Ren'Py Abandoned Secrets of Whispering Pines [Day 6] [BLACKHEART GAMES]

4.10 star(s) 38 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinndallas

SD
Donor
Aug 7, 2017
So just to be clear, since I don't think I've played enough of blackheart games, does knowing the storylines of those make any of these brainfucks in this game work more?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

zucite

May 22, 2019
Just chiming in to offer my agreement with some of the folks in the last few pages. I really enjoyed the first few days of the game. The creepy stuff at the camp was terrific. I worried that things would go downhill when they left the camp, but the next couple days were great too -- hiding out at the cabin, pursuing different women, exploring the town and looking for clues.

But the last day or two... I've completely lost track of what's supposed to be going on (and yes, I read the dialogue, I don't just skip through). How many mysterious new characters have we introduced with secret motives? Everybody's got some weird connection to Father, nobody will explain anything, and we're just piling confusion on top of confusion.

And now it's about, like, dueling Mafia families? Who are also part of the childhood backstory? I see in the thread that these are characters from other games, but if they don't fit into this story, what are they adding?

I like the mystery, I like the women despite the backstabbing (but please stop trying to use Black slang for Monique and Miracle, it's really poorly done and cringey), I like the setting. But I'm sorry to say that the story has gone off the rails. I hope it can find its way back.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
The idea of having all the dev's games taking place in the same universe is cool, things like the mc of the guardian visiting the whispering pines camp before the events of this game happen is cool. But when some of your plot points rely on having knowledge of the other games' story, it can make things very confusing for some players. In the guardian I had a hard time following what was happening at some points because a lot of the mafia story was connected to blackheart hotel and I didn't get very far in that game.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
The idea of having all the dev's games taking place in the same universe is cool, things like the mc of the guardian visiting the whispering pines camp before the events of this game happen is cool. But when some of your plot points rely on having knowledge of the other games' story, it can make things very confusing for some players. In the guardian I had a hard time following what was happening at some points because a lot of the mafia story was connected to blackheart hotel and I didn't get very far in that game.
I actually fully agree with this.
I came into game by a recommendation from a friend, and never played Blackheart Hotel or The Guardian.
Even so, until Day 5, I thought SOWP mostly stood well on its own, cause it didn't really rely much on other games (despite being in same Blackheart Universe) to tell its own story and loved it.

However, with Day 6, I felt whole bunch of lore from other games as well as other games' characters were being thrown into the mix in SOWP all of a sudden which I felt detracted from my experience of the update as a whole (in the end, while I liked the update, I didn't love it).
I mean sure, for the players who follow and played every single other game from Blackheart Games, then for those folks, they'd be happy with all the crossovers and Easters eggs etc, but as for me who only is interested in SOWP, well..... it just wasn't great.

It just felt like in order to properly understand the SWOP Day 6 story, the player is supposed to do "homework" by completing Blackheart Hotel & The Guardian (something akin to say Kevin Feige saying before "In order to understand MCU films from now on, people will need to watch every single Disney Plus show" lol).

Personally I hope it goes back to being more standalone like Day 1~5 was, but given so much crossover has happened in Day 6, I'm not even sure if it's possible anymore.

Last edited:

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
(something akin to say Kevin Feige saying before "In order to understand MCU films from now on, people will need to watch every single Disney Plus show").
It pretty much was like that.

By the timethe first Avengers movie came out we'd had Thor, Iron Man and Captain America movies to set the scene.

On the other side of that coin, with The Flash opening the metaverse you do need to keep up on all DC shows to know what's going on.

Flash crosses over into Arrow and Supergirl, pretty sure Legends too. Arrow crosses over into everything considering they call it the Arrowverse.

Movies are completely seperate and have an entirely different cast so don't count.

Point is, you couldn't watch every season of The Flash and get the whole story because part 2 of some of those stories crossed over into other shows.

Crossovers in shows and movies has always been a thing.

Games like this are designed to keep fans in the same universe so to speak. With that characters and story arcs witll often cross over.

I know it's not great for people only interested in one of the games but to be brutally honest, you are not the target audience.

The dev is keeping all his games tied together so unless you are playing them all or plan to play them all then you won't get the full picture.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018

By the timethe first Avengers movie came out we'd had Thor, Iron Man and Captain America movies to set the scene.

On the other side of that coin, with The Flash opening the metaverse you do need to keep up on all DC shows to know what's going on.

Flash crosses over into Arrow and Supergirl, pretty sure Legends too. Arrow crosses over into everything considering they call it the Arrowverse.

Movies are completely seperate and have an entirely different cast so don't count.

