Keep the existing jobs or have the PC become a fulltime detective in week 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HotPotLovers

Apr 23, 2018
' Van Horn is already supportive of the player, so he'd just fund the PC while she does her work. '
true in some ways.
But come to think of it, jobs are like police doing undercover, it holds more meaning than just 'earn some bucks', it would help with investigation in various ways.
but both are fine options, choose one would be easier to write plot with I guess XD.
It's up to you, good luck.
edit: maybe more detective elements when doing jobs? it would be bit more trouble to organize plots since we got many paths here.

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
It's hard for me to really say since I am new to the game & just recently played it for the first time. I went with the Maid thing and while I did kinda like it I also didn't feel as if it really connected to what I was trying to do in the game.

Another thing - but that's just me making assumption based on what I was told ingame - I felt kinda...not comfortable? It felt as if I was forced to pick a job that then comes with kinda random negative impact on my Detective's stats that then also translate into people dying etc.
The jobs won't negatively impact you other than potentially raising corruption depending on your choices in the job. Corruption in this game isn't the usual "slut meter" (though it is that) but is more literal corruption that can have both positive and negative impacts going forward.

For example:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Your comment about the jobs not fitting the detective theme is one of the reasons I've considered this change. The player still "needs" money going forward but if Van Horn funds you it isn't a big deal. It does mean that at least one potentially interesting job thread will get truncated though I could turn it into an undercover thing your character chooses to do.

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
I like the jobs for replay ability, however, I understand the infamous hydra problem that has a habit of killing off many projects. Constraining the story to a singular detective route and having the stat changes be the deciding factor for branches seems beneficial to me.
I'm trying hard to avoid the hydra problem although I foolishly added to it by making it possible for

to die on Saturday. That means I have to track them for various scenes which is kind of a pain. I suspect 99% of players save-scummed to save both of them but there are always those players who prefer to play things more naturally and probably a few that were like "Eh, I didn't like them anyway."

Orphanus

Oct 25, 2019
I'm trying hard to avoid the hydra problem although I foolishly added to it by making it possible for

to die on Saturday. That means I have to track them for various scenes which is kind of a pain. I suspect 99% of players save-scummed to save both of them but there are always those players who prefer to play things more naturally and probably a few that were like "Eh, I didn't like them anyway."
Personally I'd be happier if none of them could die or if there was a comfortably accessible way to prevent it. But it's not a major issue now that you told me both can be saved & that I don't need to be paranoid about the corruption thing like I was so far.

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Personally I'd be happier if none of them could die or if there was a comfortably accessible way to prevent it. But it's not a major issue now that you told me both can be saved & that I don't need to be paranoid about the corruption thing like I was so far.
There are a few deaths that aren't preventable. I think 2 so far. Going forward other characters have their fates already determined. A few will have the potential of dying but can be saved. I just want to be careful with this because the more stuff like this I have, the more I risk having huge branches that slow down updates as I have to account for them.

I also plan to make this the first game in this town and so I want to keep in mind things like "I really want this character to at least have a cameo in the next game" or whatever. Don't worry, work on follow-up games won't start until this one is finished.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
The jobs won't negatively impact you other than potentially raising corruption depending on your choices in the job.
They can also affect other things like willpower, but I guess whether that's seen as positive or negative depends on the player.

... I could turn it into an undercover thing your character chooses to do.
That was my thinking. Several of the current jobs could probably be slightly rewritten as optional "infiltration" missions, since some of them already have that aspect: Get into e.g. the mayor's office to find out what they know (and possibly to gain more power within the town), rather than to turn a buck. The maid job might be the least suited for this if you plan to make van Horn fund the MC's work, but maybe it could be retooled as the MC "helping out around the house" in exchange for the generosity.

The pressure to make money is introduced, as far as I remember, as needing to make rent at the b'n'b. But the MC moves to their new home before that ever becomes an issue, so it seems mostly illusory for now.

... and probably a few that were like "Eh, I didn't like them anyway."
I will admit to considering that, as I found Anya annoying from the first meeting, but decided in the end that she might be useful later.

Deleted member 2422104

Jun 2, 2020
I changed my mind please dont remove the jobs because i thinks it was these jobs along with the story that we moved the whole week.And funding by Vanhorn is not suitable because its easy way and that is not my style.

Deleted member 2422104

Jun 2, 2020
They can also affect other things like willpower, but I guess whether that's seen as positive or negative depends on the player.

That was my thinking. Several of the current jobs could probably be slightly rewritten as optional "infiltration" missions, since some of them already have that aspect: Get into e.g. the mayor's office to find out what they know (and possibly to gain more power within the town), rather than to turn a buck. The maid job might be the least suited for this if you plan to make van Horn fund the MC's work, but maybe it could be retooled as the MC "helping out around the house" in exchange for the generosity.

The pressure to make money is introduced, as far as I remember, as needing to make rent at the b'n'b. But the MC moves to their new home before that ever becomes an issue, so it seems mostly illusory for now.

