RPGM Sasha's Story - Culture Shock [v0.2.4c] [fazthestampede]

4.60 star(s) 12 Votes

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
I'm stuck

Currently at exib level 13. Bus event 2 done. Jogging mark on the map (the downward arrow) has disappeared. I can still trigger jogging in the morning, but all I get is the screen "I could do this all day" regardless of how many times I do it. The jogging event 2 does not trigger

I've done the fishing event 1, but now the fish seller wants another 9 fish. When I approach the fisherman at night I get "-- add new content here --" - can't fish.

Is there a way out of it without restarting the whole game?
Yes, you may use this solution https://f95zone.to/threads/sashas-story-culture-shock-v0-2-0-fazthestampede.115579/post-11159698

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
Are you playing the newest version on Windows? [V.0.2.0] if you are and still getting that error, can you tell us exactly after what sequence of the game you got it?

benjioak

Feb 10, 2020
Are you playing the newest version on Windows? [V.0.2.0] if you are and still getting that error, can you tell us exactly after what sequence of the game you got it?
Yeah I am. I finished all the available questlines before V.0.2.0 came out. So this error is right after installing the new update and just running the game.

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah I am. I finished all the available questlines before V.0.2.0 came out. So this error is right after installing the new update and just running the game.
I see. Between V.0.2.0 (the newest version) and the previous ones, there were upgrades in terms of programming that allowed the game to be smaller in size. Therefore, the nature of the codes are different. The best way to solve this is by downloading the newest version but putting it in a different folder and use the embedded save file that ive inserted. The post right above yours would be the best way to avoid this issue.

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
pcs2714 There is an HD gallery posted on Mega but it is for members only. But you can always visit Sasha's diary in-game and click on "Game CG" in every event. :)
Bobber Tail It's for an upcoming event that is still a work in progress :giggle:

Last edited:

Bobber Tail

Nov 28, 2017
pcs2714 There is an HD gallery posted on Mega but it is for members only. But you can always visit Sasha's diary in-game and click on "Game CG" in every event. :)
Bobber Tail It's for an upcoming event that is still a work in progress :giggle:
Yeah, I advise against that. It is annoying to the player, especially for multiple updates.
Also, ? in the diary before they are ready. I never found the 3rd lotion event in b, but your save in c had it completed with more ? I can't find. Wait on hints until relevant.
I'm just waiting for her to get over the being seen, after so many events it shouldn't be a huge deal anymore. Obviously, you have long term plans with this moving at this pace. Hopefully, as the events get worked in, there will be less dead times from a fresh replay.

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, I advise against that. It is annoying to the player, especially for multiple updates.
Also, ? in the diary before they are ready. I never found the 3rd lotion event in b, but your save in c had it completed with more ? I can't find. Wait on hints until relevant.
I'm just waiting for her to get over the being seen, after so many events it shouldn't be a huge deal anymore. Obviously, you have long term plans with this moving at this pace. Hopefully, as the events get worked in, there will be less dead times from a fresh replay.
I appreciate the feedback, especially from a player's perspective.
Did you mean the lotion from the previous version? (this is from V.0.2.0):
  1. visit pelangi highschool parking lot at day
  2. visit green inferno (south from sasha's house) at day
  3. Go to Sasha's rooftop in the evening
The hints of these three are given by Linn, if you talk to her scene. But, for V.0.2.1, the lotion scenes are still in development.
If that is not the answer you wanted, you can see from these screenshots:
new scenes from V.0.2.1 (the newest one):
for bobber.png
You can find the "?" there, together with their hints. But if the "?" that you are referring to arent the ones I pointed out, then it's Linn's previous scene and it's there right below the newest ones.

Furthermore, I understand your frustration. But, the game needs a story to get "there". I would be lying, if I told you that I don't want to speed up her humiliation and corruption, unfortunately, such rush will break the immersion which will end up in relatively bad storytelling. The price of having an at-least-decent story is time. She will be what you've imagined, that is for sure, but in proper time, especially that I can only do so much as a solo developer who consider this project as a hobby.
Without giving out any spoilers, this is a simple graph as a demonstration:
graph -culture shock.png
By looking at the graph, it can be seen that the story needs a build up which is heading towards exhibitionism and other related fetishes. Currently, we are at "X". Once we pass through the lowest curve, the story will only escalate drastically while significant "events" will make Sasha live very differently from there. When that time comes, that will be the true nature of the game.
This will be slightly different if it were "We love you, Miss Ria", because Ria didn't have a proper build up nor did she have escalations. In conclusion, by looking at past mistakes from my previous work and by fully understanding the idea that making a game is a beast to conquer, if I do want to make a story, I want to do it the right way.

