TheMagister

Aug 5, 2016
When making a virtual novel, there are major genres and target audiences to consider (open to correction):

a. Harem
b. Netorare
c. Femdom
d. Gay

(Incest fits within the scope of any of the above genres. Netorare and Femdom can intertwine.)

I think if you try to cater to all the above genres, you might fail to give the harem crowd an update, then the next month you might fail to give the femdom crowd an update, then next month maybe you fail to give the netorare crowd an update, or the gay crowd an update. So patrons will have to wait every other update to get the content they want.

I think Seeds of Chaos is suffering from this problem, I could be wrong, what does everyone else think?
They've talked about this (many) times before; it evens out because you also have a wider range of people to cater to.

I honestly agree. It's the reason I'm not a patreon of this game; as someone who likes NTR, it's hard for me to cross that border where I know I'll be investing "pointlessly" for a couple of months until someone makes a NTR scene. Although I would argue that narrowing the scope would diminish the quality of the game as well, because this world they have created wouldn't work quite as well with only fetish or two getting focused on. I think the problem is mostly down to being spread so thin; there are already more people working on this game than most others but there's also more stuff here than most others. All these people have to draw, write, code, develop/think out everything in this game, and that's a lot of work for a compact group of (I assume) mostly amateurs (not in the mean sense, just in the not-doing-it-as-a-profession).

Reactions: hakarlman

iainmore

Jun 12, 2017
When making a virtual novel, there are major genres and target audiences to consider (open to correction):

a. Harem
b. Netorare
c. Femdom
d. Gay

(Incest & corruption fits within the scope of any of the above genres. Netorare and Femdom can intertwine.)

I think if you try to cater to all the above genres, you might fail to give the harem crowd an update, then the next month you might fail to give the femdom crowd an update, then next month maybe you fail to give the netorare crowd an update, or the gay crowd an update. So patrons will have to wait every other update to get the content they want.

I think Seeds of Chaos is suffering from this problem, I could be wrong, what does everyone else think?
I think when writing anything that trying to be all things to all people is a mistake. It is impossible to keep them all happy. You thus end up pissing everybody off. The other thing is that authors shouldn't try writing things/stuff that they are clearly uncomfortable writing in order to reach a certain target audience. The failings will come through in the writing. It is also starting to look like there are too many contradictory themes in Seeds of Chaos to keep everyone happy.

spitfire335

Jun 12, 2017
I think there’s a lot of potential crossover in netorare and femdom; I think femdom has never been a main advertising or selling point of SoC (though I’d love more, devs!); and I don’t think this game even comes close to trying to be a harem game (though that may be a tertiary option later on), even though you can slut it up with a bunch of different characters.

I mean, that’s just my take, but personally I can’t really see where you’re coming from.
I think this is an oversimplification. While there are certainly VN that tightly focus on a specific theme, there are plenty of VN that have become popular by focusing on a larger story or romance, and letting the specific sexual scenarios be a side dish to the core appeal.

This also presumes that there is no crossover between the various fetishes - that someone who's interested in femdom has no interest in harem elements, or that someone interested in gay relationships has no interest in the netorare aspects. This might be true of people who are deeply invested in their fetish, but I think it's questionable to generalize that to the larger community.

I would also mention that content that a specific player isn't interested in still provides benefit by making the world itself seem deeper; a person might play Rowan as being completely faithful to Alexia, but still sees Cla-Min hitting on Rowan (reinforcing Rowan's reputation amongst Goblins, the highly sexual nature of Rowan's new employment, and Cla-Min's dedication to her craft) or be repulsed by the notion of NTR but still see Andras aiming for Alexia (reinforcing the dangerous nature of their new employment, Andras's characterization as a terrible person, and the consequences of Rowan spending so much time away from his wife). Even when the player declines to play through the actual sex scenes, it still adds to the world in a way that would need to be replaced by other means if the game were to try to focus on a couple of specific fetishes.

I think your analysis makes some fundamentally flawed assumptions - what holds true for a smaller project doesn't necessarily hold true for a larger one. If Seeds of Chaos were to try limit itself further, it would risk becoming repetitive and making the world feel more thin.

(Also, you left out the corruption fetish. Which is a bit ironic, given how it's one of the core themes.)
I think when writing anything that trying to be all things to all people is a mistake. It is impossible to keep them all happy. You thus end up pissing everybody off. The other thing is that authors shouldn't try writing things/stuff that they are clearly uncomfortable writing in order to reach a certain target audience. The failings will come through in the writing. It is also starting to look like there are too many contradictory themes in Seeds of Chaos to keep everyone happy.
I think that the team have done a fairly good job at managing the different fetishes to keep patrons happy. I speak as one of them. You think that just because there is optional ntr in the game that will get updated now and again, that I will stop my support? No way. The game does more than a few things well in my opinion. It creates a narrative in which the player (through the eyes of Rowan) is thrown into a dire situation with his wife. He (the player) is fully capable of keeping his wife to himself and even beginning to work against the twins. Just because there are a lot of fetishes covered they are never thrown at the player. Rowan can usually side-step everything he doesn't want to engage in. As for waiting to get content, it's like that for every game on patreon. Even if I enjoy the scenes where Rowan is dominant and corrupt, it doesn't mean that what gets added makes me mad. I just know that they are slowly building towards something with these events. Those that like femdom will give in to Jezera and Cliohna. Others like my Rowan will resist them until given the chance to form a more equal relationship with them. For the ntr loving people, they can make choices to have Jezera/Andras/or random tentacle monsters to have their way with Alexia and get their fun there. Sure there may be more of a wait time than with other games but the quality and variation you find in Seeds of Chaos exist nowhere else. Now back to hoping that Rowan will finally bend X'Zaratl over a sink and go to town on her.

