VN Ren'Py Abandoned Secrets of the Browns Family: The Mentalist [v0.05] [Secrets of the Browns Family]

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
It's very hard imho to find new games these days with a fresh story and using unique models etc. There is those that tried to make something different and get shoot down for it. So that some creators just re-hash and regurgitate the same old, because that seems to please the masses isn't that odd. Doesn't make it any more right though.

Remember, every creator out there started out as a untalented hack. If they listen to critics and use it as a growing experience, the better for us as consumers of said games right? If they doesn't they just create their own ruin anyways.

About the bad English. Well, not everyone got English as their primary/native language or even secondary if they even have one. Some use machine translated, or just try their best and still end up horrible. Or you could just play the game in Russian or whatever else language and use a dictionary to try understand it? I never really fault someone for terrible English, because it is what it is.
No! NOT EVERY CREATOR STARTS OUT AS AN UNTALENTED HACK!!! A statement like that makes zero sense.

People with talent, have talent and it shows, whether they are new at their stuff or not.
Like how the story changed or not, but Dr. Pinkcakes work was great from the start, same with Cheekygimp or Pandelo, or Phillygames or any of two or three dozen devs/writers I could name you who all started as complete newbies and already gave content that was awesome.

There's nothing wrong with being bad in English, but if you are then you shouldn't aim your game at the English Market, unless you have an editor for it. If you try to make your game in English and use machine translations, then you deserve all the scorn you get.

Dude, there are so many devs getting unwarranted criticism and I defend those guys, but there's such a thing as being too lenient, too forgiving and your posts in this thread undoubtedly are.
Don't get me wrong, you can set your standards as low as you want, but the hell will I ever agree with them.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
No! NOT EVERY CREATOR STARTS OUT AS AN UNTALENTED HACK!!! A statement like that makes zero sense.

People with talent, have talent and it shows, whether they are new at their stuff or not.
Like how the story changed or not, but Dr. Pinkcakes work was great from the start, same with Cheekygimp or Pandelo, or Phillygames or any of two or three dozen devs/writers I could name you who all started as complete newbies and already gave content that was awesome.

There's nothing wrong with being bad in English, but if you are then you shouldn't aim your game at the English Market, unless you have an editor for it. If you try to make your game in English and use machine translations, then you deserve all the scorn you get.

Dude, there are so many devs getting unwarranted criticism and I defend those guys, but there's such a thing as being too lenient, too forgiving and your posts in this thread undoubtedly are.
Don't get me wrong, you can set your standards as low as you want, but the hell will I ever agree with them.
Well, every creator, start out as a newbie. Is that better? No one start out as a pro at what they do. That come from experience. If a creator can take critic and listen to it, then maybe he/she can grow from it. Shoot someone down based on their very fist release is maybe not the best way, just saying. If they keep release one turd after the other, that is another thing though. No redemption from that.

Doesn't this game come in both Russian and English? So what give the impression its focused on the English market? Look at Avengers games SOB and BK, they Russian with machine translated English. Can't really say they focused at the English market, but there is A LOT of people playing them still.

Kripke

Jan 10, 2018
…you can set your standards as low as you want, but the hell will I ever agree with them.
Totally agree. There are so many bad and unfinished games already present in f95, that there is no need to treat every new game as a rare endangered species. The lower standards community has, the lower is chance for a good quality game to appear. And it’s not always about good language, professional codding and nice arts.

Sometimes we have here something really trashy, with horrible arts, buggy code, engrish… but with interesting plot, fresh gameplay, believable story and characters, some rare and weird kinks, whatever - I’m always willing to support such projects.

A few words about money. Every dev who spend a lot of time and managed to deliver some fun deserves to be paid. But good creation rarely starts with good money, it starts with good idea and a desire to make something decent. Such projects shows some fun first and only then they get a reward. There were many cases when dev never asked money, but community WANTED to pay, so that the interesting game continue to develop.

When a copycat project starts with a Patreon on 0.01 version… It shows that it’s not an artist, not a creator, not a ‘DELIVER DEV’. This is a ‘I WANT MONEY DEV’ type. They have a right to exist, there’s not anything wrong with it, BUT only if they put real amount of quality in it.

Don’t waste your affords, there are so many other things really worthy to be defended.

Reactions: botc76

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
The amount of vitriol in this thread is staggering, going by what two loud critics (if you can even call them that) are saying than basically only Lewdlad, Philly and DrPinks should be making games then, everyone else should just call it quits...

Which is beyond moronic as even the greatest have had mis-steps defend it all you want but AL from chapter 5 to the end is a totally different game form AL ch 1 to 4, a much WORSE game.