I will admit to considering that, as I found Anya annoying from the first meeting, but decided in the end that she might be useful later.
Well though there is no rent to pay but there is a big mansion to maintain so it will cost more money.
We can still include job by saying that "Others who were opposing MC would test her in these jobs so they can trust her"

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Well though there is no rent to pay but there is a big mansion to maintain so it will cost more money.
We can still include job by saying that "Others who were opposing MC would test her in these jobs so they can trust her"
The mansion is an odd situation. The basic maintenance is fine but I thought it'd be fun for players to be able to pay for renovations. I just want to be careful with it so I don't cause a huge amount of needed renders.

"Let's see, they're meeting in the living room. A render for each potential dress. A render for whether it is renovated or not. A render for whether X or Y is alive and present or not...that's uhh...12 renders for that one scene. And now to write the differences in the scene...."

Reactions: CypherWisp

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Why not make the jobs "odd jobs" where the MC can go and work a shift or whatever for cash on the barrel head? The maid job might be undertaken to investigate whether van Horn is in danger from his assistant, or something (maybe there's suspicion hat she's exploiting him).

I think that the idea of the jobs as full-time gigs that must be selected exclusively makes the game harder to write and less interesting to play. I don't much care for the idea of van Horn just paying her and solving all of her money problems.That reveals his hand too soon.

This could also make the story less compressed, as there would be days where the MC just does odd jobs (with random or progressive events) and makes no progress in her investigation. Much of the stuff from existing job writing could be used.

Reactions: someothermon

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Hmmm..interesting idea really. We'll see how it goes. Right now the voting everywhere I've asked is around 75% in favor of keeping the jobs.

Reactions: someothermon

menatv

Dec 6, 2019
I generally like keeping the jobs as well. Though it will probably mean more work for you -- adding more branches and dialogs and such. To feel more connected to the main plot, you could have each drop continue to drop hints as to how to progress next or what or who to investigate to solve the mystery. That perhaps you could go from one job to another to pick up more clues.

And that your main job would be a detective -- but in this case you would be working undercover. Just my two cents worth.

fortunatus

Sep 25, 2020
I think she should not work for the money (nice bonus) but for to follow hints and traces. So any job should be strongly connectet to the case.

Its easy to see if she is working for the police: that will give her an opportunity to take a look at the evidences and the files. And with her undercover work she can uncover some hidden connections to the case.

The job in the diner is clearly connected to the victim, too, so it's a way to follow her path.

It's a bit ago that i played Your game, so I don't remember, if there are strong connections between the victim and van Horn or the victim an the Mayor, but if not, than there should be.

So every job should give the MC a path to gather informations and solve the case.
In core the informations she get should be the same on every path but comming with slightly different "flavors", because everyone is telling the story from their one perspective. I think this way you can avoid the "hydra problem." It is more like entering the same rooms (crucial scenes) throug different doors.

Let's say that we need 10 clues to solve the case, so every job could lead to 5 of the clues directly, 2 more as a second hand information. Than you have a Joker in game, the guy in the dark alley. He can provide our MC with the missing informations an links, depending on her path.

In the end the MC solves the case, but is changed herself in different ways, depending on her path.

Oh, and i like the jobs.

Don't know if this all make sense for You... ^^

Cheers

Sofia86

Sep 8, 2021
Would it be possible to change the notebook behavior? When I open it I like to look at multiple characters/locations/clues in one go, but every time you have looked at one, it closes the whole notebook and it's irritating to open it each and every time to check anything.

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Would it be possible to change the notebook behavior? When I open it I like to look at multiple characters/locations/clues in one go, but every time you have looked at one, it closes the whole notebook and it's irritating to open it each and every time to check anything.
Unfortunately this is somewhat necessary. It used to be something you could browse through but the problem with that is that you can only go back 3 times in the game code so players would get stuck in the notebook. I changed it so it acts as more of a window that pops up you can browse through. There is likely a way around it that I just don't know about. I can certainly take a look into it!

ding123

Apr 5, 2019
Hmmm..interesting idea really. We'll see how it goes. Right now the voting everywhere I've asked is around 75% in favor of keeping the jobs.
I thought the jobs are needed to get more information like when working as deputy you have access to the computer or if you work in the diner you can listen to rumors or if you work for the mayor you can read documents etc.
Also if you work somewhere you can get in close contact to coworkers.

Reactions: cr0sswise

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
I thought the jobs are needed to get more information like when working as deputy you have access to the computer or if you work in the diner you can listen to rumors or if you work for the mayor you can read documents etc.
Also if you work somewhere you can get in close contact to coworkers.
That was the original idea though I'm not sure the first week of jobs worked out like that. I've decided to make them less generic going forward and make them have unique stuff if I can make it work. I'm currently working on the deputy/undercover job and I think players who joined the deputy job hoping it'd be the path to investigating will be pleased with the new day in it.

JKrieger

Oct 2, 2022
Love your game, it's awesome! Can't wait to see more of how it unfolds.

Could you possibly tell me how the skill system works? Is it a random number plus the skill rating, or just a flat skill rating check against a number? And how exactly are the skill increases on resting calculated? I seem to sometimes get massive gains in one skill and other times almost no points in another. Is it random?

4.80 star(s) 13 Votes