VN Ren'Py Shards of the Past [v0.3.1] [Garou24]

4.80 star(s) 18 Votes

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021
JJJ84

Glad you liked it! There will be more backstory and flashbacks similar to Branson and Caleb’s for many characters in the game to help flesh them out and also give you insight into their motives.

1) I have a journal in the game currently that has pages for different characters and updates as you make choices in the game to track what you have done and also provide some extra info on the characters. Its located on the bottom of the screen with the load and save quick menu. I originally had a little book icon that would flash when it was updated and stayed in the top corner of the screen so you could click it, but I thought that might be too distracting. I would love feedback on that: Is the handwritten font too much, what more would player like to see in the journal, how often should it update, etc. I wanted the journal to be a big part of the game with maps and other features. But I wasn’t sure how many people would even use it so for now I have just been updating it with the details of what happens with your playthrough and some of your characters internal thoughts.

journal_example.png

2)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

3) Yes there will be a scene replay gallery

4)

As for the LIs, I wanted them to all have different personalities and stories, so Kaela is very different than Qinara. So much that if you are drawn to one, you might not care for the other. I have some stories for Kaela that should make a relationship with her interesting, and if not, there are a couple other LIs that will give Qinara some competition.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
JJJ84

Glad you liked it! There will be more backstory and flashbacks similar to Branson and Caleb’s for many characters in the game to help flesh them out and also give you insight into their motives.

Love hearing this.
Intrigued to find out those stories for Kaela, and definitely looking forward to those other LIs which will give Qinara competition!

Last edited by a moderator:

risky0

Oct 7, 2022
I think this merchant story is misunderstood.
The developer is building infrastructure for the sharing tag so that you can use it in many places in the future.
This sharing thing is not a one-off.
Whether it is avoidable or not, presenting it as an option does not change the fact that it is part of their personality.
+ I prefer games where my LIs don't get fucked by others like a cheap whore at the end of a wrong choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

operamini

Sep 2, 2019
most of the update about this brat and his family, as much as i am a sucker for story can't say i care to help him at all, now this group of poor peasants is supposed to go save the lord, really enjoyed the first update, can't say the same about this one, only scene worth anything as the last one at mc's house, not because of any lewdness but simply because i didn't have to read anymore of his lordship's bs.
specially didn't like the scenes we got in the perspective of the "bad guy", and option to just watch sis be abused wtf, and the "prince" let it slide,
really strong start but at this point might drop it next chapter.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
option to just watch sis be abused wtf, and the "prince" let it slide,
I mean, if it was a forced scene I'd agree with you, but player can just have Branson interrupt Caleb before he gets to molest Kaela.
So I don't get why this is even an issue given it's avoidable.

Also, the dev explains his reasoning for that scene and the option here in the post I quoted below;

Yes, Avoidable is the goal for most if not all things, especially if your character would be engaged in the actives. Just like the scenario with Caleb and Kaela. That scene also is more defining Branson's personality versus what your character would do. When I wrote out the tags I was trying to think of what was possible in the story so players are not surprised if something came up during gameplay. Many of the tags are a very small part of the game and put there more for awareness and not to try and lure anyone in.

underwatersparkle

Mar 30, 2022
nice i am liking this so far but is or will their be a option(s) to romance more than one either it be harem or polyamory or what not ? because looks as though right now where one door opens for one LI another shuts on another one depending on choices so that would be what a yes and no ? either way i like it and will play it next update thanks again

swbfvd

Aug 16, 2016
I have an animation in this version now, but it's so small I didn't want to advertise it. It was more to test doing one and incorporating it. If things go well, I would like to include more in the future. I just wanted to get more experience with them before telling players to expect them.

Incest - Currently the incest is in a later part of the story and depends on which path you take; it would be between you the male character and 2 sisters.

Sharing - This is part of a random encounter I had written for later in the game. You and your group come across traveling merchants. One of them has an item you want, but you have nothing he wants in trade... or do you? His gaze sure is lingering on your female companion...
I 100% love the idea of that sharing scene! Could to lead to corruption in a way, like you have to talk them into it, based on decisions you've made in the past, they could just flat out deny or accept the attempt kind of thing.

