L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
This was an great game. A lot of people probably nope'd out the moment they saw the hag, but the story was decent (and the hag scene didn't really go on too long). I beat the game in 130-in game days and got all but 2 achievements, and even though it took me that long, I'm sure there's still some text I haven't encountered yet.

This wasn't your typical "Oh hello there, lets fuck even though you only met me for a day" kind of game, the characters each had personalities and backstories of their own. The zombie gave me a few chuckles, the vampire was good, the hag... was interesting. The least interesting character in my opinion was probably the hobo, at first she had me wondering if she was part of the curse as well, but it ended up with her just being a normal hobo. (That's right, I'd choose the hag over the hobo any day, fight me)

My only negatives about the game were the leveling system and the life system. I can guess that courage, speed, and strength affect the chances of the goblin/murderer killing you, but those scenes were far too few, which made those skills irrelevant (I could be wrong and that those skills have more uses, I do remember for example that the zombie girl said she liked fast people). When I started to encounter goblins, I'd pick a choice at random, and I never died from the goblin (I only ever died once trying to intimidate the murderer). Also getting those skills are tricky as it seems to be random (especially with what you do before venturing out).

The life system also felt irrelevant. Running out of lives doesn't do anything but end the game, and even if you did run out of lives, you can use the mouse wheel to return to the previous choice to save yourself. (Same thing applies if you made a choice that a character didn't like)

I look forward to seeing what happens with Shag the Hag 2.
I admit much of the stats and life system was in there mostly because i was trying to test the capability of ren'py. this game was an ummm... test(?) for a larger game i was building (called 'the strip' - which may be released one day but has some ummm patreon-not-friendly elements). STH was sort of an afterthought for me. i was initially going to just make a tiny little grindy trainer game for halloween, but i'm more a story person, so it's a half-half frankenstein of a game. STH2 should fix that by trying to aim for the best use of stats instead of just as grindy grindy somethings.

combat is (cheekily) completely random.

hobo was also more an afterthought. i had her (sort of) as a character in 'the strip' and thought it'd be funny if she visited the woods to sleep at night. i was also sort of referencing a few trainer games which were amusing me at the time with her dialogue/situation.

in all honesty, STH was something i just never expected anyone to like, so i didn't give it 1000% of my planning attention to ensure mechanics etc were more fluid. i'll make up for that with STH2, and i hope the penny conspiracy showed a little of how i prefer story to grind.

last thing, with the mouse-wheel to stop yourself dying - yah, i know. i try not to disable things like mouse-wheel because i'm not really trying to make things vicious and cut-throat. just add an element of fun for those who might appreciate it. :) plus, those skulls looked kind of fun at the top of the screen, i thought...

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
There was a mod/addon to reduce the grind a bit from this guy KoGa3, but I don't know if this is still available and working.

Edit: found the Mod page, here's the link
it'd probably work until i've finished my tweaks. :)

i was working on those over the weekend and will hopefully finish them in the next week or two, along with the mac version. took me a little longer as i had to remember what i'd done as i haven't checked out the code fo STH since feb.

Reactions: kschn68

Bigapee

Jul 19, 2017
I admit much of the stats and life system was in there mostly because i was trying to test the capability of ren'py. this game was an ummm... test(?) for a larger game i was building (called 'the strip' - which may be released one day but has some ummm patreon-not-friendly elements).
well now i'm curious what the strip was about

Reactions: L8ERALgames

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
well now i'm curious what the strip was about
the player is a guy who lives in an apartment in a red-light area. he's got a "roomie" and her best friend comes round to visit. the best friend is studying to be a psychiatrist so there's some fun "studying" of various fetishes. the player has the chance to give a hobo a new home (there's a kind of 'treat her like a puppy' theme going there) and his boss hires him to cure his wayward daughter's rebellious streak and it turns out she just needs someone to dominate her.

his immediate manager likes 1-on-1 meetings (this is before coronavirus).

on top of that, there's a bookstore with a poetry-loving store owner (the "gor" books in shag the hag were direct code-rips from this game, although they have slightly more use in the strip), a bouncer who has dreams of being a pro wrestler (she needs a manager, fam), an ex-girlfriend stripper who may not keep a grudge (take her to a private room and maybe she'll dance in your lap), and a prostitute who's always happy for a regular...

i have most of the game built, although only 50% done, storywise - i still have to do the whole harem route so the characters interact depending on who's in the harem, if you get me. and i'm still tinkering with a kind of in-game messaging system so you can text other characters to continue parts of the story and have random conversations for shits and giggles.

my favourite part of what i designed so far with it was the computer the player uses at "work". it's dos-based, and a tip of the hat to old c64...

the_strip_3.JPG

the art's fairly dated because i started it before i was doing shag the hag. but i'll get to it again one day and make it pretty. i kind of paused because i don't really want to "roomie" it. i'd rather go with the correct pronouns. unfortunately, patreon doesn't like that and they're starting to get petty about that kind of thing.

and, if you're wondering about old jack goff from the penny conspiracy, he's also got himself a book in the strip...

bestseller10.png
what can i say?

i'm busy.