Reactions: ZeroNilNone

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017

a. Harem
b. Netorare
c. Femdom
d. Gay

(Incest & corruption fits within the scope of any of the above genres. Netorare and Femdom can intertwine.)

Yeah you're missing a lot of fetishes between Harem and ntr, thats a huge jump in popularity.

Reactions: monk_56

spitfire335

Jun 12, 2017
This is my point. You may have to wait months and months before you'll ever see that.
I know and I have. The last X'Zaratl scene was about a year ago. Still I have a lot of other characters to play around with. Even if I have to wait for scenes with one character, likely there is something else for me to enjoy. It's not just ntr everywhere. If it was I wouldn't be playing the game at all. I support the game because it is growing at a good pace for me.

Reactions: TheSexinati

Jan 10, 2018
This is my point. You may have to wait months and months before you'll ever see that.
...If anything were to be dropped, wouldn't X'Zaratl pretty much be at the top of the list? She's probably the most wholesome character in the game, but in terms of plot relevance, she's more or less last amongst the characters - it's a close match between her and the drow boy.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

a. Harem
b. Netorare
c. Femdom
d. Gay

A mere look at each changelog will show you are wrong.
The developers have been taking care to even out the sex scenes with each update so that there is not only a focus in one genre while the rest is forgotten until the next time.

Also you missed quite a few genres there. ;)

Punkreas

Aug 11, 2017
I got a lot of script errors in this last update

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
KeyError: u'tmp_spy'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/main_loop.rpyc", line 37, in script call
    2��Pz^�7"�M�u0i]�W�a *�*��?��R�*�`�?F�� �͚
  File "game/locations/rowans_chambers.rpyc", line 43, in script call
  File "game/events/orciad/orciad_batri.rpyc", line 301, in script
    �cҔ*Ń�L�j���x�B�m���,������1=?qy\'��    ��X������:�`����q;��U
[/QUOTE]
I'm using dev console tough, just to watch the new events, i lost 2 saves and not in the mood to do everything from the start lol

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
We cannot promise that there won't be errors when someone uses Dev Console. That is the nature of Dev Console.

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
How do i complete the orcs subquest? I get killed around week 60
It is a pretty long quest, so if you want something more detailed look for a guide, but here's a rough rundown.

For starters, visit the big orc tribe, its at the northwest corner of the map, after the game gives you the basic rundown, there's 4 ways of completing the quest:

Side with Ulcro, he's the old boss of the tribe, to complete his quest you need to do two things, first you need to get presents for Delaine, the noble woman prisoner, the main way of doing this is to go raiding with his elite orcs but you can also get a little bonus by asking Cliohna and Jezera for help, second you need to talk Delaine into accepting Ulcro, explore the camp and soon Rowan will spot a suspicious place in the camp, if you succeed the checks you should be able to sneak into the tent where Delaine is being held, keep visiting her and talk her into embracing Ulcro.

Side with Batri, he's the young contender, to complete his quest you need to strengthen his position in the tribe so he can depose Ulcro, I don't remember this questline very well, I think most of the things you can do to help his position are events in the tribe, I think you can also ask Greyhide to make weapons for him. I don't remember if you need to discover Delaine's position but I think you do.

Rescue Delaine, find out where Delaine is being held, talk with her to gain her trust, then plot an escape plan, to do so Rowan will need to get help from a few people around the tribe and will need to scout the camp's layout to find a weak spot in the defenses and plot an escape route.

Side with Tarish, deceitful orc woman that is hungry for power, talk with her and make a deal with her, then follow the "rescue Delaine" instructions, but at the end instead of rescuing Delaine you deliver her to Tarish.

No matter which path you take, the orc questline ends with a showdown between Ulcro and Batri, that's how you'll know the quest is finished.

dkatryl

May 26, 2018
We cannot promise that there won't be errors when someone uses Dev Console. That is the nature of Dev Console.
While this is understood, i would like to point out that for at least 2.49 and the current 2.50, the 'Bathing_Andras' event gives an immediate renpy error.

And i dont mean like once you run it, i mean, if you simply select it before you run it.

That stood out significantly from the others, so i figured i would point it out.

ZeroNilNone

Oct 5, 2019
I get it but that's what you want, I want Andras actually getting Alexis' pussy once in a while when he tells Rowan that when you visit the Arena and he tells him "I haven't had pussy in a while, maybe I'll visit your wife". No way you can please everybody.

Reactions: TheSexinati
4.00 star(s) 162 Votes