Point is, you couldn't watch every season of The Flash and get the whole story because part 2 of some of those stories crossed over into other shows.

Games like this are designed to keep fans in the same universe so to speak. With that characters and story arcs witll often cross over.

I know it's not great for people only interested in one of the games but to be brutally honest, you are not the target audience.

The dev is keeping all his games tied together so unless you are playing them all or plan to play them all then you won't get the full picture.
I wouldn't really consider those be comparable examples though.

But to bring the discussion back to SOWP (since we're getting in the OT-deletion territory lol), I would probably be more understanding of the crossover if it was a brief part of the update. But I didn't think it was. The 2 primary characters from Blackheart Hotel & The Guardian and their backstories suddenly ended up playing a huge part in the core storyline of SOWP (and looks like they'll likely will continue to do so, given what happened in the end of the update).

While I wouldn't say I dislike shared universes, I do still prefer the individual titles to be mostly standalone (like how each Arrowverse character's season is standalone apart from the one crossover episode, same with MCU films), so I don't think the big "ongoing crossover" I've seen in Day 6 is necessarily a good thing (though I'm guessing people who follow every other Blackheart games would disagree, and that's fine).

But you are at least right about that last sentence; "unless I am playing them all or plan to play them all then I won't get the full picture."
And regardless of my thoughts on it, SOWP is Seath Black's ship, and he's the captain.

So it is what it is, I guess (shrugs).

Last edited:

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017

The main complaint I saw with Blackheart hotel was that it was too dark for some people, and the games after that even though they still have dark themes, they are a lot more friendly to vanilla players. So the target audience can't or shouldn't be the people that played every single game anymore, because you're purposely trying to expand your audience knowing that a lot of them will at the very least not play Blackheart hotel.

Burgh917

Dec 20, 2019
Ok, really starting to hope there will be an option to take over the cult and run it how we see fit, it doesn't sound like a bad gig at this point. :sneaky:

Reactions: pizbia

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
I wouldn't really consider those be comparable examples though.

But to bring the discussion back to SOWP (since we're getting in the OT-deletion territory lol), I would probably be more understanding of the crossover if it was a brief part of the update. But I didn't think it was. The 2 primary characters from Blackheart Hotel & The Guardian and their backstories suddenly ended up playing a huge part in the core storyline of SOWP (and looks like they'll likely will continue to do so, given what happened in the end of the update).

While I wouldn't say I dislike shared universes, I do still prefer the individual titles to be mostly standalone (like how each Arrowverse character's season is standalone apart from the one crossover episode, same with MCU films), so I don't think the big "ongoing crossover" I've seen in Day 6 is necessarily a good thing (though I'm guessing people who follow every other Blackheart games would disagree, and that's fine).

But you are at least right about that last sentence; "unless I am playing them all or plan to play them all then I won't get the full picture."
And regardless of my thoughts on it, SOWP is Seath Black's ship, and he's the captain.

So it is what it is, I guess (shrugs).
Well all signals are:

Once the church went dark and whatever happened that we wake up with the final scene (that's not spoilers I think)

That is the end of crossover. Those characters did not get it done. So they have lives to get back to.

The Big Bad having ties to other games is only to show that the dark forces in the universe of BH are interconnected but that isn't even that much of a crossover because each game has their own people they deal with as part of the Big Bad.

Here, in SWP, is The Father who I never saw cross into Guardian or the shitheads he has to deal with to get his sweet, sweet family pussy time. Maybe there was an off hand mention but it is not a character in TG and for certain not one of the ones shooting at that game's MC and friends and family all the time.

So it will be this "one episode" out of like 21 once all 3 seasons are done. (Seath can correct me on that since I am not certain)

PEACE

zucite

May 22, 2019

I get all of that. The problems here are:

*This ain't Marvel or DC. Those are huge properties with overwhelming interest around the world. People are invested in them, and more than willing to put in the time to 'do the homework.' This is a lewd game fighting for eyes, attention, and money. If it asks me to 'do the homework,' it's more likely I'm just going to abandon ship and check out some of the many, many other options.

*More importantly, crossovers in Marvel and DC *work.* You can bring a character from Avengers into WandaVision into Dr. Strange because they make sense in that world. In this game, you have a great atmosphere of creepy stuff in a camp and small town and you start cramming in dueling Mafia factions -- and it just doesn't make any sense in the world.

Again, I liked the first few days a lot and I'll check out the next update, but I don't think I'll continue if it keeps straying farther from the plot. Just my two cents.

Boogg

Apr 21, 2022
Why has nobody done a replay mod? I am not about to go back a 1000 times to see all of the scenes. Ugh...