Bigapee

Jul 19, 2017
sounds like it'd be a good time, i think your first game has earned you enough good will that the people will be eager to try whatever you put out next..... though if i'm being honest i'm dying to meet that damn spider girl o_O

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
sounds like it'd be a good time, i think your first game has earned you enough good will that the people will be eager to try whatever you put out next..... though if i'm being honest i'm dying to meet that damn spider girl o_O
i guarantee she'll be a lot of fun and worth the wait. :)

Lucid Lancer

May 29, 2018
So glad i didn't outright adjudicate this game, turned out to be an outstanding experience. Really liked this despite being a bit grindy.
Now you got me looking forward to the sequel real bad dev. Hope it'll be even better.

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Update: I've completed some changes to the stats system which will hopefully lessen the grind - a lot. i've still tried to keep the progression reasonably linear and simple to progress, but given this cuts a lot of stat prerequisites, there's a possibility a lot of random dialogue may be missed by players, but should then make the game fairly repeatable for new players.

i just need to play test it a bit first to make sure i haven't broken any quests... :)

Prolotus

Jan 22, 2018
I played and liked the game. And looking forward for next game. But for this game they're some things i didn't like it and what i expect for the second game:

- There is no scene for jogging girl
- Hobo girl has no effect for story
- If you kill necromancer your girls kills you

++ I want preggo zombie scene from next game :LOL:

andes35

Aug 27, 2020
So when i download from mega i get a rar file. extracted it with 7zip and it seems to be working but no sound in the main menu or upon game launch. Did i do something wrong? I'm not too experienced with computer schtuff

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
So when i download from mega i get a rar file. extracted it with 7zip and it seems to be working but no sound in the main menu or upon game launch. Did i do something wrong? I'm not too experienced with computer schtuff
If you're referring to the game itself, there's no sound in this one. Though I do believe someone has made a music mod in here. :)

STH2 will have some sound effects at least, though...

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Update: I've finished most of the tweaking of the stat requirements and some of the "grindy" bits. Haven't gone overboard because I still want my focus on Shag the Hag 2. I'm going to update a few of the opening and closing graphics, though, and then I'll upload a new version (Including for Mac).

Give me a week or two to be safe. :)

Jun 29, 2018
I was reading through the thread and saw someone say the hag turns into a hot readhead after you have sex, but can you keep her as hag?

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
update on changes to Shag the Hag v1.3:

Things I've done:

• I've tweaked some of the grinding elements, reduced the stat point requirements to make them more "achieveable" in a single playthrough without too much additional stress, and fixed one or two whoopsies in how these were calculated.
  • I've play-tested as much as I've had time for and ironed out a few bugs I found.
  • I've fixed an issue involving being able to scroll (rollback and forward text) while screens are open.
  • I've created a MAC version this time.

Things I haven't done:

• I haven't opened up the game. My intention WAS to do so, and to add extra content, but Patrons voted to go onward with Shag the Hag 2 instead. To be honest, this is a better option.
  • I haven't reduced the image sizes on these. While it's possible to convert to .webp versions for the images, I'm doing that for future games instead of retroactively applying them at this stage due to potentials for breaking the image declarations with my fat fingers.
  • I haven't added music or sound effects. These will be added to all my future games.
  • I haven't added animations. I'm still working on how to do those and won't be adding them until I'm reasonably happy. I am intending to TRY for adding them to STH2 but will first test them on a little side-product game I'm using to test new game mechanics to be used in STH2/J-Files.
  • I haven't added any additional content. Sorry, but I genuinely haven't the time, given the work going into STH2.

q: Why isn't it uploaded on F95Zone yet?
a: I've uploaded to Mega, but now need to navigate the minefield of second download options, and this gives me the groans, so I'll try to have it up before end of weekend.

Take care!

playb0y44

Game Compressor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Here's my compressed version.
Shag the Hag [v1e] [L8eralGames] - Original Size: 1.12 GB

Download Win,Linux (93MB): - - -
Download Mac (78MB): - - -
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
I got really excited thinking there would be content like a fool.

4.40 star(s) 70 Votes