Ren'Py Shag the Hag 2 (Game Development Thread)

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
this past few weeks, i've been working on the UI.

i'd made the ui myself to start, but found it was getting cumbersome to make as many containers as i need (shop, inventory, quest log, achievements etc.), so i bit the bullet and bought some assets and worked them into how i wanted them instead.

this week, i've been injecting them into the game and getting everything working.

1658322798111.png

Screenshot 2022-07-16 201100.png

Screenshot 2022-07-16 200401.png

i feel this looks cleaner. and a little more fun.

i would have gone with a halloweeny ui like the first game, but i feel the new MC isn't "afraid" of the woods and is more into the demonology and magic side of it so has no need to be scared. I did, however, keep the same colour scheme of purple and aqua. Hovering over purple buttons shows them as aqua.

i've so far got the following working:
  • Textbox and Quickmenu (first image has updated version with 4 buttons - preferences/skip/quest log/achievements)
  • Bakery (shop)
  • Daily Tip Pop-up (to make a new day)
  • Spellbook (fully functioning - will show off in a week or two after my subscribers get a view first, because THAT's special)

the following is designed, but not implemented:
  • Quest Log
  • Market (shop)
  • Achievements (including collections tabs)

i also had to re-work the ghost girl, and have changed her hair and dress. reason being the dforce hair wasn't playing nice and kept hiding her lovely face... subscribers get those images first this week, though. :)

ronan333

Jan 23, 2020
Sort of like starting over but the results look really good. I'm looking forward to the final result and Ghost Girl in particular. ;)
Keep up the good work!

Reactions: L8ERALgames

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Sort of like starting over but the results look really good. I'm looking forward to the final result and Ghost Girl in particular. ;)
Keep up the good work!
it was pretty much a restart.

but it made me feel a lot more positive about it.

i've had a lot of new ideas, and feel the art is definitely looking a lot better thanks to some of the things i was playing with while making 'Reconnect'. i took it a little further with STH2, and i like to think it looks nice.

having said that, there's a lot of characters i'm juggling and there will be a lot of mini side adventures. i'm trying to make those little moments a lot more fun than they were in the first game.