VN Ren'Py Shards of the Past [v0.3.1] [Garou24]

4.80 star(s) 16 Votes

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
Finally got done playing this game. Only had a few nitpick things I didn't like but I did mention those in my review. This game is almost good enough to make it onto my top 10 probably will after a few more updates. I'm going to be getting this asap on steam when it comes out. I still need to finish the other path if you don't help the dwarf but might just save that for the steam release it would give me an excuse to replay it.

I hope we get to see more Raelynn later as of right now she is the only human I actually like. So far this game makes me hate every human we have came across because of how Qinara is treated. Even the barmaids.

Like I said in an earlier post the way this game handles racism towards elfs makes me feel for her more than any other game ive played before. Probably because we actually get to know her pretty well and any other game that ive played that had a similar topic wasn't a AVN so there wasn't so much character building to get to know and feel for the characters to this degree.

Also I have to give praise to Garou24 Qinara is easily in my top 10 List of most beautiful AVN girls out of the 90 or so ive played. Maybe I just have a thing for elfs I dont know. The other girls are almost as beautiful in their design and appearance.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Garou24

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021
I am glad you enjoyed the game and thanks for the review. The relic was something I went back and forth on when to introduce. I figured it was best to at least show the reader sooner rather than later since the sci-fi elements might be a deal breaker for some. As the story progresses, you and your character will slowly learn about the past and uncover more details that will explain more of that history. There will be the sci-fi elements, but the story, characters and environments will still mainly be in a fantasy/medieval setting.

You will have the opportunity to cross paths again with Raelynn and other supporting characters later in the game. Some of the choices you make will impact their story and I want you to see how things end for them.

Tumai

Sep 1, 2019
Putting aside the fact that a relic from a "Silurian Hypothesis" world still works (assuming that's what it is of course, not left behind by aliens or some such), it won't remain an ultimate weapon for long as the guy will have no clue that it needs bullets/reloading nor how to do it.

In the same way that if a car was deposited in the middle ages where Newtonian physics and the internal combustion engine are completely beyond their ken, they wouldn't even know it needs fuel let alone what refined gasoline is.

To him it's just a magic stick, and he'll be in for a rude surprise when he tries to fire it for the 31st time.

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
I am glad you enjoyed the game and thanks for the review. The relic was something I went back and forth on when to introduce. I figured it was best to at least show the reader sooner rather than later since the sci-fi elements might be a deal breaker for some. As the story progresses, you and your character will slowly learn about the past and uncover more details that will explain more of that history. There will be the sci-fi elements, but the story, characters and environments will still mainly be in a fantasy/medieval setting.

You will have the opportunity to cross paths again with Raelynn and other supporting characters later in the game. Some of the choices you make will impact their story and I want you to see how things end for them.
I agree it is better for sure to show it early just kind of threw me off when it was a gun. I actually expected it to be some kind of magical sword or magical bow that doesn't need arrows at first. Honestly even tho I'm not the biggest fan of what the relic was so far it's too early to judge as well. I admit with how well done you have done with world building, characters and background / backstory so far. Because of that I have complete faith in you that I will like it when we get more updates and lore around the relic.

Sep 6, 2021
This is a great start. I do have a couple critiques: the first is that the introduction should state that the world is dark. Some people are going to be put off by all the racism and murder and rape, and it's better for everyone if they're steered away at the start.
I'm also not sure about the "no choice rollback" thing. So far, I've found myself doing my normal choice->rollback->actual choice I would make pattern, so it's just a minor irritation for me.

And holy fuck, are the women beautiful. Definitely a strong contender for the title of "most beautiful women" among all the VNs I've played. And all the other games too, come to think of it.

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020
By reading these forums I feel I missed a lot of scenes since there are different paths. It only took a couple hours to go from start to end of current update it seems.

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
This is a great start. I do have a couple critiques: the first is that the introduction should state that the world is dark. Some people are going to be put off by all the racism and murder and rape, and it's better for everyone if they're steered away at the start.
I'm also not sure about the "no choice rollback" thing. So far, I've found myself doing my normal choice->rollback->actual choice I would make pattern, so it's just a minor irritation for me.

And holy fuck, are the women beautiful. Definitely a strong contender for the title of "most beautiful women" among all the VNs I've played. And all the other games too, come to think of it.
yeah I used the quick save and load option alot myself since I do the same check out choice 1 rollback choice 2 rollback actual choice in most AVN's

I agree all the women are really beautiful in this one. Honestly Qinara is easily top 5 or 10 when it comes to looks for me.

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021
By reading these forums I feel I missed a lot of scenes since there are different paths. It only took a couple hours to go from start to end of current update it seems.
To see a bulk of the scenes and their different variations you will need at least 4 playthroughs. Helping or not helping Damerek in the forest at the start of the game is a major split and then winning or losing the fight in the tavern also has a large impact on various scenes. then the smaller choices all add variation as well impact your relationship with Qinara. Many of the 1 on 1 scenes with her have 2 or 3 script and visual variations based on the relationship level you have with her. The effect of many choices is not always revealed immediately. Many are still having impact to the story and scenes shown even a couple updates after making them.

