4.00 star(s) 14 Votes

bas

retired
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Here's my crunched version.

Image/audio/video quality is reduced to make shit smaller. This is not a perfect process and sometimes can break a game. You've been warned so no bitching.

Scarlet Spire [Ch. 6] [AlleyKat Games] - Original Size: 1.50GB

Download PC (104MB): - - -

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
To be honest, its an insult to most of us devs. We work hard on these games and proud of the quality we produce. Now there are a few mods on here that compress them and ive played their compressed versions and they weren't bad, however there is a definite quality drop.

As it is i compress RTP images and sound already so teh version i put out i feel showcases what i would like everyone to see. I know AlleyKat do similar for SS.

I understand there are those with slow internet speeds, unfortunately nothing we can do about it to speed up their internet speed. I play Lucky Mark and Adventures of Willie D both over 10GB. I have ot wait for it to download, which i do as i want to play the game the way the dev wanted me to play it, he's quality version.

Would you buy a VW after it was stripped by a third party to make it cheaper and then still call it quality version of what VW wanted you to have?

Not sure why you're making such a big deal about it, it's just a compressed version for people with slower internet speeds.

bas

retired
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
To be honest, its an insult to most of us devs. We work hard on these games and proud of the quality we produce. Now there are a few mods on here that compress them and ive played their compressed versions and they weren't bad, however there is a definite quality drop.

As it is i compress RTP images and sound already so teh version i put out i feel showcases what i would like everyone to see. I know AlleyKat do similar for SS.

I understand there are those with slow internet speeds, unfortunately nothing we can do about it to speed up their internet speed. I play Lucky Mark and Adventures of Willie D both over 10GB. I have ot wait for it to download, which i do as i want to play the game the way the dev wanted me to play it, he's quality version.

Would you buy a VW after it was stripped by a third party to make it cheaper and then still call it quality version of what VW wanted you to have?
I've personally compressed hundreds of games and devs who are size-conscious are the exception, not the rule. Most games still use uncompressed PNGs. Many games have images included that aren't used in the game. Many games have 60fps videos with higher bitrates than 4k UHD HDR Bluray rips; I compressed one game earlier today that had a ~300MB animated logo video to play when the game starts. That clip was 9 seconds long.

Aside from having slow or unreliable connections, many of our members have metered internet; they have a finite amount of data in a month that they cannot go over. Sometimes as little as 1 or 2 GB for a month. There are entire countries where this is the norm. Their choice is either download the shitty-quality compressed version, or don't play the game at all.

The notion that this is somehow insulting to devs is simply baffling to me. By your reasoning, I'm insulting filmmakers by watching their work on a 1080p television when there's a 4K UHD version available.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I am sorry you feel this way as i have said some of hte mods version on here are good. Also as i have mentioned some of us devs do compress their games. I cannot speak for those who dont care as you've mentioned.

Not sure why you are baffled and it seems you are offended at my opinion on the matter?

Tell you what make your own game put the hours and see how you would feel if someone thinks its needs compressing even after youve done your own compressing before releasing.

I'm not complaining simply pointing out how i feel and how i would like my game to be played. Whether i like it or not it will happen, fair enough.

I live in South Africa, trust me i know about shitty/overpriced internet.

And yes its insulting to filmakers i guess as they would want you to buy the movie or pay for it and see it in the version they release and not a cam copy.

I've personally compressed hundreds of games and devs who are size-conscious are the exception, not the rule. Most games still use uncompressed PNGs. Many games have images included that aren't used in the game. Many games have 60fps videos with higher bitrates than 4k UHD HDR Bluray rips; I compressed one game earlier today that had a ~300MB animated logo video to play when the game starts. That clip was 9 seconds long.

Aside from having slow or unreliable connections, many of our members have metered internet; they have a finite amount of data in a month that they cannot go over. Sometimes as little as 1 or 2 GB for a month. There are entire countries where this is the norm. Their choice is either download the shitty-quality compressed version, or don't play the game at all.

The notion that this is somehow insulting to devs is simply baffling to me. By your reasoning, I'm insulting filmmakers by watching their work on a 1080p television when there's a 4K UHD version available.

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017

I know that some devs forget a lot of extra stuff in their builds. Way before I started my game or even Daz for fanart. I use to make Android ports for myself. There was a lot I had to delete to make them work. In fact, taught me a lot of what was needed and not needed before I started. I also notice plenty that didn't. That was always nice to see. They were the easiest.