jinxpowpow69

Jan 29, 2019
... I think it's rare for game devs giving out their plans like that. I find it wholesome. Just wanted to add that don't push yourself too hard. We all have witnessed too many devs who got burnt out or disappeared, due to either lack of support or well being. We'd rather make time as a price to pay for the game being finished than you quitting in mid-development. There is nothing more depressing than watching our game devs quit. Keep doing what you do, Faz! :geek:

Bobber Tail

Nov 28, 2017
I appreciate the feedback, especially from a player's perspective.
Did you mean the lotion from the previous version? (this is from V.0.2.0):
  1. visit pelangi highschool parking lot at day
  2. visit green inferno (south from sasha's house) at day
  3. Go to Sasha's rooftop in the evening
The hints of these three are given by Linn, if you talk to her scene. But, for V.0.2.1, the lotion scenes are still in development.
If that is not the answer you wanted, you can see from these screenshots:
new scenes from V.0.2.1 (the newest one):
View attachment 2836089
You can find the "?" there, together with their hints. But if the "?" that you are referring to arent the ones I pointed out, then it's Linn's previous scene and it's there right below the newest ones.

Furthermore, I understand your frustration. But, the game needs a story to get "there". I would be lying, if I told you that I don't want to speed up her humiliation and corruption, unfortunately, such rush will break the immersion which will end up in relatively bad storytelling. The price of having an at-least-decent story is time. She will be what you've imagined, that is for sure, but in proper time, especially that I can only do so much as a solo developer who consider this project as a hobby.
Without giving out any spoilers, this is a simple graph as a demonstration:
View attachment 2836091
By looking at the graph, it can be seen that the story needs a build up which is heading towards exhibitionism and other related fetishes. Currently, we are at "X". Once we pass through the lowest curve, the story will only escalate drastically while significant "events" will make Sasha live very differently from there. When that time comes, that will be the true nature of the game.
This will be slightly different if it were "We love you, Miss Ria", because Ria didn't have a proper build up nor did she have escalations. In conclusion, by looking at past mistakes from my previous work and by fully understanding the idea that making a game is a beast to conquer, if I do want to make a story, I want to do it the right way.
It was the second one I never found. Kept going south every time for days, got the parking lot and roof easy enough. Now it's moot as we are past that and I have new hints I can't do. Can't recall which, but I think I did everything really available.
I understand the pacing, it is the down side of small updates. Been waiting over 19 months for Light of my Life update, will be a week of game time.

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
GAME UPDATE
Sasha's Story -Culture Shock [V.0.2.1d]
LINK:

Extra update:
WALTHROUGH (google doc)

Changelog [V.0.2.1a] :
  • Added fisherman scene 2
  • Added fish seller scene 3
  • Added Linn lotion complain scene 1
  • Changed daylight symbol into a better one
  • Changed BGM for main title
  • Added new symbols for hints
  • Added 2 more animations (thanks to JustSomeGuy)

Changelog [V.0.2.1b] :
  • Added Linn's scene into Sasha's diary
  • Fixed bugs on previous versions and spellings
  • Save files from V.0.2.1 are now compatible

Changelog [V.0.2.1c] :
  • Solved previous jogging bug scene (some players couldn't trigger it)
  • Fixed bug scenes on linn's lotion scene
  • Fixed Sasha's bottomless image on pause menu

Changelog [V.0.2.1d] :
  • Added Fish merchant scene 3 into Sasha's diary (I missed that one unintentionally)
  • Fixed bugs on previous jogging scene where the first interractable won't appear
  • Fixed a bug on Dann scene 1 for dialogue missing when entering the event.
  • Created a simple walkthrough via google doc

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
Hi, before playing, you may follow the following: ✍
WALKTHROUGH V.0.2.1d (in order for the better):
  1. Load save file 9 ‍
  2. Talk to the fisherman near Sasha's house on the top right at night
  3. After getting 9 fish, talk to the fish seller in the market in the evening
  4. Finally, complain to Linn about the lotion in her house in the morning

Reactions: DrReyMoore

ea3794

Modder
Mar 30, 2018
Found a couple bugs...

The RS_ChoicePosition plugin reduces FPS to single-digits as its recalculating and redrawing the choice menu every single frame. Well, the bug is really in the game engine itself where its sampling pixels from img/system/Window.png to determine text colors without caching those values (they never change). Running the game with NWJS, all images are hardware surfaces so getPixel() calls are really expensive. The game engine bug is exposed by redrawing the menu every frame. Disabling the plugin made my FPS normal again.

