VN Ren'Py Completed Scarlet Spire [Final] [AlleyKat Games]

4.00 star(s) 14 Votes

CoffeeDrinker

May 7, 2018
Is anyone else having a problem running Chapter 6?

When I ran Chapter 6 my anti-virus software went nuts and quarantined the executable. Chapters 1-5 ran just fine.

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Is anyone else having a problem running Chapter 6?

When I ran Chapter 6 my anti-virus software went nuts and quarantined the executable. Chapters 1-5 ran just fine.
Anti-virus sometimes does that with Ren'Py. Renpytom has even mentioned it a few times. Just something stupid they do at times. I only use Windows Defender and had no issues. The bigger name ones tend to be pickier at times.

Deleted member 584886

Donor
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2018
@CoffeeDrinker

Pretty much any RenPy executable is indeed sometimes recognized as a virus, under certain conditions by certain Antivirii, like AVG. There is, of course, no virus in Scarlet Spire, this I can vouch as long as you're getting the game from either here on F95 from Uncle's post, or directly through Patreon. My best guess is the addition of an icon built inside executable that triggered it, which is the only difference in the exe itself compared to the earlier releases.

The solution is simple, adding the executable to the exception list of your favorite antivirus.

~AlleyKat

Last edited:

Deleted member 584886

Donor
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2018
@Ammdoss22

Here's the MAC version of the Ch6 release, both compressed and uncompressed format.
Note: We don't have the Mac at hand, so this release haven't been tested to fully work by us. There's no reason it shouldn't, but can't guarantee it will.

Compressed version:
Uncompressed version:

Enjoy

~AlleyKat

playb0y44

Game Compressor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Here's my crunched version.

Image/audio/video quality is reduced to make this smaller. This is not a perfect process and sometimes can break a game. You've been warned so no complaining.

Scarlet Spire [Ch. 6] [AlleyKat Games] - Original Size: 1.51GB

Download Win (117.53MB):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Canto Forte

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Here's my crunched version.

Image/audio/video quality is reduced to make this smaller. This is not a perfect process and sometimes can break a game. You've been warned so no complaining.

Scarlet Spire [Ch. 6] [AlleyKat Games] - Original Size: 1.51GB

Download Win (117.53MB):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
What's different or special about yours? Since there is already an official one.

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
The official one is 581.19MB my turned out to be 117.53 MB.
So you were able to keep the quality of the music and images? That's a huge difference. With the amazing music in the game. I doubt that quality would keep with that type of compression. Not to mention the images. The official half a gig compressed looked and sounded great to me. I guess if someone doesn't care about the quality though, it wouldn't matter. I don't understand it myself. :unsure:

playb0y44

Game Compressor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
So you were able to keep the quality of the music and images? That's a huge difference. With the amazing music in the game. I doubt that quality would keep with that type of compression. Not to mention the images. The official half a gig compressed looked and sounded great to me. I guess if someone doesn't care about the quality though, it wouldn't matter. I don't understand it myself. :unsure:
i use a tool made by joint effort of bossapplesauce , Sam and GamingLord, it reduce the size of the game to help people who have slow internet speed or data limit.
so i am not sure how much quality is reduced but for me i don't really notice much difference, other then that i use f.lux on my screen so that also change colors.
when i download a game with huge size i compress it and upload for other users to enjoy the game with little and fast download.

Reactions: Canto Forte

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
i use a tool made by joint effort of bossapplesauce , Sam and GamingLord, it reduce the size of the game to help people who have slow internet speed or data limit.
so i am not sure how much quality is reduced but for me i don't really notice much difference, other then that i use f.lux on my screen so that also change colors.
when i download a game with huge size i compress it and upload for other users to enjoy the game with little and fast download.
I just hope the quality doesn't affect anyone's opinion on the original game from the devs. Seems like 581mb is reasonable in today's streaming/youtube/gifs world now. Making games aren't easy, even a VN. Seems like a lot to alter of the original work, just to shave a few mb's or minutes. The last AAA game I downloaded was 80gb. I don't even have great internet. Just have to wait sometimes. But, as I said, I don't really understand.

playb0y44

Game Compressor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I just hope the quality doesn't affect anyone's opinion on the original game from the devs. Seems like 581mb is reasonable in today's streaming/youtube/gifs world now. Making games aren't easy, even a VN. Seems like a lot to alter of the original work, just to shave a few mb's or minutes. The last AAA game I downloaded was 80gb. I don't even have great internet. Just have to wait sometimes. But, as I said, I don't really understand.
Hmm, if you have played the original, download my compressed version and play that then let me know what you think of the quality.
my point of view is that quality aside render/character/background gives the main idea what to expect of a game. for me i guess from seeing the renders i usually have a idea what the game will be like .

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Hmm, if you have played the original, download my compressed version and play that then let me know what you think of the quality.
my point of view is that quality aside render/character/background gives the main idea what to expect of a game. for me i guess from seeing the renders i usually have a idea what the game will be like .
I did try it. That's the reason I'm asking so many questions. Sounded terrible compared to the official uncompressed and the compressed. The image quality would look bad on my fridge screen but, it was on my 27" 1080p screen.
1c6.gif

It seems to me that this version is like the photocopied version of a book, preview in a newspaper. The only problem is that there are more than words. I have seen way more people complain on game threads about image quality and even music, which frankly is still not that common, which is why this game's unique and self-produced music is great.

Seems like the version from the dev would be the best way to know "what to expect of a game". After all, since they made it.

Again, I hope people think the way you do about it being a "preview". Just not the experience I have seen from people. Just seems unfair to the devs, any devs. Does help me understand why some do complain about quality when I see no issues. On many games.

DanThaMan

Engaged Member
Jun 25, 2017
I did try it. That's the reason I'm asking so many questions. Sounded terrible compared to the official uncompressed and the compressed. The image quality would look bad on my fridge screen but, it was on my 27" 1080p screen.
View attachment 303450

It seems to me that this version is like the photocopied version of a book, preview in a newspaper. The only problem is that there are more than words. I have seen way more people complain on game threads about image quality and even music, which frankly is still not that common, which is why this game's unique and self-produced music is great.

Seems like the version from the dev would be the best way to know "what to expect of a game". After all, since they made it.

Again, I hope people think the way you do about it being a "preview". Just not the experience I have seen from people. Just seems unfair to the devs, any devs. Does help me understand why some do complain about quality when I see no issues. On many games.
Not sure why you're making such a big deal about it, it's just a compressed version for people with slower internet speeds.

CoffeeDrinker

May 7, 2018
@CoffeeDrinker

Pretty much any RenPy executable is indeed sometimes recognized as a virus, under certain conditions by certain Antivirii, like AVG. There is, of course, no virus in Scarlet Spire, this I can vouch as long as you're getting the game from either here on F95 from Uncle's post, or directly through Patreon. My best guess is the addition of an icon built inside executable that triggered it, which is the only difference in the exe itself compared to the earlier releases.

The solution is simple, adding the executable to the exception list of your favorite antivirus.

~AlleyKat
Thanks AlleyKat for the response. Great game by the way :)

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Not sure why you're making such a big deal about it, it's just a compressed version for people with slower internet speeds.
Mostly cause it's an inferior shittier version of the game. Personally, as a player quality matters to me but as a Dev it matters more. I know how much work and time is required to do even one good quality image. Not saying anything about audio quality. Which can be even more drastic. I find it highly unlikely that the lesser quality doesn't influence a person's opinion of the game. Usually the shittier the quality, the worse the opinion. Not much else I can say without repeating myself though. So here's a gif to finialze my thoughts on it.
giphy (1).gif

4.00 star(s) 14 Votes