I get that there may be internet restrictions. That still doesn't affect the way a creator would feel about the lesser quality of their product. With a 1080 television example, they usually make that version. If it's the cam version as MrKnobb mentioned. I totally understand them being pissed.

It just comes down to the original intent of the creator. Regardless of whatever the reason is, having a lesser version out there sucks. Just the way of being a creator. What I don't understand is why there need to be so many Unofficial ones and linked in the op without any of the contexts in the post. You mentioned very straight up that it is not the same quality as the official one but if it's just a link in the op. Those downloading it there, don't know that.

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
What I don't understand is why there need to be so many Unofficial ones and linked in the op without any of the contexts in the post. You mentioned very straight up that it is not the same quality as the official one but if it's just a link in the op. Those downloading it there, don't know that.
We're supposed to link to the post where the unofficial version is posted, not the direct download links. Mistakes can happen though.

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
We're supposed to link to the post where the unofficial version is posted, not the direct download links. Mistakes can happen though.
That does sound like the better way. Hopefully, there can be fewer mistakes. It just can be frustrating for a Dev. I think all of us have accepted the pirate aspect but it always seemed F95 had a bit more care not to make a Devs life worse. Like the moderation of threads and such. Getting a bad first impression really hurts any game. Especially if it's caused by outside alteration.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Just so the balance is restored - moving images on screen is a heavy load on any game engine. Games you buy on DVD come compressed to knigdome come - yes the whole part of shipping a game for the public is a very lucrative and necessary commodity in today's market.
Anyone who ever played a game knows YOU HAVE TO INSTALL IT TO MAKE IT SEaMLESS! - MEANING THAT THE PROPRIETARY VIDS AND PICS GAME RESOURCES HAVE TO INTERWOVEN IN THE PLAYER COMPUTER FROM THE VERY BEGINNING TO STAND A CHANCE OF RUNNING THE WAY THE CREATORS INTENDED!

THE FACT THAT creators refuse to acknowledge that making portable versions of their games DO NOT EQUAL SHIPPING THEM THE WAy THE REAL GAME INDUSTRY INTERPRETS THE NORM!

WHENEVER ANYONE JUST UNZIPS/UNRARS SOME GAME DISTRO - that is a prayer for the gaming rig to actually run the anomalous foreign object that just got transplanted onto they body - with no transfusion, no pain medication, no NOTHING!

You are a superhero bas!
Keep fighting for the little man!
Do not listen to the nay Sayers!
Let your super power carry you into the clouds of glory!

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
You are right about the effort and the intent.
But this is a forum. bas is a mod who has to show some level of compassion for his flock.
I am happy anyone is putting the time and effort into anything to offer the community.
bas cannot threaten and neither ban others from doing compressed versions of their own.
bas cannot restrict a program that this forum made and promotes for his users.
bas cannot restrict the use of a program he himself designed and shipped to this forum.
bas has to answer the players for smaller and smaller builds.
To close it off - compression is a gimmick for the users of this forum to feel like they can give back to the community. Please do not make them regret ever coming here in the first place.

Last edited:

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
You are right about the effort and the intent.
But this is a forum. bas is a mod who has to show some level of compassion for his flock.
I am happy anyone is putting the time and effort into anything to offer the community.
bas cannot threaten and neither ban others from doing compressed versions of their own.
bas cannot restrict a program that this forum made and promotes for his users.
bas cannot restrict the use of a program he himself designed and shipped to this forum.
bas has to answer the players for smaller and smaller builds.
To close it off - compression is a gimmick for the users of this forum to feel like thei can give back to the community. Please do not make them regret ever coming here in the first place.
My intention from the beginning was simply to make sure that there is simple clarification about unofficial alterations. Knowing that first impressions color everyone's opinion of everything and everyone.

As a fan of the game I want only to make sure people experience the best version.

Of course as a dev I'd like the same for mine but I'm here on this thread purely for Scarlet Spire. If anyone hasn't been able to hear the original music and see the renders which get exponentially better. I suggest you do so. After all what's the point of "pirating" something if you don't want to try for the best version, imo. :sneaky:

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Yup ... all of these coming' to that spire to ... cease the day!
action, -> finally out of thriller cocoon !
comedy, -> why so serious ... !?
mystery -> had to keep something aground for the spin off...

4.00 star(s) 14 Votes