RPGM Sasha's Story - Culture Shock [v0.2.4c] [fazthestampede]

4.60 star(s) 12 Votes

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
Bug: img/pictures/497Sleeppose1.webp addressed as 497sleeppose1.webp
Game failed on any sleep scene on case-sentitive filesystem (i.e. on Linux).
Thanks for the report, but I've checked and the lower/uppercase is already correct and it works fine on Windows. Perhaps it's due to using Linux, as the game is designed for Windows only.

OnlyOnce1

Jan 7, 2018
NWJS games can't be "for Windows only", the engine is cross-platform out of the box.
But this game is pretty bugful under both system - it suddenly and randomly hangs.
Walkthrough isn't obvious: there's "read the book" in diary but you can't, "talk with fish seller at evening" in diary but nobody in this location at evening etc.

Last edited:

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
NWJS games can't be "for Windows only", the engine is cross-platform out of the box.
But this game is pretty bugful under both system - it suddenly and randomly hangs.
Walkthrough isn't obvious: there's "read the book" in diary but you can't, "talk with fish seller at evening" in diary but nobody in this __cpLocation at evening etc.
I would never release an update, if it has many fatal bugs or randomly crashing while playing. Before releasing every update, I conduct beta testers to replay and review every aspect. It same goes with the walkthrough. It was created by carefully testing the steps one by one and replaying it countless times to verify its function. In conclusion, there must be something at your end that is causing the crash, because in Windows, we have checked and everything is working fine.

OnlyOnce1

Jan 7, 2018
I'd not mention hangs if I see them only on Linux.
But I got them on Windows (in VirtualBox) too.
Maybe my environment is untypical for your auditory but I see no hangs like this in other RPGM (nwjs) games.
Usually only trouble is case-sensitive filesystem - and in that case I see a message with missed file path and a button for reload this file only.
In this game I see an error with no info about missed path and the only possible solution is F5 to reload the whole game.

picobyte

Oct 20, 2017
Thanks for the report, but I've checked and the lower/uppercase is already correct and it works fine on Windows. Perhaps it's due to using Linux, as the game is designed for Windows only.
This stance kind of pisses me off.

1. Windows has adopted the ridiculous choice to ignore case. It hides this even from you, as it almost always displays files with Uppercase-lowercases; even if you typed it in differently. Mac and Linux just do it correctly, they store/read the filename exactly as it is named and stored.
2. RPGM is designed for multiple OS'es, so why not at least try to implement this, too? You'll just make some extra people enjoy your game. If you take a pro-active stance then some might even be inclined to tell you how to fix it.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

BTW you may want to change that you display your Game over screen when you say No to are you 18+.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020
This stance kind of pisses me off.

1. Windows has adopted the ridiculous choice to ignore case. It hides this even from you, as it almost always displays files with Uppercase-lowercases; even if you typed it in differently. Mac and Linux just do it correctly, they store/read the filename exactly as it is named and stored.
2. RPGM is designed for multiple OS'es, so why not at least try to implement this, too? You'll just make some extra people enjoy your game. If you take a pro-active stance then some might even be inclined to tell you how to fix it.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

BTW you may want to change that you display your Game over screen when you say No to are you 18+.
Yeah I agree, I can't just go out and get a Windows computer. There has to be some way to do it, people can help with getting it on multiple OS'es

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
OnlyOnce1 picobyte I need to clarify several things:
  1. What system are you operating on?
  2. I surely understand that RPGs are supposed to be compatible cross platforms (windows, mac OS X, Linux, Anroid/iOS, web browsers)
Screenshot_1.png
But, what most people don't notice is that the process also brings further repercussions. Some deployments need more programming that is beyond my skills, some have plugins incompatibility issues, some won't read previous saves, some just straight up broken due to RPG MV's default/missing features.
That being said, I've only tested the game for Windows or at least what my beta testers and I are confident with. This is merely due to the fact that:
  • I want the players who have been following the game from the start to not rewind the game from the beginning in every update, so making compatible saves right before new events is a necessity. Apparently that I only have computers that operate on Windows, I cannot make sure to provide such "save/load" feature for non-windows. If I did manage to deploy it correctly on Linux or Mac, I wouldn't want the players on that platform to rewind the game from the beginning every time an update comes out. That is why I haven't tried deploying it to other platforms.
  • However, I've tried countless times deploying it to android but with no luck. After discussing with several programmers, the core reason would be "JSG_EssentialPlugin" that is not compatible with .apk. I cannot discard that plugin because one of the game's features heavily relies on it. Furthermore, I haven't tried whether it works on Linux, Mac, or web browser.
Look, you guys apparently have more experience in trying out Rpg maker cross platforms than I do. So, here are some links to experimental deployments:
Sasha's Story -Culture Shock [V.0.2.1d] -Linux

Sasha's Story -Culture Shock [V.0.2.1d] -Web browser

I appreciate your playing my game and giving complaints, but I can only do so much as a solo dev.