In the same vein some others have started pretty bad and gotten better as they went... Parental Love, Love and Submission, and My Sweet Neighbors are clear examples.. MSN was even called amateurish in the renders department in the start, and the dude kept getting better as he went thanks to words of encouragement rather than people telling him to pack it in, and his game was shit.

No amount of complaining is ever going to stop newer creators from using older models, those are either free or 4-10 dollars to buy, pirates dont get to criticize someone for using free or cheap assets when they aint giving the creator even 1 fucking penny... Yes they are trying to make money, why would they sink a couple of grand in assets if their game may never pick up and be out that money ? Besides if its just a cash-grab and not a passion project eventually they will stop without your insults regardless...

Look at Slonique lol, dude is the Tommy Wiseau of adult games and VN, and he keeps on trucking regardless of how many times people tell him to stop tormenting us LOL...

Paprika

Aug 14, 2017
Thanks @gigan, the password "Olivia (mother)" works fine (I had typed in Olivia only).
I don't mind if the dev builds upon an abandoned project, as long as it's improved and finished.

Alexis_1

Jun 11, 2018
The amount of vitriol in this thread is staggering, going by what two loud critics (if you can even call them that) are saying than basically only Lewdlad, Philly and DrPinks should be making games then, everyone else should just call it quits...

Which is beyond moronic as even the greatest have had mis-steps defend it all you want but AL from chapter 5 to the end is a totally different game form AL ch 1 to 4, a much WORSE game.

In the same vein some others have started pretty bad and gotten better as they went... Parental Love, Love and Submission, and My Sweet Neighbors are clear examples.. MSN was even called amateurish in the renders department in the start, and the dude kept getting better as he went thanks to words of encouragement rather than people telling him to pack it in, and his game was shit.

No amount of complaining is ever going to stop newer creators from using older models, those are either free or 4-10 dollars to buy, pirates dont get to criticize someone for using free or cheap assets when they aint giving the creator even 1 fucking penny... Yes they are trying to make money, why would they sink a couple of grand in assets if their game may never pick up and be out that money ? Besides if its just a cash-grab and not a passion project eventually they will stop without your insults regardless...

Look at Slonique lol, dude is the Tommy Wiseau of adult games and VN, and he keeps on trucking regardless of how many times people tell him to stop tormenting us LOL...
It is you who fan your self-importance here. I will answer you with your own words. Do not like it - go away and do not disturb others to enjoy the game. Every man to his own taste.

Reactions: SonnyG932

rafa30

Engaged Member
Aug 2, 2017
I type olivia and incest does not appear
what am I doing wrong?
Does anyone help me activate incest?

SomeOldFart

Nov 18, 2017
OH SHIT! It's Big Brother with ugly models! :eek: But it's in Renpy, so that's cool. I'm actually kinda enjoying it. :)

Raerngaming

Jun 14, 2018
I remember playing this under a different name will look it up if I need to. I got to where your mom's friend that you are living with is talking about her boss coming over to work at home in her room. Let me guess Johnny English is going to be Dominate her and trying to turn her and all of her daughters against you to kick you out of the house so that he can take total control over them all to make them all his slaves/ pets ect. After all that is what happen in that other game and the bad ending in that other game is when you end up shipped off to military school. BTW I stopped playing right when she was talking about her boss coming over and working in her room. Ok I played it well past that point and while there are changes so it might turn out a bit different but the whole feel is the same.

sabinonet

Jan 25, 2018
in the "become friends with jess" i can't pass the pillow fight at 23:00 it's always the same thing

voyeurkind

Jan 26, 2018
* What and why is the password? I just used my name, but why not just ask or that?

* Opening text displays too quickly to read Too small as well, especially for people with poor eyesight like myself.

* What's the point of all these rooms if nothing is clickable?

* Nicole sunbathes a lot.

* Why is there next to no interaction with the girls? This is not the way to showcase a new game.
* This game is about as much fun as a root canal.

I gave up after a bit; The game was going nowhere, the interface is annoying, the tiny text hurt my eyes, and I just wasn't having any fun. In my opinion, this was a ppor showing, even for a 0.01 release.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
* What and why is the password? I just used my name, but why not just ask or that?

* Opening text displays too quickly to read Too small as well, especially for people with poor eyesight like myself.

* What's the point of all these rooms if nothing is clickable?

* Nicole sunbathes a lot.

* Why is there next to no interaction with the girls? This is not the way to showcase a new game.
* This game is about as much fun as a root canal.

I gave up after a bit; The game was going nowhere, the interface is annoying, the tiny text hurt my eyes, and I just wasn't having any fun. In my opinion, this was a ppor showing, even for a 0.01 release.
You answered your own question... It's a 0.01 release.