wolfas

Jun 30, 2018
anyone know how to finish angie quest 1? i have 2 options unlock but the last dont know how to get.
somedoy ask how to buy perfumes for her but dont see that option anyhere.

forget it, found it

Last edited:

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
this game has some of the best characters and scenes ever, but the absolute worst design of all time, from a developer that's outright hostile to users and spends actual effort to put in anticheat checks in the code to thwart attempts to skip the mind boggling grind.

I challenge you to find other instances of UIs where the "close" button is a floating X in random places on the screen, or with more disregard for basic UI design principles like structure and visual relationships between elements. I don't think I could come up with a more hostile UX if I tried.
After many start overs, I got tired and started cheesing the code and using the console to jump into scenes, and even that took me hours.

I imagine the dev would not allow it, but this game should be reworked to remove the insane busywork involved in between scenes.
You can still build up anticipation and make things interesting without being outright hateful to the player.
The game's content deserves to be seen by more people, but with a better experience, just like Big Brother.
The most annoying part is that it's in Russian, so you have to work twice as hard to figure out what's going on to take out the RNG, reduce the grind, or do label jumps... Then he uses a bunch of persistent variables to fuck with you on top of that. Russian indie devs are the worst offenders on that type of crap.

HillDweller

Mar 31, 2020
The most annoying part is that it's in Russian, so you have to work twice as hard to figure out what's going on to take out the RNG, reduce the grind, or do label jumps... Then he uses a bunch of persistent variables to fuck with you on top of that. Russian indie devs are the worst offenders on that type of crap.
and most of the time the variables are misnomers or reused from something else, and have numbers tacked on in random parts, like:

father_rezerv_lock2
father_rezerv_lock4
kate_rezerv2_point
elly_rezerv4_point

which is especially heinous since the Renpy console does not autocomplete, so you always have to double check where the number is as you're typing.
It's like invisible serrated blades that cut you when you try to use the code (just like the UI), and it feels like it's by design. The guy went to extreme measures to make the code write only.
This is some Patrick Bateman shit.

Reactions: yoyomistro

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
and most of the time the variables are misnomers or reused from something else, and have numbers tacked on in random parts, like:

father_rezerv_lock2
father_rezerv_lock4
kate_rezerv2_point
elly_rezerv4_point

which is especially heinous since the Renpy console does not autocomplete, so you always have to double check where the number is as you're typing.
It's like invisible serrated blades that cut you when you try to use the code (just like the UI), and it feels like it's by design. The guy went to extreme measures to make the code write only.
Yep. I lost count of the number of times I had to double check variables to make sure I had the right iteration. Honestly this game makes the script in a game like Foot of the Mountains look coherent. At least that has an easy to follow chronological order that can be parsed. And there's no "range-based" progression in that like with the nerd stat where you have to make sure you don't pass a threshold so you don't fuck up your progression, or dice-rolls for stats or progression elements. If this game were in unity I would probably have deleted it within an hour. At least in Ren'Py you can see the fuckery and try to unfuck it as best you can.

Reactions: HillDweller

VNorth

Donor
Game Developer
May 18, 2017

LOL. Renpy of that version did not support autofill.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
does mod work with compressed version? i got tons of errors. unless i did smth wrong...
Looking at the mod, it's completely outdated. Not remotely worth even trying to make work. Honestly I've just been modding the game files on my own as I play. I spent about 8 hours on the game and didn't get too far progression-wise, only finished like 6 or 7 quests, but I spent a lot of that time parsing the scripts and the stupid volleyball game plus its storyline, lol (Turns out if you win too many times it fucks up the progression, so don't win until you get the option to harass your teammate and then only win 3 sets to unlock the story options).

Even if the mod were compatible with the current version of the game, it doesn't change much and leaves all the most egregious issues in place. If you're mainly concerned about making all the hotspots visible, if you've unpacked the game you can go in the pakr.rpy file and change the bottom sections like this:

style.transp77777777_button.background = "#4177"
style.transp99999999_button.background = "#4177"

That turns them purple and slightly translucent. You can make them any color you want, the first three digits are hex RBG values, so anything from 0-F, and the 4th digit is the alpha, or transparency; the lower it is the more translucent. If you want more granularity in opacity and color choice you can also put it in the format "#00000080".

Reactions: Acryz

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
is it (almost) unplayable without a mod ? if there is no sufficient qol (and not clear how much guide covers. 1.2v only?) i probably pass. renders there are soso

VNorth

Donor
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Looking at the mod, it's completely outdated.
(Turns out if you win too many times it fucks up the progression, so don't win until you get the option to harass your teammate and then only win 3 sets to unlock the story options).
If you want more granularity in opacity and color choice you can also put it in the format "#00000080".
There are no branches in the game that stop the progress. In volleyball, the storyline doesn't end, you probably didn't understand the code.
I assume that the mod is also not outdated.
The public version has a file for highlighting the buttons, probably not the public version is posted here.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
There are no branches in the game that stop the progress. In volleyball, the storyline doesn't end, you probably didn't understand the code.
I assume that the mod is also not outdated.
The public version has a file for highlighting the buttons, probably not the public version is posted here.
Yes you can mess up or slow down progress... I was just testing it out at first without looking at things too closely, and I just won a bunch of times to see what would happen and nothing did. Then I lost a bunch like the guide says but still nothing happened... Then I decided to check what was going on and it doesn't check the number of wins/losses but the difference between wins and losses... So to progress at the first stage of the quest you need 3 more losses than wins so if you win a bunch then you have to lose that many times plus 3 which is really unintuitive, or just lower your wins in the console. There's a bunch of other unintuitive/not player friendly stuff like that.

I understand that it's your game and you feel you did a good job but there's just a bunch of stuff in it that's convoluted/random for no good reason just to make progression slow. And it's easy to miss certain content by overshooting stats if you don't know what the thresholds are. It's just not very player friendly design.

VNorth

Donor
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
So to progress at the first stage of the quest you need 3 more losses than wins so if you win a bunch then you have to lose that many times plus 3 which is really unintuitive, or just lower your wins in the console. There's a bunch of other unintuitive/not player friendly stuff like that.
Indeed, the code seems to use the win/loss difference.
Did you really win at volleyball or use the console or other cheats? Volleyball is made in such a way that it is very difficult to win, as long as you do not advance in the plot, the plot moves through losses.
If you used the console to win volleyball games, it's strange to write about game design.
In fact, volleyball has a great game design, you lose and develop the plot, going through the plot, it seems that nothing has changed, but now you can win in volleyball.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Indeed, the code seems to use the win/loss difference.
Did you really win at volleyball or use the console or other cheats? Volleyball is made in such a way that it is very difficult to win, as long as you do not advance in the plot, the plot moves through losses.
If you used the console to win volleyball games, it's strange to write about game design.
In fact, volleyball has a great game design, you lose and develop the plot, going through the plot, it seems that nothing has changed, but now you can win in volleyball.
I made it easier to win by modifying just the opponent speed and then won legitimately. It's unintuitive that you have to lose a certain number of times, then win a certain number of times, then lose again several more times. I know you have the hint system but even with that it's not easy to intuit all the break points and variable thresholds in the game. There are so many points that are just mind-boggling design decisions that are so counter-intuitive as to keep the average player from progressing. I don't mind a difficult or even poorly designed game, but you have combinations of date locking, stat locking, dice rolls, and dependent events that are frustratingly badly designed. Then you use persistent variables to prevent experimenting with events to find the optimal path for people who don't know how to reset persistents.

I compared it unfavorably to Foot of the Mountains, and if you've ever been in that thread you can see how people feel about the design of that game. I gave it a favorable review because I could at least go through the scripts and track the variables to progress optimally. But your game has so many things you have to change to even begin to progress at a reasonable pace by most people's standards.

I'm not saying this to be mean, I've had your game on my radar for a few years now and never actually got around to touching it until this week. Besides the poor resolution I think you could have attracted more support if it had better systems and an easier to parse gameplay loop. Hopefully your new game is more player friendly but I probably won't get to it anytime soon. I'll continue to play this game though and maybe it's just the way I play games where I try to parse every single little design decision or game system, but I'm seeing other feedback in the thread regarding the convoluted nature of the game. I'll give it a fair shake though hopefully I'll be able to finish it within a couple of months.

VNorth

Donor
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
I made it easier to win by modifying just the opponent speed and then won legitimately. ... Then you use persistent variables to prevent experimenting...
I don't think this game should be dissected for game design.
I tried to develop a game, and I had no idea that I would be doing this for three years. During the development process, I learned something new and experimented with it, it is not necessary to look for any coherent system of game design here.:)
Okay, the main thing is that we found out that you broke the volleyball plot yourself.

Last edited:

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I don't think this game should be dissected for game design.
I tried to develop a game, and I had no idea that I would be doing this for three years. During the development process, I learned something new and experimented with it, it is not necessary to look for any coherent system of game design here.:)
Okay, the main thing is that we found out that you broke the volleyball plot yourself.
If that's all you got from what I said I guess that's OK lol, but I said way more than that and other people have offered their critique throughout the thread as well. I won the game legitimately a few times then just made it easier to win so I could see where it goes. I'm glad you admit you had no idea where you would take it over a long period of time and therefore it resulted in some incoherent design, I'll keep that in mind as I go through it. Honestly the main game being in Russian is throwing me off as well so it's a bit harder to find the optimal paths through content than with a game in a latin alphabet as I'm literate in a few languages and can parse the syntax of others.

Hopefully you improved in your new game and developed a better core gameplay loop. I'll probably continue to post on this thread as I go through the game and hope you don't take every criticism personally, and look circumspectly at good faith reviews of your systems and design. Regardless of the parameters by which you think people should judge your game, they are going to define them based on expectations and experiences with similar offerings or what they consider to be reasonable or intuitive expectations.

3.00 star(s) 66 Votes