There's a fatal crash during the scene where the officers come to arrest people at the market. It tries to load img/pictures/278MrHaydarantagonize.webp and others. However it fails to actually find the file because JSG.Tools.FindImageExtension does the following:
  1. Try to find img/pictures/278MrHaydarantagonize.rpgmvp.
  2. If not found, try to find img/pictures/278MrHaydarantagonize.png.
  3. If not found, it converts the path to lowercase and tries to find img/pictures/278mrhaydarantagonize.png. This breaks on case-sensitive filesystems.
  4. If not found, it tries to find img/pictures/278mrhaydarantagonize.webp. Lowercase again, so fails.
So halfway through the scene the game crashes trying to report the error and tells the user to press F5 (which won't fix anything) because of a bug in error reporting itself in ImageManager.loadBitmap (js/plugins/JSG_EssentialTools.js): console.log("Error: Unable to locate bitmap: " + filepath);. The variable is supposed to be filePath not filepath.

Here's a fixed version of JSG.Tools.FindImageExtension that works for that scene:

JavaScript:
JSG.Tools.FindImageExtension = function(filepath)
    {
        if (!filepath) return false;
        if (filepath in this.PicExtLookupTable)
        {
            return this.PicExtLookupTable[filepath];
        }
        var fileExt = JSG.Tools.RPGMVPFileExtension;
        var validFilePath = filepath;
        const fileExtensions = [
            JSG.Tools.RPGMVPFileExtension,
            JSG.Tools.PNGFileExtension,
            JSG.Tools.WEBPFileExtension,
        ];
        for (const fileExt of fileExtensions) {
            if (JSG.Tools.RelativeFilePathExists(validFilePath, fileExt)) {
                validFilePath = validFilePath + fileExt;
                this.PicExtLookupTable[filepath] = validFilePath;
                return validFilePath;
            }
        }
        return false;
    };
Fun game tho, keep up the good work.

• Red Heart
Reactions: fazthestampede

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
Found a couple bugs...

The RS_ChoicePosition plugin reduces FPS to single-digits as its recalculating and redrawing the choice menu every single frame. Well, the bug is really in the game engine itself where its sampling pixels from img/system/Window.png to determine text colors without caching those values (they never change). Running the game with NWJS, all images are hardware surfaces so getPixel() calls are really expensive. The game engine bug is exposed by redrawing the menu every frame. Disabling the plugin made my FPS normal again.

There's a fatal crash during the scene where the officers come to arrest people at the market. It tries to load img/pictures/278MrHaydarantagonize.webp and others. However it fails to actually find the file because JSG.Tools.FindImageExtension does the following:
  1. Try to find img/pictures/278MrHaydarantagonize.rpgmvp.
  2. If not found, try to find img/pictures/278MrHaydarantagonize.png.
  3. If not found, it converts the path to lowercase and tries to find img/pictures/278mrhaydarantagonize.png. This breaks on case-sensitive filesystems.
  4. If not found, it tries to find img/pictures/278mrhaydarantagonize.webp. Lowercase again, so fails.
So halfway through the scene the game crashes trying to report the error and tells the user to press F5 (which won't fix anything) because of a bug in error reporting itself in ImageManager.loadBitmap (js/plugins/JSG_EssentialTools.js): console.log("Error: Unable to locate bitmap: " + filepath);. The variable is supposed to be filePath not filepath.

Here's a fixed version of JSG.Tools.FindImageExtension that works for that scene:

JavaScript:
JSG.Tools.FindImageExtension = function(filepath)
    {
        if (!filepath) return false;
        if (filepath in this.PicExtLookupTable)
        {
            return this.PicExtLookupTable[filepath];
        }
        var fileExt = JSG.Tools.RPGMVPFileExtension;
        var validFilePath = filepath;
        const fileExtensions = [
            JSG.Tools.RPGMVPFileExtension,
            JSG.Tools.PNGFileExtension,
            JSG.Tools.WEBPFileExtension,
        ];
        for (const fileExt of fileExtensions) {
            if (JSG.Tools.RelativeFilePathExists(validFilePath, fileExt)) {
                validFilePath = validFilePath + fileExt;
                this.PicExtLookupTable[filepath] = validFilePath;
                return validFilePath;
            }
        }
        return false;
    };
Fun game tho, keep up the good work.
Hey thank you. I appreciate the detailed issue exposition and I will definitely look it up and fix it. -much love.

lemaro

May 11, 2021
Thanks for the update! I've been skipping them since I plan to start fresh again when there's more corruption happening, and reading through the posts the direction this is going is quite positive, well done!

OnlyOnce1

Jan 7, 2018
Bug: img/pictures/497Sleeppose1.webp addressed as 497sleeppose1.webp
Game failed on any sleep scene on case-sentitive filesystem (i.e. on Linux).

4.60 star(s) 12 Votes