(and dude, picobyte little advice: "don't piss someone off by using the phrase "pissed off" on someone's thread. Not everyone is as tech savvy as you are.)

picobyte

Oct 20, 2017
After a four line changes of filepath to filename, the intro start seems to run fine. Pretty decent looking game.
On the console there are a lot of lines printed about images that cannot be loaded. But they seem false-positives. I think it is just because loading tries one file extension, then the next, then lowercase, and although it eventually just loads fine -nothing looks off in game - it does console log about all failed attempts. so, not a real problem.

I'll give your Culture Shock Linux a try. Thanks.
This may not be the case for Ubuntu users, but on my distribution (arch linux) I get an error similar to . It seems to rely on a different chromium version than I have. However, what almost always works for me is downloading and then running these lines inside the game directory (where you have the www/ and locales/):
Bash:
g=nwjs-sdk-v0.78.1-linux-x64
tar xzf $g.tar.gz
for f in $g/*; do
t="${f#$g/}"
[ -e "$t" ] && mv "$t" "${t^}"
done
mv $g/* .
rmdir $g
That also just works for the windows version. That essentially replaces the provided locales directories, default libraries to load with the ones from nwjs-sdk. and then running `./nw` just starts the game, In this case + the aforementioned changes are also required. There may be more, I haven't played the game entirely yet.

And if that does not work, it is possible to run via proton (which is steam's version own wine), and alternatively there is wine to try to run the windows executable in windows. Finally if all else fails you can maybe install it on virtualbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: fazthestampede

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
picobyte OnlyOnce1 ea3794
After analyzing your reports on upper case, lowercase, and the scenes, this version should fix the issue that you're having
Sasha's Story -Culture Shock [V.0.2.1e]
Thank you for the feedback you've given. So, try it out and if there's still issues on your linux, feel free to notify me. :)

jinxpowpow69 MidnightVT venkatesh66
This game wouldn't exist without you. Much Love.

OnlyOnce1

Jan 7, 2018
Sasha's Story -Culture Shock [V.0.2.1e]
It stops falling with case-sensitive problem, but still has bugs. Maybe it's only my saves, but.
After update I see and visit bar, "resquing" the drunk guy and increase exhibitionism to 16.
BTW, character icon on map become invisible during this quest - probably missed one for semi-topless state.
After that the "Skin Check" quest is broken - no exclamation sign at that door and person inside doesn't react at all.
Fish merchant triggers only "I can't believe I show my panties to him".
Fisherman is useless too - I already have 9 fishes.
Stuck.

jinxpowpow69

Jan 29, 2019
It stops falling with case-sensitive problem, but still has bugs. Maybe it's only my saves, but.
After update I see and visit bar, "resquing" the drunk guy and increase exhibitionism to 16.
BTW, character icon on map become invisible during this quest - probably missed one for semi-topless state.
After that the "Skin Check" quest is broken - no exclamation sign at that door and person inside doesn't react at all.
Fish merchant triggers only "I can't believe I show my panties to him".
Fisherman is useless too - I already have 9 fishes.
Stuck.
Your bug errors peeked my interest because you guys have been talking about it for days, so I tried replaying the version myself. I think your bugs are very strange, because I didn't found any of the bugs you mentioned at all. Every event, picture, and dialogue is existent and they are able to be played well. Perhaps I'm missing something here, but, is it because you're using linux? As far as I know, the game is for Windows only and perhaps using different platform causes it.

OnlyOnce1

Jan 7, 2018
is it because you're using linux?
I'm using Linux for decades and have no bugs like this in other RPGM games (but case-sensitive errors, they're very common for both RPGM and HTML). Usually both engine let you see what's wrong and just rename the required file in different case and continue.

I used old save from previous version for this test.
Maybe repeating the game from the very beginning can help, but RPGM engine don't let you just press CTRL and skip everything you already see like Ren'Py do, so it takes too much time. Fading, non-skipping animations... Irritating side of RPGM.