LinchCAP

Feb 20, 2022
Good morning :D
First of all I tried the game (in Spanish, there is a group that translated it very well) and I really liked what I saw and I will be watching the game. A follow up

My question would be if there are chances to include in the game a guide, that at the beginning is not so necessary because we don't have many paths but in the long run it is branching so much that one has to get lost.

Saphfire

Mar 19, 2022
Hm, i am not at the end of the update so just a few thoughts so far.
There are two types of games that can be count as financially successfull: harem with or without incest content and ntr games (somewhat). And yes i am aware that there are exceptions to this rule but only a few....
But almost every successful game has one thing in common and that is animations.
We live in 2023 and even dev´s that only owns a gtx 1060 are capable of providing animations, and the dev´s that rely on static renders are the dying species. This game here could be successful, but without proper animations.... well, i doubt it.
I just checked my patreon dev support and (i support 80 devs) every single one provides stunning renders and animations and of course a really good story.

Reactions: İlke Kurtluteoe

RewindWorld

Jan 27, 2020
JJJ84

1) I have a journal in the game currently that has pages for different characters and updates as you make choices in the game to track what you have done and also provide some extra info on the characters. Its located on the bottom of the screen with the load and save quick menu. I originally had a little book icon that would flash when it was updated and stayed in the top corner of the screen so you could click it, but I thought that might be too distracting. I would love feedback on that: Is the handwritten font too much, what more would player like to see in the journal, how often should it update, etc. I wanted the journal to be a big part of the game with maps and other features. But I wasn’t sure how many people would even use it so for now I have just been updating it with the details of what happens with your playthrough and some of your characters internal thoughts.

View attachment 2874286

2)

3) Yes there will be a scene replay gallery

4)

As for the LIs, I wanted them to all have different personalities and stories, so Kaela is very different than Qinara. So much that if you are drawn to one, you might not care for the other. I have some stories for Kaela that should make a relationship with her interesting, and if not, there are a couple other LIs that will give Qinara some competition.
I didn't even see journal until you mentioned it in your post, but I don't really use quick menu so that's probably why. I just use ESC to save/load etc.

It's nice. I like the font, but I doubt I'd use it often. After all, it mostly explains events player has experienced in the game. I get it's useful for tracking choices player has made, especially after long time between updates, but still unless there is more info in there I doubt I'll be reading it often. I tried to think what else could one put in the journal, but tbh everything I think of would be better off being in the game itself rather than journal.

Really nice game so far btw:)

Reactions: İlke Kurtluteoe

RewindWorld

Jan 27, 2020
Hm, i am not at the end of the update so just a few thoughts so far.
There are two types of games that can be count as financially successfull: harem with or without incest content and ntr games (somewhat). And yes i am aware that there are exceptions to this rule but only a few....
But almost every successful game has one thing in common and that is animations.
We live in 2023 and even dev´s that only owns a gtx 1060 are capable of providing animations, and the dev´s that rely on static renders are the dying species. This game here could be successful, but without proper animations.... well, i doubt it.
I just checked my patreon dev support and (i support 80 devs) every single one provides stunning renders and animations and of course a really good story.
Personally, I can enjoy VNs w/o animations just fine.
I can think of a game or two that were negatively influenced by some devs trying to implement animations when they don't have resources to do so/don't know how etc. Updates get delayed/games get remade/people get pissed of updates are taking too long etc.

I know I'd rather take non ani update a month sooner rather than wait for one with 10 second animation on repeat.

Forgotted

Sep 1, 2020
For some reason the Rollback is glitchy, sometimes it works, other times i have to hope it autosaved

I don't think it's glitchy, I think the Dev has it disabled on choices.
I tried an older version of unren but it didn't work either.

Nevermind... The newer version of unren works fine and you
can enable rollback if you want.

Cheers

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 18 Votes