduce them.

As you can see I offered my help to help you, but since I can't reproduce the issues you have with named games there isn't much I can help you with without further information. And since it isn't RPG Maker MV v1.62 related but a matter of your Linux system its considerable to be off-topic in this thread.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
RPG mv has many weird faults.
Not saving is related to permission problems. Running with admin rights usually fixes the issue. The same applies to Linux, mac.
"Hidding" folder also affects saves. As game can't find a folder and can't create a save.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Not saving is related to permission problems.
Not always!

Take Lida's Adventures for example, on Linux you can't access dev's provides saves, because you are not the owner of the save folder. Fixing permission (chmod) didn't help; what I had to do was to get ownership of the folder (chown) or create my own save folder and then copy over dev's saves.

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
Look, everything supposedly checks out and runs right in my system (Mint 20) and it could be a possible security upgrade hid a folder or maybe changed how permissions work for certain files. I've used system reports, synaptic manager and driver manager to check my Mint for any issues and there's none. It runs far, far better than windows and I've never had any issues whatsoever running Mint - no crashes, no freezing, NO ISSUES. I've installed VLC, the codec pack, WINE, winetricks, and Steam with Software Manager and zero issues running of those. ALL the other game systems and methods I've tried "out of the box" works. Like running old RPG Maker XP, VX, an VX Ace games and 3 different Emulators flawlessly. I've run over 100 games successfully that should be windows only... but RPG Maker MV for Windows is an outlier.
My "workaround" is simply replacing the www and locale folders in working linux distributions with the www and locale folders of a windows game. Why? Because it's already working. So I got something to work and maybe the "smarter" ones can help point to "what is the difference"? Instead I feel I'm getting attacked for being a "noob". That's not right. At all. Don't care who you are. That's RUDE.
Again, t's only RPG Maker MV windows versions that not saving or running smooth. So like I said, I'm doing what I can get it to run. That is the point. And yes I did run lss and was going to ask about a result but since there's pushback for me being a "noob", why should I ask if the symbol "==>" should follow every file? Someone gonna call me a "noob" again or realize that they're not running Mint 20? Apparently it's too hard to use a liveusb and try that.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
My "workaround" is simply replacing the www and locale folders in working linux distributions with the www and locale folders of a windows game. Why? Because it's already working. So I got something to work and maybe the "smarter" ones can help point to "what is the difference"?
What is the output of your terminal when you run a game?

Edit: Note: you don't need to copy the "locale" folder. The "www" folder is the only one which should be copied over.

Last edited:

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks for the info about locale folder.
This is running Wicked Rouge Linux 7.3. Same error with Treasure of Nadia Linux v54101
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I've always had this fontconfig error and was told it can be ignored. However, look at the last 3. All that is "greek" to me and could be connected to what is going on. Remember, I'm trying to maintain a stable OS and this is almost barebones Mint 20.
I'm going to add that trying to run any version of RPG Maker MV (even Linux) thru the index.html always results in a "failure to load actors.json". Also, running the windows exe with wine hangs at the "Now Loading" then stops responding.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Wicked Rouge Linux 7.3
Give me a few minutes to download the game as well.
thru the index.html always results in a "failure to load actors.json". Also, running the windows exe with wine hangs at the "Now Loading" then stops responding.
Neither index.html nor Wine is needed.

Note: The reason why the game won't run via Wine is due to libGLESv2.dll. As soon as you delete it should work.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
This is running Wicked Rouge Linux 7.3.
Here is my Terminal output from Wicked Rouge (Linux build). Same as you I get bunch of fontconfig warnings (harmless).
The last we lines are almost similar between us.
[355508:355508:1009/234329.286522:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(104)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed!
Should be related to OpenGL and to my old onboard's GPU driver.

The game starts and I can save normally. Are you able to start the game to begin with?

I run Ubuntu 20.04 which use the same repositories as Mint 20.

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
I just tried again to run nano-control 101a windows version (it's only 380mb) thru Wine and deleted the libGLESv2.dll. I removed the libGLESv2.dll in the root folder and it got stuck at "Now Loading...". Next, I deleted both of them and it still didn't load with Wine.

However, the Linux version of Nano-Control runs as-is with the same errors as Treasure of Nadia or Wicked Rouge. All linux versions start, run and save. Zero issues. Just that fontconfig when running thru terminal.

Now, I am a FAN of NLT Media. I took the windows version of "My Summer with Mom & Sis" v1.0 (www folder) and ran that www folder with the 1.62 offered here. It runs great but can't save at all. Here's the error it spits out in Terminal. It's IDENTICAL to the working games.

Now I've added a link here to the RPG Maker LInux version used by Peasants Quest 2.11. Next, drop in the www folder from "My Summer with Mom & Sis". Can run game by itself or use terminal "./game" and it spits out small error about chrome not being secure. But it runs great, starts and SAVES.

(Drop in the www folder and run game)

Terminal output when running ./game

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Now, I am a FAN of NLT Media. I took the windows version of "My Summer with Mom & Sis" v1.0 (www folder) and ran that www folder with the 1.62 offered here. It runs great but can't save at all. Here's the error it spits out in Terminal. It's IDENTICAL to the working games.
Ok, I tried "My Summer with Mom & Sis" and wasn't able to save using the native Linux RPG Maker MV v1.62.

Same as for Lida's Adventure this is due to the outdated core files in the game's "www folder". As soon as I upgrade the core files with the "NewData.zip" from OP saving and loading the game works.

1602286132250.png

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes