NocturnalDev

Game Developer
May 18, 2021
Yeah, he has compassion for people unless they become his enemies. This can be clearly seen with his interactions with the mermaid (although maybe he has more compassion for non-humans?).
I don't think he differentiates too much between humans and other humanoids. In her case, it was more about her being trapped there. It is on the planned scenes for him to talk about how he hates being imprisoned, but I think he already talked a little about it with Hannah. It is an important part of his personality that even though he is evil, he doesn't enjoy fighting or violence. He only does it out of need. So, when he sees that she is not a threat, he sees no reason to harm her.

Reactions: bacienvu88

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
I'm in the process to get someone to check things for me. I hope it works out.
I really do too man, cause the english seems to be getting worse, not better, and i found myself being absolutely lost several times this update. I like this game, i like the story and the setting, but the english is absolutely holding it back from reaching the level of success it deserves.

Reactions: NocturnalDev

icollectsouls

Jul 15, 2018
Played through this yesterday. It's interesting, maybe not 100% my thing but not bad.
Some thoughts:
  • I like the variety in the girls, even if they're not really doing too much beyond normal Koikatsu limits. As of right now, even without any real scenes involving her, Claire is probably my favorite. She's the most rational and seemingly-intelligent of the women... and I'm just into grouchy older types.
  • Some of the characterization feels inconsistent?
    • Laura's introduced as someone who doesn't like to be "treated as a lady," gets mad when you interfere with her stuff (like the time where you can fix the stuff in her tent at night with magic), and generally has an assertive personality... but also gets horny for Zahak because he's ~so strong~ and pins her down in combat training, even to the point where she becomes a total sub during sex.
      • Even with an understanding that someone's personality doesn't really match with their sexual preferences, I feel like what she "advertises" to the player (a more aggressive woman that could possibly take the lead even with someone like Zahak) is vastly different to what you actually get in the sex scene with her. (That, and it just feels like a rehash of the "strong woman submitting to the even stronger man" scenario that I've never been a fan of.)
    • While I understand that Zahak himself is supposed to be on the more "enigmatic" side, I feel like a lot of the choices you can make as the player don't really match up with how Zahak acts when you're not in control. I generally tried to play him as "good" and "nice" as possible, but that doesn't change his overall writing as a vaguely-selfish "looking out for himself" type where most acts of good-will are mostly for his own benefit or because he knows ~so much better~ than everyone else. There's exceptions where he acts more selfless without player input, like whenever he deals with Koriso or when he brings back the diving board for the pool, but most of the time I'd say it's kinda disappointing that you don't really have any influence on his personality.
      • I also feel like "Zahak in romantic or erotic situations" and "Zahak every other moment" might as well be two completely different characters. His overall desire to survive on the island, but more importantly, make it off the island and get his armor back, makes it seem like he really shouldn't be interested in sex, much less developing any kind of romantic relationship with these women. But as soon as he gets flirted with it's like he suddenly goes into this Chad Thundercock mode where he's capable of making any woman have the best sex of their life.
There's more I could probably write, but I'm just going to leave it at this for now.

NocturnalDev

Game Developer
May 18, 2021
Played through this yesterday. It's interesting, maybe not 100% my thing but not bad.
Some thoughts:
  • I like the variety in the girls, even if they're not really doing too much beyond normal Koikatsu limits. As of right now, even without any real scenes involving her, Claire is probably my favorite. She's the most rational and seemingly-intelligent of the women... and I'm just into grouchy older types.
  • Some of the characterization feels inconsistent?
    • Laura's introduced as someone who doesn't like to be "treated as a lady," gets mad when you interfere with her stuff (like the time where you can fix the stuff in her tent at night with magic), and generally has an assertive personality... but also gets horny for Zahak because he's ~so strong~ and pins her down in combat training, even to the point where she becomes a total sub during sex.
      • Even with an understanding that someone's personality doesn't really match with their sexual preferences, I feel like what she "advertises" to the player (a more aggressive woman that could possibly take the lead even with someone like Zahak) is vastly different to what you actually get in the sex scene with her. (That, and it just feels like a rehash of the "strong woman submitting to the even stronger man" scenario that I've never been a fan of.)
    • While I understand that Zahak himself is supposed to be on the more "enigmatic" side, I feel like a lot of the choices you can make as the player don't really match up with how Zahak acts when you're not in control. I generally tried to play him as "good" and "nice" as possible, but that doesn't change his overall writing as a vaguely-selfish "looking out for himself" type where most acts of good-will are mostly for his own benefit or because he knows ~so much better~ than everyone else. There's exceptions where he acts more selfless without player input, like whenever he deals with Koriso or when he brings back the diving board for the pool, but most of the time I'd say it's kinda disappointing that you don't really have any influence on his personality.
      • I also feel like "Zahak in romantic or erotic situations" and "Zahak every other moment" might as well be two completely different characters. His overall desire to survive on the island, but more importantly, make it off the island and get his armor back, makes it seem like he really shouldn't be interested in sex, much less developing any kind of romantic relationship with these women. But as soon as he gets flirted with it's like he suddenly goes into this Chad Thundercock mode where he's capable of making any woman have the best sex of their life.
There's more I could probably write, but I'm just going to leave it at this for now.
First of all, thanks for the feedback. I always take these in consideration, and they help me improve how I write these characters.

About Laura. I get your point, but her thing is that she appreciates strength. When Mc first gets there, she was one of the people that didn't like him being there. But once she saw that he wasn't a dead weight, she changed her views on him. Their relationship won't be a sub/dom thing, but a rough sex thing where she'll find out that he has way more stamina than her.
About the fixing her stuff, I'll need to check this scene, because I might have fucked up and not made it clear. The way it was supposed to go is that she gets made if you don't admit you did it, and get suspicious if you fixed anything she considers impossible to fix. But she shouldn't get mad at you just for fixing stuff.

About MC. These changes will be gradual. The diving board is actually made based on some of the players choices, I just don't ask anything at that moment, but maybe I could've let players make a choice there. There will be other situations where you will have the choice, but this could've been one of them.
As someone else pointed out, I don't think the route we are going with this character will make him good. The changes are more on how he considers the others. He will keep not giving a shit about people he doesn't know, but start
There is an important moment at the end of chapter 4 when someone he respects points out to him his bullshit. One scene that I consider a good turning point for him will be the next time they see themselves in conflict. The first time, with the militia, he just acted as you said: like he knows ~so much better~ than everyone else. But this time he'll let the others help. Also, you will be able to avoid violence whenever possible.
About the Chad Thundercock mode. That is a bit intentional, and we will learn more about it later. He will talk about how he was made and raised with two things in mind: kill stuff and reproduce. Or war and sex, as he will put it. So, yes, he has great desire of leaving the place, but his desire for sex will also leave him open for developing these relationships.

Almost forgot about Claire. Mc doesn't like authority, but is growing to respect her. I hope you like how their relationship will evolve over time.

Last edited:

ggt95

Sep 20, 2019
Is it just me, or is this render not in the game?

Game's good, but girls hanging out topless on a beach is kind of a thing I look for, and seeing this in the OP screenshots is what convinced me to give it a go.

The English can use some work and the story is a bit self-indulgent but so far no big complaints

NocturnalDev

Game Developer
May 18, 2021
Is it just me, or is this render not in the game?

Game's good, but girls hanging out topless on a beach is kind of a thing I look for, and seeing this in the OP screenshots is what convinced me to give it a go.

The English can use some work and the story is a bit self-indulgent but so far no big complaints
Yes, this render was from a removed scene, but it will come back later. I decide it was a bit too soon for that, and moved that for a later chapter. But it will happen.

Thanks for giving it a go, and for the feedbacks.

ggt95

Sep 20, 2019
Sounds good. I know that as an adult game creator, you are definitely tired of people asking for things in the game, but here are my suggestions in the same vein as my question:
  • Beach toplessness/nudity
  • Urban toplessness/nudity (while exploring?)
  • Only one girl topless/nude around other (clothed) girls
  • Only one clothed girl among several nude girls
  • Basically mixtures of clothed and unclothed girls
  • Casual nudism
  • Girls convincing each other to get topless/naked
  • Casual barefoot girls
  • etc etc
  • Any of the above being something the girls want to explore and not something being forced on them
This kind of stuff really fits the setting and the world the story is in. If any of this feels to you like it fits with your story, I'd be happy to see it. Otherwise feel free to not think about my suggestions.

I've played poorly machine-translated Japanese games before, and I'm guessing a lot of us have, so the English isn't the worst part of the text (for me). I think lore is fine, but some parts of the game are too wordy. The movie discussions in particular strike me as a little over the top. It's not as bad as some games/stories where the author insists on having the characters say a 2000-word essay on what the author thinks about a stupid unnecessary political opinion (especially when it's a bad opinion!). But I try not to click through all the text, which is what I ended up doing after some movie scenes. I don't like when that happens, and it sucks that you spent time writing stuff that a lot of us will click through.

Story-wise, I think a lot of it is over the top. I think that's okay, but I wouldn't mind things being a little more down to earth. I understand the power fantasy and all, but 'some god casually bangs and kills whatever he wants' is hammy even by adult VN standards.

That's my 2 cents. If there was some tool to help us edit RenPy text in real time and then save the changes to a file we can send to you, it would be great for this game. Ah well. At least most text is fine. Just clunky. You write better here than in the game (writing characters is a separate skill from writing so that's normal for all game authors), so I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:

NocturnalDev

Game Developer
May 18, 2021
Sounds good. I know that as an adult game creator, you are definitely tired of people asking for things in the game, but here are my suggestions in the same vein as my question:
  • Beach toplessness/nudity
  • Urban toplessness/nudity (while exploring?)
  • Only one girl topless/nude around other (clothed) girls
  • Only one clothed girl among several nude girls
  • Basically mixtures of clothed and unclothed girls
  • Casual nudism
  • Girls convincing each other to get topless/naked
  • Casual barefoot girls
  • etc etc
  • Any of the above being something the girls want to explore and not something being forced on them
This kind of stuff really fits the setting and the world the story is in. If any of this feels to you like it fits with your story, I'd be happy to see it. Otherwise feel free to not think about my suggestions.

I've played poorly machine-translated Japanese games before, and I'm guessing a lot of us have, so the English isn't the worst part of the text (for me). I think lore is fine, but some parts of the game are too wordy. The movie discussions in particular strike me as a little over the top. It's not as bad as some games/stories where the author insists on having the characters say a 2000-word essay on what the author thinks about a stupid unnecessary political opinion (especially when it's a bad opinion!). But I try not to click through all the text, which is what I ended up doing after some movie scenes. I don't like when that happens, and it sucks that you spent time writing stuff that a lot of us will click through.

Story-wise, I think a lot of it is over the top. I think that's okay, but I wouldn't mind things being a little more down to earth. I understand the power fantasy and all, but 'some god casually bangs and kills whatever he wants' is hammy even by adult VN standards.

That's my 2 cents. If there was some tool to help us edit RenPy text in real time and then save the changes to a file we can send to you, it would be great for this game. Ah well. At least most text is fine. Just clunky. You write better here than in the game (writing characters is a separate skill from writing so that's normal for all game authors), so I'm not worried about it.
I'm not tired of people asking for things, or telling me anything. I actually love to hear people's opinion and talk about my game in general.

About nudity in general. That is a thing Iris talked with MC at the start, she wants the place to be less strict. So it is within the realm of possibilities almost everything you asked. There are two scenes with Sarah in urban places, and one of them is in a park. I imagine that counts. There will be more scenes with her in places like that. But I don't think we will see many of those with other characters.

About the movies. I'm not pushing any of my ideas through the MC. I actually do not agree with him in many things. These talks are ways to expose a bit of their personalities. I believe the way we fell about fiction shows much about our personality. The idea behind these scenes is to make characters spend time together, and learn more about each other. But I can see some people not liking these conversations.

Well, he is powerful, but he is no god. I'm being very careful with power levels here. As an RPG player, I use it as a base for most characters. Most of them have a sheet, or at least parts of it. I won't pull powers out of MC's ass just to let him do anything. Everything he can and can't do was established way before I started the story (I could even release his sheet later if anyone wants to see it). I don't know if it will mean anything to you, but he is a CR15 character, and most of the others vary between 1 and 5. Most of the things he has to deal with has no chance against him. I consider anything under lvl8 an auto win. But there will be stronger enemies along the way. Stuff he can't just walk to them and kill without giving a fuck.

I think you can do the editing while playing if you have the renpy engine installed, and open the game as a renpy project you can access the interactive direct with "D" or "shift+D" to access the developer menu.
My writing took a dive recently because I changed the way I work in the game. I'm not doing this full time, only weekends and free time. So, my original plan was to just release a chapter whenever I finished it. But that could take months between release. That is something more famous VNs might afford, but I was going to fall into oblivion if I did that. So I changed to make monthly releases of whatever I finished. That means I have to rush to meet my own deadlines when I have other things to do in the weekend. So I can have at least some content.
The general issue with quality assurance (and tests in general) is that the person doing the work shouldn't be the same testing. Because I already know what the story was supposed to be, so it is harder to catch mistakes. I'm in the process of getting someone to help me, and I got someone who said she would help me, but I'm still waiting to see.

Reactions: ggt95

ggt95

Sep 20, 2019
About nudity in general. That is a thing Iris talked with MC at the start, she wants the place to be less strict. So it is within the realm of possibilities almost everything you asked. There are two scenes with Sarah in urban places, and one of them is in a park. I imagine that counts. There will be more scenes with her in places like that. But I don't think we will see many of those with other characters.
That's cool. By urban I don't just mean in the abandoned city. Just around the island and so on. The casualness of it, in a way that isn't overtly sexual, isn't something I see in many VNs. An interesting dynamic might be one of the moms discovering her daughter is hanging out topless at the pool or beach (or the other way around) and wanting to try it out for herself, or characters introducing these ideas to each other... idk really, it depends on how you want to write your characters. But I'm of course going to suggest what I like lol. Maybe some of the girls who are friends want to try some nudist activities. I don't know. These themes fit into this game and similar games, and unfortunately a lot of VN devs feel like you need to skip straight to raw dogging in the open for a fictional community to seem "less strict". I think that casual nudity (full, partial, all kinds of variations) is more interesting, and suits the characters more than just public debauchery. I also think it suits the dynamics of a small community. But again, that's what I'm into, and it's your game, I can only make suggestions, not requests.

Well, he is powerful, but he is no god. I'm being very careful with power levels here. As an RPG player, I use it as a base for most characters. Most of them have a sheet, or at least parts of it. I won't pull powers out of MC's ass just to let him do anything. Everything he can and can't do was established way before I started the story (I could even release his sheet later if anyone wants to see it). I don't know if it will mean anything to you, but he is a CR15 character, and most of the others vary between 1 and 5. Most of the things he has to deal with has no chance against him. I consider anything under lvl8 an auto win. But there will be stronger enemies along the way. Stuff he can't just walk to them and kill without giving a fuck
I do think that comes across. I do think that the casual atmosphere is important, and the lack of danger helps make that atmosphere. I think it's better this way, but it's your story. I just would urge you to not go in too hard on any cheesy danger scenes. The part where the MC takes out the entire militia base was pretty cheesy, IMO.

My writing took a dive recently because I changed the way I work in the game. I'm not doing this full time, only weekends and free time. So, my original plan was to just release a chapter whenever I finished it. But that could take months between release. That is something more famous VNs might afford, but I was going to fall into oblivion if I did that. So I changed to make monthly releases of whatever I finished. That means I have to rush to meet my own deadlines when I have other things to do in the weekend. So I can have at least some content.
Don't worry too much about it. The update timing seems to be perfectly fine, looking through the thread. As long as there's nothing egregious going on, such as some devs announcing updates years in advance (with very active patreons), the pace of updates is something we all understand. This is a side project, nobody has unrealistic expectations.

NocturnalDev

Game Developer
May 18, 2021
That's cool. By urban I don't just mean in the abandoned city. Just around the island and so on. The casualness of it, in a way that isn't overtly sexual, isn't something I see in many VNs. An interesting dynamic might be one of the moms discovering her daughter is hanging out topless at the pool or beach (or the other way around) and wanting to try it out for herself, or characters introducing these ideas to each other... idk really, it depends on how you want to write your characters. But I'm of course going to suggest what I like lol. Maybe some of the girls who are friends want to try some nudist activities. I don't know. These themes fit into this game and similar games, and unfortunately a lot of VN devs feel like you need to skip straight to raw dogging in the open for a fictional community to seem "less strict". I think that casual nudity (full, partial, all kinds of variations) is more interesting, and suits the characters more than just public debauchery. I also think it suits the dynamics of a small community. But again, that's what I'm into, and it's your game, I can only make suggestions, not requests.
Those are all good suggetions. My rule about taking suggestions is: Do I hate it? Does it fit the game? I won't put any content that I hate in the game, and I actually like your idea. It also fits the game too. What I had in mind, and maybe this is a bit of a spoiler, is that Eloise will jump on the pool and lose her top, Aster will point out, but she will just roll with it. Aster won't like the idea at first, but eventually follow suit. Eventually, they both would want to try it at the beach (As in the picture you showed.). But making their moms see that and end up doing the same later, would fit well.

I do think that comes across. I do think that the casual atmosphere is important, and the lack of danger helps make that atmosphere. I think it's better this way, but it's your story. I just would urge you to not go in too hard on any cheesy danger scenes. The part where the MC takes out the entire militia base was pretty cheesy, IMO.
I think I get why you find that scene cheesy, and yes it might be. However, scenes where a character takes a bunch of 'goons' alone are pretty common in games and movies. I could list Half-life, last of us, john wick, avenger and many others. In movies, that is not usually an issue. But in games, players have to feel like it is 'earned'. Since players are the ones aiming the guns and taking the goons, they never feel like it isn't earned. In a VN, that gets complicated. I thought about quick time events and other stuff, but I gave up on them as I don't really think they are fun in any way. I decided that the best way to deal with it was to focus on what choices will have consequences. In the militia build case, these are if the player alerted them of the attack, and if the player called the girls to help him clean the place.
I understand the call to keep things casual, but from time to time they will have to deal with dangers, enemies, and monsters. I don't think the setting will allow me to stay away from these. But it will be just a bit of tension from time to time.

Don't worry too much about it. The update timing seems to be perfectly fine, looking through the thread. As long as there's nothing egregious going on, such as some devs announcing updates years in advance (with very active patreons), the pace of updates is something we all understand. This is a side project, nobody has unrealistic expectations.
Thanks for that.

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
slowly building harem and chilling with the girls is nice and all, i generally like current pace, but i hope there will be some "main plot" progression in future updates
i feel like story barely moved since the beginning - we smashed a seal, got another storm and that was that, beside some lore and backstory crumbs we getting here and there - it's more and more feels like being stuck on some limbo/purgatory island where nothing really happens

NocturnalDev

Game Developer
May 18, 2021
slowly building harem and chilling with the girls is nice and all, i generally like current pace, but i hope there will be some "main plot" progression in future updates
i feel like story barely moved since the beginning - we smashed a seal, got another storm and that was that, beside some lore and backstory crumbs we getting here and there - it's more and more feels like being stuck on some limbo/purgatory island where nothing really happens
True. We have to move the plot forward. The way I was planning these chapters, we would have something important to the plot at the start and/or end of each chapter. In this chapter, it was the encounter with someone from mc's past. I'm trying to find that fine line between too slow and too fast. The main plot will also add other LIs to the story, and I don't want to add new characters before having developed enough of the story with the original characters. On the other side, I don't want people to get bored with all the 'slice of life'.
Now we have two characters other than MC looking for the seals. On sea and on land. It is just a matter of them finding something.

4.10 star(s) 10 Votes