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021

The next patch I have coming up for the game will add in the missing campsite scenes as well as some quality of life additions, like font size change slider, disable naming save files if you want etc. I added some new text to the warning screen also which should let players know ahead of time that there are some darker elements they might encounter based on what you suggested. Thanks!

I am glad the work on the women didn't go unnoticed :)
I tried to aim for more natural characters without exaggerated proportions. Plus makeup is not common in this world so hopefully the characters all have a natural beauty to their appearance.

Mipecio

Oct 3, 2021
yeah I used the quick save and load option alot myself since I do the same check out choice 1 rollback choice 2 rollback actual choice in most AVN's

I agree all the women are really beautiful in this one. Honestly Qinara is easily top 5 or 10 when it comes to looks for me.
I agree, Qinara is really gorgeous!

• Red Heart
Sep 6, 2021
To see a bulk of the scenes and their different variations you will need at least 4 playthroughs. Helping or not helping Damerek in the forest at the start of the game is a major split and then winning or losing the fight in the tavern also has a large impact on various scenes.
You should make that a little clearer somewhere in the game. Perhaps a little notice at the top: "Important decision: choose wisely" or something. I wouldn't've known which decisions are important otherwise, and there are far too many to do a branch at every option.
Also, a "save your game here" endscreen would be good, especially with 4 required playthroughs.

hopefully the characters all have a natural beauty to their appearance.
Uhh... yeah; you fucking nailed it.

Nov 23, 2020
holy shit! This was a great start, I do have some minor reservations but if an 18+ game can hold my attention rather than skip, you are doing something great here especially with consequences on choices and how the characters react even to the minor choices. An example is when you disagree or agree with caleb's view of having a child watch an execution and the companions either react to the subsequent dialogue that comes from you or not.

RewindWorld

Jan 27, 2020
It seems it's a trend in new games to represent Elves as a fallen, weak race who has lost wars, lands and turn to banditry and thievery. It's starting to get a bit old already.

turbojoe

Engaged Member
Sep 27, 2021
Indeed I fully agree to all positive comments written so far - amazing story and (as we already learned more about the acting persons) excellent written characters.:love:
This regarding I have to confirm this VN having the best looking MC of all VN´s I´m knowing (y)

As I´m also currently reading through Tribulation of a Mage I recognize with pleasure a similar composition of our community of fate (human, elf, dwarf) - giving a lot of potential for the evolution of intertwining between the members.

But - as amandressedlikeabat addressed - a Walkthrough ingame or outside as pdf would really be nice to be aware of important choices.

• Red Heart

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Indeed I fully agree to all positive comments written so far - amazing story and (as we already learned more about the acting persons) excellent written characters.:love:
This regarding I have to confirm this VN having the best looking MC of all VN´s I´m knowing (y)

As I´m also currently reading through Tribulation of a Mage I recognize with pleasure a similar composition of our community of fate (human, elf, dwarf) - giving a lot of potential for the evolution of intertwining between the members.

But - as amandressedlikeabat addressed - a Walkthrough ingame or outside as pdf would really be nice to be aware of important choices.
(almost)fully agree on the first part, and (almost)fully disagree on the second part.

one of the very last things this (or any decent) avn needs would be ingame walkthrough.
hell, i have seen users asking for walki even in some KNs (zero choices) or in harem-fuckfest (wanna fuck her now, ont wanna to fuck her now), so cant say im that surprised here.
btw, there are walkthrough mods creators, so why dont you, and other wishing for it, try your luck requesting there?

Mipecio

Oct 3, 2021
(almost)fully agree on the first part, and (almost)fully disagree on the second part.

one of the very last things this (or any decent) avn needs would be ingame walkthrough.
hell, i have seen users asking for walki even in some KNs (zero choices) or in harem-fuckfest (wanna fuck her now, ont wanna to fuck her now), so cant say im that surprised here.
btw, there are walkthrough mods creators, so why dont you, and other wishing for it, try your luck requesting there?
Screw walkthroughs, I got my multiple playthrough saves :D

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
It seems it's a trend in new games to represent Elves as a fallen, weak race who has lost wars, lands and turn to banditry and thievery. It's starting to get a bit old already.
nothing new been a theme in games since forever been a theme in games my entire life

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
I wish you can scroll back after the choices. I made a choice just to see what happens but had to load back just to choose something else. Also, Are there any point systems in this game? If so, they should have a mod to show what points are add and which is subtract. I chose to spy on the healer but I don't know if it caused a good karma or a bad karma. Also, are there any game over in this game?

4.80 star(s) 16 Votes