Boogg

Apr 21, 2022
I get all of that. The problems here are:

*This ain't Marvel or DC. Those are huge properties with overwhelming interest around the world. People are invested in them, and more than willing to put in the time to 'do the homework.' This is a lewd game fighting for eyes, attention, and money. If it asks me to 'do the homework,' it's more likely I'm just going to abandon ship and check out some of the many, many other options.

*More importantly, crossovers in Marvel and DC *work.* You can bring a character from Avengers into WandaVision into Dr. Strange because they make sense in that world. In this game, you have a great atmosphere of creepy stuff in a camp and small town and you start cramming in dueling Mafia factions -- and it just doesn't make any sense in the world.

Again, I liked the first few days a lot and I'll check out the next update, but I don't think I'll continue if it keeps straying farther from the plot. Just my two cents.

Straying farther from the plot? What do you mean exactly? Are you saying that you would rather run in circles at the camp? Everything that is happening revolves around that camp, the town and everything that is happening to the characters. Did you not see how the story up to this point has come full circle? We ended up right back at cave 3 at the alter. Cave 3 is where everything started. Remember Abby and Maddie's little adventure? The "cult" has been the central focus of the story and all of the characters, MC included are just chess pieces being moved around. I am not trying to insult you but I feel like you are missing the "real" plot line in the story. Sure SWP may have started out as a murder mystery but right from the first scenes, the Cult has been the central plot line. If you haven't yet played all of Blackheart's other stories, you really need to. All of this is interconnected and is part of the Blackheart universe so to speak. There are cross references and character appearances in each game. The flashbacks that the MC has involving Lilith and Jacky tie "everything" together and make all of them one big interlocking story that happens in different time lines. Some overlap while others are either before or after certain events.

Next... If you have played the other games then you must have seen in each game that there were little things said here and there that talked about things feeling like someone out there that was watching everything unfold. Well "Father" is that guy and he seeks to rule all of them. The MC has already revealed that both in flashbacks and current events.

If you came into SWP and didn't expect it to be part of the other games then you did yourself an injustice by coming into SWP without realizing one central character that has either appeared or been mentioned in every one of Blackheart's games.

Kenzie. Kenzie should have been your very first clue as to where all of this story was going.

Last edited:

zucite

May 22, 2019
Straying farther from the plot? What do you mean exactly? Are you saying that you would rather run in circles at the camp? Everything that is happening revolves around that camp, the town and everything that is happening to the characters. Did you not see how the story up to this point has come full circle? We ended up right back at cave 3 at the alter. Cave 3 is where everything started. Remember Abby and Maddie's little adventure? The "cult" has been the central focus of the story and all of the characters, MC included are just chess pieces being moved around. I am not trying to insult you but I feel like you are missing the "real" plot line in the story. Sure SWP may have started out as a murder mystery but right from the first scenes, the Cult has been the central plot line. If you haven't yet played all of Blackheart's other stories, you really need to. All of this is interconnected and is part of the Blackheart universe so to speak. There are cross references and character appearances in each game. The flashbacks that the MC has involving Lilith and Jacky tie "everything" together and make all of them one big interlocking story that happens in different time lines. Some overlap while others are either before or after certain events.

Next... If you have played the other games then you must have seen in each game that there were little things said here and there that talked about things feeling like someone out there that was watching everything unfold. Well "Father" is that guy and he seeks to rule all of them. The MC has already revealed that both in flashbacks and current events.

If you came into SWP and didn't expect it to be part of the other games then you did yourself an injustice by coming into SWP without realizing one central character that has either appeared or been mentioned in every one of Blackheart's games.

Kenzie. Kenzie should have been your very first clue as to where all of this story was going.

*No, I didn't want to run in circles at the camp (though you could easily do a great game in that single location). As I said, the first couple days back at town were great too.

*I understand that the cult is the central plot line. I'm great with that. The example that I cited is the Mafia stuff coming in six days into the game. It doesn't fit the cult and it doesn't fit the world. If you were watching a horror movie and an hour in they were like "your previously unmentioned childhood friend's Mafia connections are related" you would be like... what?

*No, I didn't know I was supposed to play all the other Blackheart games. Why would I have known that? It doesn't say it in the description. Kenzie wasn't a clue because she means nothing to me.

I get that maybe it makes sense if you've played all the other games. But what percentage of players here have? I truly don't know. This game was recommended in a thread talking about creepy games and I tried it. And on that note, from the viewpoint of a player coming in blind, I can tell you that the first few days are great and at this point it's quickly losing me by feeling like it has to cram in all these other people from other games I've never heard of and have no interest in. Just my experience as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.10 star(s) 38 Votes