OnlyOnce1

Jan 7, 2018
Oh, I forgot about "speedrunner" mode in this game.
Well, let's start from beginning... skipping... skipping... maybe something is wrong, but I don't see it because of skipping :)
At last, unseen content.
2nd fishing: wrong pictures. Keeps showing the one from 2nd jogging.
Bar episode: character icon is still visible during action (I report it missed before).
3rd and 4th Linn examinations are unavailable again.
No exclamation sign at the door, no reaction from character inside. Day or evening - no difference.
Version 0.21e + nwjs-v0.68.1-linux-x64

Reactions: venkatesh66

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
2nd fishing: wrong pictures. Keeps showing the one from 2nd jogging.
Bar episode: character icon is still visible during action (I report it missed before).
3rd and 4th Linn examinations are unavailable again.
No exclamation sign at the door, no reaction from character inside. Day or evening - no difference.
Version 0.21e + nwjs-v0.68.1-linux-x64
I checked with my windows computer and there are no mixed images, missing symbols, and linn's events are available. Everything is still working fine as programmed. The conclusion would be that one of my custom plugins (a plugin from a friend which appears as one of the main programming design in image and animation) is not compatible in any systems except for Windows. Quite frankly, I can only do so much as a solo dev. Cross-checking across platforms is apparently beyond my skill and resource. Based on the game's description, using Windows would be the one and only best solution in solving the issues you're having. I'm afraid that if I keep crosschecking these complex-across-platform issues, I won't be able to create content for the next update because this cross-platform issue consumes much time in my scheduling. Therefore, sorry buddy. Perhaps one day if I have a team of programmers, these kind of issues can be solved quickly.

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
It was the second one I never found. Kept going south every time for days, got the parking lot and roof easy enough. Now it's moot as we are past that and I have new hints I can't do. Can't recall which, but I think I did everything really available.
Thanks Bobber Tail for pointing out a bug that happened to users from V.0.2.0. It affected players who started from the beginning in V.0.2.1. You were right about hints vanishing for "Linn's examination 2".
It was a tough bug. Sorry for that. Here is the fixed version of V.0.2.1 who couldnt tigger "Linn examination 2".
For convenience of those who experienced the same, you may follow these steps:
- load save file 17 that I inserted
- enter linn's door to activate scene
- go to Sasha's hoomestay's rooftop for lotion 1
- talk to fisherman north from Sasha's homestay at night
- sleep
- go to south from Sasha's house (green inferno) for lotion 2 at day
- go to pelangi school parking lot for lotion 3 at day
- talk to fish merchant at the traditional market in the evening
- sleep
- Visit linn one more time to complain about the lotion at day.
- You've completed all content for this version
Thank you for the bug report! You saved the game from its silly game developer!

Reactions: Aswang Roshi

Bobber Tail

Nov 28, 2017
Thanks Bobber Tail for pointing out a bug that happened to users from V.0.2.0. It affected players who started from the beginning in V.0.2.1. You were right about hints vanishing for "Linn's examination 2".
It was a tough bug. Sorry for that. Here is the fixed version of V.0.2.1 who couldnt tigger "Linn examination 2". Mega
For convenience of those who experienced the same, you may follow these steps:
- load save file 17 that I inserted
- enter linn's door to activate scene
- go to Sasha's hoomestay's rooftop for lotion 1
- talk to fisherman north from Sasha's homestay at night
- sleep
- go to south from Sasha's house (green inferno) for lotion 2 at day
- go to pelangi school parking lot for lotion 3 at day
- talk to fish merchant at the traditional market in the evening
- sleep
- Visit linn one more time to complain about the lotion at day.
- You've completed all content for this version
Thank you for the bug report! You saved the game from its silly game developer!
OK, if that is the order of events this may explain things. I did parking lot first, every time I went south I got something like, "Don't want that happening again!", yet I never had been there before. So, triggers misfired allowing parking lot scene before others. I did get the rooftop after a day or two.

fazthestampede

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2017
I did parking lot first, every time I went south I got something like, "Don't want that happening again!", yet I never had been there before.
I see. The reason for Sasha saying that would be the daytime system. It would be implied that you entered the green inferno (south) was in the evening which makes her scared, because she can only enter south if at day (morning).

Reactions: Bobber Tail
4.60 star(s) 12 Votes